Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Weird Pumpkin posted:

When I play in a co-op game in the near ish future, is it possible for one player to play tav and I control an origin character?

If I do, how does it handle the character's plot and scenes with Tav? Do they just not happen, or I'm in control of them or something?

Or I guess everyone could see separate scenes as well

Yes. They don’t happen or you lose control of your character in a really odd scenario. Only happened to me once as Astarion in Act 2 but Act 3 finale is coming up and that requires the group to copy the runes. I have a contingency just in case. You may get unique dream sequences that you can choose to make public or private. Everyone has a unique sequence right after you land on the beach from the nautiloid. Also origins apparently make unique comments on their surroundings but I haven’t done another play through to compare.

There seem to be TAV specific romance scenes and I didn’t get those or Astarions bite scene. I was hoping to enthrall a Gith but all signs point to me not getting that scene

Black Noise fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

The Lord Bude posted:

If Ethel’s hair is in your inventory when you get the cutscene to feed the owlbear cub when it first comes to your camp it will be fed to the owlbear instead of food.

Lol, just imagining this is hilarious, as I remember the game made sure to focus on the gross piece of dry skin and hair with lice crawling thru it. And Tav just pulling this out of their pack and throwing it at the owlbear accidently, like "wait, not that!'

I know it's a bug, but they should make it so you can bring owlbear as a pet and adventure with it.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Monathin posted:

There's also Psychic Spark, which you can pick up in Act 1 (I think the bugbear guy in the mushroom village sells it), which makes every Magic Missile you cast essentially upcast at +1 level for free.

It requires some setup but not really as much as Bude is claiming, and it's an idea use of smaller spell slots and you can still get some extra damage on it.

I always pair this with the crossbow that shoots force bolts and gives you another casting of magic missile.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Black Noise posted:

Yes. They don’t happen or you lose control of your character in a really odd scenario. Only happened to me once as Astarion in Act 2 but Act 3 finale is coming up and that requires the group to copy the runes. I have a contingency just in case. You may get unique dream sequences that you can choose to make public or private. Everyone has a unique sequence right after you land on the beach from the nautiloid.

There seem to be TAV specific romance scenes and I didn’t get those or Astarions bite scene. I was hoping to enthrall a Gith but all signs point to me not getting that scene

Oh hmm... well that's good to know!

Was gonna be playing it with my wife, so I definitely want her to experience the story with her companions. I suppose I could just make a character for this run and do an origin playthrough on my own at some point.

I was thinking of playing as shadowheart and respeccing her as a monk, but if that cuts off her whole plot it would be kind of a shame.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

No her plot will still be there and you will get a different internal perspective. But your wife can’t romance her since you’re her. The game will still treat her as a Cleric of Shar. Although I don’t know how the first camp disagreement goes if you’re in control.

I didn’t get Astarions bite or the night scene at the grove camp but I’m in a group of 2 customs and a durge. And the game is buggy despite the praises.

Black Noise fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 29, 2023

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Another thing that's really handy for Honour mode runs is to keep a supply of Invisbility Potions on hand. If a fight really goes to poo poo, you can often have your last survivor drink an invisbility potion and run the gently caress away.

Honestly though, just don't get cocky/sloppy. Honour isn't much more challenging than Tactician and the special boss abilities you can bypass through CC or just killing the boss in two turns. The first 4 levels are the toughest. Once you hit level 5 it's relatively smooth sailing.

I do really recommend having your PC be a Bard with Persuasion expertise and all the utility/dialogue ritual spells (Minor Illusion, Friends, Disguise, Speak to Animals, Longstrider, Feather Fall, Detect Thoughts, etc) plus grab the shapeshifter ring that gives you +1d4 on checks while shapeshifted or disguised. I also went gith for the Astral Knowledge ability. That just kind of gives you maximal dialogue options.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've heard magic missile is real good but it seems like I'm missing something because it's kind of bad on my sorcerer. Maybe there's a wizard ability to improve it?

I ended up just downloading cheatengine to get the hair. Not sure if it broke my achievements, we'll see. Now I've got 16 str, 18dex, 8con, 8int, 20wis, 8cha on my TB monk at level 12. Speaking of, anywhere to get a consistent supply of cloud giant elixirs? I've got the amulet of greater health to set my constitution to 23 but there's a big difference between +3 strength and +8 or whatever 27 is.

magic missile is great for some stuff, like taking out several low health enemies guaranteed or triggering all the enemies unstoppable stacks. there's also some tech that makes it do several hundred damage a round but it requires some setup from another member of the party

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Besides obvious stuff like the necklace/sparkling staff, the secret to getting highlight reel Magic Missile damage is the Shriek debuff from Phalar Aluve because the 1d4 thunder damage stacks with every single hit. You can have a frontline character run around with it or 2 Fighter to wear it yourself, although you ideally want to have your hands free.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

There's ~650 gold worth of incense in Shar's temple.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Makes you wonder why the Disciples of Shar spend so much time on indoctrination and subterfuge when they'd be far more profitable and popular running overpriced dispensaries in Baldur's Gate.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

I took down Orin in my honor run at level 10. Was an extremely close call but I got a tiny window where I could blast off unstoppables with magic missiles and then charge a destructive wrathed witch bolt crit on a wet target with my tempestsorc.

Dinged 11 when the fight ended :v:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

exquisite tea posted:

Besides obvious stuff like the necklace/sparkling staff, the secret to getting highlight reel Magic Missile damage is the Shriek debuff from Phalar Aluve because the 1d4 thunder damage stacks with every single hit. You can have a frontline character run around with it or 2 Fighter to wear it yourself, although you ideally want to have your hands free.

Phalar Aluve is real nice on a swords Bard. Armour them to gently caress, give them a good shield, lead every fight by popping either Sing or Shriek and then dropping Inspiration on someone. Then they can sprinkle around healing spells, magical support, or mop-up attacks as needed.

e: wait, does the tempest Cleric's damage maximizing Channel Divinity work on the bonus damage from Shriek? Could you dip one level or spend a feat to give Shart magic missile, then use that + the extra missiles items + Shriek to give her a never-miss finishing move that lets her pick off troublesome casters from across the battlefield?

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 29, 2023

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

You flatter me, but my path to the golden dice was incredibly sloppy and filled with hijinks. If people saw how many times I canceled my own Twinned Haste out of carelessness for the hundreds of hours I've played this game, I'd be laughed at.

My #1 advice for anyone attempting a full run of their own would be Don't Try Anything New in Honor Mode.

hmm, that's kinda tough though. very few people will have the time for the several hundred hours you've put into the game. like I'm not even in act 2 on my first run yet. if I do honor mode it will be on my second run, with new builds for chars, and there's no doubt that with all the dice rolls I'll be encountering new stuff on a regular basis.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

e: wait, does the tempest Cleric's damage maximizing Channel Divinity work on the bonus damage from Shriek? Could you dip one level or spend a feat to give Shart magic missile, then use that + the extra missiles items + Shriek to give her a never-miss finishing move that lets her pick off troublesome casters from across the battlefield?

pretty sure this wouldn't work, no, but I can test it out in a bit. iirc the Thunder damage does proc all the various assorted Reverberation effects and stuff if your character is wearing those items

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

There's ~650 gold worth of incense in Shar's temple.

exquisite tea posted:

Makes you wonder why the Disciples of Shar spend so much time on indoctrination and subterfuge when they'd be far more profitable and popular running overpriced dispensaries in Baldur's Gate.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Pellisworth posted:

Another thing that's really handy for Honour mode runs is to keep a supply of Invisbility Potions on hand.

And along with that, use a Hireling to be your potion person so you get a good chance of double prizes each time. I'm at the end of Act 2 in HM and despite looting every loving rotten tomato in the realm and spending very sparingly I only have about 20k gold which isn't going to go far in Act 3 based on what I've seen.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Black Noise posted:

No her plot will still be there and you will get a different internal perspective. But your wife can’t romance her since you’re her. The game will still treat her as a Cleric of Shar. Although I don’t know how the first camp disagreement goes if you’re in control.

I didn’t get Astarions bite or the night scene at the grove camp but I’m in a group of 2 customs and a durge. And the game is buggy despite the praises.

Ohhhh I get what you mean

She wasn't planning on romancing shadowheart anyway. I suppose that also means no voiced cutscenes for the origin character as well of course but I don't think that's a deal breaker

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Feels like the solution to dealing with casters on the other side of the map is to send seven or eight arrows their way in one turn.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Honestly, "send a billion arrows" seems to be a solution to pretty much every "an enemy exists" problem.

I kinda want to see what you can do with a party of Swordbard 6 / [Monk 6, Wizard 6, Rogue 3 Fighter 3, Whatever For Flavor 6]

How many fights would be over in the first round

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 29, 2023

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Ohhhh I get what you mean

She wasn't planning on romancing shadowheart anyway. I suppose that also means no voiced cutscenes for the origin character as well of course but I don't think that's a deal breaker

So that’s where I lost control of my character. Act 2 Astarion and Raphael the game just picked a random companion to put in control and Astarion was using his what I assume are original voice lines. But we’ve been playing since launch so maybe those things are fixed.

What happens if you surrender in act 3 for instance? Might be a goofy game over screen. But you should definitely have some unique Shar interactions since you are in the drivers seat.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Also, all those self-help Shar books are really expensive too. I didn't add them up, but they brought in tons of gold. I usually ignore books too when looking for loot to sell.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

AgentHaiTo posted:

Also, all those self-help Shar books are really expensive too. I didn't add them up, but they brought in tons of gold. I usually ignore books too when looking for loot to sell.

Even sick lore on Dribbles The Clown????????????????????????

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

AgentHaiTo posted:

If you're on PC I can wholeheartedly recommend the Auto Loot Seller mod. You don't get as much gold as selling to a merchant, but you also don't have to worry about inventory weights.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Potato Salad posted:

Honestly, "send a billion arrows" seems to be a solution to pretty much every "an enemy exists" problem.

I kinda want to see what you can do with a party of Swordbard 6 / [Monk 6, Wizard 6, Rogue 3 Fighter 3, Whatever For Flavor 6]

How many fights would be over in the first round

My party in my current tactician run is:

Swords Bard 8/Paladin 2/Fighter 2
Swords bard 6/Spore Druid 2/FIghter 4
Wizard 1/Tempest Cleric 2/Sorcerer 9
Open Hand monk 9/ Thief rogue 3 (tavern Brawler)

and so far the only fights in act 3 that lasted more than 1 round were the House of Healing, which lasted 2 (mostly because the enemies were all spread out) and Ethel (because I was being very careful to rescue the kid and not kill the captain).

Most fights are over after the 2 bards have their turn honestly. Even raphael was only a 1 round fight

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I have... done it... :negative:

Once I got past the Githyanki Creche and a rather sloppy Ketheric fight, the rest was pretty easy. My team was a 6/6 Sorcadin Tav, pure Fighter Lae'zel, Tavern Brawler Karlach, and Bardstarion. Twin Haste with Aura of Protection sounds like it would be OP, and when it worked it worked, but mostly I just found it to be more trouble than it was worth. If any little thing breaks concentration or you're just dumb enough to do it yourself, that's half your party missing their turn. My smiteadin definitely felt like the weakest link, especially toward the end where several crucial fights have Radiant Retort.

Despite some unwelcome outcomes like Shadowheart just straight up dying, I think Honor Mode is the definitive way to play once you've been through the game at least once. Just having to roll with the Luck of the Dice™ injects a little chaos and uncertainty into how your story is going to play out. I got the special Githyanki Lae'zel Romance ending, and it's cool how the epilogue even accounts for this very unlikely outcome. Oh well. Nothing to do now but roll another character!

Awesome!

How'd you handle the house of hope? That's where I lost my run and I want to figure out how to handle it next time.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

I got these two achievements in the same run.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Awesome!

How'd you handle the house of hope? That's where I lost my run and I want to figure out how to handle it next time.

That fight lets you cheat a little bit since you can set things up as you like in the room before the boss man arrives. By that point I had a couple runepowder barrels saved along with some regular smokepowders and decided to use them there since I wasn't exactly sure how the fight was going to go. Popped Globe of Invulnerability and everyone died! Kind of anticlimactic that way.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How much harder is honour mode vs tactician?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

How much harder is honour mode vs tactician?

The boss modifiers aren't the biggest deal, it's harder but not impossible. The Ironman mode is really where things make you be careful one fuckup esp at like Last Light Inn can derail an entire campaign.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
also be really careful using Friends, it will piss off many NPCs and then whoops the druid grove is attacking you

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Here's one better: don't use it at all. It's a famously bad cantrip, and waste of a slot.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
No, it works great in BG3. Just on Honor mode, you need to be far away when the spell deactivates and then there's no downside.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
goddamnit you big red moron your victory rage just wiped the party

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

You'd think people realizing you used Friends on them would just make them initiate the "caught doing crime" guard dialog rather than immediately escalating to violence. So there's still potentially significant consequences but they're not to the point where the spell is worthless against anybody you aren't already planning to kill.

You could even flag the guard dialog to have the guard go agro immediately if you try to use Friends again to talk your way out of it, because that would be kind of funny.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What do you guys think getting Friends'd feels like? Surely it's a pleasurable sensation

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Pellisworth posted:

also be really careful using Friends, it will piss off many NPCs and then whoops the druid grove is attacking you

That happened to me at Last Light Inn. I was very confused Wyll kept being accused of casting magic. On the other hand him getting jailed led me to find the cellar, which I didn't even know existed on other runs.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

What do you guys think getting Friends'd feels like? Surely it's a pleasurable sensation

I don't know but I hope to have friends one day

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Hello everyone! Is there any good guides out there that tells me an optional order of when to do quest so I'm not missing out on things or locking myself out of content?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

Hello everyone! Is there any good guides out there that tells me an optional order of when to do quest so I'm not missing out on things or locking myself out of content?

idk about specific guides but you don't need to worry about order that much, the game pretty explicitly warns you "do sidequests before advancing because this is a point of no return, do you want to proceed yes/no"

There are a few time-sensitive quests but again those are pretty explicitly timed afaik. Like in Act 3 you learn that a character will be executed in a few days.

The big one that isn't marked or indicated is Nere in Act 1. If you long rest in the Grymforge area before rescuing Nere his plot will advance without you. Which is not a big deal at all, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

I love when the die glitches out at random moments!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVncFuFb_QA