Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So lots of good info here for me to dig through, thanks. How am I testing? Just feeling right now. I was only half-heartedly checking yesterday, and all the cots they had were hung up vertically. When I get serious about trying to pick something I'll for sure be physically trying them out on the ground.

I'm going to ask a naive question. I tried a helinox cot because they had one on the ground. It felt pretty great. Obviously above my intended budget, but is there any major downside to a cot vs a pad other than having one more thing to put together? Seems like that would be another two season option, and I mean I don't want to gush about it but it really felt great on my side. I just don't know if these are typically either-or or if people use a cot and a pad at the same time or something.

Right now I still think I'm targeting an air pad but the cot has been bouncing around in the back of my head.

As for hammock -- I'm not sure if I want to sleep in one after investing in the tent etc., but sure as hell I'm going to be packing one into any leftover room. I love being lazy in a hammock :swoon:

e: Page snipe moved a bunch of useful information off the last page, whoops. Good pad discussion!

The BA Rapide SL is on boxing day sale for $50 everywhere too. I've been doing my own digging today and kind of kept seeing that one come up so I'm intrigued. Good to hear some feedback from a side sleeper on this one.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Cots are just cumbersome and heavy, usually, and you probably still need something between you and the cot to provide insulation else you get a “bridge ices before road” situation. Could be worth it to you bikepacking though since you don’t have to really worry about lugging 5 more pounds around.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Everything I have so far (I mean, the…. two or three things I have so far) kind of gives me the luxury of ditching the motorcycle and it’s still a pretty kickin’ backpacking setup and I kind of like that, so I’m perfectly happy not seriously considering a cot at this point.

I think I’m going to see if I can test-drive the Rapide SL somewhere. That one has my interest piqued.

E: Ugh, the Rapide SL is the one mat that my local big box outdoor shops don’t seem to stock. Time to see if there are any mom and pop outfitters. Failing that…. A good amazon return policy? :P

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 28, 2023

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Simply train yourself to back sleep at home

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If I get a really fancy portable coffee kit I can just dose enough caffeine to avoid sleeping altogether.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I just picked up a cot to use for car camping (because my tent is really fast to set up / take down but my air mattress was taking way more time) but I can't imagine it being practical for motorcycle camping

admittedly I wasn't looking closely at finding one that was as small/light as possible but anything smaller/lighter than what I bought looked too fiddly to be worth the trouble; as far as I'm concerned the whole appeal of a cot is taking no time to set up and being extremely stable, and a complicated design that folds up more seems like it would defeat the purpose

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 28, 2023

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The Fool posted:

thinking about doing the hammock thing as part of my first foray into bikepacking

assuming I have a full set of backpacking/ camping gear but it's all nearly a decade old is there anything that is a must update/ replace?

or is it reasonable to just swap out the tent for a hammock and see how the test overnight shakes out

For the hammock setup you’ll also need a tarp and more than likely will want an under quilt in lieu of a sleeping pad. You’ll sleep much better having an underquilt under you instead of fighting a pad.

Other things that have noticeably changed in 10 years are headlamps. Way better LED lithium ion options out there now. The rest of the stuff just has better materials behind it, so it’s all lighter tougher and more breathable or water resistant.

I converted a friend who is big into motorcycle camping not exactly apples to apples but he loves it because the shelter breaks down into easily packed chunks as compared to a tent with poles.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have a pretty compact cot and it's good

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm seriously thinking about adding cots to my car camping setup the further north of 40 I get

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My girlfriend got jealous of mine and bought her own

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

some kinda jackal posted:

If I get a really fancy portable coffee kit I can just dose enough caffeine to avoid sleeping altogether.

I've done the whole hike around the clock to avoid bringing camping gear and it is unpleasant. Any longer and it might as well be a marathon trail run

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Cot + tent tall enough to stand up in is the best car camping upgrade.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My ideal is roll the car into a location, whip up some dinner, watch the sunset then crawl into the back of the car to sleep. Then drive off with no tear down in the morning to be the first at a trailhead.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Getting a cot for car camping has been life changing for me.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

withak posted:

Cot + tent tall enough to stand up in is the best car camping upgrade.

Main reason is because I'm getting old and getting up off the ground in the morning is a lot of work.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hooray, I found a local place with the BA pad in stock, going to check it out tonight.

I still really like the idea of a cot for bike camping since essentially I can strap it on top of a big bile of stuff already, but I'm not going to go down that road just yet. It's an easy upgrade down the road if I really get the itch to be off the ground and/or get up easier. I'm in my mid 40s and most mornings I feel 20 years older than that, so I definitely relate to the last post.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

The Fool posted:

assuming I have a full set of backpacking/ camping gear but it's all nearly a decade old is there anything that is a must update/ replace?

or is it reasonable to just swap out the tent for a hammock and see how the test overnight shakes out

I think the sawyer squeeze came out in like 2011 and the katadyn befree after. Before the sawyer squeeze there wasn't any comparable lightweight water filter, so depending on what you were using before, there may be some significant improvements there (plus if your water filter is really old it may not be any good anymore).

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Next year, I plan on doing a little bit of bikepacking. Not a grand tour or anything, just some light camping where I'm not far from resupplying. I have a few places in mind. And, because my wife only tolerates camping in big-rear end tents with electricity and all that fun stuff (which I also like), this is more of a solo adventure. The bike I expect to use is a Giant Escape, which has nice, wide, flat handlebars. I have a rack, a frame bag, a trunk with fold-out paniers--should be enough for what I'm planning, maybe. I also have a backpack.

So, with that in mind, is the Eureka! Solitare AL a decent tent? It says the packed length is 18", and that's about as good as I can find unless I pony up thrice as much money for a bare-bones bikepacking-specific tent from a brand I've never heard of.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

BaseballPCHiker posted:

For the hammock setup you’ll also need a tarp and more than likely will want an under quilt in lieu of a sleeping pad. You’ll sleep much better having an underquilt under you instead of fighting a pad.

Other things that have noticeably changed in 10 years are headlamps. Way better LED lithium ion options out there now. The rest of the stuff just has better materials behind it, so it’s all lighter tougher and more breathable or water resistant.

I converted a friend who is big into motorcycle camping not exactly apples to apples but he loves it because the shelter breaks down into easily packed chunks as compared to a tent with poles.

I actually went with an Amok Draumr (which is a lay flat hammock that requires a pad) because I knew I was going to have to maintain a tent setup for camping with the family, around burn areas, areas without established campsites, and the far north.

Makes it pretty easy to organize when the only difference between my tent and hammock setup is which of those I bring.. oh and how well I sleep. The Draumr is amazing and if "bear brain" doesn't get to me I probably sleep better than in my bed.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tarlibone posted:

Next year, I plan on doing a little bit of bikepacking. Not a grand tour or anything, just some light camping where I'm not far from resupplying. I have a few places in mind. And, because my wife only tolerates camping in big-rear end tents with electricity and all that fun stuff (which I also like), this is more of a solo adventure. The bike I expect to use is a Giant Escape, which has nice, wide, flat handlebars. I have a rack, a frame bag, a trunk with fold-out paniers--should be enough for what I'm planning, maybe. I also have a backpack.

So, with that in mind, is the Eureka! Solitare AL a decent tent? It says the packed length is 18", and that's about as good as I can find unless I pony up thrice as much money for a bare-bones bikepacking-specific tent from a brand I've never heard of.

I can't speak to that specific tent but I have two other Eureka tents that I really like and have held up quite well over the years.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

tarlibone posted:

That tent gave me such bad claustrophobia I started cowboy camping in mosquito season.
If you really wanna try it and you're near me I'll give it to you for free.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The Fool posted:

I can't speak to that specific tent but I have two other Eureka tents that I really like and have held up quite well over the years.

Yeah RIP Eureka, it was a great affordable, durable brand for someone's first backpacking gear. I used the Amari pass 3 for like 8 years. 5 pounds but huge and indestuctable, and big enough to stand up in hunched over.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

IDK if there's a more specific thread for this but there's probably some gear overlap:

Has anyone had any experience making campfire rice with a canister stove? I'm specifically curious about whether you can regulate a typical canister stove (like any of the amazon pocket rocket knockoffs or something to that effect) low enough to the stovetop equivalent of "low heat" without cutting out for making rice. Most of the youtube tutorials either mention just taking the pot off the stove after it comes to a boil (which is unusual territory for me since I usually make rice by keeping the heat on after boil) or reference an alcohol stove with the lid partially closed.

This is oddly specific since I want to make rice for spam musubi in the field (spam musubi seems feels like the perfect camping food, if i can solve the rice thing) so I can't just use minute rice in a bag or something.

So to keep with the gear theme, if there's a SPECIFIC canister stove that does this much better than others I'm all ears. Otherwise it's no big deal to just pack an alcohol stove and a little bottle of liquid for this specific scenario.

As a total aside, the hum ho's of winter setting in and I've started test-packing my saddlebags with all the equipment I have so far and I'm so pleasantly surprised that everything is shaping up to fit into the collective 80L of bags I have mounted around my bike. My tent is yet to arrive but it's the bikepack variant so even if it doesn't fit neatly into one of the bags I'll easily be able to somehow strap it to the molle web on the tailbag or to a seat or something.

And big thanks on the Rapide SL recommendation. Picked one up and, of course, did the living room inflate test. No matter how I tossed and turned I felt off the ground and well supported. Really excited to put this to the test out in the field in spring!

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Personally it sounds unappealing for a number of reasons.

The problem isn’t just heat modulation, which exists but you have to do by sight/sound instead of “low-medium-high” like on your stove at home. Backpacking pots have incredibly thin bottoms that will scorch food quickly. They’re really designed for boiling water, as are the stoves. Real rice would be a nightmare.

The solution for cooking pasta is to boil the water, then remove from heat and insulate in a cozy. It’s a lot easier with pasta though because you’re cooking in excess water. You could experiment at home until you get it right, but wind and temperature on the trail will affect cooking times.

So on top of that you’re also manhandling the food in camp conditions where it’s harder to be sanitary. Once you open the spam you have to eat it all, so make sure you like it that much. Finally, then you’re carrying a smelly spam can around all trip, which you can’t crush or it could pierce your garbage bag.

I would just make it the night/morning before and pack it in for a first day lunch or dinner.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just use minute rice.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yeah, unless you're car camping and can literally bring the kitchen sink with you do all the actual cooking ahead of time so all you're doing on the trail is re-heating it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

This is oddly specific since I want to make rice for spam musubi in the field (spam musubi seems feels like the perfect camping food, if i can solve the rice thing) so I can't just use minute rice in a bag or something.

So to keep with the gear theme, if there's a SPECIFIC canister stove that does this much better than others I'm all ears. Otherwise it's no big deal to just pack an alcohol stove and a little bottle of liquid for this specific scenario.

You might have better luck with a wider pot as opposed to any specific canister stove. A wide deep cook pot and a heat diffuser might do the trick.

Also check out this guy - https://www.youtube.com/@ChefCorso He is BY FAR the best backpacking cook I've come across yet. His meals are actually meant for backpacking and he does a ton with canister stoves. I have all of his books and can vouch for the meals being realistic backpacking meals and quite good.

mystes
May 31, 2006

rather than trying to make spam musubi while backpacking I would suggest making onigiri or onigirazu with spam in them at home and bring them. you might need to use an ice pack or something but it should still be more convenient than trying to cook rice for sushi

withak posted:

Just use minute rice.
I don't think this would work because parboiled rice won't stick to itself enough

edit:
vvv yeah exactly

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 29, 2023

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Isn't that kinda the whole point of onigiri/onigirazu (and musubi)? To be a pre-made snack that is easily portable?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
If you want to get gourmet with rice /risotto you'll want to bring a real pot, or get campware like the Primus Campfire set which is intended for use on higher heats/over a fire and distribute heat evenly.

Even better would be to dehydrate the rice at home.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

This reminds me I forgot to post pictures of my luxurious car camping trip with my new hot tent and stove:

Ellis Shackelton Tent

A palace for two even with the stove in. Will be awesome for base camping with my wife and kids.

Four Dog Titanium stove. I've wanted one for years, and can now say easily that its the best wood burning camping stove I've ever used. Well worth the money and is something my kids can fight over.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Math You posted:

Even better would be to dehydrate the rice at home.
I still don't think that will work for sushi, even if you use sushi rice, because of how parboiling changes rice

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This reminds me I forgot to post pictures of my luxurious car camping trip with my new hot tent and stove:

Ellis Shackelton Tent

A palace for two even with the stove in. Will be awesome for base camping with my wife and kids.

Four Dog Titanium stove. I've wanted one for years, and can now say easily that its the best wood burning camping stove I've ever used. Well worth the money and is something my kids can fight over.
goddamn that's ridiculous and I'm jealous

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Someone made a rice thread in ask/tell, maybe they would know if there exists such a rice for trail sushi

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
What did everyone here get for Christmas?

When I used to do a lot more cycling, I used to get tons of crap quality bike gear that I specifically told people NOT to get for me.

Now that I am doing more backpacking, people have decided to but me tons of crap quality backpacking gear that I specifically told people NOT to get for me.

So this year I got a useless first aid kit in a tin, a totally poo poo quality camp lantern, a 20 pack of huge rear end carabiners, and a 5 pack of "hiking trail sock". Cotton. And some stupid t-shirts with dumb slogans about hiking on them.

I am such an ingrate.

But someone did save the day and bought me a Zpacks carbon hiking staff. Now I can look like a high tech Moses or Gandalf and safely push snakes off the trail.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I stopped celebrating Christmas several years ago but before that, I used to redirect people's gift energy into charities - "the best hiking/biking related gift you can give me is a donation to the local trails organization, local bike advocates, nature/eco NGOs, etc."

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Lol, I eventually learned not to buy people hobby stuff because it'll almost always fall into thought-that-counts territory.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The one exception was my mom asked a person at REI "what would you get a backpacker who has the essentials covered" and they suggested a solar lantern, and they were fuckin right, it owns

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'm not sure if it's a generational thing or what but I always feel like Christmas is a holiday surrounded by junk. As a kid, there was always a random shirt box full of stuff that I got for Christmas that would just exist for weeks because it was something I would ever use. The older I get, the less junk I wanted around me.

Don't give me the funny PEZ dispenser because I'm going to feel bad throwing it away. I'll never use a money clip, but thanks anyway. Oh this huge fuckoff George costanza wallet, thanks? The hat brim flashlight that takes button cell batteries? I've got a half dozen great headlamps so it will probably sit in a tool box and the batteries will go bad. The box of hand warmers? I think I still have a box that's like 10 years old I got for Christmas one year. People's perception of what you need for camping is way off when they don't do it themselves. Hobby stuff is just so niche. I got these weird carabiners one year for holding lines taught. They're big, heavy, and have a cam to grab a line. I just use a truckers hitch with better success and less weight.

I know it's all in the spirit of gifting, and I hate to ever sound ungrateful, but I hate receiving junk just for the sake of it especially knowing people spent money on it. I would rather them save their money vs feeling compelled to get a gift. I'm very particular on the things I want and I know that. When you backpack, every piece of gear down to your socks and undies are specifically chosen for a reason and it's unique to each person. Nobody outside of that hobby can ever know what to get you unless you give them specific links to things. I feel bad when people spend their money on things that won't get used. It's just a waste.

Gift cards are honestly the best gift for any hobby specific gift. Yeah it's not as fun but it's infinitely more practical and less likely to go to waste.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

Lol, I eventually learned not to buy people hobby stuff because it'll almost always fall into thought-that-counts territory.
yeah people tend to be extra picky about hobby stuff, although I guess at least you are showing that you know that they are interested in that hobby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

Verman posted:

I got these weird carabiners one year for holding lines taught. They're big, heavy, and have a cam to grab a line. I just use a truckers hitch with better success and less weight.

Agreed with the sentiment - don't buy someone who's an expert in something a gift for that interest. They've probably thought about it for hours more than you will as a gift-giver.

Also, learn the taught-line hitch, it's nearly as good and requires far less material.