Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Strategic Tea posted:

We are very lucky that [the home office] are so loving stupid!

Tory "Intelligence" is always used for stealing money and nowt else. :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
From the other Ukraine thread in Internet VFW:

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1740673472223666454

quote:

This morning, russia carried out the most massive air attack since the beginning of the full-scale invasion.

The occupiers used a variety of types of ballistic missiles, air-launched cruise missiles, and Shahed UAVs to target civilian targets. A total of 158 missiles and UAVs were fired against Ukraine; 87 missiles and 27 Shaheds were shot down by Ukrainian air defense.

russia hit residential buildings, hospitals, schools, and shopping malls around the country.

Largest missile attack wave of the war, about 2/3rds were blasted out of the sky and they were apparently all aimed at civilian targets.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Strategic Tea posted:

We are very lucky that [the home office] are so loving stupid!

Service does not guarantees citizenship!

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Russia doesn't target civilians I was told. Surely this is just western propaganda

zone
Dec 6, 2016

For gently caress's sake. It always happens like clockwork, eat a big fat L and then murder and maim civilians in response.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Yeah it's pretty clear that Russia's strategy is to bomb civilians every time they face some sort of embarrassing incident. Would be nice if this was called out more on the international stage.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Dwesa posted:

They still shot down the majority of missiles/drones

Jesus christ.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

weg posted:

Yeah it's pretty clear that Russia's strategy is to bomb civilians every time they face some sort of embarrassing incident. Would be nice if this was called out more on the international stage.

But then we might hurt their feelings, and we cannot have that.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
don't want to put ol putin in an uncomfortable place, yknow

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
It's a long standing doctrine of the current russian regime to enact tit-for-tat vengeance for any real or perceived slight, big or small. I guess the purpose is to try to affect the political calculus of neighboring countries, making sure they know they won't get away with anything. Of course, when you're already waging a total war, it's pretty much pointless. These missiles would have been launched anyway at some point.

It's hard to describe Putin getting big mad his ships got blown up and escalating terror bombings as a good thing, but as mentioned above, this kind of volley directed at energy infra in the heart of the winter would actually produce results of strategic significance, instead of just further pointless tragedy.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

zone posted:

For gently caress's sake. It always happens like clockwork, eat a big fat L and then murder and maim civilians in response.

But enough about the idf scum.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Fumble posted:

But enough about the idf scum.

:frogout:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lXggyYWcSU

We hate USA but we wish we were USA

14 minutes of being in your own special bubble

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress that's pretty bad, that's like Gulf-War 1/2 missile scale. Hopefuly they didn't hit any AA installations or things could get much worse.

Is anyone gonna give us some Tomahawks finally?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

mobby_6kl posted:

gently caress that's pretty bad, that's like Gulf-War 1/2 missile scale. Hopefuly they didn't hit any AA installations or things could get much worse.

Is anyone gonna give us some Tomahawks finally?

Don't worry, future US aid to Ukraine is but a mere act of congress away! How hard could that be to accomplish?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
It's mind blowing to think of how many missiles/drones Russia has thrown at Ukraine in coming up to 2 years. Russia could very well of finished this off a year ago if they actually used those missiles against military targets. Throwing your expensive missiles at inert concrete with nothing of value military wise is so staggeringly dumb.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Hopefuly they didn't hit any AA installations or things could get much worse.

I'm not an air defense artillery guy, but I worked comm support in a missile defense unit in Germany back in the day and got the standard big-picture training for non-ADA types, the basic SAM 101 stuff during onboarding.

Defending the radar and launchers is typically a top priority for the air defense C2 element, even when that means the awful tradeoff of letting enemy missiles get through to strike other targets. The obvious logic is that, if you lose your air defenses, you won't be defending against anything.

So yeah, no way to know for sure as of now, but odds are good they prioritized shooting down anything that was on a trajectory to hit the AA and other critical infrastructure. Really hoping.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

We can still expect "xaxaxaxaxa we destroyed all the Ukrainian NATO command posts, Boris Johnsons, and Patriot launchers" from the usual suspects soon enough.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

zone posted:

We can still expect "xaxaxaxaxa we destroyed all the Ukrainian NATO command posts, Boris Johnsons, and Patriot launchers" from the usual suspects soon enough.

The usual suspects have already been doing their "xaxaxaxaxa where are the glorious Patriot air defense systems now!?", because "only" shooting down 114 of 158 rockets/drones is apparently pathetic.

In other news, Argentina, which was slated to join BRICS in the coming year, withdrew their application and told them to gently caress off. Granted it's because their libertarian populist president is insane and gave reasons for the withdrawal along the lines of "I will never do business with commies", but still, lol.

So much loyalty and comradery among despots and dictators. That multi-polar-new-world-order Putin was trying to usher in sure is coming right along.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there any more news on that object that entered Polish airspace?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Arc Hammer posted:

Is there any more news on that object that entered Polish airspace?

It crossed into Polish airspace for 3 minutes before crossing back into Ukraine.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

zone posted:

I assume it's for internal power struggles and propaganda.

Yes we took an L but we exacted revenge! Still strong!!!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

The_Franz posted:

In other news, Argentina, which was slated to join BRICS in the coming year, withdrew their application and told them to gently caress off. Granted it's because their libertarian populist president is insane and gave reasons for the withdrawal along the lines of "I will never do business with commies", but still, lol.

So much loyalty and comradery among despots and dictators. That multi-polar-new-world-order Putin was trying to usher in sure is coming right along.

That's at least one positive... But yeah, I'm well nervous about what is gonna happen in Argentina in general.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
making GBS threads BRICS

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The_Franz posted:

It crossed into Polish airspace for 3 minutes before crossing back into Ukraine.

Oh that's cool, that doesn't count under the "3 second minute rule"

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Dwesa posted:

They still shot down the majority of missiles/drones

Works out roughly $1.8 ish billion in missiles/drones for zero frontline effect. $1.1 billion was blown up by AA.

I'm not a tactical genius buuuuttt...

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
nobody cares about money in war except the anglos. this is a lot of why there's been some kind of anglo world dominance for the last two centuries, but nobody else cares

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Tai posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lXggyYWcSU

We hate USA but we wish we were USA

14 minutes of being in your own special bubble

I think it's funny that he starts off with "Never in history were so many sanctions implemented" or in other words "MY VILLAS!"

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1740774174254109007#m
Tactical advantage of forcing Britain's hand into delivering hundreds of missiles for Ukraine's air defense needs because monke got mad and ordered civilians shelled again? :dumb:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1740774174254109007#m
Tactical advantage of forcing Britain's hand into delivering hundreds of missiles for Ukraine's air defense needs because monke got mad and ordered civilians shelled again? :dumb:

Prime Minister Sunak trying to emulate Boris for ratings. :ohdear:

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Dropping 1B on a terror tantrum so you can hypersonic Ukrainian baby hospitals to show how not mad you are another boat full of your gear is sitting on the seafloor and your planes keep exploding.

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

I thought he was going to attack evil evil NATO directly this time? Or last time? Or next time? I've lost track. Warlock towers must be pulling double duty so he can't ICBM an orphanage I guess.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

In a rare moment of honesty, they admitted that 74 sailors were killed and 27 wounded when the Novocherkassk was sunk.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

zone posted:

In a rare moment of honesty, they admitted that 74 sailors were killed and 27 wounded when the Novocherkassk was sunk.

I like the phrase of "consider assistance", as if it's just an optional suggestion that doesn't have to be followed and has no guarantee whatsoever

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

lol The Russian army is so hosed up and worthless that it can't win a conventional war so instead they just start shooting missiles at civilians

What a bunch of freaks. Nuremburg Trials is all Putin and his generals deserve.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Toxic Mental posted:

What a bunch of freaks. Nuremburg Trials is all Putin and his generals deserve.

Yeah, if this doesn't finish with Putin hanging off a rope or locked in a tiny cell for the rest of his miserable life, the world has failed Ukraine.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Just Another Lurker posted:

Prime Minister Sunak trying to emulate Boris for ratings. :ohdear:

It might be more impressive if the Tories hadn't scapped all the UK's remaining Rapier SAM launchers and missile stocks in October 2021, six months before the invasion (when Russian troops were massed on the border and tensions high) to further cut costs and save a few pennies.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah, if this doesn't finish with Putin hanging off a rope or locked in a tiny cell for the rest of his miserable life, the world has failed Ukraine.

I would be also fine with a tiny cell hanging from a rope, for preference over fresh lava or similar

Burns
May 10, 2008

Tigey posted:

It might be more impressive if the Tories hadn't scapped all the UK's remaining Rapier SAM launchers and missile stocks in October 2021, six months before the invasion (when Russian troops were massed on the border and tensions high) to further cut costs and save a few pennies.

Wouldnt scrapping them effectively cost as much as keeping them stored somewhere?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Sadly, Putin is more likely to die of sickness or old age than face legal consequences.

Or a bullet/window, I guess, but that's only slightly more likely than the legal route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Tigey posted:

Whatever happened with Brimstone? From the descriptions of its capabilities it sounded like some sort of semi-autonomous missile system that would hunt any location designated for enemy vehicles.

Did supplies dry up or is the front as it currently stands not target-rich enough for its use and likely a waste of missiles?