Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

The Islamic Shock posted:

A fair but incredibly annoying reminder of how the DNC and RNC can pretty much do whatever the gently caress they want before the general

Well, either we write them into the legal structure of the country or we carry the fig leaf that they aren’t and pretend like we’re not permanently a two party system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Murgos posted:

Well, either we write them into the legal structure of the country or we carry the fig leaf that they aren’t and pretend like we’re not permanently a two party system.

I mean, the Founding Fathers hated the idea of political parties so that's a feature, not a bug.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Lammasu posted:

I mean, the Founding Fathers hated the idea of political parties so that's a feature, not a bug.

Washington did. The others for the most part immediately split into parties.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Billy Gnosis posted:

The Dersh's first wife died under mysterious circumstances after she alleged she was being abused by him.

I have no trouble believing this the same way I have no problem believing he likes to gently caress kids. Who better to get away with that poo poo than a defense attorney anyway, particularly one as talented as him. (TBH not sure how much of the strength of the OJ defense team was responsible for his acquittal vs the absolutely staggering incompetence of the LAPD and one Mark Fuhrman). I read Vincent Bugliosi's book about the case and it certainly seems like the incompetence of the police and prosecutor's officeplayed a substantial part of that acquittal.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Professor Beetus posted:

Who better to get away with that poo poo than a defense attorney anyway, particularly one as talented as him. (TBH not sure how much of the strength of the OJ defense team was responsible for his acquittal vs the absolutely staggering incompetence of the LAPD and one Mark Fuhrman). I read Vincent Bugliosi's book about the case and it certainly seems like the incompetence of the police and prosecutor's officeplayed a substantial part of that acquittal.

I realize this wasn't what you meant but please don't poo poo on defense attorneys generally, even by implication.

The answer to your question is that the majority of the time in most cases there's *some* kind of prosecutorial fuckup, and the more attorney hours you can afford to invest, the more likely you are to find it. OJ just was able to pay for a team to do a lot of digging. That's what good defense work is, most of the time.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I realize this wasn't what you meant but please don't poo poo on defense attorneys generally, even by implication.

The answer to your question is that the majority of the time in most cases there's *some* kind of prosecutorial fuckup, and the more attorney hours you can afford to invest, the more likely you are to find it. OJ just was able to pay for a team to do a lot of digging. That's what good defense work is, most of the time.

Yeah, sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was making GBS threads on defense attorneys, just pointing out that someone like Dersh probably understands the law well enough to cover all his bases, were he to commit the heinous crime of murdering his wife.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Professor Beetus posted:

I have no trouble believing this the same way I have no problem believing he likes to gently caress kids. Who better to get away with that poo poo than a defense attorney anyway, particularly one as talented as him. (TBH not sure how much of the strength of the OJ defense team was responsible for his acquittal vs the absolutely staggering incompetence of the LAPD and one Mark Fuhrman). I read Vincent Bugliosi's book about the case and it certainly seems like the incompetence of the police and prosecutor's officeplayed a substantial part of that acquittal.

Basically, the LAPD framed a guilty man and managed to get him found not guilty with thier bullshit.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Trump is mad that the think tank his Ex-staffer runs, America First Policy Institute, is raising money that he should be getting. He wants the nonprofit to give him a cut or something. You would think that a notorious tax cheat would know more about taxes.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Lammasu posted:

Trump is mad that the think tank his Ex-staffer runs, America First Policy Institute, is raising money that he should be getting. He wants the nonprofit to give him a cut or something. You would think that a notorious tax cheat would know more about taxes.

Trump has people he doesn't pay to know that stuff for him.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

BiggerBoat posted:

Basically, the LAPD framed a guilty man and managed to get him found not guilty with thier bullshit.

Old habits are hard to kick!

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
like a stimulant addiction

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1740521056673144886

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

i'm not in favor of this trend for the lasting legal potential, i'm in favor of the chaos and discomfort for the supreme court majority as they struggle to scrub this off the table

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Staluigi posted:

i'm not in favor of this trend for the lasting legal potential, i'm in favor of the chaos and discomfort for the supreme court majority as they struggle to scrub this off the table

That's the thing. It's not "legal potential." It is the law.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ynglaur posted:

That's the thing. It's not "legal potential." It is the law.

Exactly. Anyone think Arnold wouldn't cream Trump in an election if he were allowed to run? But he isn't, because of the Constitution. Trump is similarly barred. There's nothing controversial about it, or there shouldn't be.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Maine's primary is March 5, same as Colorado.

Have we already discussed how quickly the SC would be able to decide the case? I'm also unsure if there will be some sort of hearing or if it's something they just vote on and issue a ruling.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

And unlike Colorada this would actually cost him something.

It’s only 1 EV though.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Xiahou Dun posted:

And unlike Colorada this would actually cost him something.

It’s only 1 EV though.

true and yet imagine if he gets 269 EC votes

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Ms Adequate posted:

true and yet imagine if he gets 269 EC votes
It would never happen that he's off the ballot in Maine and only Maine but it would be hilarious

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I found out getting my BBA that there are lawyers whose job it is to sue Walmart specifically because they're massive and capitalist enough to be perpetually up to no good in a legal way

Kinda surprised this isn't a thing for Trump

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I found out getting my BBA that there are lawyers whose job it is to sue Walmart specifically because they're massive and capitalist enough to be perpetually up to no good in a legal way

Kinda surprised this isn't a thing for Trump

Can you give us any more detail on this? Are they just constantly hunting for lawsuits against Walmart on behalf of independent companies, are they permanently employed for this purpose in some capacity? I'm not particularly surprised, but more information would be interesting.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah, I'm honestly curious how that's a thing. Then again, I could also see the owners of Walmart-as-a-whole having lawyers who's job it is to make sure that all the stores carrying the Walmart name are at least following the letter of the law even if they're gleefully making life as miserable as possible for everyone in the name of profit.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I mean, I can see how specializing in slip and fall cases against local wal mart stores or something might be a gig.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I mean, I can see how specializing in slip and fall cases against local wal mart stores or something might be a gig.

It’s probably more like ‘keep an eye on local ordinances everywhere Walmart is thinking of expanding or what new flavor of legal chicanery they’re trying elsewhere so when they start greasing palms in their favor to relax say, environmental regs they’re ready to go with an injunction’ type stuff.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
I remember reading an article about a person who made a living from suing over ADA violations. Same about suing over do not call list violations. I wonder if that's still a thing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

AvesPKS posted:

I remember reading an article about a person who made a living from suing over ADA violations. Same about suing over do not call list violations. I wonder if that's still a thing.

I mean, lawyers tend to specialize.

The lawyer overseeing the Sam Bankman-Fried bankruptcy is the same guy who oversaw the Enron bankruptcy. He's specialized in taking over and running big bankrupt firms. Once you do a complex thing well once people often ask you to do it again.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 29, 2023

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I should note that my source is very anecdotal, a professor who is a terrible person generally but in the world of business definitely seemed like she knew what she was talking about

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 29, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Oh I'm sure such lawyers exist. For any given government agency there are lawyers who specialize in litigation against that agency. I'm sure there's a dude somewhere who had a couple successful cases against Walmart and now that's all he does.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
In actual on-topic news, reading the Maine thing it looks like Trump wouldn't even be a valid write-in if that goes through.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

I mean, lawyers tend to specialize.

The lawyer overseeing the Sam Bankman-Fried bankruptcy is the same guy who oversaw the Enron bankruptcy. He's specialized in taking over and running big bankrupt firms. Once you do a complex thing well once people often ask you to do it again.

Pretty sure the ADA guy(s, apparently) wasn't a lawyer, just a disabled person who drove around looking for violations to sue over.

https://www.abcactionnews.com/longform/crippled-florida-businesses-seek-help-over-serial-americans-with-disabilities-act-suers

https://abc7.com/archive/7655664/

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/sanfrancisco/news/serial-plaintiff-turns-california-ada-lawsuits-into-lucrative-cottage-industry/

Do not call profiteers:

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/texas-man-wins-100000-suing-robocallers.amp

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/personal-finance/2020/02/16/tired-telemarketers-virginia-man-decides-sue-easier-think/111323540/

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

AvesPKS posted:

Pretty sure the ADA guy(s, apparently) wasn't a lawyer, just a disabled person who drove around looking for violations to sue over.

https://www.abcactionnews.com/longform/crippled-florida-businesses-seek-help-over-serial-americans-with-disabilities-act-suers

That headline :catstare:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
the 180 between full run around and 'oh gently caress, yes we will do that asap' as soon as the ADA is mentioned is staggering. it's one of the unambiguously really good things the country has done. I can only imagine how utterly hosed people were before it when getting literally any level of accommodation was 10 layers of uphill struggle that had to be repeated for every single thing that needed to be changed.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

In actual on-topic news, reading the Maine thing it looks like Trump wouldn't even be a valid write-in if that goes through.

Disqualified means disqualified from taking the oath of president and acting as commander and chief. Being on the ballot is secondary to that, and being on the primary ballot is even further removed from that. That's the basis for the Michigan Supreme Court's ruling. They said that primary ballots are too far attenuated from the actual thing he's disqualified from for those issues to matter to the actual thing the court can do. If the Republicans want to nominate a 25 year old or someone born on foreign soil then that's on them, but that person ain't taking the oath.

If Trump gets elected and he's disqualified then the electoral college will still vote in his vice president, who will then assume the office of president.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BigHead posted:

Disqualified means disqualified from taking the oath of president and acting as commander and chief. Being on the ballot is secondary to that, and being on the primary ballot is even further removed from that. That's the basis for the Michigan Supreme Court's ruling. They said that primary ballots are too far attenuated from the actual thing he's disqualified from for those issues to matter to the actual thing the court can do. If the Republicans want to nominate a 25 year old or someone born on foreign soil then that's on them, but that person ain't taking the oath.

If Trump gets elected and he's disqualified then the electoral college will still vote in his vice president, who will then assume the office of president.

This seems kind of silly, TBH. It's entirely reasonable for the government to say that you can't show up on a ballot for a race you're not allowed to win.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KillHour posted:

This seems kind of silly, TBH. It's entirely reasonable for the government to say that you can't show up on a ballot for a race you're not allowed to win.

I can see letting primaries slide, though. They're not an actual election for any office - it's just an internal party thing. The government has an interest in the names on the ballot for the general election, though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

KillHour posted:

Sure, but has the government in Minnesota actually passed such a law? They could sure and some states have but?

nerox
May 20, 2001

AvesPKS posted:

I remember back in law school, my business law teacher telling us about how there was this one dude who owned a food cart in New York that filed a very large number of shareholder derivative suits against corporations. Turns out, his food cart was next to a building where one firm that specialized in shareholder derivative suits was located. They would find something they could sue about, go down to their cart guy and have him buy one share of stock, then file the suit on his behalf. The suits were never worth much but the attorneys got to get attorneys fees from the corporation. So it was just a perpetual attorney fee generating grind by slowly bleeding corporation after corporation.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Fuschia tude posted:

That headline :catstare:

The entire article is wild just tons of crying about these businesses that are breaking the law and how dare someone hold them to account. I especially liked the hotel manager who says no one even uses the improvements they put in place! Which is an interestinf juxtaposition to their crying that the dude didn't notify them via other means than an ADA lawsuit. You know so they could totally not ignore him and their obligations under the law which is why the law even allows people to sue in the first place. And of course the democratic rep quoted crying about how unfair the ADA is. loving shameful poo poo all around.

Raldikuk fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 29, 2023

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Raldikuk posted:

The entire article is wild just tons of crying about these businesses that are breaking the law and how dare someone hold them to account. I especially liked the hotel manager who says no one even uses the improvements they put in place! Which is an interestinf juxtaposition to their crying that the dude didn't notify them via other means than an ADA lawsuit. You know so they could totally not ignore him and thwir obligations under the law which is why the law even allows people to sue in the first place. And of course the democratic rep quoted crying about how unfair the ADA is. loving shameful poo poo all around.

quote:

U.S. Representative Kathy Castor (D-Hillsborough County) believes businesses don’t always get a fair shake with current ADA laws. In 2013, she co-sponsored a bill that would give businesses 90 days to fix violations.

“This cries out for reform,” she said. “I do think that it is fair to give businesses a reasonable time to comply with the law and if they don’t then there should be consequences.”

In case people were curious about the actual quote from the Dem Rep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

socialsecurity posted:

In case people were curious about the actual quote from the Dem Rep.

Why should they get 90 days? Why is this "crying out for reform?" Last I checked, ignorance of the law was not a valid defense for breaking it.