Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

VostokProgram posted:

steam accepts both email and username for login. but the username also has to be whatever your original one was I think

My pro Steam account security move: have an older, empty account where the login is the email address. Then you can only log in on the second account tied to the same email with the username, which no one knows because you never use it.

Someone did successfully temporarily steal my old account once, thanks to my email password being compromised. They reset the password to the first account, but they didn't know the second account even existed because it's just not obvious.

Kind of a relevant in this age of 2fa, but it was a fun benefit for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Tiny Timbs posted:

What I would give for Steam to let me change my login name away from an email address at an ISP that’s been defunct for a decade

Haha I created my Steam account like....2 months after the creation of Steam and it's my AOL address that I haven't used since 2004 when I got a gmail account beta code :D

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Shipon posted:

Oh god is that what happened? It's awful.

It's because there were tons of scam accounts going around posting in the comments with display names like "Gamer's Nexxus T̶̨̧̝͉̣̩͈̹̮͙̜͍̯͂̿̿̾̓̋͛̏͑̕ͅe̸̥̖̘̟̝̱͍̯̯̜͒͛̇̀̓͛̐̓̆͆̄̏̈́l̵͈̘̥͖̖͚͕̬̳͊̓̓͜͝e̸̡̼̣̘̗̘̹̱̘̲͍̟̝̺̩̘̝̿̎̑͝ğ̵̳͍͕̗̤̞̞̉̈̓̈́̇͂̏̕͜r̶̛̛̮̩͔̓̂̂͑͐̓̕a̵̞̥̙͎̞̺͇̱̲̦̣͇͓̟͐̅̎̂̏̽̿̈͂̓̿͌̍͘̕͜͝m̴̲͕̑͆̔̐̍̄̓̑͛̋͘͠ 👉 ➕6️⃣7️⃣2️⃣..." With the comment being along the lines of "you won the giveaway, contact us on Telegram to claim your prize!" (If you actually contacted them they would require you to pay a "shipping fee" and then ghost you once you did.) They would also constantly change their display name depending on which channel they were targeting any given day so if you reported them for impersonation they would already have a different name by the time a human got around to reviewing the report so it would no longer be valid and the account wouldn't face any sanctions. GN did a video about this back when their channel was getting targeted hard by these scammers. Apparently this was the best compromise YouTube could come up with to stop that poo poo without having to do any actual human moderation of their platform.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

It's because there were tons of scam accounts going around posting in the comments with display names like "Gamer's Nexxus T̶̨̧̝͉̣̩͈̹̮͙̜͍̯͂̿̿̾̓̋͛̏͑̕ͅe̸̥̖̘̟̝̱͍̯̯̜͒͛̇̀̓͛̐̓̆͆̄̏̈́l̵͈̘̥͖̖͚͕̬̳͊̓̓͜͝e̸̡̼̣̘̗̘̹̱̘̲͍̟̝̺̩̘̝̿̎̑͝ğ̵̳͍͕̗̤̞̞̉̈̓̈́̇͂̏̕͜r̶̛̛̮̩͔̓̂̂͑͐̓̕a̵̞̥̙͎̞̺͇̱̲̦̣͇͓̟͐̅̎̂̏̽̿̈͂̓̿͌̍͘̕͜͝m̴̲͕̑͆̔̐̍̄̓̑͛̋͘͠ 👉 ➕6️⃣7️⃣2️⃣..." With the comment being along the lines of "you won the giveaway, contact us on Telegram to claim your prize!" (If you actually contacted them they would require you to pay a "shipping fee" and then ghost you once you did.) They would also constantly change their display name depending on which channel they were targeting any given day so if you reported them for impersonation they would already have a different name by the time a human got around to reviewing the report so it would no longer be valid and the account wouldn't face any sanctions.
About half the videos I comment on has a reply along these lines in the past few days, it’s still going strong.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

SalTheBard posted:

Haha I created my Steam account like....2 months after the creation of Steam and it's my AOL address that I haven't used since 2004 when I got a gmail account beta code :D

Similar story except it was a few days after Steam launched and a Hotmail account that's primary use was MSN Messenger that was forgotten after a Gmail beta invite as well

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Gamer Jesus making the rounds being a free employee at Micro Center

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt9Pb1sNXBY

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36u782fl0dM

:raise:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I will not be clicking that, :thanks:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's a joke.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i will click on it but keep shaking my head the whole time it's playing so people don't think i agree with being canadian

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

repiv posted:

i will click on it but keep shaking my head the whole time it's playing so people don't think i agree with being canadian

Linus is in no way representative of Canadians

Surrey people, yes.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Three Olives posted:

It's a joke.

dang, a 30 minute joke, it must be great

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

repiv posted:

https://youtu.be/_ns9FOxZTx8?si=WJRf9srMY-exLQSv

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

kirbysuperstar posted:

poo poo, I accidentally did. Now my Youtube feed will be overrun with his content again. :(

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

poo poo, I accidentally did. Now my Youtube feed will be overrun with his content again. :(

skill issue

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Select History from your YT list and click X to remove offending vid. :)

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Just Another Lurker posted:

Select History from your YT list and click X to remove offending vid. :)

:hmmyes:

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

jisforjosh posted:

Similar story except it was a few days after Steam launched and a Hotmail account that's primary use was MSN Messenger that was forgotten after a Gmail beta invite as well

If you're on SA in this day and age and your Steam account isn't old enough to vote, I don't know what to say really.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

repiv posted:

lol

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hellequin posted:

If you're on SA in this day and age and your Steam account isn't old enough to vote, I don't know what to say really.

What if my steam account is older than my SA account?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My steam account is only seven years old but that's because I gave the original one away to my brother after I moved out of the house since it had a bunch of Dota merch he had invested in already.

That one dates back to... I think 2011

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I hit 20 years with my account in October but I think even then it had been out for a few months already before I opened my account. Still remember how weird the colors were for that original release.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SlowBloke posted:

What if my steam account is older than my SA account?

Word.

My steam dates time very begrudgingly getting one when HL2 launched. I only stopped borrowing my buddy’s login to lurk photoshop threads in 06

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

My steam account isn't old enough to vote, but it is old enough to be featured on MTV's Teen Mom.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cyrano4747 posted:

Word.

My steam dates time very begrudgingly getting one when HL2 launched. I only stopped borrowing my buddy’s login to lurk photoshop threads in 06

I think anyone with a steam account from 2004 got it for HL2, no one signed up just to get... God what was even on there other than HL2 at the time? Ragdoll Kung Fu?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Fil5000 posted:

I think anyone with a steam account from 2004 got it for HL2, no one signed up just to get... God what was even on there other than HL2 at the time? Ragdoll Kung Fu?

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines, iirc. And maybe an action Might and Magic game?

I got mine long before that so that I could continue to play Natural Selection and CS. They shut down the WON servers and transitioned to Steam servers long before HL2 came out, iirc.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Steam account; 2009, must have joined after leaving Eve Online. :shrug:

edit: I have a max total of 80 games on it. :lol:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Fil5000 posted:

My account is from 2005, can confirm it was for HL2

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

Kibner posted:

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines, iirc. And maybe an action Might and Magic game?

I got mine long before that so that I could continue to play Natural Selection and CS. They shut down the WON servers and transitioned to Steam servers long before HL2 came out, iirc.

Yeah, people were using Steam pre-HL2 to play Counter-Strike, etc. My account is from 2005 and the first games I registered were that first orange box that no one remembers which contained all of the gold source games (HL1 + expansions, Counter Strike, Team Fortress Classic, Day of Defeat, Richochet, there might have been one more I can't remember). Reaching back into my memories, I recall that Darwinia was an early Steam title, and I know for sure the first non Valve game I bought on steam was Medieval Total War 2, which was 2006?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I made my steam account to claim the orange box by mixing various offers in 2008. Didn't trust the CC page on SA to fill with my main one so lurking until i got a disposable mastercard.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Hellequin posted:

Yeah, people were using Steam pre-HL2 to play Counter-Strike, etc. My account is from 2005 and the first games I registered were that first orange box that no one remembers which contained all of the gold source games (HL1 + expansions, Counter Strike, Team Fortress Classic, Day of Defeat, Richochet, there might have been one more I can't remember). Reaching back into my memories, I recall that Darwinia was an early Steam title, and I know for sure the first non Valve game I bought on steam was Medieval Total War 2, which was 2006?

You sure it was an Orange box? The only one I ever remember was the one from 2007 that included TF2. My Google-fu is only turning up info that it was titled Orange Box because that was the engine codename at the time for those games in 2007, the previous engines being Source 2004 & 2006.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Blurb3947 posted:

You sure it was an Orange box? The only one I ever remember was the one from 2007 that included TF2. My Google-fu is only turning up info that it was titled Orange Box because that was the engine codename at the time for those games in 2007, the previous engines being Source 2004 & 2006.

When steam launched with HL2, you could claim all the goldsrc games by entering an original HL1 cdkey. You could still do it if you want to.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Fil5000 posted:

My Steam account is from September 16, 2003 older than my SA Account, primarily using it for Counter-Strik 1.6 and Day of Defeat 1.3 (retail).

I may be remembering incorrectly but I think the chat client for Steam had Chess or Checkers

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

I may be remembering incorrectly but I think the chat client for Steam had Chess or Checkers

it had both and a few other games, but on the other hand steam chat never loving worked back then

xfire was popular at the time since it was actually reliable

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Fil5000 posted:

Mine is from 2004 but it was because when I went to buy Doom 3 on launch day, I also picked up a cheap copy of HL1 which I hadn't yet played and I signed up for Steam from that. Funny enough, that was the summer of HL1 in my mind and Doom 3 barely registers.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SlowBloke posted:

When steam launched with HL2, you could claim all the goldsrc games by entering an original HL1 cdkey. You could still do it if you want to.

This is the reason I have a steam account today

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

Blurb3947 posted:

I'm using the term loosely, there was a (I think) 6 CD-ROM collection of all the goldsrc games on it, but I can't remember what the collection itself was called officially, the box was indeed orange though with the half-life lambda on it, it must've been 2003 or 2004 that it came out. Iirc the TF2 Orange Box with Portal and HL2:e1 that everyone remembers got its name from everyone calling the first one the "Half Life Orange Box" but it's been almost two decades at this point.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hellequin posted:

I'm using the term loosely, there was a (I think) 6 CD-ROM collection of all the goldsrc games on it, but I can't remember what the collection itself was called officially, the box was indeed orange though with the half-life lambda on it, it must've been 2003 or 2004 that it came out. Iirc the TF2 Orange Box with Portal and HL2:e1 that everyone remembers got its name from everyone calling the first one the "Half Life Orange Box" but it's been almost two decades at this point.

I think you are confusing the Half Life 1 Anthology box with the orange box.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Maybe the HL Platinum Edition collection? Looks like that fits the timeframe & has 4-5 games, not a fully orange box though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
CS 1.6 beta players is what pre October 2003 steam accounts were made for