Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Deakul posted:

This just randomly got stuck in my for like a month straight and I finally remembered where I heard it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpEVPn1jzuU

Wow! That brings back memories. I had totally forgotten about this tune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh my god I thought for sure it was duke nukem but I can't find poo poo on dn3d with him wearing glovelikes. His hand model is naked as a jaybird! Disgusting

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I did the exact same thing

You have retroactively remembered DNF's fingerless glove as being DN3D's fingerless-less glove.

The 7th Guest posted:

Blood West is way too brutal and frustrating, I’m not having any fun. Disappointed.

It's very important to sneak around, draw away individuals from the mob(s), and go for headshots--particularly in the early game; sometimes avoiding a gaggle is preferable to engaging them.

I'm wrapping up Chapter 1 right now and I feel like I've gotten to a place where I can periodically go "loud" and aggressive with things, given my growing availability of weapons, ammo, and character skills.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Blood: Fleshed Out E1M5

this level set rules :spooky::ghost::supaburn:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's very important to sneak around, draw away individuals from the mob(s), and go for headshots--particularly in the early game; sometimes avoiding a gaggle is preferable to engaging them.

I'm wrapping up Chapter 1 right now and I feel like I've gotten to a place where I can periodically go "loud" and aggressive with things, given my growing availability of weapons, ammo, and character skills.
i feel like the game is too headshot oriented, and it's very difficult to get headshots on controller because of the weapon sway. and then there's the death system where you get cursed, and it has a spiraling effect. like one of the curses you get from dying is that your footsteps become much louder, making stealth almost impossible, and in order to get rid of the curse you have to do a randomly chosen task, one of which is "kill X enemies stealthily". at the point where i quit i had like 3 curses on me

i kind of wish the game went with more of an immsim design because some places, like the watchtower, there's just the one path up as far as i can tell, and the place is swarming with enemies

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The 7th Guest posted:

i feel like the game is too headshot oriented, and it's very difficult to get headshots on controller because of the weapon sway. and then there's the death system where you get cursed, and it has a spiraling effect. like one of the curses you get from dying is that your footsteps become much louder, making stealth almost impossible, and in order to get rid of the curse you have to do a randomly chosen task, one of which is "kill X enemies stealthily". at the point where i quit i had like 3 curses on me

i kind of wish the game went with more of an immsim design because some places, like the watchtower, there's just the one path up as far as i can tell, and the place is swarming with enemies

You can get rid of curse by drinking one of those purple potions. They're relatively expensive in the very early game ($50 or $60 I think) but by the time I was halfway through chapter 1, I almost always had a couple in reserve. My strategy has been to only use them once I've died twice in a row, since curse level 1 penalties are usually pretty nominal.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Deakul posted:

This just randomly got stuck in my head for like a month straight and I finally remembered where I heard it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpEVPn1jzuU

This is probably my 2nd favorite wolf 3d tune, it's just perfect paused game music.

My favorite though is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twDo_E6Sv_s

Though I wouldn't be surprised if I was alone in that, haha.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You're fine as long as it's not the main menu theme.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

anilEhilated posted:

You're fine as long as it's not the main menu theme.

I’ve told this story before but that was my favorite tune. I would hum it in school and everything.

Only decades later I learn it’s the loving Nazi Party theme song

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Doom Clones :colbert:

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

david_a posted:

I’ve told this story before but that was my favorite tune. I would hum it in school and everything.

oh gently caress :O

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Doom Clones, and "Doom Killers" if you're feeling nastay :twisted::twisted:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

david_a posted:

lol

lmao

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

david_a posted:

lmao

when I was a kid I thought it sounded quite similar to the US national anthem, I would not be surprised if the Nazis ripped off the harmony of "The Star-Spangled Banner" rather than properly write their own dumb nationalist song

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Convex posted:

i struggle to play wolf3d these days, but well done, this looks good!

You can use ECWolf or this version of the DOS exe (though you will need Borland C++ to compile the DOS engine from source, you can use this guide) to deshittify the controls and make it play like a modern FPS.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

just call them retro shooters IDK why people hem and haw over it so much

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Don't blame anyone for objecting to being lumped in with boomers tbh.

Got Quake, Doom and Doom Eternal off xmas sale and I honestly feel like that might be enough for the year end, everything else I either got and am waiting for 1.0 or comes out next year (or later). Next year looking gooooood though. Selaco and Fallen Aces and probably Cultic Ch2 I bet, Viscerafest and Wrath full release, I feel Ultrakill too.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

just call them retro shooters IDK why people hem and haw over it so much

call them boomer shooters because that is what they're called now, prescriptivism is dumb

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It’s a dumb genre name and I will only play genres with sensible names. Like Multiplayer Online Battle Arena games and Blobbers. :colbert:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Jerry seinfeld: and what's the deal with roguelites?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Me, a human genius, creating a new genre of gaming correctly spelled "rougelites"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Me, a human genius, creating a new genre of gaming correctly spelled "rougelites"

that's just a fashion police squad randomizer mode

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Well finished up Eternal. 15 hours, not too bad for 10 bucks. Frustrating in a few parts but ultimately pretty fun with a few foibles. Finally lost my no deaths to boss streak on the second phase of the icon, thought the jump pad was going to take me right to the megasphere but nope, you gotta do some maneuvering on your own and couldn't double back fast enough the second time around. Oh well. Looks and plays amazing though, cannot stress how technically amazing it is. Story was stupid as gently caress but I had ample warning there. I kind of tuned it out at a certain point, though I did smile at a few of the things the evil HR (redundant) lady was saying. The scientist who starts describing the doom guy (it's guy, don't care) in the recordings was more eye rolling than anything else in the game. Lady needs to take a cold shower and badly.

e: someone said I think that doom1/2 are canon in the the nudoom world, where's that implied? I'm definitely not playing through 4 just to find out, but I might have missed it in eternal due to everything being stupid

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Dec 29, 2023

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Milo and POTUS posted:

e: someone said I think that doom1/2 are canon in the the nudoom world, where's that implied? I'm definitely not playing through 4 just to find out, but I might have missed it in eternal due to everything being stupid

The super shotgun is described as “a relic from your past” when you pick it up.

That’s the only call back I clearly remember, although I too took the right approach in not paying attention to a shred of Eternals narrative - best described by another user in this very thread as “sub-Warhammer”

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Bumhead posted:

The super shotgun is described as “a relic from your past” when you pick it up.

That’s the only call back I clearly remember, although I too took the right approach in not paying attention to a shred of Eternals narrative - best described by another user in this very thread as “sub-Warhammer”

you can also unlock the original doomguy outfit in the doom fortress using some doom batteries

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

They also allude to Daisy the rabbit from doom 2 in several ways, which is the most important piece of canon.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

It’s not implied, it’s specifically stated in some of the extra texts and the level with the gladiator fight. Basically what became the Hell Priests found Doom Guy (lost crossing the multiverse fighting infinite demons after the ending of Doom 64) and inducted him into the Night Sentinels. Then after the Priests, the Maykr etc were corrupted by Hell, they couldn’t kill the Doom Slayer so they trapped him in a sarcophagus, leading to the beginning of Doom 2016.

Doom 1 and Doom 2 happen before Doom 64.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Arivia posted:

It’s not implied, it’s specifically stated in some of the extra texts and the level with the gladiator fight. Basically what became the Hell Priests found Doom Guy (lost crossing the multiverse fighting infinite demons after the ending of Doom 64) and inducted him into the Night Sentinels. Then after the Priests, the Maykr etc were corrupted by Hell, they couldn’t kill the Doom Slayer so they trapped him in a sarcophagus, leading to the beginning of Doom 2016.

Doom 1 and Doom 2 happen before Doom 64.

Yea, he just shows up out of nowhere and everyone is like "what the gently caress is THIS", even when the Maykrs/Priests were good guys

Doom 2016's "lore" is pretty inclusive - woke up pissed off, Demons are bad, Olivia is mean, weird flashbacks, errr Sam's a loving cyborg?, ghosts with medieval shields in Hell, obvious sequel hook, the end
Doom Eternal expands on this a lot, but if you didn't give a gently caress before, you don't need to give a gently caress now, you got a SSG AND a loving meathook, who cares
Doom DLC1 is even more expansion on the Makyrs, and then HEY THAT'S ME NAKED
Doom DLC2 is...well. spoiler

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't know if this is effectively what happens in either nudum but I really like the idea of demons doing interdimensional experiments to try and break through to our dimension and conquer it but they accidentally summon DoomGuy who just loving rampages through their flesh halls and techbases.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't know if this is effectively what happens in either nudum but I really like the idea of demons doing interdimensional experiments to try and break through to our dimension and conquer it but they accidentally summon DoomGuy who just loving rampages through their flesh halls and techbases.

Like the moment the portal snaps open, Doomguy is bursting through foaming at the mouth screaming bloody murder ripping imp eggheads off and the demons are like "oh jesus christ" because they still say that in hell world

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They shoulda based the new games off the books.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Groovelord Neato posted:

They shoulda based the new games off the books.

I'd play a Doom novel gameization, even with all the weird Mormonism poo poo going on.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Replace Samuel Hayden with Sears & Roebuck, the two-headed alien Klave that looks like a cross between Magilla the Gorilla & Alley Oop with Popeye arms.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

I haven't played Eternal, but as far as I can tell this is basically what happens, yes. In Doom 1 they accidentally summoned Doomguy by unwisely leaving the link between Phobos and Deimos open, and learned why "do not call up that which you cannot put down" is such an important rule for summoners, and every game since has been them trying to gently caress with humanity in ways that don't attract Doomguy's attention and failing.

This also reminds me that I should play Doom64 one of these days.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's only $1.64 (I see what they did there) on steam right now

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Replace Samuel Hayden with Sears & Roebuck, the two-headed alien Klave that looks like a cross between Magilla the Gorilla & Alley Oop with Popeye arms.

You get me. I wanna use my two other squadmates to blow their mind by asking questions from three(!!!) directions simultaneously while we're on our way to kill all the Freds on their home planet.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i am at the end of ch1 in blood west and i don't know if my opinion's really changed. i have had more success stealthing and headshotting, but it's never felt like i've been able to define my own playstyle. no matter what perks you choose, it can't make up for the level design being as bad as it is. like the watchtower, for example, where there is only a single spiral path up to the tower, and it's littered with enemies. there is no back way to the tower, and the distraction pebble is not super useful unless you plan to spend like 10 minutes slowly and methodically leading enemies down the path and then away from the path (because they quickly turn back around after checking the pebble). maybe the other chapters are better about this? but the final sequence in chapter 1 is pretty brutal. you have to shoot a bunch of seeds that bring the boss's health down to 50% before fighting them (and this knowledge is given to you only if you 100% chapter 1), but it's a really long section with a ton of enemies, who all respawn on death -- which isn't the case anywhere else in the world. and there are times where it's just a straight shoot in pathing so you can't really sneak around them. i just don't understand the design decisions made at nearly every turn

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Baron von Eevl posted:

Maybe there's infinite doomguys and they're hoping for kid who's playing doom for first time in 1994 and oops, got professional speedrunner player, gonna rampage through hell in 25 minutes or less

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Yea, he just shows up out of nowhere and everyone is like "what the gently caress is THIS", even when the Maykrs/Priests were good guys

Doom 2016's "lore" is pretty inclusive - woke up pissed off, Demons are bad, Olivia is mean, weird flashbacks, errr Sam's a loving cyborg?, ghosts with medieval shields in Hell, obvious sequel hook, the end
Doom Eternal expands on this a lot, but if you didn't give a gently caress before, you don't need to give a gently caress now, you got a SSG AND a loving meathook, who cares
Doom DLC1 is even more expansion on the Makyrs, and then HEY THAT'S ME NAKED
Doom DLC2 is...well. spoiler

I find the World of Warcraft poo poo they added in Doom Eternal to be the worst thing about it, Doom doesn't need lore

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Name Change posted:

I find the World of Warcraft poo poo they added in Doom Eternal to be the worst thing about it, Doom doesn't need lore

Agreed on the WoW stuff, it's loving awful. But the lore in '16 was actually good! And also not constantly in your face and interrupting you if you didn't want to engage with it either.
Luckily the gameplay owns bones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Name Change posted:

It's really really bad the books would've been a step up I was only half joking.