Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

escalating all the way to ring0 and then using that access to just make safari load a webpage which escalates all the way to ring0 again through different means is quite the flex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

for anyone wondering about the gpu registers of course marcan just knew all of this off the top of his head: https://social.treehouse.systems/@marcan/111655847458820583

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

I didn't get any money for that one because the way I exploited it didn't apply to normal macOS (I used it to patch DCP code from m1n1), but now a nation state figured out how to use it for a real exploit chain. "Whoops".

lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

great stuff

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

just got this email

obviously this is phishing: it's got grammatical errors, it's urging me to do something financial, it's got a completely different template and color scheme than other emails i get from Frontier (my ISP), and it was sent from the totally not suspicious address of "DoNotReplyFrontierBillPay@billmatrix.com". i bet if i mouse over that sign in link it'll go somewhere suspicious, like

oh.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i mean it's also wrong, my auto bill pay stuff is still set up and working fine as far as i can tell, so who knows

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

seeing a lot of post xmas autopay fuckups. using visa?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

in a well actually posted:

no i told you my ISP is Frontier, god you customer support people are useless :argh:

nah it's not visa and like i said it's completely normal on their site and none of the payments have been missed so i'm assuming someone accidentally triggered that email from Mr. Bill Matrix via poorly thought out database query or whatever

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i got mad enough at a talk that i'm letting it jump the review queue so someone has time to give a contrary opinion. c3 have been slow on youtube uploads so i'm not posting my reviews until i have a long-term link for videos, but here's the relive link for this one: https://media.ccc.de/v/37c3-12034-the_impact_of_quantum_computers_in_cybersecurity

The impact of quantum computers in cybersecurity by Alessandro Luongo
- lol talk by a phd who's covered "quantum machine learning". writing quantum algorithms!! okay more seriously they have comically small text on their slides and are doing pretty trivials maths on time to complete a workload with extra parameters with quantum attached to their terms. they do the normal quantum topics: rsa2048->ecc256. post-quantum crypto with lattices, then make up poo poo for the impact of quantum machine learning for cybersecurity. the first two have been covered significantly better by qualified people in previous c3 talks. they go about it weird though by taking theoretical proofs and going "we could make this look better by changing variables", then repeating shor's algorithm like it gives their talk substance. i'm sounding mean here but he's taking a rough cost formula and treating it as a real device to simulate security proofs from. "machine learning is ubiquitous in cybersecurity"???? this is an absurd amount of waste to look into answering "is that domain from a domain generation algorithm", but this 'review' is already too long. he doesn't even talk about anything of substance in the entire talk!? q&a is funny and mostly the speaker saying they implemented algorithms not they they created any, or that they don't have answers. internet question really trips him up lol, take a drink every time he goes "it requires more than one phd", or "i don't know"

i'll be honest and reveal my initial brief of this talk (shared with the discord) off of a glance at the abstract now
- i smell a rat of a young student and a talk they're not qualified to do, but surprise me...
but let this be a great example talk for someone to come in any give a different view. please, i'm serious show me that i'm wrong here.

anyway i'm now enjoying some tamdhu and watching the rest of day 2's talks

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

apple emailed me saying my visa info was wrong and one of my app subs was going to lapse so i should fix it. it was fine but i bought a $25 apple credit to cover it just in case vOv

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shame Boy posted:

just got this email

obviously this is phishing: it's got grammatical errors, it's urging me to do something financial, it's got a completely different template and color scheme than other emails i get from Frontier (my ISP), and it was sent from the totally not suspicious address of "DoNotReplyFrontierBillPay@billmatrix.com". i bet if i mouse over that sign in link it'll go somewhere suspicious, like

oh.

:frontear:

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

i have a theory that the rates of all sorts of administrative errors (most visibly financial and billing type stuff) skyrocket in december due to mid-level employees taking PTO, leaving more junior employees to clean up the resulting messes

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Cold on a Cob posted:

apple emailed me saying my visa info was wrong and one of my app subs was going to lapse so i should fix it. it was fine but i bought a $25 apple credit to cover it just in case vOv

I hate Apple's emails when someone tries to reset your iCloud pw

Facebook's email for the same thing is 100× better

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Game mod on Steam breached to push password-stealing malware

anytime this sort of thing happens it freaks me out a bit b/c (as a user) how do you defend against malware distributed by a legit developer via a legit source?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

anytime this sort of thing happens it freaks me out a bit b/c (as a user) how do you defend against malware distributed by a legit developer via a legit source?

a functioning justice system

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

drat that mod sounds good too

as a user I don't know what you can do except in the case of steam games/mods ideally have as little stuff installed at a time as possible so the chance of something you have installed at any given time getting trojaned is hopefully lower?

some more isolation would be good but that might be difficult with games especially in windows (maybe it would be easier in steam on linux)

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 29, 2023

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
there’s no good reason for games not to be sandboxed but microsoft turbo-hosed their sandboxing by tying it to their lovely store and game developers will never ever voluntarily do extra work around packaging unless you force them to. treat your gaming pc as permanently potentially compromised and use a different pc (or at least a separate boot) for everything more important than like your netflix password

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
honestly surprised game mods don't cause security issues more often, the whole scene is effectively an ad-hoc unsigned code distribution service

I guess part of it is that most game mods are not native executables and run within a segregated environment anyway, this one seems to have been an exception

mystes
May 31, 2006

rjmccall posted:

there’s no good reason for games not to be sandboxed but microsoft turbo-hosed their sandboxing by tying it to their lovely store and game developers will never ever voluntarily do extra work around packaging unless you force them to. treat your gaming pc as permanently potentially compromised and use a different pc (or at least a separate boot) for everything more important than like your netflix password
it really sucks that they tried to do it in the most restrictive obnoxious way possible (including forcing everyone to use UWP originally) and then basically just completely abandoned any attempt at sandboxing (well the store itself is fine now but it's basically just a way to install applications with no sandboxing)

haveblue posted:

honestly surprised game mods don't cause security issues more often, the whole scene is effectively an ad-hoc unsigned code distribution service

I guess part of it is that most game mods are not native executables and run within a segregated environment anyway, this one seems to have been an exception
I haven't looked into it but if they're distributed with steam can't they just do whatever even if mods for a given game aren't supposed to be native executables?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

isolating games from the GPU sounds like a nightmare, but I guess if you’re not worried about someone popping the driver chain that’s OK

I wonder if just running as a different user would be worthwhile. not if they have escalation gadgets I suppose

mystes
May 31, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

isolating games from the GPU sounds like a nightmare, but I guess if you’re not worried about someone popping the driver chain that’s OK
yeah you're not going to be able to stop gpu exploits

On the other hand, consider that chromebooks are now able to run steam and the games in a vm and it's pretty ridiculous that you can't do that on windows.

I guess it would be kind of ridiculous to run games using proton in a linux vm on windows but wsl2 could probably theoretically already do that

I can't remember but maybe wsl2 uses a more traditional approach to gpu acceleration, and I don't know if if steam on chromeos does that or actual gpu virtualization? I assume gpu virtualization would be possible as long as nvidia would to deign to allow it

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 29, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mystes posted:

I haven't looked into it but if they're distributed with steam can't they just do whatever even if mods for a given game aren't supposed to be native executables?

I'm not that familiar with steam workshop but doesn't it handle the download and install process itself? if all it does is write files to the place where the game will search for mods without ever running a user-provided script, that's already more secure than downloading and running a binary

either way, the article says this mod was not distributed through steam workshop

mystes
May 31, 2006

haveblue posted:

I'm not that familiar with steam workshop but doesn't it handle the download and install process itself? if all it does is write files to the place where the game will search for mods without ever running a user-provided script, that's already more secure than downloading and running a binary

either way, the article says this mod was not distributed through steam workshop
I guess it was distributed through steam but not steam workshop? I don't know how that's different and I have no idea if steam/steam workshop allow running postinstall scripts or something

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mystes posted:

some more isolation would be good but that might be difficult with games especially in windows (maybe it would be easier in steam on linux)

steam on linux "installs" its own windows (wine prefix) instance for every separate game you run through proton already. it still has access to your files for savegame/screenshot convenience purposes etc, but you can limit that by setting which "drives" wine can see (default behavior is / on Z: and homedir on X: iirc), so properly sandboxing it should be trivial in theory

for game servers, it's trivial to just adduser for a game and use steamcmd to download/update as that user instead to prevent bullshit, too

mystes
May 31, 2006

Truga posted:

steam on linux "installs" its own windows (wine prefix) instance for every separate game you run through proton already. it still has access to your files for savegame/screenshot convenience purposes etc, but you can limit that by setting which "drives" wine can see (default behavior is / on Z: and homedir on X: iirc), so properly sandboxing it should be trivial in theory
are you saying properly sandboxing with containers or just relying on which drives are exposed via windows apis? I'm sure nobody has bothered exploiting wine so far but I'm having trouble believing that wine is actually secure against malicious software.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I wonder if just running as a different user would be worthwhile. not if they have escalation gadgets I suppose

do GPU's have virtualization instructions like CPU's do or have i just come up with a terrifying glimpse of the future

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Truga posted:

wine-using programs aren’t restricted to the wine APIs, they can call open(2) and such just fine if they want to (which is what the implementation of win32.dll or whatever is doing underneath)

wine doesn’t help with sandboxing against malware at all, let alone make it trivial

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

mystes posted:

are you saying properly sandboxing with containers or just relying on which drives are exposed via windows apis? I'm sure nobody has bothered exploiting wine so far but I'm having trouble believing that wine is actually secure against malicious software.

doesn't properly designed malware bail out if it detects it's being run under a debugger or an emulation/virtualization environment? so if anything wine should be more secure than running software on native windows, right

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

shackleford posted:

doesn't properly designed malware bail out if it detects it's being run under a debugger or an emulation/virtualization environment? so if anything wine should be more secure than running software on native windows, right

if i were writing malware and i detected you were running wine i would make the malware more visibly aggressive cuz I know it would bother the average linux user way more

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

if i were writing malware and i detected you were running wine i would make the malware more visibly aggressive cuz I know it would bother the average linux user way more

i would just uninstall myself because linux users are poor so there's no money to be made

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

wine-using programs aren’t restricted to the wine APIs, they can call open(2) and such just fine if they want to (which is what the implementation of win32.dll or whatever is doing underneath)

wine doesn’t help with sandboxing against malware at all, let alone make it trivial
that's a good point i didn't even think of "what if this windows app just opens file directly" lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

shackleford posted:

In a situation where proton/wine is specifically being targeted presumably that would not be the case. If proton/wine is not specifically being targeted then the malware would probably not work or be irrelevant but I would not describe that as it being "more secure".

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

do GPU's have virtualization instructions like CPU's do or have i just come up with a terrifying glimpse of the future

it depends and is complicated. future bulletins as events warrant, please like and subscribe

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
can’t believe posters forgot that wine is not an emulator

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

nrook posted:

can’t believe posters forgot that wine is not an emulator

They forgot

:911:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rjmccall posted:

it depends and is complicated. future bulletins as events warrant, please like and subscribe

any cool registers you want to tell us about, on the dl?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
on the dll

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

mystes posted:

On the other hand, consider that chromebooks are now able to run steam and the games in a vm and it's pretty ridiculous that you can't do that on windows.

what? since when? do they ship with the specialized (e.g. datacenter) gpus that allow for virtualization cause i thought that whole scene was still largely hosed and a house of cards for consumer gpus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr. Crow posted:

what? since when? do they ship with the specialized (e.g. datacenter) gpus that allow for virtualization cause i thought that whole scene was still largely hosed and a house of cards for consumer gpus
I'm not sure what technique they're using using so I don't know whether it's really using gpu virtualization on chromeos but iirc the support is absolutely there in consumer nvidia cards and I think windows sandbox does actually do gpu virtualization for nvidia cards on windows

I think nvidia just doesn't want people to be able to use it in normal VMs with consumer cards so it's probably locked behind some sort of license key like their screen capture api, but that doesn't mean the support isn't complete and present in those cards; nvidia just sucks

(although incidentally it seems like google already decided to stop putting nvida gpus in chromebooks, but intel integrated graphics are ok for a lot of casual games)

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 29, 2023