Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Started getting into Marvel Champions again, because with Arkham Horror moving to its new release model, I need something with regular releases to waste money on. Few questions:

1: Is there an upgraded rules reference, they've introduced a whole lot of new keywords and mechanics since I last played.

2: How do modular villain encounter sets work, I know some villains straight-up say 'you can use any one', while others have specific ones mentioned that you're supposed to use. If I use random encounter sets for those in the latter category instead, will it significantly break the game?

3: How are the default/recommended decks in this game, I'm lazy to deckbuild but I know the ones for Arkham at least are hot garbage and you're better off picking any random deck off ArkhamDB at random than using those.

4. If I play the campaign villains standalone, are there any difficulty adjustments I have to make, because I know you earn campaign upgrades that make you stronger if you play them campaign-style, and I don't know how viable it is to fight them as printed without those.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
3. Go with the recommended lots of like decks on marveldb.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Inadequately posted:

Started getting into Marvel Champions again, because with Arkham Horror moving to its new release model, I need something with regular releases to waste money on. Few questions:

1: Is there an upgraded rules reference, they've introduced a whole lot of new keywords and mechanics since I last played.

2: How do modular villain encounter sets work, I know some villains straight-up say 'you can use any one', while others have specific ones mentioned that you're supposed to use. If I use random encounter sets for those in the latter category instead, will it significantly break the game?

3: How are the default/recommended decks in this game, I'm lazy to deckbuild but I know the ones for Arkham at least are hot garbage and you're better off picking any random deck off ArkhamDB at random than using those.

4. If I play the campaign villains standalone, are there any difficulty adjustments I have to make, because I know you earn campaign upgrades that make you stronger if you play them campaign-style, and I don't know how viable it is to fight them as printed without those.

1) Yes. You can find it on their website

2) The encounters all have a required modular, and then they will tell you the recommended modular set. The recommended ones can be be swapped out to make it easier/harder if you wish

3) Some are okay but most have cards that gum up the works because they put 3 in a deck expecting you’d take some out. Just netdeck if you don’t want to build.

4) I don’t ever play campaign and it’s fine. Campaign can make things easier with extra cards and sometimes makes things harder. The benefit is that you feel like you’re playing a story.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

that new Sidekick stuff is gonna be awesome with a Spider-Man voltron deck for Black Cat.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

DLC Inc posted:

that new Sidekick stuff is gonna be awesome with a Spider-Man voltron deck for Black Cat.

Someone on Facebook suggested that they make a version for every aspect; which I agree with and hope they do.

It's silly how a pair of cards can create a completely new archetype of deck, and yet they can't seem to do this for aggression. Aggression really needs some subthemes that change how it plays. They also really need to figure out how to let Aggression thwart without tying it into an uncontrollable board state. The upgrade that lets you thwart a side scheme using your atk really should have been a permanent upgrade for your hero rather than an attachment.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

Someone on Facebook suggested that they make a version for every aspect; which I agree with and hope they do.

It's silly how a pair of cards can create a completely new archetype of deck, and yet they can't seem to do this for aggression. Aggression really needs some subthemes that change how it plays. They also really need to figure out how to let Aggression thwart without tying it into an uncontrollable board state. The upgrade that lets you thwart a side scheme using your atk really should have been a permanent upgrade for your hero rather than an attachment.

Aggression does kind of get attached mainly to a few heroes because it makes sense i.e. Thor's minion card-draw ability, so why wouldn't you take stuff like Into The Fray, Dive Bomb, tons of other stuff to take advantage of his already-huge power level, or Wolverine for the same reason (can take hits so why not use Looking For Trouble, Toe to Toe, etc). And then for those heroes, it's expected that you either burst down the problem (Wolverine) or use the inherent kit to do things like "overkill goes towards thwarting (Thor).

When you take Aggression with heroes like Spider-Man or Agent Venom, then the thwarting stuff is pretty thin for them (Venom gets multigun and Behind Enemy Lines at least but Spidey is really relegated to the same cards everyone would have like Looking for Trouble, Into The Fray). I think it really just boils down to not every hero being able to take ANY aspect easy, which is fine---you look at a character like Cyclops and it's pretty obvious they want you to build Leadership, or take Protection with Drax, stuff like that. There are def a lot of character who can play 2 or 3 aspects well, rarer still are those who can do all 4 somewhat well. But honestly there's a handful of characters who just don't work as well outside of what a precon aspect is hinting at what their role is.

Tldr Aggression needs more cards that do thwarting as a bonus for their big attacks, currently I think most aggression decks basically requires you to take Into The Fray. There's gotta be a better way to build some of those decks outside of buying 2 or 3 copies of Wasp's pack for them lol.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’ll just throw it out in the thread. If anyone’s able to get their hands on a promo kit I’ll make it worth their while to send one to me. I don’t feel like spending the 300$ that scalpers want.

FFG sucks so much poo poo. “Yes, your LCS will ask us for product and we’ll just shrug”

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

The Black Stones posted:

I’ll just throw it out in the thread. If anyone’s able to get their hands on a promo kit I’ll make it worth their while to send one to me. I don’t feel like spending the 300$ that scalpers want.

FFG sucks so much poo poo. “Yes, your LCS will ask us for product and we’ll just shrug”

OOTL. What promo kit? Why does FFG suck?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Sorry should have been specific. The Marvel Champions Next Evolution one that just came out.

FFG sucks because they completely ignore stores. My store has tried to get them, but the distributor FFG uses doesn’t give a poo poo to give it to them. You can’t order these any other way, so if you want the cool alternate art, you’re at EBay mercy. It’s over 300$ Canadian to get a promo which would cost like, 50$ total if FFG could actually get them to all stores that wanted one.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

The Black Stones posted:

Sorry should have been specific. The Marvel Champions Next Evolution one that just came out.

FFG sucks because they completely ignore stores. My store has tried to get them, but the distributor FFG uses doesn’t give a poo poo to give it to them. You can’t order these any other way, so if you want the cool alternate art, you’re at EBay mercy. It’s over 300$ Canadian to get a promo which would cost like, 50$ total if FFG could actually get them to all stores that wanted one.

It's dumb to me that they don't sell these direct to players after a certain period. If you live in a place that doesn't bother ordering them, or they just randomly only send them to whoever they feel like and that doesn't include you; then you really have no way to get them.

I don't actually want the promo stuff for MC, but getting the stuff for previous FFG games was a pain. They were all print on demand so there was no reason to not try and make money off them once the season was over by putting them up for sale on the website. Hell they could even charge more than the stores pay so that stores would have to lower their prices on ebay to resell them and that would benefit the consumer a ton.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
On the one hand, I get it: if you can't get them it sucks that you can't get them.

On the other hand, my understanding is that these promos are to support Organized Play, and if they're made available outside OP then that kind of defeats the purpose of having the promos.

Honestly, I think OP promos are kind of a mistake for an LCG: LCG people have a "get everything" mentality that clashes with it, whereas TCG players tend to accept that they're not able to get complete sets of everything.

I know that the Asmodee distributor kind of sucks rear end which is why FFG opted not to use them for Star Wars Unlimited.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah, I know it’s outside of OP it shouldn’t be available. However, my store tries to get it as an OP thing and can’t. It sucks to see it on EBay for 300$ because FFG can’t control it. I’d rather they just not do it at that point if they aren’t going to have any control.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

CitizenKeen posted:

On the other hand, my understanding is that these promos are to support Organized Play, and if they're made available outside OP then that kind of defeats the purpose of having the promos.

That's why I said out of season. After a cycle of promos ends and a new one begins the old ones should be available for everyone to purchase if they want them.

Supporting OP is a great idea in theory but if it's 50/50 that your LGS is going to get them, or that you have to go way out of your way to find an LGS that does then that kind of defeats the point. Also having stores just turn around and flip the kits isn't better for consumers either. These kits aren't like FNM promos where WotC would send them out like candy on Halloween. Sadly FFG OP just isn't at that level and as a result many customers, have a negative experience instead of a positive one.

I'm really curious to see how the Star Wars game turns out. The art is so bad on the normal card, I feel like I'd need to get the some of the alternate arts just to enjoy it.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

PaybackJack posted:

That's why I said out of season. After a cycle of promos ends and a new one begins the old ones should be available for everyone to purchase if they want them.

Supporting OP is a great idea in theory but if it's 50/50 that your LGS is going to get them, or that you have to go way out of your way to find an LGS that does then that kind of defeats the point. Also having stores just turn around and flip the kits isn't better for consumers either. These kits aren't like FNM promos where WotC would send them out like candy on Halloween. Sadly FFG OP just isn't at that level and as a result many customers, have a negative experience instead of a positive one.

I'm really curious to see how the Star Wars game turns out. The art is so bad on the normal card, I feel like I'd need to get the some of the alternate arts just to enjoy it.

But assume the there's OP in my town, but I know I can just order them in a few months. I'm not in a rush - what's the incentive to go get them at my LGS if I can just order them online? They have to be exclusive or the value to the OP program is nil. Like, it's exclusionary and it sucks if you're excluded, but I feel like that's the name of the game. Looking at the exclusive cards at something like Flesh and Blood, which most stores around me can't get, sucks too.

Again, I think it was a mistake to do them with an LCG - you were never going to get the store buy-in for them that a TCG OP can generate.

Truth be told, it's my understanding all the MC promos are just trial balloons to get the printing and distribution tested for SWU.

I absolutely loving love the SWU art, but yeah, it's pretty contentious. Off-topic for thread, I guess.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

CitizenKeen posted:

But assume the there's OP in my town, but I know I can just order them in a few months. I'm not in a rush - what's the incentive to go get them at my LGS if I can just order them online? They have to be exclusive or the value to the OP program is nil. Like, it's exclusionary and it sucks if you're excluded, but I feel like that's the name of the game. Looking at the exclusive cards at something like Flesh and Blood, which most stores around me can't get, sucks too.

The incentive is that would you get them for free(* cost of the event), you'd be able to experience the release event with other people, and you'd get them months early.

The point of the OP is to get people to go out to the store and partake in the event, but if they just want the cards they're already just going to order them online.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

PaybackJack posted:

The incentive is that would you get them for free(* cost of the event), you'd be able to experience the release event with other people, and you'd get them months early.

The point of the OP is to get people to go out to the store and partake in the event, but if they just want the cards they're already just going to order them online.

1. Get Them For Free: When you factor in gas, that's drat close to a wash, but I'll grant it.
  2. Experience the Release Event: This is the value of having OP already, irrespective of promos. It's either worth interacting with other human beings or it's not, "free cards" doesn't change the value of that.
  3. Get Them Months Early: Given that we have 1-2 month differences in peoples' ability to get the actual product, this seems of negligible value at best.

I get that it sucks. "I wish Asmodee distribution didn't suck" is a take I probably agree with. "I wish Asmodee and the stores in my area could get on the same page" is a take I think everybody agrees on. "I wish there was a store within driving distance that had MC OP" is a take I think most people empathize with, and is basically unsolvable because there's always somebody somewhere distant.

"They should sell the OP promos direct to consumers" is a take that I think misses the entire point of OP promos.

Anyway, I'm sorry that you want a thing and you can't get a thing without paying exorbitant prices for that thing, that's a badfeel.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

CitizenKeen posted:

1. Get Them For Free: When you factor in gas, that's drat close to a wash, but I'll grant it.
  2. Experience the Release Event: This is the value of having OP already, irrespective of promos. It's either worth interacting with other human beings or it's not, "free cards" doesn't change the value of that.
  3. Get Them Months Early: Given that we have 1-2 month differences in peoples' ability to get the actual product, this seems of negligible value at best.

I get that it sucks. "I wish Asmodee distribution didn't suck" is a take I probably agree with. "I wish Asmodee and the stores in my area could get on the same page" is a take I think everybody agrees on. "I wish there was a store within driving distance that had MC OP" is a take I think most people empathize with, and is basically unsolvable because there's always somebody somewhere distant.

"They should sell the OP promos direct to consumers" is a take that I think misses the entire point of OP promos.

Anyway, I'm sorry that you want a thing and you can't get a thing without paying exorbitant prices for that thing, that's a badfeel.

I'm not missing the point of the OP promos. What is the point of OP promos for a game that doesn't need to have a scene at your LGS? Ignoring the distribution issues of FFG/Asmodee, there's no reason to have OP for coop LCGs beyond the release of an expansion and then not offer them to your players. An OP promo is designed to help maintain a scene or promote the release of a new product. 95% of the player base for this game are not buying this and then sitting down in the store to play with other players. They aren't showing up weekly to play with their buddies. This is game played by families, small game groups, and individuals.

I have no problems with OP promos for games like Netrunner, Star Wars, L5R, SWU; that's all fine because those are competitive games that are designed to be played at store with other people. I played FNM for years and while the promos were cool, they were a bonus that rewarded people for doing the thing they already wanted to do: show up and play. I ran Netrunner, and L5R for years; still have a ton of promos(sent a bunch of Netrunner ones to people from SA for free because we had extras). No problem with them not selling promos for those games because those games had a scene that needed to be reinforced with prize support. This is not about me, because if i wanted the Marvel Champions promos I could have them.

There is zero reason for a cooperative/single player game to have restricted promos.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

PaybackJack posted:

I'm not missing the point of the OP promos. What is the point of OP promos for a game that doesn't need to have a scene at your LGS? Ignoring the distribution issues of FFG/Asmodee, there's no reason to have OP for coop LCGs beyond the release of an expansion and then not offer them to your players. An OP promo is designed to help maintain a scene or promote the release of a new product. 95% of the player base for this game are not buying this and then sitting down in the store to play with other players. They aren't showing up weekly to play with their buddies. This is game played by families, small game groups, and individuals.

I have no problems with OP promos for games like Netrunner, Star Wars, L5R, SWU; that's all fine because those are competitive games that are designed to be played at store with other people. I played FNM for years and while the promos were cool, they were a bonus that rewarded people for doing the thing they already wanted to do: show up and play. I ran Netrunner, and L5R for years; still have a ton of promos(sent a bunch of Netrunner ones to people from SA for free because we had extras). No problem with them not selling promos for those games because those games had a scene that needed to be reinforced with prize support. This is not about me, because if i wanted the Marvel Champions promos I could have them.

There is zero reason for a cooperative/single player game to have restricted promos.

You and I are in agreement; I don't think they need to exist for MC.

I'll be curious to see if they continue to do so after SWU launches.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

X-23 and Deadpool came in on Monday. Haven't played with Deadpool yet, although I did throw some of the 'pool aspect cards into Adam Warlock just to see how it would play and it was not very good, or at least I haven't found the right combination yet that makes it work; it just feels too weak losing out on one of his powers.

X-23 is amazing though. I thought she was going to be kind of middle of the road and not very fun to play but actually she's like Captain America 2.0 with huge bomb potential. I'm running a Leadership deck that builds up Honey Badger for a huge 50+ damage turn in order to one shot the villain in expert mode. Tested against Magneto and am currently at 10/2, the losses being from triple attack turns early in the game. Overall though, she's very well rounded and a lot more fun to play than I thought she would be. I'm hesitant to say she's S-tier but she's definitely high A. Having a very cheap deck is also quite nice.

Deadpool looks pretty strong given his damage potential but I also wonder how interesting he's going to be game to game. If you are always just bombing out with Maximum Effort and This Card is Fire every game he could be pretty boring. X-23 can be built in more versatile ways. Having listened to a few content creators for the game, it seems like this was a big complaint of Archangel: his kit is so strong that you're just playing it every game and you don't really care that much about your aspect cards. I never really thought too much about that, but I do think it's a valid criticism and probably a reason I won't be rush back to play Angel even though he's very good.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Warren Worthington has some really fun protection cards, including a tap an ally to defend and prevent three damage card that draws you a card in Angel form. pairing him with cannonball, snow guard and Vivian is super fun. Especially in campaign, where you get stat boosts and/or additional readies, you have a lot of cards you wanna play, especially with teambuilding exercise giving you a one cost thw 2/ready.

X 23 is a lot of fun in aggression in duo, and she heals a lot differently than wolverine. We did leadership Wolverine/aggression X-22 and she was flipping a lot more than he did. Safe house is definitely the first upgrade you’re gonna want with her in the next GEN campaign.

She’s interesting because her signature ally is a member of the X-Men, so you’ll want to pair her with one of them and get game time going. but she’s intriguing because you can defend every round and guarantee two activations during the hero phase, three if honey is around. But you gotta pay the piper and use that six recovery eventually.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Been meaning to get more use out of my Marvel Champions collection, so over the course of the Christmas break I tossed together a few netdecks and managed to get some 2-handed games in:

#1: Wolverine (Aggression) and Venom (Justice) vs Rhino

Quick tutorial villain to get back into the swing of things, decent warmup but it went by so quickly I barely got a feel for the decks. It's Rhino.

#2: Wolverine (Aggression) and Venom (Justice) vs Klaw

Slightly longer game, got a better feel of the decks this time. Wolverine was pretty straightforward to pilot, but then again there's not all that much variety in Aggression decks. Venom was focused on confuse-locking him, allowing me quite a lot of safe turns to hang out in Alter-Ego form. Not all that much in the way of actual threat removal though, so after this game I swapped out some of the confusion events for thwarting ones.

Side note: I know it's an artifact of the times, but Venom being Flash Thompson, The Amazing Gun-Man in this game (as well as a Guardian (?) Space Knight (??)) always feels a bit off, given that they've been leaning harder into Eddie Brock Venom in recent years, along with the whole 'he is a horrible slime monster from space who eats people' aspect (with varying degrees of 'oh no' to 'hell yeah' depending on media). Maybe there'll be another Venom down the line that hews closer to that approach, though.

#3: Ghost-Spider (Protection) and Black Widow (Justice) vs Green Goblin (Risky Business)

Not too difficult a fight, though I ran Running Interference for the modular encounter set, which usually tends to be a fairly easy one to deal with. Pretty easy fight, but I like the whole dynamic of slowly needling Osborn till he gets mad enough to go Goblin Mode, at which point you can beat him up with impunity.

#4: Captain America (Leadership) and Domino (Protection) vs Crossbones

Had to call this one off early for dinner, but things were probably going poorly enough to call this one a loss. I think next time I need to stop worrying about keeping his schemes at stage 1 or 2, and focus on just building up my board and keeping some resources in hand to discard the Experimental Weapons. Maybe a protection deck built around stunlocking him would be useful too.

Before I play any more, I think I'm going to print out something that helps me track the modified hero/villain stats, it's easy to lose track of them, especially temporary boosts from a one-shot.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It’s really not a reason to keep crossbones and stage one unless you’re playing campaign.

They did do any Brock venom, in the Spider campaign box.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Lol secondary market LotR LCG Chapter pack prices are insane, espeically for the packs they aren't planning on reprinting.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

tomdidiot posted:

Lol secondary market LotR LCG Chapter pack prices are insane, espeically for the packs they aren't planning on reprinting.

If you dig around you can find print-ready PDFs of all the cards. Some print-to-order places will print the actual card backs too.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Iceman is the first preview of the last group of X-Men.

I can't say I really are that much about Iceman and his gimmick isn't super interesting but he might be alright.

The aggression theme of attacking enemies with upgrades attached is also a bit too fiddly for my tastes, but I am happy to see that they aren't abandoning player side schemes.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
cant wait to be done with x men

everwake
Aug 9, 2021

Discord: everwake#0311
Steam: Everwake
Xbox: everwake#3338
PlayStation: everwakePS
Nintendo: SW-0815-2733-9404
Mastodon: https://gamepad.club/@everwake

John Romero posted:

cant wait to be done with x men

Hey, that's how I felt for the entirety of the '90s!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I think Iceman looks cool. Great compliment to Cyclops, and it’s a new interesting way to try lock down a villain. They’ve been overly relying on Steady or Stalwart to make it so that any heroes whose gimmick is to confuse or stun loses a bunch of their toolkit. Iceman seems neat because he provides a way to be effective even in those scenarios.

I’m looking forward to the rest of the X-men in this set, but I’m very much ready to move on as well. I’d love another round of Spider heroes. Still need Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Punisher, etc.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

I think Iceman looks cool. Great compliment to Cyclops, and it’s a new interesting way to try lock down a villain. They’ve been overly relying on Steady or Stalwart to make it so that any heroes whose gimmick is to confuse or stun loses a bunch of their toolkit. Iceman seems neat because he provides a way to be effective even in those scenarios.

I’m looking forward to the rest of the X-men in this set, but I’m very much ready to move on as well. I’d love another round of Spider heroes. Still need Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Punisher, etc.

Nightcrawler is going to be interesting to me, but Beast and Jubilee are extremely boring and I hope they have some interesting designs in mind to spice them up.

Assuming they have the license beyond this X-Men arc, I figure we're getting an extended Marvel Knights arc. Fantastic Four won the fan poll on Facebook last time I checked but with the Netflix stuff becoming MCU canon I think we're getting that stuff looped in. Daredevil, Elektra, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Misty Knight, Moon Knight, Echo, and Punisher. Maybe even looping into a few Young Avengers with Hawkeye(Kate), America Chavez, and Stature(or whatever name Cassie is using now).

I don't think we'll see FF until they join the MCU and the game could be long dead by then. I don't see Disney doing the LotR thing and just letting them toss out a wave every year till the end of time.

Re: Iceman. He looks just ok to me, at least the X-Men have a good way of readying with allies and Utopia. That said, he looks like he can't handle schemes for poo poo so I hope the missing cards in his card are very strong thwart ones. He's another hero that's going to play a million times better with Cable letting him get his upgrade asap.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I think his best synergy is with storm, manipulating ally damage and lowering enemy damage. Ice clones seem pretty easy to Voltron for their cost, even better if you give them honorary X-Men.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

PaybackJack posted:

Nightcrawler is going to be interesting to me, but Beast and Jubilee are extremely boring and I hope they have some interesting designs in mind to spice them up.

Assuming they have the license beyond this X-Men arc, I figure we're getting an extended Marvel Knights arc. Fantastic Four won the fan poll on Facebook last time I checked but with the Netflix stuff becoming MCU canon I think we're getting that stuff looped in. Daredevil, Elektra, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Misty Knight, Moon Knight, Echo, and Punisher. Maybe even looping into a few Young Avengers with Hawkeye(Kate), America Chavez, and Stature(or whatever name Cassie is using now).

I don't think we'll see FF until they join the MCU and the game could be long dead by then. I don't see Disney doing the LotR thing and just letting them toss out a wave every year till the end of time.

Re: Iceman. He looks just ok to me, at least the X-Men have a good way of readying with allies and Utopia. That said, he looks like he can't handle schemes for poo poo so I hope the missing cards in his card are very strong thwart ones. He's another hero that's going to play a million times better with Cable letting him get his upgrade asap.

if Star Wars unlimited doesn’t hit I think things are gonna be tough with asmodee ffg and embracer. i assume disney doesn’t care as much if there’s a miniatures and lcg game that only uses comic appearances and from what i understand both MCP and champions move units. swu has a lot of eyes on it and they hosed up real bad with destiny

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
It's really fascinating watching the SWU launch: FFG's doing pretty much everything right but they're really struggling to overcome the reputational damage from Destiny.

Evilgm
Dec 31, 2014
If it were just Destiny it may have been ignored as a blip, but FFG have bungled pretty much every competitive product they've released, and left a lot of their potential playerbase for future products burnt and wary.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
FFG is a skeleton crew at this point and I have zero faith that they can handle any CCG, much less an IP as big as Star Wars. Plus Lorcana already ate their lunch.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
The art on the star wars game is so repulsive that I haven’t even looked at the mechanics. It’s a bummer if they have all their eggs in that basket

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

neosloth posted:

The art on the star wars game is so repulsive that I haven’t even looked at the mechanics. It’s a bummer if they have all their eggs in that basket

I think this might be the most fun competitive game they've put out, possibly second to Netrunner.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Destiny, Arkham Horror, and Lord of the Rings LCG doesn't give me a lot of confidence in their playtesting abilities to catch problem cards - or do anything about them in a reasonable span of time.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I mean, every card game that exists has problem cards.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I picked up the co-op lotr card game revised set and I'm going to grab the mirkwood mini expansion followed by the the fellowship and two tower expansion repackages. Could I get some (minimally spoilery) advice on buy orders for the other expansions?

1) Any recommendations for what to get after or even before the book sets? No matter what I'm not buying anything from the 0XX product range because I need to keep a short leash on my completionist urges.

2) Anything from the 100 range I should deliberately skip?

3) About what proportion of the standalone starter deck cards are currently not available in the other rereleases? I'm only really going to be playing two player mostly so duplicates aren't really required, but if there's a fair amount of cards otherwise unavailable in the 1XX range then some unique feeling prebuilt decks might be a fun pickup later.

3.5) is there a full player card list database anywhere? Just card names are fine.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Splicer posted:

I picked up the co-op lotr card game revised set and I'm going to grab the mirkwood mini expansion followed by the the fellowship and two tower expansion repackages. Could I get some (minimally spoilery) advice on buy orders for the other expansions?

1) Any recommendations for what to get after or even before the book sets? No matter what I'm not buying anything from the 0XX product range because I need to keep a short leash on my completionist urges.

2) Anything from the 100 range I should deliberately skip?

3) About what proportion of the standalone starter deck cards are currently not available in the other rereleases? I'm only really going to be playing two player mostly so duplicates aren't really required, but if there's a fair amount of cards otherwise unavailable in the 1XX range then some unique feeling prebuilt decks might be a fun pickup later.

3.5) is there a full player card list database anywhere? Just card names are fine.

Thanks!

1. Depends what decks you want to build. Dark of Mirkwood scenarios aren't bad and are much easier than the other scenarios you could get so may be worth getting those.
2. No, pretty much all the reprint stuff is good. They only reprinted better cycles for LOTR LCG in the new format so far - MEC107 and 108 are essentially 38-44 packaged together, and 110-11 are 47-53. You could skip the starters if you're not interested in playing them though.
3. Quite a lot. https://visionofthepalantir.com/2022/03/11/first-impressions-starter-decks/ - almost all the starter deck conents are from cycles that aren't currently in the pipeline to be reprinted. Player speculation is that the factions were deliberately chosen so players could still play as factions that wouldn't get much support in the planned cardpool. If you want to play those types of decks - grab it.
3.5 hallofbeorn.com, or ringsdb.com - both include the full card pool. If you sign up for an account on ringsdb you can make acustom pool with just the stuff you own/plan to get.