Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I got Mysterium for Christmas and it looks fun but I'm not following the 3 player rules change.

The rules say that each guesser controls two psychics instead of one. That sounds a little funky because then each player has to keep track of two different sets of cards that they've already guessed.

The initial setup also has card counts for different psychic counts including only 1 or 2 psychics even though the rules also say for each player to control 2 psychics. So, it's kinda unclear whether to use the 4 psychics setup or the 2 psychics (2 players) setup.

So, I'm curious. If you've played this 3 player, 1 ghost 2 players guessing, how did you play? I'm probably overthinking this because the difference is just 1-2 extra card choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Blamestorm posted:

I have been really enjoying playing Armored Core VI with the kids, who are now crazy about mech battles. I can’t think of any decent mech board games though - Scythe has cool minis but it’s not really a mech game, GKR heavy hitters has ambivalent reviews and I’m not that interested in getting back into Battletech again.

Anything I’ve missed past few years that’s really good with a mech theme? Could be a card game, more euro flavoured thing, whatever.

experience of gkr is better than the “list of mechanics” of gkr. esp for kids.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jolo posted:

I got Mysterium for Christmas and it looks fun but I'm not following the 3 player rules change.

The rules say that each guesser controls two psychics instead of one. That sounds a little funky because then each player has to keep track of two different sets of cards that they've already guessed.

The initial setup also has card counts for different psychic counts including only 1 or 2 psychics even though the rules also say for each player to control 2 psychics. So, it's kinda unclear whether to use the 4 psychics setup or the 2 psychics (2 players) setup.

So, I'm curious. If you've played this 3 player, 1 ghost 2 players guessing, how did you play? I'm probably overthinking this because the difference is just 1-2 extra card choices.

Personally, although I think Mysterium is great, I wouldn't play it with less than 5. Mysterium Park is a better version of the same puzzle. Or Obscurio if you like a more gamey version.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

armorer posted:

I was also going to recommend this, with the caveat that I haven't played it myself.

I've played it about 4 or 5 times, so I guess I'll go ahead and talk a bit more. It's a light skirmish/minis game with dice rolling for combat resolution, and an energy system to manage the tempo of your actions. you have a team of 5* robots, each with one or two abilities that are easy to understand. The value for money is ridiculous. Because they went with standees instead of minis, you get over 100 robots for your $60. These robots are sorted into premade teams, but you can also draft your team. I haven't tried that, but I imagine it adds a lot of depth to your strategy. Season two of the game is nearing production after a very successful Kickstarter campaign, and will maaaaaybe deliver around march? It's had a lot of playtesting and balance changes thanks to TableTop Simulator mods made available to the community, and the team were able to hire better art, graphic design, and editing. I wouldn't say don't get the first season box, but it's a little chintzier, and is definitely a passion project from just a few people. Think the difference between editions of Sentinels of the Multiverse.

*plus the alternate forms when they combine into larger robots. Larger robots generally have more powerful abilities, but supply less energy to your pool, so deciding when to combine is important. Especially since when robots combine, the end result gets its full health.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Awesome ideas on mech stuff guys, thanks a lot, going to check it all out!

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Jolo posted:

2 players/2 psychics is fine, number of cards is a difficulty tweak more than anything, so use fewer for your first game and see how it feels. Also ditch the Clairvoyance tokens, they weren't present in the original version of the game and feel like they detract from it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played Hamlet. It was fun enough but I had some gripes - the first is that it's a worker placement game where getting more workers is the obvious best move. That's boring, and feels outdated.

The second is that building the church is a waste of time, but needs to be done to finish the game. I focused on building it, for four out of the five tasks done, and ended in last place (of three players) because I wasn't instead focusing on making tiles and market trades. In a point salad game, sure, whatever, lots of ways to get points. But in a game that tells you that the whole point of this game is to build a church, you'd think that the church would be worth more.

The consequence, however, is that if no one builds the church, then the game drags on, and it already felt like it was taking a little too long.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

2 players/2 psychics is fine, number of cards is a difficulty tweak more than anything, so use fewer for your first game and see how it feels. Also ditch the Clairvoyance tokens, they weren't present in the original version of the game and feel like they detract from it.

Yeah, will probably play with my fam and just have the group decide on the final one instead of doing the thing where each person decides based on available info.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
After the last few years culling my collection from 150 games --> 47 games, I have made an effort to start playing the remaining games in a concentrated fashion. The goal for 2023 was a 6x10. We almost made it. Here's the write up:

Summoner Wars 2nd Edition (27 plays)
About 1/5 of my collection is 1v1 games and this has risen to the top of the pack. Abstracted miniatures wargame played with cards on a large grid mat that features asymmetric factions. It has a clever resource system in that cards in your deck are discarded to generate mana, so you are always making tough choices about what to play and what to toss. What really elevates this game is the subtle abstract elements lurking in the combat/movement system-- No matter how many units you have on the board, you can only move and attack with 3 of them, many units have positional abilities, and units can only be summoned by gates onto unblocked spaces. These 3 rules interact together to create a lot of interesting decision making where you are often sacrificing units just to block movement/abilities or clog up gates. The factions all play quite differently, but feel relatively balanced against each other.

Age of Steam (10 plays)
Surprise hit of the year for our group. I’ve never been excited about train games, but I ended up grabbing the Kickstarter because the game had such high praise and spawned so many variants. I was happy to find this game is exactly what I like: Deterministic sandbox logistic game with high player agency, simple unobtrusive rules framework, and gameplay that starts with a blank map and let’s the players shape the game’s narrative by choosing where and how to build up their infrastructure. Any action you take is directly influenced by the previous actions of the other players. The game’s depth comes from player interaction within the framework of a low complexity ruleset.

Gaia Project (10 plays)

Gaia Project has the sandbox infrastructure building and map painting, adds in a level of rules complexity that makes it somewhat more scripted than the above games, but in return you gain variable player powers, a racing aspect, and a resource/building efficiency puzzle– a worthwhile tradeoff in my mind. We enjoyed this almost as much, if not equally, to Age of Steam for similar reasons.

Mind Mgmt (10 plays)
The only hidden movement game we had played before this was Letters from Whitechapel and Mind Mgmt easily eclipsed that. It plays fast enough that we usually did 3-4 sessions in one group, rotating the player roles so everyone got a shot at being the agency. The core gameplay is simple, but the deductive reasoning required is interesting, and I love the concept of the clue markers that you can write on and place on the game board. The other standout part of this experience is the add-on modules that enhance both factions powers, keep the gameplay varied, and are balanced by the rule is the loser of the previous match always gets to use 1 more module than the winner.

Avalon (10 plays) & Quest (6 plays)
Avalon is the best social deduction game because it’s underlying logic puzzle is strong, allowing for a large diversity of coherent and believable bluffs to be made each game. We’ve been playing it for over a decade now and it never get’s old.

Quest is the sequel to Avalon by the same designer that came out 1-2 years ago. Getting it played has been a frustrating experience for me. I think Quest has a lot of potential, because it has a intrinsically different but still very strong logic puzzle at it’s core.

Team creation is unique in that there is no voting round, teams automatically go through, but anyone who has made a team, can never make a team again, and there’s a similar and interacting set of limited restrictions on who can use the lady-of-the-lake action. There are times as the good team where you purposefully want to let the evil team have a turn, because you aren’t sure about people’s roles, and you don’t want to waste the very limited opportunities you have to make a winning team.

This might make it seem like it would be impossible to win as good, however, you are no longer reliant on winning 3 matches via teams. If you lose as the good team, you move on to a special event where a 5 minute timer is set, everyone discusses who they think are good/evil, at the end of the timer everyone points to two other people, and then evil folks drop their hands. Between the available hands of the good players they must be pointing at all of the bad players and none of the good players.

The blind hunter is an evil role that is invisible to everyone and has no information themselves. They have a special win condition where at anytime in the last 5 minutes, they can announce they hunt. This cancel’s the pointing end game condition above, and instead the blind hunter must successfully name two good people and their exact roles.

What the lack of voting and the two end game win conditions create is an atmosphere where not only is the good team trying to create a winning team during the actual game, but some members of the good team are actually trying to pose as the evil team, to confuse the blind hunter. It’s a much more dynamic game than Avalon, where the manipulation/bluffs tend only to go in a single direction (evil posing as good).

The issue with getting Quest to the table is everyone has seemingly forgotten that all new social deduction games have a learning period with lower quality games, because people need to understand the underlying logic puzzle in order to bluff correctly. People have not yet gronked Quest’s logic puzzle, so the games seem random to them, and they think it’s an inferior product. I try to point out that we went through the same process with Avalon for the first 20-30 games, but since that happened over a decade ago, no one can remember it. I think I’m probably fighting a losing battle here.

Ankh (6 plays)
Ankh has simple rules that can be taught in 15 minutes, but is deceptively complex in that it plays very different from a straight forward dues on a map game.

There is a large infusion of abstract and bluffing gameplay that adds a lot of nuance. The abstract influence shines through in how important positioning of units/structures and feels very Knizia-esque at times. The bluffing aspect comes in during the simultaneous combat card reveal, in which you go for a traditional combat win or do things like purposefully lose the battle to gain victory points for each of your units that died, leading to you gaining 2x the amount of points then the person who won. Add on to that the crazy merge mechanic, where after the 3rd round of conflict, the bottom two players merge into one, combining money and powers, but taking the victory points of only the lowest scoring player.

Because of it’s unique mechanics Ankh tends to generate strong opinions. I really like Ankh. The issue is many other people did not and it’s ultimately the reason we did not finish the 10x6 challenge. Enough of the group actively disliked it that depending on who showed up we had to introduce new games, and thus we ended up with three games with 4-5 plays each. I still decided to keep Ankh, because I enjoy it enough that I am fine playing it every-so-often when the right group of 4 comes together.

Revive (5 plays)
Action selection game where you push you use cards to get resources, push your luck flipping over tiles to reveal the map, and build building on the revealed map spaces. The tile flipping and building aspects of the game are straight forward and it’s often obvious where to go and where to build. The card play is the heart of the game, as the cards can be played face up or down for different sets of resources, and there are upgraded cards that have different synergistic bonus actions like allowing similar suites to be stacked on top of each other or allowing you to immediately play another card. There is also a cool machine/tech tree that you unlock in the middle of the board that gives you bonus actions.

This is a solid middle weight euro. The decision space is interesting enough to support the 2-2.5 hour playtime. The card combos are varied and interesting. Expanding the bonus action tech tree is visually and aesthetically pleasing to unlock and expand as the game progresses. The tile flipping/building is the weakest part, because there’s a luck element, and it can impact the outcome of the game significantly.

My main issue with Revive is that being a good middle weight euro isn’t enough in 2023. I don’t own this game and I’m not sure why I would buy it when I have Agricola, Caylus, Orleans, Keyflower, Concordia, and Endeavor. I could switch this one out with Endeavor, but I wouldn’t make the swap with any of the others, and really the trade would leave me feeling indifferent.

Feast for Odin (4 plays)
Feast for Odin is an incredible game as long as you are fine with multiplayer solitaire. I’m not going to waste more words on it as it’s a staple and already much discussed. It only has 4 plays because we added it late in the rotation when part of the group abandoned Ankh and the person with Revive couldn’t make it to sessions. I already have over 10 plays of it from previous years.

Tzolkien (3 plays)
Disappointment of the year for our group. We all had high expectations and while the rotating gears were indeed a cool mechanic, it ultimately was just a substitute for “get resources”, and what you did with those resources was incredibly bland early 2000 eurogame actions. The rest of the game involves is a multiplayer solitaire of rigid rules framework where you convert resources to VP clearly delineated and telegraphed strategies of which there are about 3-4 total. We played with the expansion and it did not significantly mitigate any of this. I already sold the game.

Through the Ages (100+ plays)

I don’t technically count this because all plays were on the app. Through the Ages is probably my favorite game of all time. If you haven’t played it, slam the brakes on whatever mediocore-good next game you’re about to buy, and play TTA instead. Just make sure to do it on the wonderful app and not in person, where it takes 19 hours because of all the cubes.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Man, Cascadia is fun. Id love if there was an expansion that added more player interaction, but it's still good stuff

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just had a game of Nemesis where one player drew the Queen on round 3, and then proceeded to get basically instagibbed from full health.

Never seen anyone draw that badly, that early :laffo:

Felt super bad, but gave them the Alien deck to make up for it.
The Alien deck seemed fairly balanced, save for the "any player with a parasite explodes" card - which I felt needed either a Queen on the board or a certain amount of invaders on the board to activate.

(I died to it one turn away from getting in an escape pod, but that's beside the point :v:)

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Morpheus posted:

Man, Cascadia is fun. Id love if there was an expansion that added more player interaction, but it's still good stuff

I bought Cascadia last year and about a month ago I started playing it regularly with my group, and I quite like it. Obviously I understand the complaints about lack of player interaction but I think its "fine". It does still make sense to track what other terrains other players are going for because man it sucks to invest 7 tiles into Deserts or whatever and end up being in second, but obviously you're going to be bound in your decisions by the center row anyways.

I was curious how people felt about the expansion, and as a broader note I always wondered how to introduce expansions to games that I started playing after the expansions had already come out. I saw Landmarks has a lower rating than the base game on BGG, although not _hugely_ significantly so.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

ChewyLSB posted:

I bought Cascadia last year and about a month ago I started playing it regularly with my group, and I quite like it. Obviously I understand the complaints about lack of player interaction but I think its "fine". It does still make sense to track what other terrains other players are going for because man it sucks to invest 7 tiles into Deserts or whatever and end up being in second, but obviously you're going to be bound in your decisions by the center row anyways.

I was curious how people felt about the expansion, and as a broader note I always wondered how to introduce expansions to games that I started playing after the expansions had already come out. I saw Landmarks has a lower rating than the base game on BGG, although not _hugely_ significantly so.

I have the expansion (though I've only played it solo) and it's definitely a "more stuff" expansion. It gives you:

- enough tiles to play with 5-6 players with a faster play mechanic
- more scoring cards
- landmarks expansion

Off the top of my head, if you have 5 (I think) of the same type of landscape in a group, you can place a landscape feature there instead of an animal and pick a scoring card that goes with that feature. The landscape scoring cards give you more ways to score, like 1 point for each elk on a mountain, or combining 2 of your largest river areas when scoring, or just points, etc.

In a regular game, you put out 1 scoring card per feature per player, and whoever gets the five area section first gets to pick whatever scoring card they want, so there might be a slight bit more interaction there.

As a solo Cascadia player I like the expansion because it's more variety, but I'm not sure it's a must have unless you've played Cascadia to death.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I got a bunch of new games for Christmas this year. So far only played one of them, Beyond the Sun. I'm surprised how much I enjoyed this game! I only had my eye on it because my group loves space themed games, but it has an interesting combination of the action selection board (where you also research techs) and player boards being very much of the "low interaction Euro" type, but there's an area control game attached to it with planets and colonisation which is worth most of your victory points. There's a ton of variance in game setup between the different planets and techs, so I can see it having a decent amount of longevity.

I'm sure the shine will wear off over time but currently my biggest issue with this game is that the tech board is way bigger than it really needs to be and the table space requirement is fairly considerable.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Beyond the Sun is a top 5 game for me. I'm captivated by its elegance and emergent complexity.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

I wanna play Tech Tree: The Board Game so bad, it looks like funnnnnn :(

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

beyond the sun has a really good BGA implementation. it, along with res arcana, were the perfect games to have available to play in the early days of pandemic lockdowns. still haven’t tried it physical. it did lose its lustre after a while, but it took about 10+ plays to get there

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
I've always been interested on Cascadia, but have been on the edge, since Habitats (which is one of my faves) seems to do the same thing better.

This years high points for me have been Azul mini, Jekyll vs Hyde and War Chest. Azul Mini is a travel-sized game perfected, Jekyll vs Hyde is wonderful trick taker for two and War Chest is just Undaunted without the hassle of the set up.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I think Cascadia is a really solid game. The interaction is just in blocking people but it's fast, with an easy setup etc.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Been playing a bunch of Dorf Romantik. I have zero idea why it's called that, but my brother in law got it for my wife for her birthday, and we've been playing just the two of us all day.

Essentially you take turns to draw a Hex tile, either a quest, if there are fewer than 3 out (so first three turns always) or a regular tile if there are already three. You then place it adjacent to another hex. Each side has a type (like, houses, fields, forest, train, river) and if you join up enough faces as the number on a quest, you score it. You get points for longest river and train track too. Co op.

And like, that's basically it, to begin with. There's a little more, but not really. But then At the end, you compare your score against a track, and are awarded a number of 'footsteps' along a campaign track, that has branches and mysterious rewards. Some of them tell you to get things out of a bunch of boxes, and those things are typically new ways to score. It's legacy 'lite', nothing gets broken and could all be reset. Weve been writing on the campaign sheets, but you could totally just not. There are tons of sheets though.

Its really clever, because the first game is really satisfying, but incredibly shallow. If it was purely the first game, it would be a great kids 'first boardgame' or just a nice pass time thing. But now, a few games in, it's a real head scratcher. It's just nice, there's no fail state at all, except not beating your best score. Because pretty much everything you unlock is new ways to score, your scores go up and up, but the game gets more and more complex.

I've never really played anything with a loop like this*, it's like if Tetris gave you more ways to score for doing well. You just immediately want to set it back up and have another crack at it.

I will say, it could really really suffer from quarterbacking, and I wouldn't really consider playing with more than two. But aside from that, it's a real corker.

*actually, Gloomhaven, if I think about it, weirdly.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 29, 2023

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

My haul this year:

Daybreak
Doubt is our Product
Flick Fleet
Wizards of the Grimoire

Already got a couple games of WotG in, pretty neat little dueling tableau builder.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Beyond the Sun (pre-expansion anyways - still haven't gotten to play that) is fun but really, really needs just 3p. 4p works but is a bit crowded, both in terms of the game and the space needed to play, and IMO 2p really only works when you have 2 people who know how to work quickly to score the achievements needed to end the game - when it meanders, it gets pretty dull.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

RabidWeasel posted:

I got a bunch of new games for Christmas this year. So far only played one of them, Beyond the Sun. I'm surprised how much I enjoyed this game! I only had my eye on it because my group loves space themed games, but it has an interesting combination of the action selection board (where you also research techs) and player boards being very much of the "low interaction Euro" type, but there's an area control game attached to it with planets and colonisation which is worth most of your victory points. There's a ton of variance in game setup between the different planets and techs, so I can see it having a decent amount of longevity.

I'm sure the shine will wear off over time but currently my biggest issue with this game is that the tech board is way bigger than it really needs to be and the table space requirement is fairly considerable.

Who got you BtS for Christmas, a gamer or a non-gamer? If a non-gamer, that's a very cool, informed present which goes beyond the standard recommended "gift guide" games. Anyway, it's a great game. Lucky you.

I was similarly happy when a non-gamer got me Roll for the Galaxy as a gift. A game I quite adore but also one not a lot of people outside the hobby know about.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
My brother got it for me, he's a boardgamer though he tends to go for light stuff like Sagrada and Dominion. He's the one who originally got me into Catan way back in the day. He's really good at buying gifts!

JoeRules posted:

Beyond the Sun (pre-expansion anyways - still haven't gotten to play that) is fun but really, really needs just 3p. 4p works but is a bit crowded, both in terms of the game and the space needed to play, and IMO 2p really only works when you have 2 people who know how to work quickly to score the achievements needed to end the game - when it meanders, it gets pretty dull.

I did get this impression, our first 2p game was fine because we both focused on hitting the achievements quickly and we were using the "recommended" setup but I could tell that at 4 it would probably get pretty slow

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013
Are there any Solo game fans here? Or is there a solo gaming thread anywhere?

I just ordered the Wizkids version of Bargain Basement Bathysphere and Under Falling Skies so hoping to find some fellow fans!

Pryce
May 21, 2011

MisterBear posted:

I just ordered the Wizkids version of Bargain Basement Bathysphere and Under Falling Skies so hoping to find some fellow fans!

Whoa, I didn't know Bargain Basement Bathysphere got a real version made! I remember printing out the print n' play during the pandemic and completely forgot about it. The production version looks so nice!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Love to Solo!

My favorite bg2solo is Spirit Island, which is excellent one-handed although many veterans are like to prefer two-handed. I don't know what genre to call Spirit Island, you'll have to look it up. Play with up to four (or six with Jagged Earth).

Hot on its heels is Warp's Edge which is a more True solo experience in that it simply can't play more than one. Whereas Under Falling Skies seems to be most people's solo darling - and the most recommended solo game I see - this is mine. Warp's Edge is a bagbuilder.

(I do own UFS but I never really got into it and I'll probably sell it or trade soon-ish.)

Those are my three boxed solo games. Never tried Viticulture solo and I'm not likely to. On to three more games which don't come in a box and tend to play either faster or much, much faster:

ROVE - if you're picking up one of any wallet games for solo play, make it this one. Very deep for what it is and lots of cool interactions. Spatial puzzle game where you're not adding up points. True solo game.

Sprawlopolis - highly beloved by online solo enthusiasts, Sprawlopolis is now up to two expansions which make it even bigger and more unwieldy. Spatial puzzle game where you're adding up (or deducting) points based on card placements. I never got the love for this others have but I will press on as the number of plays is quite low besides. True solo game.

Skulls of Sedlec - simple spatial puzzle, maximize points by correctly ordering your tableau. For as simple as the game is, I really enjoy it. Can also be played with additional players (up to 3? I think?).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I'd like more solo games to have achievements like Calico does - just to give something to chase beyond high scores or hitting the victory condition

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Just played Wavelength with my very basic gaming extended family. It was a solid hit. Great party game.

I learned quickly the temptation to give a directed hint to one person on your team who’s “sure to get it” is a recipe for disaster: not only will the other person/people be potentially be left in the cold, but you really need the triangulation that multiple people give you on the guess.

Also learned that the compromise guess is almost always the right play as opposed to “I’m sure it’s here” / “O.K., I think it’s a bit to the left, but I’ll trust your judgment.” Had a couple of 2s that probably would’ve been 4s otherwise.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Late to the party, I played Azul for the first time last night. The game is abstract enough that it takes a full playthrough for basically any of it to make sense, but once it clicks it’s almost immediately obvious why the game is a hit. My first plays were 1v1, but I could see this being a great game with 4 players, just the right mix of engaging but not brain-burning enough that you can’t chat.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Late to the party, I played Azul for the first time last night. The game is abstract enough that it takes a full playthrough for basically any of it to make sense, but once it clicks it’s almost immediately obvious why the game is a hit. My first plays were 1v1, but I could see this being a great game with 4 players, just the right mix of engaging but not brain-burning enough that you can’t chat.

4 player Azul can be great. A big element of it in later rounds becomes "dodge the trash" late game. In 2 player that element exists too but is more of "force the trash on your opponent". Also there can be a lot more of a particular tile tied up on boards, making it hard to get when you need it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

!Klams posted:

Been playing a bunch of Dorf Romantik. I have zero idea why it's called that, but my brother in law got it for my wife for her birthday, and we've been playing just the two of us all day.

"Dorf" means "village". It's a "dream village" construction game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

it's a mispelling of Dwarf Romantic, because you are trying to romance a Dwarf.

I've never played the game.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Specifically you are trying to romance the cyber dwarf. I hope you've got an apple bottom.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I've been avoiding it since I thought it might be a Tim Conway sex tape.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Glazius posted:

"Dorf" means "village". It's a "dream village" construction game.

Ah ok, thanks!

Just finished it... It doesn't stick the landing. The game just kind of ends, you unlock all the stuff and then, that's it, you play another game. I wouldn't mind, it's definitely fun enough that I could see someone playing it a bunch after unlocking everything. But it has a campaign track, and achievement cards? It would have cost basically nothing to just add one achievement "tick off all other achievements" that says "the end". Seems like a pretty gripe, and it is really. But, just felt like a weird thing to miss off, and leaves for an "oh, is that it?" end to an otherwise great campaign.

We completed it in 16 games, and don't want to play again. We did do one victory lap game at the end, in which we did reach our highest score, but after that we're very much done. Luckily it can easily reset, and we can lend it to someone else. 4 out of 5, probably a 4.5 for people new to the hobby.

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012
It might make more sense if you know that the video game came first (grad school project). It sounds to me a lot like they condensed the unlock track in the game into the board game, without having touched the physical version but having put quite a few hours into zoning out tile placing and podcasts on Steam.

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Love to Solo!

My favorite bg2solo is Spirit Island, which is excellent one-handed although many veterans are like to prefer two-handed.

Hot on its heels is Warp's Edge which is a more True solo experience in that it simply can't play more than one.

ROVE - if you're picking up one of any wallet games for solo play, make it this one. Very deep for what it is and lots of cool interactions. Spatial puzzle game where you're not adding up points. True solo game.

Sprawlopolis - highly beloved by online solo enthusiasts, Sprawlopolis is now up to two expansions which make it even bigger and more unwieldy. Spatial puzzle game where you're adding up (or deducting) points based on card placements. I never got the love for this others have but I will press on as the number of plays is quite low besides. True solo game.

Sadly Sprawlopolis and ROVE aren’t in stock in Buttonshy’s UK store, otherwise I’d easily impulse buy and check them out. I’ve liked Food Chain Island so no reason to think I’d not like those too!

Warps Edge looks interesting- would like to check it out but don’t know how much love I have for bag builders, it’s not a game style I’ve played much of before.

I’ve got the digital version of Spirit Island so should done into it more deeply and get a better feel for it!

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

MisterBear posted:

I picked up several games with well regarded solo modes during the quarantine times, then I got Spirit Island and now I don't really think I'll ever be in a solo board game mood that isn't a Spirit Island mood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Spirit island is just such a number one with a bullet solo game its truly hard to recommend others. Except mage knight.