Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

adnam posted:

I think the real issue is that most people got sucked into the Adobe LR system and now have decades of curated catalogues and have a near-lethal fear of migration- or that might just be me

Also that Canon Selphy printer is $40 bucks off all over the place which is awesome

really wanna know how much they paid Google to kill picasa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Google kills pieces of poo poo like that for breakfast

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

adnam posted:

Also that Canon Selphy printer is $40 bucks off all over the place which is awesome

And probably not coincidentally, sold out everywhere near me

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

adnam posted:

I think the real issue is that most people got sucked into the Adobe LR system and now have decades of curated catalogues and have a near-lethal fear of migration- or that might just be me

yeah, genuienly think this might be why my attitude and approach is so different. i never started with LR. because im piss poor. but i did end up organising my own files into catalogues on my own.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is there a decent paper that fits in the Selphy that has postcard style markings on the back? Because that would be super fun, just rapid fire my bullshit at family members.

A quick google says "yes" so I guess the question is more "is there a paper that prints a nice looking image and also has postcard markings."

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Is there a decent paper that fits in the Selphy that has postcard style markings on the back? Because that would be super fun, just rapid fire my bullshit at family members.

A quick google says "yes" so I guess the question is more "is there a paper that prints a nice looking image and also has postcard markings."

If you find it, please post it so I can buy it

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

shame on an IGA posted:

really wanna know how much they paid Google to kill picasa

This and OSX Aperture

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Havana Affair posted:

100% and the ui is horrendous. Can't find it now but on some photography blog there was an interview of the main developer and they basically said that there's 5 modules (tools) that can handle 99% of editing any photo but for some reason they have 50 and lot of them overlap. Why not hide the extra 45 modules behind some menu? No idea.

You can? If you select beginner workflow there are far less modules in the main menu.

I'm not going to argue darktable looks good or is easy to use, it's not at all but it's not an open source lightroom copy, it is it's own thing.
If anyone would like to stick with darktable, they're are lots of guides, rule of thumb though, create your own workflow and just add the modules you need, with will probably only be 5-10 for most.

If anyone's wants a more streamlined open source darktable you can look into Ansel.
One of the main Devs got into a fight with the others ones, took his toys and left and made his own.

It fixes a lot of the problems but as it's basically one dev developing it out of spite, who knows how long it will be supported.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 28, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mega Comrade posted:

If anyone's wants a more streamlined open source darktable you can look into Ansel.

I did, and the main dev really makes me not want to look into ansel.

From the main page of the Ansel site (screenshotted because he wont let you copy text from his site lmao):

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's pretty typical for the open source world. Lots of "my way or no way" types out there that like to think of themselves as a martyr.

Just gotta learn to ignore it, if the software is useful use it. If not, move on.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
lol reading the changes from Darktable page is fun, the guy is very angry about that software project.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Love to choose between two pieces of software in a petty slapfight with each other

Thats Open Source :waycool:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Software does need a single decision maker at some point IMO, especially for UI (speaking as someone in software development)

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I'm absolutely in the conspiracy theory camp that Adobe pays Affinity a yearly stipend to not produce a LR Clone.

Lightroom is really really really good though (and worth the money imo) 10$/month isn't much for something that you're going to be using for X hours a month. The stuff they've added to it the last 16 months is pretty amazing and worth the price imo.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Slotducks posted:

I'm absolutely in the conspiracy theory camp that Adobe pays Affinity a yearly stipend to not produce a LR Clone.

Lightroom is really really really good though (and worth the money imo) 10$/month isn't much for something that you're going to be using for X hours a month. The stuff they've added to it the last 16 months is pretty amazing and worth the price imo.

It's really good and terrible at the same time. Produces amazing results and has a great UI, but the performance (in Classic) has been garbage for 12+ years and only gets worse with every new feature. They still don't let you customize hotkeys either, which is my biggest gripe.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I just don't use it enough to pay a subscription, there's no way to just outright buy it anymore is there?

I'm OK with darktable, but I'd love to be able to look at people's lightroom presets etc and break down what they're doing.

field balm fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 29, 2023

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Slotducks posted:

Lightroom is really really really good though (and worth the money imo) 10$/month isn't much for something that you're going to be using for X hours a month.

I’m the guy that takes photos once or twice a year. Happy to pay $50-60 for a piece of software, but not a $10/mo subscription forever.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

If you're taking photos once or twice a year you likely don't need a full blown lightroom solution!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

So I'm thinking about getting a full-frame sensor camera but have a DX format camera right now. I know there's an adapter to let me use DX lenses on full frames, but it puts the sensor in a crop mode, which seems like it would negate the advantage of having the larger sensor/more expensive camera in the first place.

The thing is though, replacing my set of DX lenses with new full frame lenses seems like an absurdly expensive proposition. Full frame lenses seem like they go for double to quadruple the price of DX mounts. Is there a better way to go about this? I don't care if I need to buy some adapters, I don't care if it doesn't autofocus (would be nice, but not necessary) I don't care if it doesn't have vibration reduction or other fancy features. Metering would be nice. Is shooting full-frame just something I will have to save for, or are there less costly options?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What’s your current gear, and is going FF something you’re doing because you’re doing photography that has gone beyond the limits of what your gear can do, or is it (a fairly common) itch to go to something bigger and better with the hopes that it’s the difference to putting out better work?

Slotducks posted:

The stuff they've added to it the last 16 months is pretty amazing and worth the price imo.

I take it this is referring to the newer LR software that was essentially built from scratch, as opposed to the one dubbed ‘Lightroom Classic’ which is where I’ve spent all my time. Are the changes enough to convince people who really didn’t like the new software when it was first launched? Always willing to give things a new try, and I’m going to be starting a fresh library when I’ve had time to move storage over to a different computer anyway.

I remember it being very ‘we want you to work out of the cloud’, where I’m the complete opposite and certainly don’t want to be paying them for extra storage.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I assume they're talking about the machine learning denoise, lens blur, and premium smart adjustment presets like portrait retouching, background/subject selection, etc. Those are all in Classic and some of them are game changers in previously time consuming things like masking.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh nice, I assumed Classic was essentially feature complete these days and hadn’t followed its updates. Looks like I can stick with old faithful then! I didn’t really get on with DXO, but its denoise engine seemed legit so it’ll be neat to see if LR can match it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, the Lightroom denoise is huge. I use that and the super resolution a lot.

25 seems to be the sweet spot for the amount, keeps the detail but removes a ton of noise.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 29, 2023

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

EL BROMANCE posted:

What’s your current gear, and is going FF something you’re doing because you’re doing photography that has gone beyond the limits of what your gear can do, or is it (a fairly common) itch to go to something bigger and better with the hopes that it’s the difference to putting out better work?

I feel like I have pushed my gear pretty well; been doing this for 15 years, I have been in galleries, and do some amount of graphic design contracting. Shooting a D90 with relatively cheap lenses atm, mostly lean on the 55-200mm, 50mm 1.8D, and 40mm macro Nikkors. I haven't kept up with the hardware or state of the art in a long time, I'm generally not in a position to afford it and I generally don't like having gear that I don't use often. Just feeling like if I am going to finally move on from the D90 I should go mirrorless, and if I do, it seems prudent to take a step up in camera ability as well.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I buy a licence for lr&ps yearly for 80€ from Black Friday sale. Dunno what to do if they some year end it. I used to pay 4€/roll to develop film, then I used hours to scan one roll. Convenience of LR is enough for me to pay for it instead of going back to film. Also film is super expensive these days.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

aniviron posted:

I feel like I have pushed my gear pretty well; been doing this for 15 years, I have been in galleries, and do some amount of graphic design contracting. Shooting a D90 with relatively cheap lenses atm, mostly lean on the 55-200mm, 50mm 1.8D, and 40mm macro Nikkors. I haven't kept up with the hardware or state of the art in a long time, I'm generally not in a position to afford it and I generally don't like having gear that I don't use often. Just feeling like if I am going to finally move on from the D90 I should go mirrorless, and if I do, it seems prudent to take a step up in camera ability as well.

There is little point adapting any of those lenses to FF Z mount bodies. You're just handicapping yourself.

You can pick up a Z6 with a 24-70 for about £1000, that's pretty much the cheapest option and it will be a while before the Z mount glass comes down, good glass doesn't lose value quickly.

Other options you have aree getting a z50 (DX z body) then you could adapt your lenses and then overtime replace them for FF Z mount and then upgrade the z50 to a FF body.

You also have the option of not going mirrorless and staying in the drastically cheaper F mount eco system. A D750 is a steal these days and prevoous pro grade F mount lenses go for a fraction of what they did a couple of years ago.

A D7500/D7200 is also worth considering. Not FF or mirrorless but is leaps and bounds more advanced than your D90 and would be the cheapest option.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Dec 29, 2023

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Appreciate the advice; kinda figured that these lenses wouldn't cut it on a Z6/7, which is why the budget concerns come up.

It seemed like mirrorless options might be mature enough now to warrant the switch; but you're making me have second thoughts. Are the advantages big enough, to those who have used mirrorless? I have yet to actually get my hands on one.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

aniviron posted:

Appreciate the advice; kinda figured that these lenses wouldn't cut it on a Z6/7, which is why the budget concerns come up.

It seemed like mirrorless options might be mature enough now to warrant the switch; but you're making me have second thoughts. Are the advantages big enough, to those who have used mirrorless? I have yet to actually get my hands on one.

If you are on a budget I think sticking to F-mount DSLR is not a bad idea at all. Prices on bodies and lenses have dropped significantly and I doubt they'll lose a _lot_ of value at the current pricepoint. A D750 + 24-120 and maybe 70-300P would make for a killer setup. Great high ISO, great autofocus.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I’ll vouch for the D750, too. It was Nikon’s best all around DSLR dollar for dollar when it came out and seems to be that way today on the used market. There are pros still shooting it for work today.

Another option is to find a D600 that you know the oily shutter was replaced on. Those can go for under 400 bucks and the sensor still holds up today. The autofocus is less than ideal, but it’s still a great camera.

The newer cameras have gotten 1 billion new features since Nikon’s first 24mp FF sensor came out, but the sensors have not advanced leaps and bounds beyond what most people will use it for. You’ll even find people lamenting that the Z8/Z9 doesn’t have the same look as the D850, although some photographers just like to complain about anything.

Edit: I guess D600s list for under $400 all the time on MPB. You could always buy one and return it if the oil spots are visible in the corners of the frame.

Brrrmph fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 29, 2023

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

I take it this is referring to the newer LR software that was essentially built from scratch, as opposed to the one dubbed ‘Lightroom Classic’ which is where I’ve spent all my time. Are the changes enough to convince people who really didn’t like the new software when it was first launched? Always willing to give things a new try, and I’m going to be starting a fresh library when I’ve had time to move storage over to a different computer anyway.

I remember it being very ‘we want you to work out of the cloud’, where I’m the complete opposite and certainly don’t want to be paying them for extra storage.

Others touched on it - but yeah, the stuff they've added to both Lightroom and Lightroom Classic is pretty incredible.

I use a lot of these in my day-to-day effort in trying to get 40 or so likes on an instagram post (half kidding)

AI Denoise - Fantastic for my concert work, less great on wildlife (Topaz Denoise is still top for me for wildlife/birding)

Better masking options, auto selecting subjects, skies, even certain parts on people (eyes, mouth, etc etc)

Preset amount slider (so if you have a preset but want to dial it back a little bit, you can)

Point Colour & Curve adjustments within just the selected mask

Content aware removal right in Lightroom itself (no more going into Photoshop unless you want to use their AI Generative removal stuff (which is admittingly very good)

Lots and lots and lots to like about the progress on Lightroom the last year or so.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

With all this AI fanciness how come no one's come up with an AI lens flare remover?

Photoshop's AI generate for removing flaws is amazing. It's content aware remove with zero effort needed.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

xzzy posted:

With all this AI fanciness how come no one's come up with an AI lens flare remover?

Photoshop's AI generate for removing flaws is amazing. It's content aware remove with zero effort needed.

Holy crap, that is amazing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Slotducks posted:

Lots and lots and lots to like about the progress on Lightroom the last year or so.

Rad, appreciate the breakdowns. Looks like I’ve got some new faders to be maxing soon!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This spring I'm planning on driving a pre war car cross country. Or a good chunk of it. I took some video of me doing a 400 mile road trip last spring in it and that was pretty successful but it was all hand shot shakey cam stuff

Vice Grip Garage does a lot of filler with "hyperlapse" or time lapse video

What kind of camera should I be looking at for this? I know go pro offers this feature but I'm looking for something I can suction cup to the windshield that has good 1080p quality and can time lapse for ~4 hours or between gas station top offs

I'll only be driving during the day generally, sun up to sun down but I might drive it through Atlanta, Houston and new Orleans at night. I know the OG go pro really struggled with good image quality but mobile optics have really come a long ways

I have a fuji xt-3 but that seems super bulky for this and kind of a hassle

I bought/own a rando go pro clone back in like 2017 but I don't think I ever got more than like 45 minutes of video out of it and it would corrupt the card when the battery died so hesitant to pick up something random and cheap again

Probably not going to record any audio with it, or not planning to use the audio from it

Bonus points if it has easily swappable batteries

Open to ideas or thoughts?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

DJI Action 4 is really good for how small and usable it is. It's a good bit better in low light than the latest Gopro thanks to the bigger sensor too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFVHdyq2mbk

Very usable night footage, especially for timelapses.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 30, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I actually built my own for stuff like that because action cams are pretty bad at it. Small battery, overheat easily, difficult interface to mess with while driving.

Maybe a dashcam would work better? Not sure, never got into it. But I had a raspberry pi and the camera for it so I did a "how hard could it be??" and made my own. It worked well enough that I'm in the process of cleaning it up and making a proper case for it (and adding a battery ups because I kept forgetting to cleanly shut it off at gas stations). Set it up to take a 1080p sized frame every 0.8 seconds and I got almost four days of road trip out of it with zero issues. This did mean I had to assemble it into video when I got home but ffmpeg makes it relatively easy.

I don't know if that's something in your interest but I feel like it's the best way to go.. allows customization to get exactly what you want.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Brrrmph posted:

The newer cameras have gotten 1 billion new features since Nikon’s first 24mp FF sensor came out, but the sensors have not advanced leaps and bounds beyond what most people will use it for. You’ll even find people lamenting that the Z8/Z9 doesn’t have the same look as the D850, although some photographers just like to complain about anything.

The D850 is one of the best camera-sensor combos ever, so their position is not really that far fetched.

Some photographers of course still just like to complain about anything.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Bottom Liner posted:

DJI Action 4 is really good for how small and usable it is. It's a good bit better in low light than the latest Gopro thanks to the bigger sensor too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFVHdyq2mbk

Very usable night footage, especially for timelapses.

That's really surprisingly good, not worth the immediate upgrade but I'm definitely considering this next time I need a new one.

Hadlock posted:

driving timelapses

I also enjoy making these and if you can find a good deal on an older model GoPro it's probably a pretty economical choice, I think I saw a 10 at Costco a couple weeks ago for like $200, so you could maybe get a 9 or an 8 for $150. The footage is a little muddy but I don't know how much you can do about that when you're moving about 900 miles per hour. The 8 is the first model that has an attachment built into the case, so if you go 7 or below, you'd need to pick up a case to attach it to stuff.

Rather than a suction cup I'd recommend getting a magnetic mount (suction cups and clamps haven't always held up for me at high speeds). Right now I've got this one I think, but any model would do the trick. The battery lasts for maybe 2 hours but I run a cord through the window to keep it charged and have managed timelapses of 5-6 hours.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The thing with the GoPro is its rock solid optical stabilization. You can make hyperlapses that look as smooth as they do because of its stabilization.

Yes, GoPros are not super great at night, but if you turn off the stabilization their night video gets a lot better because at that point they’re just a normal tiny camera and you can set them to high iso/slow shutter. The stabilization is a combo of optical and gyro, and when it’s too dark for the GoPro cpu to do the optical flow stabilization, the video turns to crap, which is why you turn it off at night.

Gimbal stabilized GoPro night video looks really good usually.

Anyway, if it were me, I’d still go with the GoPro because there is an entire industry of accessories out there that will help you accomplish what you want to do. Cases, mounts, articulation, it’s all out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

DanTheFryingPan posted:

photographers just like to complain