Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Lostconfused posted:

Oh just noticed that all the allarus have the double ended pommel.

Yeah one of the new models teased is definitely a terminator custodes.

Possibly a character since allarus and praetors are missing named characters you can attach to them. The armor looks like horus heresy armor though with that eagle silhouette.

it's normal custodes armour in the teaser, among other things you can see those distinctive leather straps on the back of the legs and very clearly see the silhouette matches when it rotates behind the model. that eagle on the back of the neck is also part of the normal armour design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, I think in the old lore the Custodes towered over Space Marines

Iirc they were also half naked

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Confirmation of plastic Solar Auxilia!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/12/28/whats-coming-to-the-horus-heresy-in-2024/

Also looks like some kind of Light Sentinel, I imagine they'll also eventually have the Aetheon Heavy Sentinel that they get in LI

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, I think in the old lore the Custodes towered over Space Marines

Iirc they were also half naked

Also in new lore, but the Custodes model range was released before the Primaris models and the new scale, so they look at bit squat by current standards.

I think GW's obsession with power=size is a bit infantile, but I do hope the newer Custodes models will inch towards more modern scales.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Virtual Russian posted:

Cross posting from painting thread

Still looking for thoughts/reassurance on painting the horse, plus general basing ideas. I've got a lot of open base to work with. I prefer really minimalist basing, but I don't want it to look unfinished. If I can find a vostroyan casualty for a reasonable price I might put that in.

Speaking of Vostroyans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGuaDv7JGt8

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Athas posted:

Also in new lore, but the Custodes model range was released before the Primaris models and the new scale, so they look at bit squat by current standards.

I think GW's obsession with power=size is a bit infantile, but I do hope the newer Custodes models will inch towards more modern scales.

Grey Knights too!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's a bit more obvious with the grey knights imo.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Lostconfused posted:

It's a bit more obvious with the grey knights imo.

They're so small they're almost cute, which is less than ideal.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I hope they just make the new GK terminators bigger and not much else, I've always liked how they look. The regular guys I'm more so and so on though.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Hihohe posted:

I dunno Nazdreg is described as a big ole fat boy and this thing seems kinda slim (you can see little holes through it)

orkzempic

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Just get Grey Knights up to CSM size and we'll be fine

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
They need to sit down and set the standard sizes and ratios. Everybody can't be the biggest or everybody is going to grow a few mm each release until all the main characters are Imperial knight size.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

With the JoyToy Knights being almost 60cm tall they have a long ways to go.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Testikles posted:

They need to sit down and set the standard sizes and ratios. Everybody can't be the biggest or everybody is going to grow a few mm each release until all the main characters are Imperial knight size.

Short kings rise up!!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I really hate how the modularity of space marines died with primaris kits. I could just buy or trade for bits and they would work on all space marine infantry.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I don't miss a pack of 10 space marines coming with only 1 thunder hammer

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Star Man posted:

I really hate how the modularity of space marines died with primaris kits. I could just buy or trade for bits and they would work on all space marine infantry.

The tactical marine kit supplemented by the sternguard and vanguard kits were my absolute favorite models to build, ever.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Star Man posted:

they definitely have less variety of fiddly options, but i've only found this to be true of the torsos and legs. since playing in 3e, i've found that cutting and swapping and reposing and bashing have improved significantly.

metal-plastic hybrids are extinct. they were poorly balanced and generally not designed with good thought for how they attached to the plastic model. good riddance to them.

kits come with all of their options (usually). this has meant an optionpocalypse for units like tactical squads, but those units back in the day did not have ready sources of the weapons you actually wanted to equip them with. characters now actually have the weapons you want to give to them in most cases, for SM. (the situation is less good for chaos.)

3D printing and horus heresy exist. there just wasn't a place to buy a half-dozen melta guns or lascannon back in the day, unless someone already had those in their bits box.

i can't really think of anything that's changed for the worse!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Star Man posted:

Arms, shoulders, helmets and backpacks should all still be modular as long as the sculpt has flat arm attachments.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
There's more modularity to the primaris sculpts than it first seems like, but it does seem like kinda a shame that you can't mix quite as many different parts together. It helps when you have a few different kirsllts to work with, the new primaris kits have a much better variety of helmets, backpacks, shoulder pads and decorations than the esrlier kits did

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 28, 2023

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I'm hoping this new trend of large upgrade kits continues, as we've seen with the Night Lords and Dark Angels kits.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Super Waffle posted:

I'm hoping this new trend of large upgrade kits continues, as we've seen with the Night Lords and Dark Angels kits.

Credit where credit is due they started this trend with the sweet Black Templars upgrade kit

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Cease to Hope posted:

i can't really think of anything that's changed for the worse!

One extremely major and significant thing is that you simply don’t have nearly as many pose options or the ability to kitbash interesting looking characters from multiple kits without much more effort. It doesn’t matter if there’s technically a way to build each option in the codex - that’s just one of many reasons to convert a model, and modeling is a major part of the hobby. It’s a lot more difficult than it used to be.

I’m not saying that the new sculpting and sprueing process is worse than the old one, but it is what it is. It has downsides.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

AnEdgelord posted:

Credit where credit is due they started this trend with the sweet Black Templars 4th edition dark angels upgrade kits

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

One extremely major and significant thing is that you simply don’t have nearly as many pose options or the ability to kitbash interesting looking characters from multiple kits without much more effort. It doesn’t matter if there’s technically a way to build each option in the codex - that’s just one of many reasons to convert a model, and modeling is a major part of the hobby. It’s a lot more difficult than it used to be.

I remember how easy it was back in the day to kitbash 10 different marines in the same power squat pose. It was "easy" to kitbash but the variety is the same sort of variety you get with lego figures. Everyone looks the same except for the accessories they're holding.

Give me a set of assault intercessor bodies to kitbash over that any time.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

One extremely major and significant thing is that you simply don’t have nearly as many pose options or the ability to kitbash interesting looking characters from multiple kits without much more effort.

I do say that the only thing stopping you is the lack of a craft saw or cowardice, but I still have to disagree. The move from powersquat marines to the CAD sliced poses doesn't make it harder to make simple changes to poses, it just gives you less reason to want to do so, since more-dynamic posing isn't as boring. When you want to get out the craft saw, the new plastics are plastic, and thus much easier to saw and repose, and have much more interesting parts to work with because of that greater variety.

There may be some really nice chaos marine or boring marine kit I missed out on, but I'm mainly comparing 3e plastics and midhammer metals to modern primaris and CSM, and there really is no comparison.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
When I kit bashed that space wolves iron priest (tech marine) all I did was dig through the bits box and find which arms looked cool for that pose and then changed the weapon on the right hand and then swapped the left one out for a metal paw from the thunderwolf box. It took some surgery to change the hands but saying you can't easily kitbash the modern stuff is some grognard poo poo

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

There is variation among the Small Marine arms- see my post history in the painting thread with my Dr. Big Arm Apothecary

Primaris arms really aren’t all that different than Smallies

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm painting more Kin atm and now I'm suddenly wondering if we are going by Dwarf rules for the Leagues of Votann, like is this a beard=male bare chin=female situation? Are they secretly (to my idiot eyes) one of the more (most) diverse forces in 40k?

Not that I'd let a beard stop me, if I could paint well enough to do eye shadow I'd have a Cheery Longbottom Squat immediately

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
All modern space marine (loyalist and chaos) bodies are explicitly designed to be compatible with all old head and shoulder options. Arms are kinda variable, I tried slapping the chaincannon from the Legionaries Kill Team on a Rubric as an extra Soulreaper Cannon and the Rubric torso was a little too skinny for it but arms that don't connect together should be fine.

Shoehead posted:

I'm painting more Kin atm and now I'm suddenly wondering if we are going by Dwarf rules for the Leagues of Votann, like is this a beard=male bare chin=female situation? Are they secretly (to my idiot eyes) one of the more (most) diverse forces in 40k?

Not that I'd let a beard stop me, if I could paint well enough to do eye shadow I'd have a Cheery Longbottom Squat immediately

All the modern Eldar kits come with a fairly even split of male and female heads and torsos. Except Howling Banshees. If you're a dude Howling Banshee you wear the booby armour in honour of Morai-Heg.

Eej fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 29, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Professor Shark posted:

There is variation among the Small Marine arms- see my post history in the painting thread with my Dr. Big Arm Apothecary

Primaris arms really aren’t all that different than Smallies

They're basically the proportions and squat marine arms work with the primaris kits

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Of course I was so focused on space dwarves if forgot about space elves

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Super Waffle posted:

I'd rather buy one box and everything to come in it

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Athas posted:

it's not infantile, its medieval

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Athas posted:

I think GW's obsession with power=size is a bit infantile

To be fair this is pretty lore accurate for the Imperium

Shoehead posted:

They didn't really keep the beard stuff for the Kin in order to differentiate them from being just copy/paste space dwarves, their kits are very diverse and I really like it. Plenty of male faces with no/short beards. The emphasis on practicality in their background really plays into that, I think.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 29, 2023

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

did not mean to double post

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Like clay I shall mould them and in the furnace of war forge them. They will be of iron will and steely muscle. In great armour shall I clad them and with the mightiest guns will they be armed. They should have really big shoulder pads because I need to know they can push things really hard. I am the Emperor and this is canon.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Shoehead posted:

They also have Ironkin in units, so that puts them above Tau and Eldar in diversity. Dark Eldar are kinda close as the Court of the Archon had multiple xenos in one unit, but it was only one unit.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I could honestly do with a few more Ironkin heads per box. One is not enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

S.J. posted:

To be fair this is pretty lore accurate for the Imperium

Well, that's the main part I'm criticizing, since the lore is made up. It should be made up differently. It's cool in a comic book way for your transhuman super soldier to be be over a head taller than an ordinary soldier, and impossibly broad-chested with a heroic physique, but it starts getting silly when each level of power (marine -> primaris -> custode -> primarch -> emperor) adds another third of a metre. A four meter tall emperor doesn't look visually cool; it looks silly in context, and raises all kinds of awkward questions. What, do people talk to his nuts? A terrifying power armored man having to bow as he menacingly enters the home of a normal human is a cool visual, but a giant having to crawl on his hands and feet because he won't fit otherwise is not. Look at this poo poo.

I am aware that the Emperor is probably not actually all that large, at least not all the time, and that it's magical trickery, but there's no reason to think the others are not physically as large as they are explained to be. And since my complaint is about the visual impression of things, the God Emperor of Mankind who designed all this stuff should have realised that it looks silly.

I should note that it's fine for Orks and the like to follow the logic of stronger=bigger, since their visual style and societies are very different.

Athas fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 29, 2023