Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udk0zSCi8mA

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've heard magic missile is real good but it seems like I'm missing something because it's kind of bad on my sorcerer. Maybe there's a wizard ability to improve it?

Magic Missile never misses (unless the enemy uses a Shield spell which is also rare), uses Force as an element which means not many things resist it anyway, can be divided against multiple targets to finish off more than one dumbass stubbornly clinging on to 2HP, and each hit also procs lightning charges if you have The Spellsparkler for extra damage and charges to compound the damage even more. And it can also chunk through Unstoppable barrier charges. It is an extremely good and cool spell.

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've heard magic missile is real good but it seems like I'm missing something because it's kind of bad on my sorcerer. Maybe there's a wizard ability to improve it?

I ended up just downloading cheatengine to get the hair. Not sure if it broke my achievements, we'll see. Now I've got 16 str, 18dex, 8con, 8int, 20wis, 8cha on my TB monk at level 12. Speaking of, anywhere to get a consistent supply of cloud giant elixirs? I've got the amulet of greater health to set my constitution to 23 but there's a big difference between +3 strength and +8 or whatever 27 is.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

magic missile is good because it counts as several individual hits, all of which can trigger effects that apply flat bonus damage. it's average on its own, aside from helping with an act 3 mechanic that pops up occasionally, but it becomes truly ludicrous damage when you stack up a bunch of per-hit damage sources on a target

evocation wizard benefits especially hard from this since their capstone trait gives them +INT damage on all their spell hits, which turns magic missile into an even more hilarious murder machine

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
[in gale voice] Tormented.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I ended up just downloading cheatengine to get the hair. Not sure if it broke my achievements, we'll see. Now I've got 16 str, 18dex, 8con, 8int, 20wis, 8cha on my TB monk at level 12. Speaking of, anywhere to get a consistent supply of cloud giant elixirs? I've got the amulet of greater health to set my constitution to 23 but there's a big difference between +3 strength and +8 or whatever 27 is.

Every long rest just do a lap of all the apothecary-type vendors around Baldur's Gate. There's two in Rivington/Wyrm's Rock and two in Baldur's Gate.

Derryth Bonecloak is the best, she usually has two, but you had to have given her the noblestalk in Act 1.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Vermain posted:

magic missile is good because it counts as several individual hits, all of which can trigger effects that apply flat bonus damage. it's average on its own, aside from helping with an act 3 mechanic that pops up occasionally, but it becomes truly ludicrous damage when you stack up a bunch of per-hit damage sources on a target

evocation wizard benefits especially hard from this since their capstone trait gives them +INT damage on all their spell hits, which turns magic missile into an even more hilarious murder machine

Ah, the probable +5 to each missile would make a big difference since it becomes 6-9 per missile rather than 1-4. I use magic missile to finish off weak enemies but aside from that it's scorching ray or AoEs from my sorcerer.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
GOD damnit. Dark Urge may not be the best thing for babby's first Honour Mode run (without even beating the game before). After the Last Light Inn, I failed five rolls to NOT kill Lae'zel and ended up doing it anyway. Then *Saving...*, next scene, party turns on me and no way to survive this one.

Welp, time to start a new game. Maybe I'll save HM for later run when I'm not so bad at this.

e: Oddly, I don't get the HM screen where I can choose to continue without deleting my save, just the normal Main Menu / Continue...

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

TraderStav posted:

GOD damnit. Dark Urge may not be the best thing for babby's first Honour Mode run (without even beating the game before). After the Last Light Inn, I failed five rolls to NOT kill Lae'zel and ended up doing it anyway. Then *Saving...*, next scene, party turns on me and no way to survive this one.

Welp, time to start a new game. Maybe I'll save HM for later run when I'm not so bad at this.

e: Oddly, I don't get the HM screen where I can choose to continue without deleting my save, just the normal Main Menu / Continue...

I would guess it’s cuz you got perma killed by your party

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I tried that with my monk last night and he saved almost every turn. I also hosed up and didn't swap to psychic or necrotic damage on my open hand monk so I got stunned for a turn. At least the monk cancels stuns on itself so I didn't stay stunned for an entire four turns.

Does Auntie Ethel's Hair disappear at some point? I can't find it anywhere now that I want to use it.

If Ethel’s hair is in your inventory when you get the cutscene to feed the owlbear cub when it first comes to your camp it will be fed to the owlbear instead of food.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It used to have bugged interactions that let you add 1d10 damage to each missile from the gloves in act 3. So as an evoker each missile would do 1d4+1d10+6+1 damage. Then people would take it further by doing things like adding lightning charges and using phalar aluve - the sword has a special ability which activates an aura that makes all sources of damage do an extra 1d4 damage, so in the above example a magic missile with lightning charges would do an extra 5d4 damage per missile.

It’s still strong but it’s massively overrated and requires you to do a ton of setup to make it go off. You’re better off just playing a sorcerer instead and getting to cast 3 chain lightnings in a round.

It still has value as a situational tool to wipe out several enemies that only have a few hp left or to target someone that you wouldn’t normally be able to since the missiles are homing and never miss.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I'd say Abjurer is definitely in the Evoker/Divination tier.

lauresh
Jun 1, 2013

What are we having for dinner?
It's been genuinely nice to sink my teeth into a game with the depth and love that Larian has put into this one, I do find myself reloading saves to re do interactions to get better outcomes quite a bit which is very reminiscent of old Bioware games.

Still on Act 1 but having a great time.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Pellisworth posted:

karlach stole my heart

I posted earlier as a Halfling Bard doing a Karlach wife guy run, mostly because I thought it was very funny looking.

She did initially make me laugh by smashing the paladins and saying “oh gently caress” and “you fucker” so I continued the romance.

Then in Act 3 *Karlach romance spoilers ahead* she starts talking about how serious her condition is and how she’s going to die. She talks about spending her precious remaining time with you. You visit her parents gravestones. She’s so genuine and sweet.

My IRL wife (not my fake BG3 Karlach wife) has a deadly chronic illness so all this poo poo hit me like a ton of bricks. They’re playing out the scene with the lovely half orc waiter and I’m tearing up. What the gently caress game. I never asked for this.

Imagine getting emotionally owned by video game writing holy poo poo.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

The Lord Bude posted:

If Ethel’s hair is in your inventory when you get the cutscene to feed the owlbear cub when it first comes to your camp it will be fed to the owlbear instead of food.

I failed my animal handling roll when it showed up injured. Is it over for me goons?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Ah, the probable +5 to each missile would make a big difference since it becomes 6-9 per missile rather than 1-4. I use magic missile to finish off weak enemies but aside from that it's scorching ray or AoEs from my sorcerer.

There's also Psychic Spark, which you can pick up in Act 1 (I think the bugbear guy in the mushroom village sells it), which makes every Magic Missile you cast essentially upcast at +1 level for free.

It requires some setup but not really as much as Bude is claiming, and it's an idea use of smaller spell slots and you can still get some extra damage on it.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Yeah I agree, Abjurer/Evoker/Diviner are the top 3 Wizard subclasses for sure. Enchanter and Necromancer are probably solid middle-of-the-pack picks, and everything else is kinda doggie doo-doo.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Lost my first Honor Mode Run deep into Act 3. Real bummer, but when I look back I was cutting it pretty close for most of the last few encounters. I think I can tighten up my character builds and get it on the next go around.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

space uncle posted:

I posted earlier as a Halfling Bard doing a Karlach wife guy run, mostly because I thought it was very funny looking.

She did initially make me laugh by smashing the paladins and saying “oh gently caress” and “you fucker” so I continued the romance.

Then in Act 3 *Karlach romance spoilers ahead* she starts talking about how serious her condition is and how she’s going to die. She talks about spending her precious remaining time with you. You visit her parents gravestones. She’s so genuine and sweet.

My IRL wife (not my fake BG3 Karlach wife) has a deadly chronic illness so all this poo poo hit me like a ton of bricks. They’re playing out the scene with the lovely half orc waiter and I’m tearing up. What the gently caress game. I never asked for this.

Imagine getting emotionally owned by video game writing holy poo poo.

I hope your wife is ok ❤️

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I failed my animal handling roll when it showed up injured. Is it over for me goons?

Yep, as far as I can tell. I failed it too.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I feel like people don't give enchanter enough credit. Adding a target to Hold Person or Hold Monster effectively doubles the juice you get out of a given spell slot for the squeeze.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I have... done it... :negative:

Once I got past the Githyanki Creche and a rather sloppy Ketheric fight, the rest was pretty easy. My team was a 6/6 Sorcadin Tav, pure Fighter Lae'zel, Tavern Brawler Karlach, and Bardstarion. Twin Haste with Aura of Protection sounds like it would be OP, and when it worked it worked, but mostly I just found it to be more trouble than it was worth. If any little thing breaks concentration or you're just dumb enough to do it yourself, that's half your party missing their turn. My smiteadin definitely felt like the weakest link, especially toward the end where several crucial fights have Radiant Retort.

Despite some unwelcome outcomes like Shadowheart just straight up dying, I think Honor Mode is the definitive way to play once you've been through the game at least once. Just having to roll with the Luck of the Dice™ injects a little chaos and uncertainty into how your story is going to play out. I got the special Githyanki Lae'zel Romance ending, and it's cool how the epilogue even accounts for this very unlikely outcome. Oh well. Nothing to do now but roll another character!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Thief 6/Champ 6 is so good. Yes a fighter could dump more pain on one guy probably but you have so much utility and mobility. Most importantly you can use your rogue 6 expertise to become the world's best bullshitter.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I searched some different word combos in this thread and haven't seen it in this thread, so if anyone needed to know:

You can hide your equipped helm or hat during conversations, or always. Look at an equipped helm in inventory, and there is a small icon above it which can be clicked several times for show / hide in dialogue / hide always.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lauresh posted:

It's been genuinely nice to sink my teeth into a game with the depth and love that Larian has put into this one, I do find myself reloading saves to re do interactions to get better outcomes quite a bit which is very reminiscent of old Bioware games.

Still on Act 1 but having a great time.

Agreed, although I might have taken it a little too far, having ended my playthrough with 3k+ saves.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It seems more like a glitch than intended behavior, but apparently Stillness of Mind lets monks no-sell Banishment. I don't know of any enemies that can use the spell (maybe on honor mode?) so the only place it can come up is the gith honor guard at the start of act 3. I'd never tried using Banishment there but it really annoyed my friend!

It's probably considered a charm effect and triggers SoM that way.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Once I got past the Githyanki Creche and a rather sloppy Ketheric fight, the rest was pretty easy. My team was a 6/6 Sorcadin Tav, pure Fighter Lae'zel, Tavern Brawler Karlach, and Bardstarion. Twin Haste with Aura of Protection sounds like it would be OP, and when it worked it worked, but mostly I just found it to be more trouble than it was worth. If any little thing breaks concentration or you're just dumb enough to do it yourself, that's half your party missing their turn. My smiteadin definitely felt like the weakest link, especially toward the end where several crucial fights have Radiant Retort.

Despite some unwelcome outcomes like Shadowheart just straight up dying, I think Honor Mode is the definitive way to play once you've been through the game at least once. Just having to roll with the Luck of the Dice™ injects a little chaos and uncertainty into how your story is going to play out. I got the special Githyanki Lae'zel Romance ending, and it's cool how the epilogue even accounts for this very unlikely outcome. Oh well. Nothing to do now but roll another character!

cool stuff, congrats! someday in the future I hope you write up a set of recommendations and builds (mini-guide?) for other players trying to accomplish this

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Congrats!

I can definitely see the appeal, but playing an ironman mode in such a long game just sounds like not a great time to me I guess, though I know you can just continue if you fail

I think I'd rather just play normally and not reload for my next run :shobon: though I guess it would be nice to get the legendary actions and stuff for fun

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Just learnt a niche interaction to add to the short list of times odd ability scores are relevant, DEX is used as a tiebreaker in initiative rolls. Should be relevant a few times in a playthrough.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

bird with big dick posted:

Yep, as far as I can tell. I failed it too.

Ahhh, nuts.

I'm happy to save scrub if I don't like how a dialogue went or if I did something stupid, but so far I've respected the rolls and intend to keep on this way. Maybe next playthrough

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Trevor Hale posted:

Karlach
Kar-lach
Kaaaaaaaar-lach

She was a thief
You gotta belief
She stole my heart and my cat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILWxB2ziDxE

That movie always hosed with me. He seems like he's very well off and lives in a nice place in San Francisco but his job is performing silly poetry at a coffee shop for like 4 minutes at a time?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

exquisite tea posted:

I'm barely into chapter 1 in my honor mode replay and I like how it gives a sense of stakes that infinite reloads does not. I'm actually intimidated by several of the setpiece battles I'm imching towards, like the Bulette and the Githyanki patrol. Just gonna have to hope if nothing else I can get a guy to run away.

I also had to run away when my paladin weilding the fire sword went swinging at the goblin traders fire wine barrel when I misclicked, temporarily angering everyone in the courtyard. That was a battle I was NOT prepared to see through, but thankfully initiative was just barely in my favor and everyone fled, and the goblins chilled out.

I also learned that I could just have Thief-Astarion approach that trader solo and just use his extra bonus actions to flee if he got caught trying to pickpocket that guy. Got him well enough away to use the flee command in 1 turn, and the trader was no longer hostile on returning. Really added a thematic element to the thief class mechanically that I never experienced when just reloading!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TheMostFrench posted:

I searched some different word combos in this thread and haven't seen it in this thread, so if anyone needed to know:

You can hide your equipped helm or hat during conversations, or always. Look at an equipped helm in inventory, and there is a small icon above it which can be clicked several times for show / hide in dialogue / hide always.

This should be disabled on honor mode.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
So before we start picking apart Moonrise room by room, what's the deal with turning a whole place hostile? At the goblin camp we just isolated groups in rooms and closed doors and that seemed to work fine, until one of those little Bastards got to a drum. We just rolled with it after that but it made the camp a lot more chaotic than it needed to be.

Are there any similar gotcha type alert things going on with moonrise? The eyes are my first thought but I'm not sure how to work around those.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
There's different ways it could happen. If an eye sees and calls for help that'll alert others. If one of the enemies uses a thunder type attack (like thunderous smite) it'll also alert the others.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

pmchem posted:

cool stuff, congrats! someday in the future I hope you write up a set of recommendations and builds (mini-guide?) for other players trying to accomplish this

You flatter me, but my path to the golden dice was incredibly sloppy and filled with hijinks. If people saw how many times I canceled my own Twinned Haste out of carelessness for the hundreds of hours I've played this game, I'd be laughed at.

My #1 advice for anyone attempting a full run of their own would be Don't Try Anything New in Honor Mode. You might want to see how funny it would be to pickpocket Queen Vlaakith or run right to the Githyanki Patrol at Level 3 or slap Kagha right in the face, but each little inflection point in this game can lead to many different outcomes, and if you're not prepared for them, then you can quickly end up in an unwinnable situation that bricks your run. So I would advise against people doing things impulsively or out of their usual order and to just go with what worked the last time they beat the game, at roughly the same pace.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
But I assume the call is a set ability like the drum is right? So it would be more about killing those quickly and isolating targets.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

My #1 advice for anyone attempting a full run of their own would be Don't Try Anything New in Honor Mode. You might want to see how funny it would be to pickpocket Queen Vlaakith or run right to the Githyanki Patrol at Level 3 or slap Kagha right in the face, but each little inflection point in this game can lead to many different outcomes, and if you're not prepared for them, then you can quickly end up in an unwinnable situation that bricks your run. So I would advise against people doing things impulsively or out of their usual order and to just go with what worked the last time they beat the game, at roughly the same pace.

Yeah, I basically was following that rule and still managed to trigger something big that was unexpected because while the specific action I took wasn't new to me (letting ShadowHeart become evil) I hadn't actually done it in combination with saving Last Light. Which led to something quite unexpected and actually somewhat dangerous to me.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
This thread is doing an absolute poo poo job with spoilers

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

The spoiler thread is not cool anymore. Anyways here’s how to unlock Ascended Leonardo, Donatello, and Michelangelo.

Also here’s why 2 levels of champion fighter…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

When I play in a co-op game in the near ish future, is it possible for one player to play tav and I control an origin character?

If I do, how does it handle the character's plot and scenes with Tav? Do they just not happen, or I'm in control of them or something?

Or I guess everyone could see separate scenes as well