Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
How many quarterbacks have actually started every game this season? I doubt you need more than one hand to count them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Mega64 posted:

How many quarterbacks have actually started every game this season? I doubt you need more than one hand to count them.

Lamar Jackson
Patrick Mahomes
Jared Goff
Jordan Love
Josh Allen
Tua
Jalen Hurts

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

edit: ^ :argh: ^

Mega64 posted:

Lawrence, Baker, Hurts, Howell (benched mid game twice, will not start next game if Brissett is healthy), Russell Wilson (now benched), Goff, Tua, Josh Allen, Love, Lamar, Mahomes, I think Purdy started every game despite being concussed?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
lol Browns ain’t going to the Super Bowl, c’mon

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Mega64 posted:

Lamar
Tua
Josh Allen
Pat Mahomes
Baker
Dak
Goff

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I need some advanced long snapping stats

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

CubanMissile posted:

lol Browns ain’t going to the Super Bowl, c’mon

In a couple weeks they will just have to win 3 games to do it and the biggest challenge of the whole thing is needing to win a game in Baltimore, a thing they've already done once this year.

I certainly wouldn't bet money on it, but there really is a chance, especially if Flacco keeps putting up 300+ yards a game and they get to rest up a lot of these injured guys week 18 since they've clinched #5.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

kalensc posted:

Buffalo can miss the playoffs at 10-7, they'll be playing starters at Miami unless every Wild Card rival loses this week.

It'd be PRETTY unlikely for the Bills to miss the postseason at 10-7 and there's a fairly good shot they'll have a spot sewed up if they beat the Patriots at home on Sunday.

All of these let them clinch with a week to spare…

1. Win + PIT loss or tie + CIN loss or tie
2. Win + PIT loss or tie + JAX loss or tie
3. Win + PIT loss or tie + HOU loss or tie + IND loss or tie
4. Win + CIN loss or tie + JAX loss or tie
5. Win + CIN loss or tie + HOU loss or tie + IND loss or tie

This week has PIT @ SEA, CIN @ KC, JAX (without Lawrence) vs CAR, LV @ IND, TEN @ HOU.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Black Sunshine posted:

Every non-QB is just someone not good enough to play the most important position therefore they all suck and the Hall of Fame should be QB only. No grandfather clause bullshit, take Jerry Rice's bust and melt that fucker down because he wasn't good enough to be a quarterback.

LT is safe

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

I absolutely refuse to monitor this, and you can't make me

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Black Sunshine posted:

Every non-QB is just someone not good enough to play the most important position therefore they all suck and the Hall of Fame should be QB only. No grandfather clause bullshit, take Jerry Rice's bust and melt that fucker down because he wasn't good enough to be a quarterback.

Completely disingenuous to my argument. Returners are one of the only positions that people graduate from besides guard to tackle. You can't look at the careers of Steve Smith Jr. or Odell Beckham or any other returner that was put into offense instead and ignore that.

Hester wasn't that great. He was from your nostalgia era.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

HootTheOwl posted:

LT is safe

Correct, Tomlinson threw a bunch of TD passes and has a great passer rating

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Defenders don't count in that scenario because they hate QBs and would never be one.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Black Sunshine posted:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

wilderthanmild posted:

In a couple weeks they will just have to win 3 games to do it and the biggest challenge of the whole thing is needing to win a game in Baltimore, a thing they've already done once this year.

I certainly wouldn't bet money on it, but there really is a chance, especially if Flacco keeps putting up 300+ yards a game and they get to rest up a lot of these injured guys week 18 since they've clinched #5.

Yeah. Cleveland and LA are the two hot teams that have a shot along with the typical contenders. The AFC playoffs are good as hell. Ravens, Bills, Browns, Dolphins, Chiefs, and healthy Texans(if we ever see that again) are all good enough to beat one another up. None of those teams are totally dominant. Ravens are closest, but the injuries on offense are going to bring some inconsistency, especially to the run game.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Black Sunshine posted:

Now this is how you build a more rational Hall of Fame

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Hester also wasn't like terrible at reciever on the whole, he was just bad at like being the X. Which is what the Bears p much had him playing because they neglected to ever try and upgrade at the WR position.

Should have never been anything more than a gadget or 3rd or 4th reciever who's dangerous enough with the ball in his hand and fast enough that you have to respect him. But yeah, lmao he was going up against number 1 corners and yeah, his route running and refinement never got good enough to reliably beat that.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 29, 2023

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Dexo posted:

Hester also wasn't like terrible at reciever on the whole, he was just bad at like being the X. Which is what the Bears p much had him playing because they neglected to ever try and upgrade at the WR position.

Should have never been anything more than a gadget or 3rd or 4th reciever who's dangerous enough with the ball in his hand and fast enough that you have to respect him. But yeah, lmao he was going up against number 1 corners and yeah, his route running and refinement never got good enough to reliably beat that.

Should have had him solely doing Go routes and giving him the odd wide receiver screen or end around.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

a Browns - Lions Super Bowl would own because: It would be two of the most storied franchises meeting (and I believe neither of them have been to a Super Bowl?) and a Cleveland-Detroit playing is peak Midwest supremacy. God bless. Do not forget our beloved Rust Belt!!

Counterpoint : One of those teams would get to their first ever Superbowl and then be beaten by the Browns or Lions

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Doltos posted:

Completely disingenuous to my argument. Returners are one of the only positions that people graduate from besides guard to tackle. You can't look at the careers of Steve Smith Jr. or Odell Beckham or any other returner that was put into offense instead and ignore that.

“sure he was the best ever at this thing but he wasn’t good at this different thing!”

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Put him in the Madden Hall of Fame and just be done with it

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Hester was amazing but i don't think returners should be in the HoF, if you think they do then yea makes sense to put Hester in.

It's wild to me anyone would put Hester in over any of these other dudes:

◽️ Reggie Wayne
◽️ Torry Holt
◽️ Julius Peppers
◽️ Antonio Gates
◽️ Patrick Willis
◽️ Rodney Harrison
◽️ Dwight Freeney
◽️ Jared Allen
◽️ Andre Johnson
◽️ Jahri Evans
◽️ Willie Anderson
◽️ Eric Allen
◽️ Darren Woodson
◽️ Fred Taylor

Like Hester over Torry Holt or Willie Anderson??!?!?

Just coming back to this and obviously I'm biased but Steve Smith as well.

Steve Smith was 1st team all pro his rookie year as a returner, then began transitioning away in 2002 but still did very well. He was also one of the best wide receivers of his era, won the triple crown in 2005 on a team where the 2nd leading receiver was a running back, murdered teams in high stakes games and situations, and talked massive poo poo the entire time. And of course in the Seattle playoff game in 2005, smith demanded to return a punt because he was being triple teamed, and he housed it the refs were right to pick up the flag

Hester gets in behind Steve Smith.

Also smith did this at like 36 years old. skip to 1:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tru3SE0Hzu0&t=105s

edit* just watch the whole thing. 2nd play is him breaking like six tackles against the texans for a TD in a game the Panthers were down 4 scores.

lmao this also has the play where he caught a pass at the 3, was hit so hard he broke his arm, and still got into the end zone.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 29, 2023

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

AndrewP posted:

“sure he was the best ever at this thing but he wasn’t good at this different thing!”

It implies that if other great players returned kicks and punts you wouldn't even remember Hester

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I already wouldn't remember Hester if it wasn't for this thread

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Football HoF should be treated like the Rock and Roll HoF, i.e. put everyone cool in even if they aren't really Rock and Roll.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Pepperidge Farm remembers

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Basically Dolly Parton should be inducted into the Football Hall of Fame.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The only solution is to boot special teamers from the hall and ban kicking

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The only solution is to boot special teamers from the hall and ban kicking

We can finally get feet out of the game and just call it ball

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007
No one should be in the Hall because in an alternate history someone else may have been better at the thing they were great at

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Doltos posted:

Another argument against Jahri Evans getting in the Hall!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Papercut posted:

We can finally get feet out of the game and just call it ball

:ohdear:

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Whenever I think about kick returns I think about how Leon Washington single handedly beat the chargers with two kick returns for TDs

https://youtu.be/WgrIFZqRYeM?si=TnU_vIrm3m22o24T

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
They need to make a new Modern Era NFL HoF so these coddled fancy boy players of today aren't disrespectfully enshrined next to players who earned their way getting the crap beat out of them.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Can we stop it with the off-season chat? I know the Giants and Bears are long dead, but we have genuinely exciting playoffs around the corner. And two games that may determine the 1 seeds this week!

If the Lions win out and the Niners lose to the Rams next week, they have homefield through the playoffs. Do the Lions at home have enough to beat a visiting 49ers?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Lions are a loving lock to beat Dallas.

SF’s offensive line is very sus without Trent Williams, them @ Detroit could be a very fun game

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 29, 2023

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The Lions simply winning a playoff game would match their greatest achievement in the Super Bowl era.

Bonus points if it's somehow against the Cowboys again (dunno if the seeding makes it possible but gently caress it).

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Can we stop it with the off-season chat? I know the Giants and Bears are long dead, but we have genuinely exciting playoffs around the corner. And two games that may determine the 1 seeds this week!

If the Lions win out and the Niners lose to the Rams next week, they have homefield through the playoffs. Do the Lions at home have enough to beat a visiting 49ers?

The HoF list literally came out this week. It's perfectly on topic.

Stop trying to backseat mod and bring up another topic if you're sick of this one

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If we want to talk about both current football and the Hall of Fame, we could simply talk about future Hall of Famer Joe Flacco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Mega64 posted:

If we want to talk about both current football and the Hall of Fame, we could simply talk about future Hall of Famer Joe Flacco.

I hear he is cool and good.