Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
idk i appreciate that the imperium follows irken logic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
making the fires better

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
there’s a significant amount of AdMech industry devoted entirely to making new furniture for all these loving giants running around

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Shoehead posted:

I could honestly do with a few more Ironkin heads per box. One is not enough

https://www.taromodelmaker.com/collections/votan-a-i-heads

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
With how the Emperor's glamour works he literally has plot height. He will be as tall as he needs to at any point in time.

Suspect that the most accurate assessment of his physical appearance comes from the Sisters of Silence who see a withered old man so he'll fit through all the doors no prob despite him appearing 4m tall.

Everyone looking at him walk through a standard 2m door probably just see something out of an 80s cartoon with their "flexible" proportions.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

One extremely major and significant thing is that you simply don’t have nearly as many pose options or the ability to kitbash interesting looking characters from multiple kits without much more effort. It doesn’t matter if there’s technically a way to build each option in the codex - that’s just one of many reasons to convert a model, and modeling is a major part of the hobby. It’s a lot more difficult than it used to be.

I’m not saying that the new sculpting and sprueing process is worse than the old one, but it is what it is. It has downsides.

I think this also has to do with the minis already having dynamic poses and lacking the touch of hand the older sculpts had, so kitbashing new minis you have to be a lot more sensible and precise, otherwise it sticks out a lot worse

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Z the IVth posted:

I remember how easy it was back in the day to kitbash 10 different marines in the same power squat pose. It was "easy" to kitbash but the variety is the same sort of variety you get with lego figures. Everyone looks the same except for the accessories they're holding.

Give me a set of assault intercessor bodies to kitbash over that any time.
100% agree with this. Sure you could do real easy conversions with the old models, but aside from the WYSIWIG wargear swaps the simplest of those changes made very little difference in practice and were often unlikely to be noticed. You still had to put some work in for conversions to stand out. Modern kits have really just filtered out the low effort bits-swap changes, while still allowing you to do cool things with a bit of thought & patience.

Around a decade ago most of my conversion work was to unlock specific wargear options that weren't included in a kit, or to fit an army theme. These days because units no longer come with 37 potential wargear options my conversions are almost entirely cosmetic & optional. I can still do them, but no longer feel 'pushed' into converting because unit X came with one combi-plasma gun instead of the four it could take. Now if I wanted to run (for example) Dark Angels or Salamanders, there are several unit options that come with enough plasma guns or flamers to fit a consistent theme and don't 'have' to be converted. It's much more approachable for new players.

Cease to Hope posted:

I do say that the only thing stopping you is the lack of a craft saw or cowardice, but I still have to disagree. The move from powersquat marines to the CAD sliced poses doesn't make it harder to make simple changes to poses, it just gives you less reason to want to do so, since more-dynamic posing isn't as boring. When you want to get out the craft saw, the new plastics are plastic, and thus much easier to saw and repose, and have much more interesting parts to work with because of that greater variety.

There may be some really nice chaos marine or boring marine kit I missed out on, but I'm mainly comparing 3e plastics and midhammer metals to modern primaris and CSM, and there really is no comparison.
I think this is true most of the time, but I will say that the one downside of modern kits is that some are very vulnerable to obviously repeated poses. It doesn't matter so much for the standard troop models where people won't notice the same pair of legs across two groups of five/ten models, but some of the more elite units have an issue. Eightbound in particular are very repetitive; despite building two unit types the main official difference between them is a single arm and face swap. That gave me a lot of scope for conversions:

• 10 CSM possessed converted into regular Eightbound using official WE bits, plus extra chains & skulls
  • 3 Exalted Eightbound built following the official kit instructions
  • 6 Exalted Eightbound built without most of their armour, plus extra chains / arms / shoulder pads to try & break up the identical poses

This makes it much easier to tell the units apart on a tabletop.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don’t care what GW says, my headcanon is that the tallest space marine/custodes tops out at like 250cm. Robert Wadlow built like a power lifter, wearing a tank, is plenty huge without looking too stupid. The primarchs/emo can be like a head taller at most.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/12/29/warhammer-miniature-of-the-year-2023-brother-vs-brother/?utm_content=minioftheyearresults

The results are in, and the top two are about as expected.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Good thing people in 40k apparently don’t build their hatches and passageways normal people sized or else all these big boys would be pretty owned. Like Blood master Grognark, terminator clad chaos warlord 8ft tall 6 ft wide Lookin pretty foolish when he boards a ship and doesn’t fit in a single hallway.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That's why terminators teleport everywhere.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Mr Teatime posted:

Good thing people in 40k apparently don’t build their hatches and passageways normal people sized or else all these big boys would be pretty owned. Like Blood master Grognark, terminator clad chaos warlord 8ft tall 6 ft wide Lookin pretty foolish when he boards a ship and doesn’t fit in a single hallway.

Naww they just squat down and duckwalk through the whole ship

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Why did you think that firstborn squat like that? It’s from decades or squishing down in doors and corridors. Primaris are just too young to show the effect.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

What do you think chainfists are for

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Tbf they’re probably either walking through purpose-built colossal architecture at peace or just kool-aid manning through everywhere at war.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The Lion is a pretty decent model, but I am surprised it won model of the year. There were a ton of much more interesting and unique models available.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

xtothez posted:

I think this is true most of the time, but I will say that the one downside of modern kits is that some are very vulnerable to obviously repeated poses. It doesn't matter so much for the standard troop models where people won't notice the same pair of legs across two groups of five/ten models, but some of the more elite units have an issue.

True, but when it does come time to deploy the courage and craft saw, you still benefit from the natural cut points above and below the pauldrons, even with the more-complex poses.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The Lion is a pretty decent model, but I am surprised it won model of the year. There were a ton of much more interesting and unique models available.

True, but people love boring marines even if they're boring. It's also the closest thing to an interesting 30K release this year besides that Fulgrim boondoggle.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The Lion may not be super flashy like a model like Angron or the Norn Emissary is but I think there is something to be said for a simple concept (space knight with big sword and shield) being executed extremely well.

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 29, 2023

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

He's also got Watchers and is essentially a 75mm diorama depicting what 40k is. (Space knights and weird little guys)

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I figured it'd come down to Angron or the Lion this time around. I was honestly surprised to see Farsight rank third. It's not really in the same category as the other two. I assumed the new AoS manticore rider would be up there.

I personally voted for the Lion because of how good the face sculpt was. Yeah, the sword is boring and I personally don't like the backpack, but the model is genuinely excellent with a lot of subtle details. Plus, I'm a Dark Angels player so I'm biased as hell.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Safety Factor posted:

I figured it'd come down to Angron or the Lion this time around. I was honestly surprised to see Farsight rank third. It's not really in the same category as the other two. I assumed the new AoS manticore rider would be up there.

I personally voted for the Lion because of how good the face sculpt was. Yeah, the sword is boring and I personally don't like the backpack, but the model is genuinely excellent with a lot of subtle details. Plus, I'm a Dark Angels player so I'm biased as hell.

Was it ever explained why Farsight has the DA tetragrammaton on his armor? I didn't read any of the books surrounding all the campaigns/releases around that time.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Tbf they’re probably either walking through purpose-built colossal architecture at peace or just kool-aid manning through everywhere at war.

I mean everything in the Imperium is built like a cathedral, huge vaulted ceilings, massive double doors. It probably makes sense if you're 10 feet tall.

Back to the original point, it's not just Space Marines that are size=power in the imperium, everything is like that, spaceships, tanks, walkers etc. Like in reality there's a point where size becomes unmanageable/impossible but this is a fictional setting so MAKE IT MOAR BIGGAR.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I don’t think mini of the year should always just be the Biggest Guy, or Biggest And Most Story Relevant Guy (or lady). Pontifex Zenestra and the Fusil-Major are both more interesting Cities models than Tahlia, and Farsight is a much better sculpt than Angron. I do like the Lion sculpt a lot, so that one might be fair.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Mini of the Year is heavily skewed by 90% of people voting for their factions big daddy, rather than any sort of technical or esthetic merit.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Two Beans posted:

Was it ever explained why Farsight has the DA tetragrammaton on his armor? I didn't read any of the books surrounding all the campaigns/releases around that time.

Hexagrammatic wards are the Tau's only real defense against demons, and they have no idea how or why they work, they just started slapping them on stuff.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ashcans posted:

Mini of the Year is heavily skewed by 90% of people voting for their factions big daddy, rather than any sort of technical or esthetic merit.

This is correct.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Is the correct way to post images here still to upload them somewhere else (I used Imgur) and embed a timg link? I am a luddite and am on my phone.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

That's how I do it at least

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
lion rear end johnson

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Genghis Cohen posted:

Is the correct way to post images here still to upload them somewhere else (I used Imgur) and embed a timg link? I am a luddite and am on my phone.

There is another way? :confused:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Genghis Cohen posted:

platinum lets you embed images iirc

i don't remember how it works since being punished for QCS crimes

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Shoehead posted:

I could honestly do with a few more Ironkin heads per box. One is not enough

If I ever build a Votann force I'm gonna have to make so many Ironkin heads

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cease to Hope posted:

platinum lets you embed images iirc

i don't remember how it works since being punished for QCS crimes

Attachment file size limits are so small it can’t handle a photo from a modern phone camera

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh yeah, I forgot about attachments. I see them so rarely anyway, probably because of that.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Improbable Lobster posted:

If I ever build a Votann force I'm gonna have to make so many Ironkin heads

Apparently people use 6mm plastic BBs or metal ball bearings. Obviously doesn't look the same of course.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

there was a big deal about imgur deleting older files but a goon based alternative never arrived so :shrug:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I use imgbb, which is like imgur but doesn't suck.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I've a fully assembled Inquisitorial team that I won't paint until I nail fleshtones and I keep adding weirdos to it. This guy is gonna need a lot of work to get his space helmet to fit the AOS Marshal's helmet holding arm properly..I feel like I had it in play for a second and then the greenstuff shifted a bit and it looks crazy

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I know the feeling, made one somewhat by random earlier with some spare Cadian parts and Enforcer revolver hands that I ended up kind of liking. Going to paint up the body tomorrow.

Was going to use Guard pauldrons to cover up the awkward shoulders, only to discover they weren't big enough for the job so I'm just going to let it be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Eej posted:

Apparently people use 6mm plastic BBs or metal ball bearings. Obviously doesn't look the same of course.

You can also make them out of green stuff