Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Ardennes posted:

Also, the Europeans not being onboard is going to make it meaningless because the Russians largely cashed out their reserves in Dollars and Pounds so the US would be pushing for undermining itself for a fraction of that amount.

That sounds like its a US ploy to make EU burn more bridges with Russia, a "monetary Nordstream" so to speak and the US and UK want Germany to blow up themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

The Oldest Man posted:

Western financialization since the end of the cold war has left the US, UK, Germany, etc. in a position where they own huge swathes of world economic activity but most of that is the paper plane spreadsheet activity of finance capital. That activity is contingent on being the world's banking, investment, and financial broker. Using the economic high-ground of finance capital to seize paper assets from Russia doesn't actually hurt their ability to wage war in the short term since all the physical industries of war continue to operate, but it does create new and powerful incentives for everybody to build their own financial apparatus outside the control of the West. It's ultimately just an extension of banking logic - the reason you put your money in a bank is because you have some reason to believe you'll be able to get it back later, with some interest. As soon as the bank starts playing by different rules and deciding who can get their money back out, people start looking for the exits. If you are an elite literally anywhere outside NATO, you're now looking at this action and going "well guess I shouldn't put my money or investments in that system since they're going to steal it from me if I make them mad."

AFAICT the reason they're doing this is because it plays well domestically in the US and they're having trouble getting the money-printer to work the way it used to so they're looking for some paper dollars to provide the fig leaf necessary to transfer more lockheed and general dynamics poo poo to blow up in Ukraine.

Oh okay same old same old. I thought people meant that there was something special or novel about this particular attempt to cut Russia off from world finance that was even dumber than the last few.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Aging hegemon goes to apparatus of empire, says, "destroy my enemies," gets injected with a huge dose of finance capital and changes - DECLINE! Many such cases.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

galagazombie posted:

Oh okay same old same old. I thought people meant that there was something special or novel about this particular attempt to cut Russia off from world finance that was even dumber than the last few.

it was a "freeze" before, they're proposing a "seize" now.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
A little late to this part of the discussion and I quite literally can't talk about it in detail but I work in aerospace machining. Another department at my workplace makes a lot of sintered metal parts. The machines themselves are very cool and so are the parts they spit out but quite literally all of them require time consuming secondary operations on traditional machining centers. They're a pain in the rear end to set up, and the level of precision afforded to us by the printer's resolution relative to the final part tolerances mean we have to dial in each part in the machine, so setups are not repeatable. In my judgement, at the current evolution of the technology, what you gain in material savings(aluminum powder is cheap) you lose in print and secondary operation time. However there are some things I can think of where printing is sort of the only way to accomplish certain things(difficult geometry of the overall part that would otherwise require, say, complex bending that could introduce stresses). Idk. Point is I hate them because I have to do those secondary operations.

Admiral Bosch has issued a correction as of 14:55 on Dec 29, 2023

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

BearsBearsBears posted:

I'm hearing a lot of anti-Space-X talk in this thread. Space-X is amazing if you give any shits at all about spaceflight,
I don't.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Admiral Bosch posted:

A little late to this part of the discussion and I quite literally can't talk about it in detail but I work in aerospace machining. Another department at my workplace makes a lot of sintered metal parts. The machines themselves are very cool and so are the parts they spit out but quite literally all of them require time consuming secondary operations on traditional machining centers. They're a pain in the rear end to set up, and the level of precision afforded to us by the printer's resolution relative to the final part tolerances mean we have to dial in each part in the machine, so setups are not repeatable. In my judgement, at the current evolution of the technology, what you gain in material savings(aluminum powder is cheap) you lose in print and secondary operation time. However there are some things I can think of where printing is sort of the only way to accomplish certain things(difficult geometry of the overall part that would otherwise require, say, complex bending that could introduce stresses). Idk. Point is I hate them because I have to do those secondary operations.

Is powder truly cheaper than billets or shapes? I'd figure powders would be more expensive per kg due to their strict particle size requirement. I've only ever flown plastic 3d printed parts and only ever for cable routing components which basically could be used as-is since they're non-structural (and thus easier to get buy-offs from everyone to actually use it)

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Justin Tyme posted:

Is powder truly cheaper than billets or shapes? I'd figure powders would be more expensive per kg due to their strict particle size requirement. I've only ever flown plastic 3d printed parts and only ever for cable routing components which basically could be used as-is since they're non-structural (and thus easier to get buy-offs from everyone to actually use it)

powder prices have dropped significantly in the past few years, probably not cheaper tha. billets though. think what he means by powder cost savings are the wasted materials associated with a subtractive process.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
space is going to be for the ultra rich so i don't give a gently caress about it

in fact we should be sabotaging the attempts

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Regarde Aduck posted:

space is going to be for the ultra rich so i don't give a gently caress about it

its going to be funny when we have to accept random orbital garbage strikes as one of the risks of everyday life

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Cursory search shows 6061 powder around $100/kg which is way more than billet but I suppose you get less waste, true. I don't really do much on the cost side of things though since we never mass produce anything, there may be cost savings somewhere but with the long process time of dmls and aforementioned pain in the rear end setup for final machining there are definite tradeoffs.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

Space is just the excuse to never fix anything. Just like the American frontier and Nazi Lebensraum, it is the idea that society can just runaway from its evil. Somehow run away from itself.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

Most of the rich guys funding it want space to be gundam-style where they send all the poors there, either because they want a pristine earth all to themselves so all the industry and labor has to eat poo poo in space (Bezoar) or because they want to be a feudal lord somewhere they can literally turn your air off if you displease them (Musk)

Either way we can't let capitalism get off this planet

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Bar Crow posted:

Space is just the excuse to never fix anything. Just like the American frontier and Nazi Lebensraum, it is the idea that society can just runaway from its evil. Somehow run away from itself.

otoh yuri loving Gagarin

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Justin Tyme posted:

Cursory search shows 6061 powder around $100/kg which is way more than billet but I suppose you get less waste, true. I don't really do much on the cost side of things though since we never mass produce anything, there may be cost savings somewhere but with the long process time of dmls and aforementioned pain in the rear end setup for final machining there are definite tradeoffs.

I mean cost of labor has to be figured into it as well right?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

The Oldest Man posted:

Either way we can't let capitalism get off this planet

Capitalism itself as an ideology and economic system cannot get off this planet due to the built in limitations.

Any serious voyage into space is going to need a long term base out of the gravity well, which will take decades with massive investment and resources backing it up.

All it takes is a short dip in the stock for the company to cancel the entire project, even if there's already 100 folks stuck up there with no way to get back after the company shutter everything down for a tax write off.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

NeonPunk posted:

Capitalism itself as an ideology and economic system cannot get off this planet due to the built in limitations.

Any serious voyage into space is going to need a long term base out of the gravity well, which will take decades with massive investment and resources backing it up.

All it takes is a short dip in the stock for the company to cancel the entire project, even if there's already 100 folks stuck up there with no way to get back after the company shutter everything down for a tax write off.

I like that optimism

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

I like that optimism

There are no indigenous cultures to enslave and loot to make up for the large long-term costs associated with space development. Any benefits will come only in the very long term, or as a surprise after a large foundation of basic science has been done. Companies hate doing basic science R&D.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Capitalism just needs to find the Na'vi planet to fester.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

unwantedplatypus posted:

There are no indigenous cultures to enslave and loot to make up for the large long-term costs associated with space development. Any benefits will come only in the very long term, or as a surprise after a large foundation of basic science has been done. Companies hate doing basic science R&D.

There are plenty of examples where someone will swim upstream long enough to get a first mover advantage and get a big fat valuation based on the idea of infinite growth on top of their highest growth ramp so that the initial investors can cash out, and then enshittify what they built to maximize rent as the growth projections crater and everything returns to the dogshit reality. That's what basically every tech company did 2005-2016, and it's what both of the big rich guy space fantasy companies are doing right now. And unfortunately for everyone, indigenous populations and mineral wealth aren't the only forms of exploitable resources under capitalism. Empty space in orbit can be privatized for profit just like the electromagnetic spectrum was. SpaceX is already profitable and it's going to keep being profitable as long as they can keep crowding up space with satellites and charging people hundreds dollars a month to use them.

Now is that profitability for doing space infrastructure around Earth going to translate into Elon's space fief on Mars? Probably not organically but he'll keep setting his own money on fire to move the ball that way as long as he's alive, and as long as he's got the money and there's an infinite growth story to prop up SpaceX's absurd valuation, they'll be working on it.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I like the idea of space mineral exploitation. It's obviously out of reach and completely infeasible but it's fun to imagine spaceX moving a huge chunk of gold, platinum, or emeralds into near earth orbit. But then rather than actually land it on earth or use the material for manufacturing, it becomes a threat used to manipulate market prices on spreadsheets.

"Better keep buying gold at spot price or I'll crash the entire market by bringing in hundreds of tons of space gold!" That kind of idea.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

space "flight" is bullshit, u fly out of the atmosphere sure but as soon as you're in space its just falling with no down

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

palindrome posted:

I like the idea of space mineral exploitation. It's obviously out of reach and completely infeasible but it's fun to imagine spaceX moving a huge chunk of gold, platinum, or emeralds into near earth orbit.

Elon musk's space citadel where he sits atop a golden throne

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

blatman posted:

space "flight" is bullshit, u fly out of the atmosphere sure but as soon as you're in space its just falling with no down

Space float

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

It's cool though cause once you're out of orbit, everything you escaped from is downhill from you. The moon could gently caress up earth big time just from the kinetic energy advantage it has. Start throwing mass down at the planet from your WW4 style moon/orbital station fortress.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

palindrome posted:

It's cool though cause once you're out of orbit, everything you escaped from is downhill from you. The moon could gently caress up earth big time just from the kinetic energy advantage it has. Start throwing mass down at the planet from your WW4 style moon/orbital station fortress.

how much damage would the ISS do if they dropped it on washington? their souls are held down by gravity

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Bar Crow posted:

mawarannahr posted:

otoh yuri loving Gagarin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqyXvMrQDk8

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

unwantedplatypus posted:

Yeah, the optimistic take is that capitalist greed alone can ever do any science. Companies spending money on fart app r&d in the 21st century is not the same. It's usually the gov that does the science and then lets some company make the money. Since no one, aside from the Chinese, is spending much money or energy in space dev there's not going to be any space science for them to leech off of.

None of these billionaire losers could successfully setup a hosed up half rear end island of dr moreau much less any kind of dystopian space colony/prison/mine/etc. They might jerk off over the idea but they can't do it.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yeah, the optimistic take is that capitalist greed alone can ever do any science. Companies spending money on fart app r&d in the 21st century is not the same. It's usually the gov that does the science and then lets some company make the money. Since no one, aside from the Chinese, is spending much money or energy in space dev there's not going to be any space science for them to leech off of.

None of these billionaire losers could successfully setup a hosed up half rear end island of dr moreau much less any kind of dystopian space colony/prison/mine/etc. They might jerk off over the idea but they can't do it.

That's pretty optimistic considering that pretty much the entirety of net-new launch capability in the US since 2010 or so is privately developed, owned, and operated by the guy who is funding it explicitly so he can be king of mars and his company for doing that is both self-funding at this point and actively working on the "send serfs to mars" system

You're right though that capitalistic greed alone isn't doing it. You also need narcissistic megalomania :v:

GrunkleStalin
Aug 13, 2021

palindrome posted:

Eh, rods from god can be setup with a single heavy lift launch.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

That's pretty optimistic considering that pretty much the entirety of net-new launch capability in the US since 2010 or so is privately developed, owned, and operated by the guy who is funding it explicitly so he can be king of mars and his company for doing that is both self-funding at this point and actively working on the "send serfs to mars" system

You're right though that capitalistic greed alone isn't doing it. You also need narcissistic megalomania :v:

Pointing to SpaceX as evidence that capitalism can do space development is like looking at a canoe and imagining a frigate.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The Oldest Man posted:

trying hard to maybe get US space capability back to an early 70s level is pretty far from Musk being able to be king of space anything. It wouldn't surprise me if he never lives to see an American take a single step on Mars. The fact that useless billionaires are the only ones driving US space dev is why I'm not expecting the US to do much of anything in space for my lifetime at least.

edit:

unwantedplatypus posted:

Pointing to SpaceX as evidence that capitalism can do space development is like looking at a canoe and imagining a frigate.

great way to put it

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

unwantedplatypus posted:

FuzzySlippers posted:

trying hard to maybe get US space capability back to an early 70s level is pretty far from Musk being able to be king of space anything. It wouldn't surprise me if he never lives to see an American take a single step on Mars. The fact that useless billionaires are the only ones driving US space dev is why I'm not expecting the US to do much of anything in space for my lifetime at least.

edit:

great way to put it

i doubt elon's vision is ever going to come true because it's a stupid vision that doesn't make sense, but hoping he will just fail on his own while the expertise, manufacturing capacity, number of launches, and available actual vehicles continue to pile into the "rich capitalist psychopath" column is the same cope as people looking at the comparative chinese and american shipbuilding tonnage stats and assuming america will just win a naval confrontation anyway due to reasons, just going the other direction. there is absolutely nothing good about that status quo. even if the outcome is just that spacex flies a billion tons of garbage into earth orbit and then goes under due to terminal capitalism, that's still terrible for everyone.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

blatman posted:

Calling it space bottle rockets isn't as mass market appealing.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The Oldest Man posted:

i doubt elon's vision is ever going to come true because it's a stupid vision that doesn't make sense, but hoping he will just fail on his own while the expertise, manufacturing capacity, number of launches, and available actual vehicles continue to pile into the "rich capitalist psychopath" column is the same cope as people looking at the comparative chinese and american shipbuilding tonnage stats and assuming america will just win a naval confrontation anyway due to reasons, just going the other direction. there is absolutely nothing good about that status quo. even if the outcome is just that spacex flies a billion tons of garbage into earth orbit and then goes under due to terminal capitalism, that's still terrible for everyone.

What they are actually doing just results in them reduplicating old US efforts except maybe cheaper and easier. To get to dystopian visions you have to expect them to accomplish all they say and then innovate wildly. This isn't cope because there is nothing that I'm worried about. They are not building Elysium they are just doing the same poo poo done before and slurp up gov contracts. I'm not concerned about Musk doing evil in space for the same reason I'm not concerned about MIC evil robots conquering the planet. They are too incompetent even if they had the willpower to try which they don't. They already have plenty of ways to oppress people without having to gently caress around in space.

Everything about the status quote is bad, but more from a depressing scam country way than an impending doom of space billionaires. Billionaires loving around in space feels no different than them loving around in the deep oceans where they will inevitably gently caress things up, cause future problems from their bullshit, but not cataclysmically so especially compared to what their fortunes are already doing. It's really just sad they are the only ones trying more than anything else. I wish other countries luck in their explorations, and I hope they find cool poo poo while we find innovative ways to waste taxpayer and investor money.

Everyone launching space junk is an issue but that's far from a Musk specific one and that seems inevitable as it became cheaper to do so. If there is no good solution to the problem of space junk then there's a fermi paradox answer I guess :shrug:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

FuzzySlippers posted:

What they are actually doing just results in them reduplicating old US efforts except maybe cheaper and easier. To get to dystopian visions you have to expect them to accomplish all they say and then innovate wildly. This isn't cope because there is nothing that I'm worried about. They are not building Elysium they are just doing the same poo poo done before and slurp up gov contracts. I'm not concerned about Musk doing evil in space for the same reason I'm not concerned about MIC evil robots conquering the planet. They are too incompetent even if they had the willpower to try which they don't. They already have plenty of ways to oppress people without having to gently caress around in space.

Everything about the status quote is bad, but more from a depressing scam country way than an impending doom of space billionaires. Billionaires loving around in space feels no different than them loving around in the deep oceans where they will inevitably gently caress things up, cause future problems from their bullshit, but not cataclysmically so especially compared to what their fortunes are already doing. It's really just sad they are the only ones trying more than anything else. I wish other countries luck in their explorations, and I hope they find cool poo poo while we find innovative ways to waste taxpayer and investor money.

Everyone launching space junk is an issue but that's far from a Musk specific one and that seems inevitable as it became cheaper to do so. If there is no good solution to the problem of space junk then there's a fermi paradox answer I guess :shrug:

all you need to see their rot is that logitech f710 sub

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://apnews.com/article/nebraska-summer-ebt-food-program-children-789f2d04bd195086d2e41d0d43b8111c

quote:

apnews.com
Nebraska governor stands firm on rejection of federal money to feed food-insecure children | AP News
MARGERY A. BECK
5–6 minutes

Updated 1:39 PM PST, December 29, 2023

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — Nebraska’s Republican governor on Friday reiterated his rejection of $18 million in federal funding to help feed children who might otherwise go hungry while school is out.

Nebraska will not participate in the 2024 Summer Electronic Benefits Transfer for Children — or Summer EBT — program, Gov. Jim Pillen said in a written statement. That statement came as advocates for children and low-income families held a news conference outside the Governor’s Mansion in Lincoln to call on Pillen to change his mind before the Jan. 1 deadline to sign up for the program.

The program — part of federal assistance made available during the COVID-19 pandemic — would provide pre-loaded EBT cards to families whose children are eligible for free and reduced-price lunches at school. Those families would receive $40 per eligible child per month over the summer. The cards can be used to buy groceries, similar to how SNAP benefits are used.

“COVID-19 is over, and Nebraska taxpayers expect that pandemic-era government relief programs will end too,” Pillen said in his statement. Pillen announced on Dec. 19 that Nebraska would not participate in the program. He has drawn a firestorm of criticism for later defending that stance at a news conference by saying, “I don’t believe in welfare.”

Neighboring Iowa is also opting out of the program, with Republican Gov. Kim Reynolds announcing that decision last week and saying, “An EBT card does nothing to promote nutrition at a time when childhood obesity has become an epidemic.”

States that participate in the federal program are required to cover half of the administrative costs, which would cost Nebraska an estimated $300,000. Advocates of the program note that the administrative cost is far outweighed by the $18 million benefit, which the U.S. Department of Agriculture estimates would benefit 175,000 Nebraska children who might otherwise go hungry on some days during the summer.

Advocacy group Nebraska Appleseed on Friday delivered a petition bearing more than 6,100 signatures from 230 communities across Nebraska calling on the state to utilize the federal Summer EBT program. Many of those who signed the petition also included comments expressing how much the program is needed, especially in light of multi-year inflation that has outpaced many household incomes.

“Everything is expensive,” wrote one mother from Bruno, a small rural town in eastern Nebraska. “I’m a single mom who works full time, and my budget is already spread so thin. My son plays sports, and as a growing boy, he could practically eat a hole through the wall; it feels like it never stops. The extra money for food would free up money for things like bills and savings, and car maintenance.”

Pillen insisted Friday that the state would continue to help food-insecure children through the Summer Food Service Program, which provides meals and snacks at various sites when school is not in session. Providing on-site services also allows providers to spot and report issues like malnutrition, neglect and abuse in children, he said.

But critics say not all families have access to the on-site programs — particularly in Nebraska’s vast rural stretches, where sites can be many miles away from a struggling family.

“No kid ever said, ‘I want to be born into a family that struggles,’” said Jenni Benson, president of the Nebraska State Education Association — the state’s largest teachers union. “Why would we even question that people and children deserve food?”

Preston Love Jr,, a longtime community advocate in Omaha, on Friday questioned whether Pillen was bowing to political pressure in rejecting the federal funding.

“I know the governor a little bit, and he seems to be a reasonable man. He’s a man who is compassionate in conversation,” Love said. “This is out of character. So, obviously, he’s not following his heart. He’s following his politics. He’s falling victim to political posturing, and there’s no excuse for that when it comes to children.”

As of Friday, 28 other states and six other U.S. territories and Native American tribes had confirmed their participation, according to the USDA.

the new old army recruitment crisis is going to be severe malnutrition and illiteracy

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
School lunch programs were introduced because they noticed that guys showing up for service for WW2 were malnourished.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
(puts on top hat and monocle, swirls brandy)

Rather that re-introduce school lunches to combat malnutrition during an enlistment shortfall crisis and thus spend good money on those filthy disgusting poors I suggest we simply re-introduce cannibalism as the solution, so long as they only eat other poor people of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DancingShade posted:

(puts on top hat and monocle, swirls brandy)

Rather that re-introduce school lunches to combat malnutrition during an enlistment shortfall crisis and thus spend good money on those filthy disgusting poors I suggest we simply re-introduce cannibalism as the solution, so long as they only eat other poor people of course.

Implement the Purge and recruit the survivors, who will be the strongest of the poors.