Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

I think people are unlikely to side with Israel for "anti imperialist" reasons like some people do with Russia because Israel is best mates with all of the shithead western imperialist powers, so there's no contrarian position to take there. The neo nazis probably aren't going to bat for them because they're antisemitic, and I don't think there is much for otherwise unaligned people to attach to either. So you're left with a particular strain of interventionist liberal/neocon who occupy a disproportionate amount of the government but which I don't think exist much outside it.

Honestly, a fair amount of neonazis are quite comfortable with Israel. After all, it's an ethnostate who openly campaigns for the diaspora to move there, moving "them" from "here" to "over there", which vibes well with their aims. Plus added bonus of murdering lots of Arabs, who the contemporary far right hate more than Jews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Honestly, a fair amount of neonazis are quite comfortable with Israel. After all, it's an ethnostate who openly campaigns for the diaspora to move there, moving "them" from "here" to "over there", which vibes well with their aims. Plus added bonus of murdering lots of Arabs, who the contemporary far right hate more than Jews.

Some of them are yeah but I still think it's likely to be less uniform than support for Russia.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Some of them are yeah but I still think it's likely to be less uniform than support for Russia.

I dunno about that, plenty of fascists supporting Ukraine too. Far right ultranationalists really have their pick in that conflict, cunts all over the shop.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i dont think theres enough actual fascists to cover all the fascists you seem to need to support all these different conspiracy theories.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i dont think theres enough actual fascists to cover all the fascists you seem to need to support all these different conspiracy theories.

Have you done a census or something

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How many fascists do you think there are in the UK? In 2010 the BNP managed over 10,000 members, and that's dues paying members, not just voters. In that year's general election they got a nationwide vote of 563,743. Which is a pretty big number even if I'd not argue everyone who voted for them was a fascist so much as pig-ignorant

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

That would seem to be just basically all the misguided parents of everyone in the thread that posts about how their parents need reeducation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's what most fascists are. Just people who think things would be better if their lovely prejudices were upheld by the government.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

NotJustANumber99 posted:

That would seem to be just basically all the misguided parents of everyone in the thread that posts about how their parents need reeducation.

How many parents do you think a couple of dozen regular posters each have?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

so fascists are just vaguely ok people with the wrong end of the stick that we should talk out of their silly ideas?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

so fascists are just vaguely ok people with the wrong end of the stick that we should talk out of their silly ideas?

Fascists for the most part are people who are not OK in unremarkable and common ways, who when presented with the right kind of institutional support, will happily turn in their neighbours to the gestapo because they always knew they were the wrong sort, or they'd quite like to take over their business, or for any number of petty little reasons.

The only thing that stops them from from doing that now is they don't have a government offering them it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

forkboy84 posted:

How many fascists do you think there are in the UK? In 2010 the BNP managed over 10,000 members, and that's dues paying members, not just voters. In that year's general election they got a nationwide vote of 563,743. Which is a pretty big number even if I'd not argue everyone who voted for them was a fascist so much as pig-ignorant

I think it’s safe to say that anyone who voted for the BNP, whatever their stated reasoning, is definitely a fascist.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

kingturnip posted:

Basically every street around where I work has a Palestinian flag fluttering in the breeze waving madly in the gales and it's nice to see as a person who believes the 'war' is just an excuse for genocide, but I don't think you'd have to be a Netanyahu-apologist to find it a little intimidating if you're Israeli or Jewish.

As someone who is both, the only reason you'd find it intimidating is the belief that if Palestine would be free, they'd do to Israel what Israel is currently doing to them, and subsequently that once there is no Israel every other country on earth is going to immediately go mask off and put up Auschwitz 2.

I can't really argue with being afraid of that 2nd part given the massive rightward shift of global politics recently, and I suspect that most Jews arrive at these fears via propaganda anyway, but the first bit is really inexcusable either way.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gonzo McFee posted:

"The Jews are a creative people" is something undermined by the whole of Israel producing absolutely nothing of any artistic value in it's existence but Quake maps to claim are under hospitals.

Errr

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Struggling children are ‘products of crap parents’, Tory MP claims

quote:

A Conservative MP has sparked outrage after saying children who struggle are the “products of crap parents”.

The Tory MP for Bury North James Daly was accused of “insulting” parents after the controversial remarks about families in his northern constituency.

Mr Daly stressed the importance of “stability” offered by the family unit as he outlined what the New Conservatives – a right-wing group of backbenchers – stands for.

“I think New Conservatives represent very much working-class conservatism,” the red wall MP told the i.

“We’re not a strange right-wing sect. It’s just people who want to give people the best chance to succeed and thrive in life. When you think about the family, it’s about stability.”

The Tory MP said: “Most of the kids who struggle in Bury are the products of crap parents, and so what do we do to try to address that issue?”

“On the left it would just be we’ll throw money at this and hope something sticks, somebody like me thinks about this more fundamentally,” he added.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I wonder what he means by stability as contrasted with "left" financial stability. Maybe someone from Serco comes round your house with a spirit level

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Wachter posted:

I wonder what he means by stability as contrasted with "left" financial stability. Maybe someone from Serco comes round your house with a spirit level

The "stability" of a vigorously enforced heteronormative nuclear family with strong traditional gender roles.

As opposed to the "stability" of dependable and accessible public services, good housing provision with strong tenancy rights, free education at all levels, good job security, a functional welfare system, communities not dependant on the whims and interests of a handful of large multinationals and so on.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

My "not a strange right-wing sect" T-shirt etc...

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Make your mind up mate, do us lefties just want to throw good money after bad in a feckless orgy of spending, or are we dangerous radicals trying to undermine or overthrow the basis of society?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

BalloonFish posted:

The "stability" of a vigorously enforced heteronormative nuclear family with strong traditional gender roles.

As opposed to the "stability" of dependable and accessible public services, good housing provision with strong tenancy rights, free education at all levels, good job security, a functional welfare system, communities not dependant on the whims and interests of a handful of large multinationals and so on.

Yeah, mum stays home and looks after the kids and the house while dad works a job that pays enough to support them. If they're not doing that it's because they're lazy and crap and why should the government support them in that? Work harder! Bootstraps, people!

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Runcible Cat posted:

Yeah, mum stays home and looks after the kids and the house while dad works a job that pays enough to support them. If they're not doing that it's because they're lazy and crap and why should the government support them in that? Work harder! Bootstraps, people!

It also means that capitalism can enjoy all the instability that it thrives on - innovation, disruption, automation, interchangeable human labour, population movement and so on - while throwing all the responsibility to deal with the negative sides onto the family unit. It's not society's job to provide stability, and it's certainly not the government's. That's the role (indeed, in this view, the purpose) of the Family. So what if Dad's lost his job with immediate effect because he was too ill to go in one day? Buck up and Be Stable For The Kids.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

But doing literally anything will cost money - even if it's nasty poo poo like enforcement action against these so-called 'crap parents' or taking kids into care. Usual nonsense from a standard right wing oval office.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

Make your mind up mate, do us lefties just want to throw good money after bad in a feckless orgy of spending, or are we dangerous radicals trying to undermine or overthrow the basis of society?

Obviously these are the same thing. People, kids included, need to learn Values, Morals and the Joy From a Job Well Done, No Matter What. We can't have people lounging about at home (unless they're heirs to stupid fortunes), they should be out there picking up twigs so they can build a local schoolhouse, for their local kids, in their local community. Etc.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bury is THE most marginal seat in all of England, he only won it with 105 votes.
So he knows hes not going to win it again, so doesn't give a poo poo.
He's trying to get the next pay day, be it a few appearances on GBeebies or dinner speeches to gammons.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

We recognise that the increasing number of crap kids is a problem. We've also confidently identified that the cause is crap parents. But if we do anything to fix it, it'll be woke

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Important to note that his faction “New Conservatives” has been setup by two swivel eyed extremist fundamentalist Christian whackjobs who want a full on Handmaids Tale version of Toryism.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

Important to note that his faction “New Conservatives” has been setup by two swivel eyed extremist fundamentalist Christian whackjobs who want a full on Handmaids Tale version of Toryism.
Hmm we banned contraception and abortion and sex ed and forced everyone to be straight, now if only we could figure out where all these kids keep coming from. :iiam:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Ah yes, two small boxes of chocolates from a conservative MP who voted against *checks notes* trade unions, higher taxes on banks and corporations, equality and human rights, making tax avoidance harder, better public service and civil service pay and retirement rights, the right to remain for EU spouses and literally everything else most frontline care workers believe in.

That'll loving fix it.
Jesus.

It's so low effort and poo poo it's just...is it designed to drive engagement / rage bait? What the hell.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 29, 2023

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The local food bank must have told her to gently caress off.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

They’re absolutely regifts

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Nice to see even tho she has only mention replies on she's still getting bodied in the comments.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

It gives the impression that she just posed with the same two boxes of chocolates each time rather than actually giving them out.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
https://www.costco.co.uk/Grocery-Household/Grocery-Delivery/Lindt-Lindor-Milk-Chocolate-and-Assorted-Chocolate-Truffles-4-x-200g/p/115327A

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

You've all got it wrong. She left the chocolates in the street so the peasantry can fight over them.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Bobby Deluxe posted:

You've all got it wrong. She scattered the chocolates in the street so the peasantry can fight over them.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Mebh posted:

Ah yes, two small boxes of chocolates from a conservative MP who voted against *checks notes* trade unions, higher taxes on banks and corporations, equality and human rights, making tax avoidance harder, better public service and civil service pay and retirement rights, the right to remain for EU spouses and literally everything else most frontline care workers believe in.

That'll loving fix it.
Jesus.

It's so low effort and poo poo it's just...is it designed to drive engagement / rage bait? What the hell.

and she'll have put them on the expenses claim, op

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Bobby Deluxe posted:

You've all got it wrong. She left the chocolates in the street so the peasantry can fight over them.

:wrong:

She took them home and ate the chocolates herself

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

OwlFancier posted:

Fascists for the most part are people who are not OK in unremarkable and common ways, who when presented with the right kind of institutional support, will happily turn in their neighbours to the gestapo because they always knew they were the wrong sort, or they'd quite like to take over their business, or for any number of petty little reasons.

The only thing that stops them from from doing that now is they don't have a government offering them it.

See: Paddington (2014)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Bobby Deluxe posted:

A Tory...giving something to the poor? Are you sure about that?