Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Philthy posted:

guess what country doesnt give any fucks about us copyright laws

M.... Moldova? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Man the “ai” slop into mass culture is really horrific and depressing lol

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

Man the “ai” slop into mass culture is really horrific and depressing lol

Now consider how fuckin cool it's gonna be when everybody's grandparents have a 24/7 assault of AI scammers.

Future's great.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Librarians are going to be like the old dark age European monks copying the last human authored works by hand in the dark

:(

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Now consider how fuckin cool it's gonna be when everybody's grandparents have a 24/7 assault of AI scammers.

Future's great.

Neoluddititism....

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Librarian is going to be a holy title in the future like Pontiff is now

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fun sci fi book on this very subject: A Canticle for Liebowitz, by Walter Miller.

A strange, sad, weird and amazing book.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah I was kind of referencing that

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

euphronius posted:

Yeah I was kind of referencing that

You've read it?? I've never met anyone who has.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s a classic lol

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Everyone has read A Canticle for Liebowitz.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Really? No one in the book club had, and they are all well read.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

There's a copy in range of my vision right now. TBH like many great things I was first made aware of it on this dead gay forum lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It won the Hugo award and if you like sci fi you should read / be aware of every Hugo winner

(English language centered people I guess )

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

AI is a tool, complaining about it instead of the garbage created using AI is kind of dumb. Does it steal? No/yes, except when it does/doesn't. Can it generate cool poo poo? Yeah. Can it generate garbage? Yeah. Is it here to stay? Yeah this isn't bitcoins, this is a useful tool that's already pretty impressive. Anyway people shouldn't be fighting to secure their work and should be fighting for not having to work.

edit: My posting is irreplaceable however.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 29, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cool. It's an awesome book!

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Thread's a reading club now, nothing we can do about it:

Remember to download the PDF unless you plan on reading in a single session, no reason to murder the kind folks' bandwidth.

E: oh poo poo this is actually really good, thanks for the recommendation

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 29, 2023

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

redshirt posted:

You've read it?? I've never met anyone who has.

euphronius posted:

It’s a classic lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

it is really good tho

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Honestly, all the very smart and well read ladies in the book club had never heard of it, and my attempt to sell it at one of "vote for the next book" pitches, when I unfortunately led with the lack of women characters, did not go well.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

credburn posted:

Everyone has read A Canticle for Liebowitz.

this sounds wrong but ive also read a canticle for liebowitz so what do i know

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I read it in university and have been meaning to read it again for a while

It’s a very well known book for Internet People, not sure about book clubs or whatever

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I only read AI books posted on Amazon so I’ve never read it

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

AI Bible orginal idea do not steal

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

galagazombie posted:

I legit think AI images are getting worse now. I don’t know if it’s because they’re all scraping from the same sources or are literally training on each other, but their “art style” has homogenized to the point where it’s obviously AI even before you look at the hands.

My wild guess is they're constraining the hell out of the "AI" between staying out of copyright hot water, cutting costs, staying out of hot water for racism/CP reasons, and overtuning from all the extra cooks in the kitchen looking to get AI on their resume.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
I bought a Canticle for Liebowitz at a second hand book store 10 years ago and 10 years later it remains unread. I contributed to making things shittier

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Duck and Cover posted:

AI is a tool, complaining about it instead of the garbage created using AI is kind of dumb. Does it steal? No/yes, except when it does/doesn't. Can it generate cool poo poo? Yeah. Can it generate garbage? Yeah. Is it here to stay? Yeah this isn't bitcoins, this is a useful tool that's already pretty impressive. Anyway people shouldn't be fighting to secure their work and should be fighting for not having to work.

:wrong:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm not even going to get into the rest of it but to start with, there's a reason every STEM degree includes humanities and its to try to avoid people inventing super-smallpox because "its just technology, it's always morally neutral." Just like guns!

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
If you like Canticle and want to read the nonfiction version of nuclear annihilation books, I highly recommend Command and Control by Eric Schlosser

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

I'm not even going to get into the rest of it but to start with, there's a reason every STEM degree includes humanities and its to try to avoid people inventing super-smallpox because "its just technology, it's always morally neutral." Just like guns!

Just pretend I posted the dril “drunk driving” tweet here cause I don’t want to look it up

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Professor Shark posted:

It’s a very well known book for Internet People, not sure about book clubs or whatever

Yeah this about sums it up. I know a bunch of very well read mates I know would never of heard of it, but I also know a bunch of other mates who are into sci-fi who I know 100% would of at least of heard of it without even asking.

If I was thinking of typical book club very well read people, unless they have an intrest in sci-fi I would think they might of read Ursula Le Guin, Kurt Vonnegut (if you include some of his stuff as sci-fi?) Possibly read Dune, 1984, Fahrenheit 451, Brave new world, if you include those, but yeah maybe not to much beyond that (probably forgetting one or two other really well know ones.

But yeah, even if your reading constantly there is only so many books you can read in a lifetime alas, and there really is a poo poo ton of really, really good books in different genres, time periods, cultures so some stuffs always going to be missed.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

I do however what to get into all of this post. I didn't say that. Money, maybe some idealistic holistic teaching but mainly money. Lol no not like guns guns are designed for efficient murdering AI isn't. AI will absolutely be used for that but it's not exactly the reason it exists.

AI gives people plenty of material to masturbate over morality as if anything they do or say will matter as the steamroller of capitalism runs over them.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 29, 2023

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
What would be an example of content that AI didn't steal, and how did it come about producing it besides (I assume) actual sentience?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I've read the sequel to Canticle for Liebowitz.

Don't read the sequel to Canticle for Liebowitz.

Also, I just got recommended a book that is like Canticle and The Name of the Rose got together and had a baby: The Second Sleep. I'm only 50 pages in but so far it's decent. Not as good as its obvious inspirations, but readable.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Yeah this about sums it up. I know a bunch of very well read mates I know would never of heard of it, but I also know a bunch of other mates who are into sci-fi who I know 100% would of at least of heard of it without even asking.

If I was thinking of typical book club very well read people, unless they have an intrest in sci-fi I would think they might of read Ursula Le Guin, Kurt Vonnegut (if you include some of his stuff as sci-fi?) Possibly read Dune, 1984, Fahrenheit 451, Brave new world, if you include those, but yeah maybe not to much beyond that (probably forgetting one or two other really well know ones.

But yeah, even if your reading constantly there is only so many books you can read in a lifetime alas, and there really is a poo poo ton of really, really good books in different genres, time periods, cultures so some stuffs always going to be missed.

I wonder how much it is a man and woman thing, too. I bet readership of the book is significantly male.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Canticle for Liebowitz owns. So did Forever War by Joe Haldeman. They’re not exactly related but I read them back to back in my 20s and this conversation bathed me in a nostalgia where I actually missed the 2008 era because it felt like there was a chance of Roosevelt-style rebirth for all of us.

Just lol,lmao at my Obama-voting self.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Well Played Mauer posted:

Canticle for Liebowitz owns. So did Forever War by Joe Haldeman. They’re not exactly related but I read them back to back in my 20s and this conversation bathed me in a nostalgia where I actually missed the 2008 era because it felt like there was a chance of Roosevelt-style rebirth for all of us.

Just lol,lmao at my Obama-voting self.

I've read Forever War as well, and while I can see the similarities between the two books, I think they are also fundamentally different. FW is intentional, hostile; Canticle is just the folly of man over millennia.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Oh yeah they’re not the same book, I just think it’s good.

lovely things: Had a Tesla driver’s autopilot drive it through a stop sign and 10 feet into traffic before it panic reversed back into its side road, then inch back into the turn it was trying to make after I passed it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

What would be an example of content that AI didn't steal, and how did it come about producing it besides (I assume) actual sentience?

I'm not sure I count AI "learning" from many sources as stealing and even if I did, I do not care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
A Canticle for Leibowitz was an influence on Fallout 2 (there's a cut area in that game that is just the monastery from the second part) and I'd expect that plus post-apocalypse fascination in general is a part of its popularity among internet types.

skooma512 posted:

My wild guess is they're constraining the hell out of the "AI" between staying out of copyright hot water, cutting costs, staying out of hot water for racism/CP reasons, and overtuning from all the extra cooks in the kitchen looking to get AI on their resume.

I don't think you can make an AI that isn't flagrantly violating copyright. All you can train it on is public domain images, and yet every image generator knows what Mickey Mouse and Darth Vader look like.

As the post you alluded to suggested, models train on AI images will experience model collapse, where the algorithm will gradually produce images that are more and more similar to each other. It's like carcinisation, except instead of crabs, models all generally converge on becoming a big-titted anime lady.