Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Doltos posted:

He averaged 11 yards a punt and 24 yards a return per game. Yeah people kicked away from him, but none of these things really completely change a game.

Now include in his numbers the bonus yardage from teams kicking away from him or out-of-bounds so he wouldn't touch the ball.

If peak Hester had been on a team with an offense worth a drat, such as the Green Bay Packers, it would've been unquestionable how much he affected the calculus going into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

SKULL.GIF posted:

Running in the open field, presumably after a completion, presumably after roughly half the defense (at minimum) has been eliminated via blocking, presumably after the remaining half has been eliminated from consideration because of positioning because they were assigned to other targets during the development of the play.

If you started every single offensive snap with a 25 yards backwards pass to Barry Sanders you'd have Devin Hester.

You'll find that kick returners are taught to isolate parts of the field with speed and then strike through open lanes. It's what's taught in high school all the way to the NFL and why Hester and other returners better than him are known for being elite at it. You don't take on 11 guys as a returner unless you're running a blocking scheme that has been outlawed for a while. You do take on more people, but again, the physical skill set that you're talking about is speed and agility. The concept is speed to strike. These are identical concepts. What you're claiming is Hester was faster than other WRs at doing this, which again isn't really true.

No. He's not Barry Sanders. Stop being ridiculous.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

You also need guys to practice it, if they're going to do it game day, even in a pinch.

I know Steve Smith just put his hand up for one against Seattle but he's just built different.

Antonio Brown was still returning punts when he was an established wr I think but he's the last I can remember in terms of primary offensive piece also doing so, maybe Edelman as well?

I doubt DJ Moore has fielded a punt in a long while.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Doltos posted:

You'll find that kick returners are taught to isolate parts of the field with speed and then strike through open lanes.

The whole point of Devin Hester is that he didn't just find one open lane and then get tackled at the 35 yard line, it was that he'd find that open lane, blitz through it, see incoming tacklers, dance to the side, see two more open lanes, diagnose that one was more open than the other, then blitz through that as well.

I WATCHED my team embarrass themselves against Hester repeatedly. Did you?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Man you're a Packers fan no wonder you love Hester the next most dynamic player you've ever watched is Jordy Nelson

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Lmao comparing Hester to Sanders is absolutely deranged

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

BrownThunder posted:

Lmao comparing Hester to Sanders is absolutely deranged

We've officially gone off the deep end.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Also, his highlight reel is basically why not to out kick your coverage 101.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEYg8RoaVDE

Also, Vikings, wtf.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Maed posted:

I'd rather read another 5000 word kawalimas essay than any more doltos hot takes

Kawa is TFF's most rational poster next to that guy

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Hester was amazing but i don't think returners should be in the HoF, if you think they do then yea makes sense to put Hester in.

It's wild to me anyone would put Hester in over any of these other dudes:

◽️ Reggie Wayne
◽️ Torry Holt
◽️ Julius Peppers
◽️ Antonio Gates
◽️ Patrick Willis
◽️ Rodney Harrison
◽️ Dwight Freeney
◽️ Jared Allen
◽️ Andre Johnson
◽️ Jahri Evans
◽️ Willie Anderson
◽️ Eric Allen
◽️ Darren Woodson
◽️ Fred Taylor

Like Hester over Torry Holt or Willie Anderson??!?!?

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 29, 2023

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Doltos posted:

Man you're a Packers fan no wonder you love Hester the next most dynamic player you've ever watched is Jordy Nelson

He was 1996 Desmond Howard but made a whole career out of it.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Hester was amazing but i don't think returners should be in the HoF, if you think they do then yea makes sense to put Hester in.

It's wild to me anyone would put Hester in over any of these other dudes:

◽️ Reggie Wayne
◽️ Torry Holt
◽️ Julius Peppers
◽️ Antonio Gates
◽️ Patrick Willis
◽️ Rodney Harrison
◽️ Dwight Freeney
◽️ Jared Allen
◽️ Andre Johnson
◽️ Jahri Evans
◽️ Willie Anderson
◽️ Eric Allen
◽️ Darren Woodson
◽️ Fred Taylor

Yes.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Relentlessboredomm posted:

If there were 5 open slots those dudes shouldn't make it in. Definition of Hall of Very Good type players.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The337th posted:

Kawa is TFF's most rational poster next to that guy

Kawalimus is perfectly rational and people who don't like him are pretty big weirdos, by and large

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Coldforge posted:

I have no feeling or thoughts about Hester in the hall, but using a college play to endorse his NFL HoF case is maybe not well considered.

It's not the Hall of Amazing Things People Did Outside the NFL.

I wasn't posting the play, I was posting the longtime Detroit Lions media guy confirming that other teams feared Hester so much that they deliberately punted the ball out of bounds rather than risk him getting his hands on it. Which is absolutely insane!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Punts happen in every single NFL game with exceedingly rare exceptions. They happen mostly the same way, with some variation for field position or unusually good returns. That an NFL team would change their entire strategy for one of the most routine plays in the whole sport because a single player is that goddamn dangerous if they do it the usual way... that to me is Hall of Fame material and it's hard to argue otherwise.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I think dudes who did memorable things that made headlines or all time clips deserve to be in the hall of fame because hey that dude is responsible for the greatest play ever seen at the time and is still remarkable. don’t need to have some bizarre stats wonkery involved. The dude made play(s) that made people love football or something idk

Anyways what’s fame if not a famous string of plays

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I remember Jagr making plays that were nuts or the red wings domination in the late 90s and the goalie fights and poo poo all are memorable things and everyone involved should eventually be inducted, because they were strings of play that were nuts at the time and led to a new generation of people who love hockey

Stats guarding is lame

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

The Puppy Bowl posted:

If there were 5 open slots those dudes shouldn't make it in. Definition of Hall of Very Good type players.

maybe not if there's only 5 slots bc that list has some killers but id absolutely put them in over a returner

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Only Saints fans remember or care about Jahri Evans. Everyone remembers Devin Hester. Its called the Hall of Fame, folks

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Doltos posted:

Kawalimus is perfectly rational and people who don't like him are pretty big weirdos, by and large

First Ballot in the Hall of Rationality

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
The people who think Devin Hester should be in the hall are the same that think Aaron Rodgers should be in the hall

:thunk:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Asproigerosis posted:

The people who think Devin Hester should be in the hall are the same that think Aaron Rodgers should be in the hall

Hester is contentious (I think there is room for precisely one of each K, P, returner and STer, provided they're obviously the best ever to do it).

Rodgers is a 4 time MVP and has a super bowl MVP. He's probably first ballot.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Rodgers is one of my least-favorite players ever and was for nearly 15 years the face of my least-favorite sports franchise in the world. He will absolutely be in the Hall of Fame at some point, and most likely first-ballot. Especially if he can actually back up his talk about fully recovering from that Achilles tear.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
How long ago was this so called super bowl? In the Neolithic era? You can't reward a guy for playing in the deadball era when the modern game is completely different.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Rodgers couldn’t ever get it done in the post season. Perfect example of a guy who’s content to pad his own stats but wilts under the bright lights of the playoffs. Other players like Joe Flacco or Elisha Manning weren’t as impressive on paper but they had an extra gear they could activate for special moments, when it really counted.

To me, the players that deliver championships for their teams are more impressive than the showboats like Rodgers or Philip Rivers. Just my opinion.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Aaron Rodgers is a Social Media Quarterback.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Mega64 posted:

Aaron Rodgers is a Truth Social Quarterback.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Barry Sanders returning kicks would have been rad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy64hV71n8M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-MFKyA_T1k

NFL Coaches had no imagination.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Alaois posted:

Only Saints fans remember or care about Jahri Evans. Everyone remembers Devin Hester. Its called the Hall of Fame, folks

While this is true, that's more because no one cares when a guard does their job right and with elite play for a full decade outside of us nerds.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Counterpoint: Marshall Yanda will go in first ballot.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The slot thing is the problem. There's a zillion very good QBs in the hall, but suddenly the most obvious best punt returner ever shouldn't get in due to slot scarcity? Ok fine, just don't let any OL or WRs in either.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

in a sport with 50+ guys per team, it's insane that they only let in 5 guys a year

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Asproigerosis posted:

you mean the correct people?

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Peak Great Value brand off-season posting and sperging while the gd Detroit Lions won the NFC North and the Browns are sinking teams with Joe Flacco.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

trevorreznik posted:

The slot thing is the problem. There's a zillion very good QBs in the hall, but suddenly the most obvious best punt returner ever shouldn't get in due to slot scarcity? Ok fine, just don't let any OL or WRs in either.

Makes me wonder if it would be better to have designated slots for every position instead of trying to judge a cornerback's contribution against a guard's against a quarterback's in a free-for-all.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I don’t know how I stumbled into this Devin Hester slander but I shan’t stand for it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
We should make a Hall of Very Goon.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Mega64 posted:

We should make a Hall of Very Goon.

Every OL who ever played gets in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
If you don't believe that a player should be in the Hall of Fame despite being literally the best ever at his position then you suck