Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Shitenshi posted:

drat, they pulled off an "It was all just a dream," type twist and didn't make me hate it. Well done.

I'm annoyed they spent a good portion of the episode on it for it to be a dream, but it was well done. Doesn't surprise me given she was hardly in the last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

sensenmann420 posted:

Ive been thinking, Juno Temple also played a chatacyer named 'Dot' in Killer Joe, where the Dot in that movie gets sold to a criminal sheriff (played my matthew mc). Is that just a coincidence or is this written to be in the same sort of universe as Killer Joe?

sure

That movie is amazing

I appreciate that they made their own version of this axe murder scene from Fargo The Movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ9q0PoD3Y8&t=98s

Turpitude fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 28, 2023

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I've been really REALLY enjoying this season and this latest episode is maybe the first time I've felt a little sour note, or at least... a little confusion.

What do you think it means that her telling her story FINALLY, getting it all off her chest FINALLY and achieving that catharsis for both her and us took place in a dream? Like, you could have this same issue of a car accident and Roy re-capture without making her therapy session something that didn't really happen without too much changing (barring some weird surprise with the Lindas later), so obviously this is trying to do something, just wondering what.

It was still a really strong episode of TV and maybe the best use of, ah, mixed media I've seen in a show since that robot cartoon in Season... 2?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think there's two impulses. Firstly, the show just likes to have these strange supernatural intercessions happen occasionally. Sometimes it's less ambiguous (flying saucer) and sometimes more so (that shot of Malvo with wings of blood). And, secondly, sending Dot to a separate, liminal space allows the show to talk about spousal abuse in a way that's more protected than sort of letting it play out in the middle of the overall plot.

So this episode could have largely been a coma dream, or perhaps Dot actually went to the land of the dead and talked to Tillman's dead wife and achieved this personal catharsis (I'm leaning towards the latter). But either way you're taking her away to a safe space where the character can work through her issues on her own terms and at her own pace, without the threat of Tillman invading or her wicked mother in law subverting the mental health process, or just the constant stress that Dot's gonna be feeling because of her various jobs and issues and concerns.

And sometimes you just need to have a really good nap.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

uber_stoat posted:

Munch is a Chigurh remix i guess, he has Rules and if you violate the Rules you're hosed. old lady gave Munch hospitality and pancakes and Gator killed her. Gator is not long for the world.
His face when he found her body was amazing.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

NorgLyle posted:

His face when he found her body was amazing.

He's doing great physical acting, it really makes the character. Well, that and the outfits.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think there's two impulses...

Yeah that tracks and it works for me. I will say I appreciate the... tasteful distance this episode maintained from some horrific physical and sexual abuse. We were able to talk about it without being like monstrously traumatizing, which I appreciate for personal reasons. I think it was a really genius way to get you to feel what Dot is feeling without completely destroying the ability to enjoy the show as a show.

So if the gimmick of this episode was in furtherance of letting us work it out without being totally devastated, I can vibe with that

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I must be pretty dense because I didn’t realize the woman’s commune stuff was supposed to be a dream until after I watched and then read this thread.

Also thank god I was wrong because I thought it was JLL who the sin eater was going to axe because of the dang “this season on” teaser.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

random "that's capitalism!" car dealer guy who spent way too long underlining themes. Yeah, we got what was going on guys, you can be less broad.
This one gets a pass for me because if it was any shorter, I would've thought the guy gave up way too quickly. Its length might be worse for TV reasons but for immersion reasons it stuck the landing for me.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
We're close enough to COVID time that I can imagine it being a plot point. It's November 2019 in the show and things didn't really go to hell until mid-March, but I can see getting there. Maybe it's just on my mind since everyone's getting sick with it in real life.

That Dang Dad posted:

Yeah that tracks and it works for me. I will say I appreciate the... tasteful distance this episode maintained from some horrific physical and sexual abuse. We were able to talk about it without being like monstrously traumatizing, which I appreciate for personal reasons. I think it was a really genius way to get you to feel what Dot is feeling without completely destroying the ability to enjoy the show as a show.

So if the gimmick of this episode was in furtherance of letting us work it out without being totally devastated, I can vibe with that

I'm not a psychologist, but I think puppets are used in abuse therapy for this exact reason.

I also liked the reveal that Gator was like a younger brother to Dot while they were living together, going to her for comfort while his dad was beating his mom and so on. He's still a piece of poo poo, but that's how he was raised.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

LifeLynx posted:

I also liked the reveal that Gator was like a younger brother to Dot while they were living together, going to her for comfort while his dad was beating his mom and so on. He's still a piece of poo poo, but that's how he was raised.
The reveal that Dot believes that Gator is "trying to be good, you can see it in his eyes. But he wants to be his Dad more" was one of the saddest moments from the whole episode, especially when put into context with the puppets later on.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

LifeLynx posted:

We're close enough to COVID time that I can imagine it being a plot point. It's November 2019 in the show and things didn't really go to hell until mid-March, but I can see getting there. Maybe it's just on my mind since everyone's getting sick with it in real life.

I'm not a psychologist, but I think puppets are used in abuse therapy for this exact reason.

When the movie Inside Out came out, non communicative children used dolls of the characters to express how felt.

Good episode. Dot made peace with her feelings for the first wife "sacrificing" her, but now she's stuck with Roy.

NorgLyle posted:

The reveal that Dot believes that Gator is "trying to be good, you can see it in his eyes. But he wants to be his Dad more" was one of the saddest moments from the whole episode, especially when put into context with the puppets later on.

It reminds me of the Fascist sidequest ending from Disco Elysium. You need to have these beliefs and subscribe to these tenets because otherwise, you'll hate yourself.

Okuteru fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 28, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think part of the reason for the dream sequence is to take the possibility of a non-violent solution off the table. It was a lie from the start, and things are going to come to blows no matter what.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yeah, Killer Joe is a wild ride and Juno Temple is great in it.

Enjoying this season, but it took me way too long to figure out Gator is Steve Harrington.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

I don't see how shifting everything into a global pandemic would make for entertaining Fargo TV, especially with it being a very recent and troubling memory for a lot of people still.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The season so far has taken place over a few days right? I can’t imagine they’d time skip ahead a few months

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

They should skip even further and show Gator on January 6.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

That Dang Dad posted:

yah, i appreciated this too- it's the sort of sleight of hand that allows a piece like this to get into talking about some rough business. it makes me think of bojack horseman, and how they were able to address some seriously tough issues around personal trauma and the exploitative showbusiness industry, thru animal caricatures and silly sight gags

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Props to this show for making the sound of a puppet hitting another puppet into the most haunting thing ever

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

ChesterJT posted:

Why wouldn't that still have been her plan?
I forgot to respond to this but in her dream she goes to the windmill, finds a postcard saying "I'm sorry -Linda" with Linda's location on it on the back. Which means her actual, awake plan was "go to a windmill and hope for a secret message to be there." That's a pretty lovely plan, which is why I don't think that would "still have been her plan." Mind you, I like the consideration that perhaps she wasn't "dreaming" but was instead "visiting the afterlife" to reconcile with the person she believes started her awful journey, so I am in no way trying to say I dislike the framing the show is using... I just simply wonder what her real plan was since that postcard is very likely non-existent. Never mind the how/why she knows to check under the windmill for a secret message from Linda.

And just to reiterate, I'm not trying to poorly watch TV here. I really enjoy the dreamlike nature of finding a secret message and following it to a retreat and fighting your inner demons with puppets to successfully communicate to the audience your horrible backstory. I'm just idly wondering out loud.

Also wanna add that complicating the Gator character like this really is saddening because he's definitely going to bite it before the show is over. Either that or he does Roy in in a moment of pre-death clarity like Darth Vader throwing Palpatine in a pit.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 28, 2023

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

all the scenes with wayne and scotty were so unbelievably sweet this episode

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ruddiger posted:

I must be pretty dense because I didn’t realize the woman’s commune stuff was supposed to be a dream until after I watched and then read this thread.

Also thank god I was wrong because I thought it was JLL who the sin eater was going to axe because of the dang “this season on” teaser.

The dream sequence ends with her staring at the same pancakes in the diner she was earlier. (E- her falling asleep at the wheel was interesting foreshadowing now that I realize it.)

I was hoping it was going to lead to Linda and Dot going after Roy in their own way while Lorraine and Indira had a separate plot brewing and was actually disappointed when it turned out to be a dream.

So this episode could have largely been a coma dream, or perhaps Dot actually went to the land of the dead and talked to Tillman's dead wife and achieved this personal catharsis (I'm leaning towards the latter). But either way you're taking her away to a safe space where the character can work through her issues on her own terms and at her own pace, without the threat of Tillman invading or her wicked mother in law subverting the mental health process, or just the constant stress that Dot's gonna be feeling because of her various jobs and issues and concerns.

And sometimes you just need to have a really good nap.

The accident/poasible coma happens after the dream unless there's something else they're going to pull.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 29, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I figured she fell asleep at the wheel and the entire episode was a dream, like one of those dreams where you dream about waking up but you're still asleep. Helped me understand the random truck bit a bit better too, since it's not a random truck ploughing into a bunch of strangers, it's Dot's mind rationalising a head on collision.

I dunno if it ultimately matters much though.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
The whole “visiting the afterlife” thing is a good read I didn’t consider before reading the thread. Dot accepted “Linda packed her bags and left overnight” at face value and has been mad at a dead woman ever since

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

eke out posted:

The dialogue was a bit stilted, but I am here for Wayne's electro-charged humanity. (He was never a bad guy, just seems to be turning into a good guy)

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I figured she fell asleep at the wheel and the entire episode was a dream, like one of those dreams where you dream about waking up but you're still asleep. Helped me understand the random truck bit a bit better too, since it's not a random truck ploughing into a bunch of strangers, it's Dot's mind rationalising a head on collision.

I dunno if it ultimately matters much though.
I actually went back to re-check what the nurse said because I thought this same thing. It makes a lot more sense than a truck randomly plowing into a pit stop. The nurse simply says "you bumped your head" and "nobody else was brought in" so the possibility exists (why wouldn't the truck driver be brought in?) but the problem is this leaves "she fell asleep at the wheel" in a really odd spot of revelation for a weeklong break. Then I reference the "Noah Hawley stuff is better binged" thing I don't stop talking about (sorry!) and yeah, she probably fell asleep at the wheel and woke up in her dream from another dream.

Or we're just over-analyzing and this is simply the weakpoint of the season that doesn't matter because it's just being used as a transition.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

oh jay posted:

They should skip even further and show Gator on January 6.

:drat:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

DaveKap posted:

Or we're just over-analyzing

Speak for yourself. I've spent the last few days eating chicken piccata and making puppets.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Munch is going to wreak havoc upon Roy's compound and his men. Providing Dot with the opportunity to escape.

Or Munch might even let her go himself, game recognizing game and all that. No better way to gently caress with Gator and Roy than releasing their captive tiger.

The cops and FBI might do their raid at the same time too, just to make things even more hectic.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

aw man, I was hoping we'd get to see an army of vengeful lindas descend upon roy's compound

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Munch is pretty pragmatic about who he goes after and his debt over Dot's been settled. He doesn't blame her for fighting back, he blames Roy for not warning him she'd fight back. Munch got no beef with Dot.

And Dot is Roy's third wife, correct? We know at least one's buried, but is the implication of this episode that Linda might be dead, too?

eke out posted:

Nothing better happen to either one of them. I will raise motherfucking cain.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Dot may remember it as being abandoned but I'm pretty sure Linda is dead as a doornail.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Yeah it feels way more Fargo-y that Linda's dead and Dot's dreamland was pure wish fulfilment because nobody's ever had her back.
Which is gonna make it all the sweeter/sourer when she does/n't discover Lorraine has her back.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Got it, that makes sense. It also makes sense as to why Linda would leave her son with Roy. I mean, yeah, mothers abandon their children but it feels thematically stronger if she was prevented from taking him. By virtue of being dead.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
My assumption was that the dream sequence initially played out as Dot planned to do; I don't know what she had buried underneath the windmill, be it a weapon or evidence to use against Roy or whatever, but she was going to get it and discovered that it had been taken by Linda. Then she tracked down Linda as Plan B.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

Munch is pretty pragmatic about who he goes after and his debt over Dot's been settled. He doesn't blame her for fighting back, he blames Roy for not warning him she'd fight back. Munch got no beef with Dot.

And Dot is Roy's third wife, correct? We know at least one's buried, but is the implication of this episode that Linda might be dead, too?

Nothing better happen to either one of them. I will raise motherfucking cain.

Not "might be dead, too" - I think the implication is that Linda is the one that's buried, but I'd have to rewatch because I can't even remember who said the part about being buried.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

LifeLynx posted:

Not "might be dead, too" - I think the implication is that Linda is the one that's buried, but I'd have to rewatch because I can't even remember who said the part about being buried.

I can't, either. It would make a world of difference if it was the FBI agents vs. say, Gator.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Das Boo posted:

Nah, she's his middle wife.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Just rewatched the movie and the axe swing in the most recent episode is nearly a dead match for Peter Stormare’s. Fun!

efb maybe I should read posts

limp dick calvin fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I think this show has handled the source material well in that respect. Most season's have multiple shots/characters directly homaged from Fargo, but it's usually not in a way that would be obvious if you haven't seen the original.

Opening it up beyond Fargo to the broader Coen Bro films has also been neat.