Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Playing Chants of Sennaar because it seemed short and people were praising it so I thought it might be GOTY conversation-worthy...

...I'm really debating whether to keep pushing onward lol. I guess I was hoping for more language-based interactions and not so many Myst puzzles (immediate massive deduction for a sliding tile puzzle in the first hour) and stealth sequences???

Now I'm hardstuck on a couple puzzles and the travel time between areas to see if I've missed something is really annoying lol

I have access to the bells and the bellman's book which has a bunch of words I can't cross-reference... I have access to the telescope but not the item that goes there... and I have no idea what to do in the basement with the torch lol
IIRC you're supposed to rotate the little screen in front of the vault door in the Warriors' basement and put the torch in it, so it shines a bunch of lights on all the pictures. Then when you look at the pictures with the lights on them, you'll get the words for the bellman's book.

That was probably the worst part of the game for me because for some reason the "show interactables" button wouldn't show the torch as clickable. So I had to do that cart-loading sequence to get into the basement like four times before I realized what the problem was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

IIRC you're supposed to rotate the little screen in front of the vault door in the Warriors' basement and put the torch in it, so it shines a bunch of lights on all the pictures. Then when you look at the pictures with the lights on them, you'll get the words for the bellman's book.

That was probably the worst part of the game for me because for some reason the "show interactables" button wouldn't show the torch as clickable. So I had to do that cart-loading sequence to get into the basement like four times before I realized what the problem was.

LMFAO I couldn't interact with that thing because i was holding the torch, huh... another massive deduction for the game imo

Edit: getting to the third area, this seems more my speed... lots of conversations and texts to unpack and barely any stealth so far lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 29, 2023

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Sab669 posted:

It's dumb that Chaos Gate doesn't let you change the difficulty once you've started a campaign :colbert:

It's dumb that it doesn't have a skip button to start a campaign right after you get your first seed, the game takes a few hours to really open up and I get bored replaying that part.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
CP2077 question: The somewhat recent big update is independent from Phantom Liberty right? Or do I need the DLC for the 'full experience' or whatever?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

CP2077 question: The somewhat recent big update is independent from Phantom Liberty right? Or do I need the DLC for the 'full experience' or whatever?

There's only a couple things locked behind the DLC, namely cars with rocket launchers - which are honestly kinda bad - and the secondary skill tree for the DLC.

2.0 sans DLC still has a ton of game changes, including new skill trees, a change to how crafting works, better cyberware access and mechanics and a few others that I don't remember off the top of my head.

The DLC skill tree does enable some really cool stuff but it's not necessary at all.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yes it’s independent, but yes you want both anyway. Pay up if you can, the game is good now and worth the cost.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

If you don't hate the Epic Game Store you can get the Cyberpunk ultimate edition for $36.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

drat Dirty Ape posted:

If you don't hate the Epic Game Store you can get the Cyberpunk ultimate edition for $36.

Showing $53 here. Are you in the US?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

there's an extra store-wide discount that only shows up during checkout

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

Yes it’s independent, but yes you want both anyway. Pay up if you can, the game is good now and worth the cost.

Yeah the dlc is great. If you like the base game, you will like phantom liberty.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Benagain posted:

It's dumb that it doesn't have a skip button to start a campaign right after you get your first seed, the game takes a few hours to really open up and I get bored replaying that part.

They did add an option to skip the tutorial at some point, if you use that you start getting seeds on the second mission you do

e: Actually maybe the third? But it's like ~10-15 mins at most.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

it seems crazy how many games don't have animated gifs embedded on their store page. At least a few short gifs capturing cool gameplay moments make for a far more eye catching page. The double whammy is clicking on a game and the trailers are all promo cutscenes so I have no idea how it plays so I scroll down to the About and I have to read descriptions to try to figure it out. If it's just some random game I stumbled into that's probably when I bounce.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

and the still images are of the game but with no UI and often nothing happening in them either

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Showing $53 here. Are you in the US?

Yeah, you use the 'epic coupon' at checkout for an extra 33% off.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

koolkal posted:

I have some leftover keys from this year's Jingle Jam which are supposed to expire in a few days so feel free to take as many as you like. Please add a comment in the sheet on the ones you take.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l2FZWKEAz6FRYhjfTe0Ki7aJig2jO1F9DlZqmaZrbaY/edit?pli=1#gid=0

A Short Hike
Arcade Spirits
Beyond Blue
Cat Quest
Cook, Serve, Delicious! 3?!
DEPLOYMENT
Death and Taxes
EARTHLOCK
Glitch busters
Golfie
Harmony's Odyssey
Homeworld Remastered Collection
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak
Mars Horizon
Patch Quest
Rusty Lake: Hotel
Silicon Zeroes
Tinytopia
Toodee and Topdee
Train Valley 2
Tunguska: The Visitation
We Are The Dwarves

Don't know if these have been scraped or what, but out of three I tried (both the Homeworlds and Cook, Serve, Delicious 3), all were reported by Steam as already redeemed.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Where is Empires of the Undergrowth at these days? It looks very neat, and it's got great reviews, but seven years of EA with slow progress is a huge red flag for me.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Orv posted:

There's only a couple things locked behind the DLC, namely cars with rocket launchers - which are honestly kinda bad - and the secondary skill tree for the DLC.

2.0 sans DLC still has a ton of game changes, including new skill trees, a change to how crafting works, better cyberware access and mechanics and a few others that I don't remember off the top of my head.

The DLC skill tree does enable some really cool stuff but it's not necessary at all.

Cartoon Man posted:

Alright, thanks. A friend gifted me the base game a while ago so I will probably give that a chance before jumping in the DLC.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Ty for the Everspace info! It seems like I was at the open world more or less, and it just wasn’t quite as sandbox focused as I was hoping. I think I’ll come back when I’m looking for a more fighty game.

Ending up playing Sailing Era, which is 10/10 for recreating what Pirates! and uncharted waters felt like to play when they first came out. The Chinese translation is not amazing but did get everything across.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Omi no Kami posted:

Where is Empires of the Undergrowth at these days? It looks very neat, and it's got great reviews, but seven years of EA with slow progress is a huge red flag for me.
There has been lots of missions and species added to it since it started and plenty of balance changes. I don't mind it being stuck in EA and the price isn't going up with little new content to show for it like some games, which isn't much for a modern Sim Ant.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I've been sort of obsessed with this survivorlike over the past few days:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2218750/Halls_of_Torment/

It has fun powers, pretty diverse characters, and loot! It presses all the right dopamine buttons. Slows down a bit towards the end of a run on Steam Deck.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tildes posted:

Ty for the Everspace info! It seems like I was at the open world more or less, and it just wasn’t quite as sandbox focused as I was hoping. I think I’ll come back when I’m looking for a more fighty game.

EversPace 2 is very much about two things: shooting many men, and exploring for hidden loot

it is basically Freelancer but better in almost every way

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Kaddish posted:

I've been sort of obsessed with this survivorlike over the past few days:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2218750/Halls_of_Torment/

It has fun powers, pretty diverse characters, and loot! It presses all the right dopamine buttons. Slows down a bit towards the end of a run on Steam Deck.

Yup, I really like that game.

I also have been playing this one, and it ruins great on the deck: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1918040/Army_of_Ruin/

Only 10% off currently though.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Kragger99 posted:

Yup, I really like that game.

I also have been playing this one, and it ruins great on the deck: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1918040/Army_of_Ruin/

Only 10% off currently though.

Thanks, purchased! This was already on my wish list.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just bought Hi-Fi Rush after seeing it linked in a different thread. I don't know anything about it except that I like the aesthetic and it involves rock music in some way, which I'm down for.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hwurmp posted:

EversPace 2 is very much about two things: shooting many men, and exploring for hidden loot

it is basically Freelancer but better in almost every way

It’s the only thing I’ve seen that captures the vibe of Freelancer, but they managed to add a lot more structure and make the combat even more fun- having a ship type that uses energy instead of ammo for your missiles was such a good idea. I love the bombers for being able to just rain down rockets on big/slow targets.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s the only thing I’ve seen that captures the vibe of Freelancer, but they managed to add a lot more structure and make the combat even more fun- having a ship type that uses energy instead of ammo for your missiles was such a good idea. I love the bombers for being able to just rain down rockets on big/slow targets.

rockets are neat but I really really like the Interceptor's sicko mode; it charges super fast and can last through an entire high-risk area as long as you're racking up kills fast enough

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hwurmp posted:

rockets are neat but I really really like the Interceptor's sicko mode; it charges super fast and can last through an entire high-risk area as long as you're racking up kills fast enough

I really should give that a shot. Dumping a shitmillion rockets just feels so good, the sound design for them is :discourse:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I really should give that a shot. Dumping a shitmillion rockets just feels so good, the sound design for them is :discourse:

when it's active and you shoot a rapid-fire weapon, every shot gets a little DJENT sound

this is also true of the Striker's close combat passive

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Phlegmish posted:

Just bought Hi-Fi Rush after seeing it linked in a different thread. I don't know anything about it except that I like the aesthetic and it involves rock music in some way, which I'm down for.

The nice thing about Hi-Fi Rush as opposed to other rhythm-based games is that you can just button mash and Chai's attacks will still land on the beat. Your score and damage won't be that great, but you'll never end up in a suck vortex like a lot of other games in the genre.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it seems the optimal strategy in Cobalt Core is hoard overpower and multi-shot cards and just dakka the enemy to death

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

it seems the optimal strategy in Cobalt Core is hoard overpower and multi-shot cards and just dakka the enemy to death

throw in some Weak, Brittle, or Corrosion too

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The optimal strategy in CC is "pick Riggs", having the character with access to the best defensive cards also have access to the best card draw was quite a decision, especially in the context of a game where that specific type of defense (movement) is super good since very few enemies scale in a way that it cares about, even on the highest difficulty

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hwurmp posted:

when it's active and you shoot a rapid-fire weapon, every shot gets a little DJENT sound

this is also true of the Striker's close combat passive

Such a good game.

Anyone who likes space games really should get everspace 2 during the sale, it’s easily the most fun space game in like twenty years.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
For some reason they never applied regional pricing to the game in my region, I'll shoot them a message.

I tried Wartales since it was on sale and it gets an immediate point over Battle Brothers for having women, but other than that it's pretty bland and lifeless :(

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

LMFAO I couldn't interact with that thing because i was holding the torch, huh... another massive deduction for the game imo

Edit: getting to the third area, this seems more my speed... lots of conversations and texts to unpack and barely any stealth so far lol

The second part of the game, the fortress, is the worst one due to the heavy focus on stealth (why is this in the game, seriously) and some unfortunate puzzle design. Overall I did like the game and the glyph deduction is really fun, but that part was the least enjoyable.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

cruise missiles are also fantastic for bombers, who get to shoot them forever while every other poor schmuck is stuck with 5 at a time

I really want to try Scorpion missiles with the full Blightmonger set

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ErrEff posted:

The second part of the game, the fortress, is the worst one due to the heavy focus on stealth (why is this in the game, seriously) and some unfortunate puzzle design. Overall I did like the game and the glyph deduction is really fun, but that part was the least enjoyable.

Yeah just in case any other folks were thinking about the game, once I got past that part I really liked the second half, the actual language-based puzzle stuff is neat, I really liked the ones where you have to do full-on translation.

Maybe I should apply that to an actual language lol

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Picked up Disco Elysium.

I don’t generally play CRPG’s or point and click stuff.. barely RPG’s in general. Probably haven’t played a PC-rear end CRPG since the 90’s. But it’s a genre I want to get into more.

Lost 3 hours to it this afternoon that totally flew by. This is incredible. There is a phone call exchange quite early doors that had me howling with laughter.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It’s really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

There has been lots of missions and species added to it since it started and plenty of balance changes. I don't mind it being stuck in EA and the price isn't going up with little new content to show for it like some games, which isn't much for a modern Sim Ant.

Okay cool, that's much better than I thought- for some reason the reviews made me picture one of those guys that was excellent coming out of the gates, then immediately stalled. Thanks for the feedback!