Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Shipon posted:

This seems like a chicken and egg situation to me - to get the car I need the loan but in order to get the loan I'd need to have a purchase order and insurance on a car I don't own yet. Is there something I'm missing or is this something dealers know how to handle fine?
All but the most antagonistic dealers take care of this part for you. You very rarely bring in the check yourself. Instead you bring in your loan approval and correspondence and depending on local laws an insurance quote/guarantee or the insurance itself.

Considering this is on order you should prearrange this a couple weeks ahead of delivery - some dealers hate certain banks and want the check or since we are in hell-era of car shopping they might try to force you into the house preference at the stupid rate by making it awkward. If they don't want to file the paperwork you're gonna be gophering paperwork to and fro on the day of delivery so you'll want to know if that's the case before you have a car that should be yours burning a hole in a dealer parking spot while they sell it out from under you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
A rental Jeep takes the most abuse because people seek those out to go off-roading. If it says Jeep on it, it probably went through a creek somewhere at least once.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Nitrox posted:

A rental Peugeot 307 takes the most abuse because people seek those out to go off-roading. If it says Peugeot 307 on it, it probably went through a creek somewhere at least once.

corrected for me and a very good holiday on mallorca

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

What are the resources for checking out car safety ratings?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What are the resources for checking out car safety ratings?

iihs.org and nhtsa.gov/ratings

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Guinness posted:

iihs.org and nhtsa.gov/ratings

Thank you, comrade

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

What are good hatchbacks or CUVs with decent headroom?

Main advice that comes from Reddit is 1) “avoid moon/sun roofs” and 2) recommendations for vehicles which are medium suv or larger.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Main advice that comes from Reddit is 1) “avoid moon/sun roofs” and 2) recommendations for vehicles which are medium suv or larger.
You can't internet shop size or shape constraints. Make a list of cars on your other requirements then go sit in them.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

zedprime posted:

You can't internet shop size or shape constraints. Make a list of cars on your other requirements then go sit in them.

I have done some sitting already and I will go on sitting in cars. Thank you.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

I am 6'3 and I've found my cx-30 pretty comfortable in that regard, which means that the mazda 3 hatchback will be similar.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I hate dealers who list inventory that is currently in the “build phase”. This is super dumb.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

joepinetree posted:

I am 6'3 and I've found my cx-30 pretty comfortable in that regard, which means that the mazda 3 hatchback will be similar.

There’s really no guarantee on this. You’d think so, but it’s not universally true that platform mates have similar interior room in various dimensions. Gotta sit in it.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I’m slowly coming around to idea that I’m going end up with an odyssey simply because the inventory of Siennas is terrible. Slightly used Siennas are basically just new Siennas without a 6 month wait and they are pricey like it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Calidus posted:

I hate dealers who list inventory that is currently in the “build phase”. This is super dumb.

How else are you supposed to get the chance to offer over sticker for a minivan coming in 2 months?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

My younger self would find it funny that my first vtect engine is in a minivan

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

I've done the final repair on my current car (a used 2009 Volvo XC70) so it's time to think about what the next one will be

Proposed Budget: 20k-30k
New or Used: I've only ever bought used, but now that I have some cash saved up I wouldn't be against new.
Body Style: my partner has an SUV already for the family, I would prefer a sedan. However: I am 6'6" tall and have struggled to fit into some of the smaller styles. For example, I didn't fit into my father's Prius years ago.
How will you be using the car?: My daily commute is about 20 miles on the interstate with variable traffic, sometimes bumper to bumper. A few times a year we visit family in Upstate NY (roughly five hours away) or my hermit father via car ferry
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?
What aspects are most important to you?: I want a car with enough room to fit me comfortably for my commute and good MPG - hybrids would be great. Some of the newer things I don't have in my old model - backup camera, Android Auto connectivity, etc.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Jon Irenicus posted:

I've done the final repair on my current car (a used 2009 Volvo XC70) so it's time to think about what the next one will be

Proposed Budget: 20k-30k
New or Used: I've only ever bought used, but now that I have some cash saved up I wouldn't be against new.
Body Style: my partner has an SUV already for the family, I would prefer a sedan. However: I am 6'6" tall and have struggled to fit into some of the smaller styles. For example, I didn't fit into my father's Prius years ago.
How will you be using the car?: My daily commute is about 20 miles on the interstate with variable traffic, sometimes bumper to bumper. A few times a year we visit family in Upstate NY (roughly five hours away) or my hermit father via car ferry
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?
What aspects are most important to you?: I want a car with enough room to fit me comfortably for my commute and good MPG - hybrids would be great. Some of the newer things I don't have in my old model - backup camera, Android Auto connectivity, etc.

2020 Lincoln MKZ 3.0 AWD. 400 hp, 400 ftlb, AWD system out of a focus RS. Just change the torque converter fluid ever 30k miles. They’re incredibly cheap, you should be able to find one cheap near you with under 50k miles. They’ve got all the modern poo poo, like adaptive cruise, plus Sync3 is bulletproof, and beyond that it’s very new. Do regular maintenance, including the torque converter, and enjoy your perfect car

e: upon closer review you actually want a fusion hybrid. Sorry, thought you wanted a fun focused, not economy focused car.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 29, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

2020 Lincoln MKZ 3.0 AWD. 400 hp, 400 ftlb, AWD system out of a focus RS.

Wait what? This exists? Why did nobody tell me.

I don't have a need for one, but that's super cool.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I have never done serious used car shopping before, mostly because I have purchased niche vehicles (sports car and wagon). Looking at odysseys ~35k miles and a 3 to 4 model years older is $8-10k cheaper than buying a new one. I am viewing this as I am trading 8-10k for most of warranty being gone plus some service work being due soon but it’s Honda with a v6 and 10 speed auto this thing should be solid unless it’s a flood car or someone towed something they shouldn’t have.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Calidus posted:

I have never done serious used car shopping before, mostly because I have purchased niche vehicles (sports car and wagon). Looking at odysseys ~35k miles and a 3 to 4 model years older is $8-10k cheaper than buying a new one. I am viewing this as I am trading 8-10k for most of warranty being gone plus some service work being due soon but it’s Honda with a v6 and 10 speed auto this thing should be solid unless it’s a flood car or someone towed something they shouldn’t have.

We're in a weird spot in the car market and if I were looking for what you're looking for there is simply no way I'd accept an $8k discount for something that much older that probably had a hard life on the interior, who knows what service it got (that's still in an age range where "none" is possible and it's still driving) and is now out of warranty coverage. Especially for family hauler duties.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

KillHour posted:

Wait what? This exists? Why did nobody tell me.

I don't have a need for one, but that's super cool.

I found it funny Ford was willing to do this but neutered the SHO to 365HP. Nothing that a tune doesn’t fix but still.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Motronic posted:

We're in a weird spot in the car market and if I were looking for what you're looking for there is simply no way I'd accept an $8k discount for something that much older that probably had a hard life on the interior, who knows what service it got (that's still in an age range where "none" is possible and it's still driving) and is now out of warranty coverage. Especially for family hauler duties.

Idk what’s up but yeah a lot of used vehicles I’m finding are only like a handful of thousands cheaper than new cars and idgi

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Idk what’s up but yeah a lot of used vehicles I’m finding are only like a handful of thousands cheaper than new cars and idgi
You can drive away the used car today while the new car is often 3-6-???months away.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Oh poo poo, we've hit the point where used cars are cheaper than new cars again? Nature is healing!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Loan Dusty Road posted:

I found it funny Ford was willing to do this but neutered the SHO to 365HP. Nothing that a tune doesn’t fix but still.

Lincoln is still trying (and failing) to find a reason to exist, and this was one of those futile attempts. They didn’t realize their primary market segment is 70+ retirees, but it works out in my favor, because those $70k cars are now under $25k with super low mileage.

Keep in mind they are heavy as poo poo, but everything is nowadays, so who cares. In the end I can get a supremely equipped Grand Tourer for the cost of a Mirage

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Lincoln is still trying (and failing) to find a reason to exist

I can never forget this was a thing nor understand how it wasn't the end of the brand:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Motronic posted:

I can never forget this was a thing nor understand how it wasn't the end of the brand:

Now that thing looks downright reasonable compared to the dumb poo poo luxo-trucks on the road nowadays. It was gaudy as a hell in its time and now it hardly raises an eyebrow.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Motronic posted:

I drove one of those, and while it was cool, it sure was Just An F150

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Guinness posted:

Now that thing looks downright reasonable compared to the dumb poo poo luxo-trucks on the road nowadays. It was gaudy as a hell in its time and now it hardly raises an eyebrow.

Sad but true.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Motronic posted:

Thanks I had some similar feelings, if the discount was in the 10-15k range it would be more appealing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Nitrox posted:

A rental Jeep takes the most abuse because people seek those out to go off-roading. If it says Jeep on it, it probably went through a creek somewhere at least once.

Also a one-way rental is a chance for the rental place to get rid of junk.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The thing had like 3,500 miles on it and shouldn't be completely worn out yet, and also had street tires - so I doubt anyone actually could get very far off a highway in it or more likely they did multiple off road courses/jumps and then somehow also destroyed the accelerator pedal, brakes, and transmission along with the entire suspension

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Don’t buy a gladiator. They’re awful.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

davecrazy posted:

Don’t buy a gladiator. They’re awful.

Someone has one parked in front of work and I just laughed and shouted "Why?!" when I pulled up this morning. Jeep brain worms are a strange disease.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Some how minivan shopping turned into Chevy bolt test driving. Apparently in 2024 dealers have the option to claim the EV tax credit and give buyer a 7500 rebate/discount/thing. Napkin math says we could trade in my wife HRV for a nicer bolt for 10k out of pocket. That is very attractive considering how much I hate driving that car.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Dealership called me this morning saying the car's arrived. Spent about 2 hours in there, they tried the "here's 8k of warranties" but I pushed back pretty easily, didn't give too much fuss (I let them have the tire replacement plan, it wasn't too much). Didn't even try to sell me on gap or whatever (mainly because I put 30% down). Ended up paying ~43k before tax and registration, well within my budget (650/mo at 5.79%)

Now to figure out how these drat infotainment things work

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Shipon posted:

Dealership called me this morning saying the car's arrived. Spent about 2 hours in there, they tried the "here's 8k of warranties" but I pushed back pretty easily, didn't give too much fuss (I let them have the tire replacement plan, it wasn't too much). Didn't even try to sell me on gap or whatever (mainly because I put 30% down). Ended up paying ~43k before tax and registration, well within my budget (650/mo at 5.79%)

Neat!

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Hell yes looks good

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Shipon posted:

that looks really nice

as for infotainment on modern toyota: i just plug phone into carplay and ignore most else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

ethanol posted:

as for infotainment on modern toyota cars: i just plug phone into carplay and ignore most else

Fixed