Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

man nurse posted:

It’s really good

It’s rare for something with that much hype to live up to it but yeah it absolutely does in this case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

My brother got me BG3 as a late xmas gift :kimchi:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
cobalt core's dialogue has a lot of personality for being so terse. great editing work

"Wow, this is just like my dream!"
TELL ME ABOUT THIS DREAM.
"I dream that I'm saving all my friends... and I have a cool sword!"
YOUR DREAM IS UNRELATED.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

My brother got me BG3 as a late xmas gift :kimchi:

That's a good brother. You can join the other 232,116 people playing right now, five months after release :eyepop:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Played through the Case of the Golden Idol + Spider of Lanka DLC yesterday, fun game. Definitely some of the same vibes as Obra Dinn, but I liked the longer timeline of the story and how certain things became perfunctory to solve later on since a lot of the same characters show up (and how the things to solve became more complex since those base-level things were easy to assume). Kind of a weird story though, with some strange endings to the chapters, but I guess that's partially necessary because otherwise the solutions would be too obvious.

Not as much of a fan of the DLC, felt like a big swerve from the formula that throws you into the deep end of solving things without the same level of base knowledge you build up in the original game. That said, the first case you solve was I think my overall favourite in the entire game.

Totally missed that the second DLC had come out in the summer, might need to take a look at that now...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Phlegmish posted:

That's a good brother. You can join the other 232,116 people playing right now, five months after release :eyepop:

I don't know if I'm more excited for the game or the character creator!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

you'll never end up in a suck vortex

Not with that attitude you won't

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
What's the next cream of the crop in the Vampire Survivors genre? There are so many that sprung up, I don't even know where to begin.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Halls of Torment is cool, I'm not too into VS-likes but I appreciated it because it has gameplay that extends beyond "run away from things while your weapons shoot at them"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"Holocure: Save the Fans" is apparently one of the top-downloaded Steam games of the year so maybe that

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I prefer calling them Crimsonland-likes.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

deep dish peat moss posted:

Halls of Torment is cool, I'm not too into VS-likes but I appreciated it because it has gameplay that extends beyond "run away from things while your weapons shoot at them"

:hmmyes: this one looked me most out of everything else in the genre. Brotato is fun and goofy, but I really like the 90's diablo vibe in HoT.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Eason the Fifth posted:

:hmmyes: this one looked me most out of everything else in the genre. Brotato is fun and goofy, but I really like the 90's diablo vibe in HoT.

Death Must Die is giving me that vibe as well. Which I vastly prefer over the Holocure aesthetic.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

koolkal posted:

I have some leftover keys from this year's Jingle Jam which are supposed to expire in a few days so feel free to take as many as you like. Please add a comment in the sheet on the ones you take.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l2FZWKEAz6FRYhjfTe0Ki7aJig2jO1F9DlZqmaZrbaY/edit?pli=1#gid=0

A Short Hike
Arcade Spirits
Beyond Blue
Cat Quest
Cook, Serve, Delicious! 3?!
DEPLOYMENT
Death and Taxes
EARTHLOCK
Glitch busters
Golfie
Harmony's Odyssey
Homeworld Remastered Collection
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak
Mars Horizon
Patch Quest
Rusty Lake: Hotel
Silicon Zeroes
Tinytopia
Toodee and Topdee
Train Valley 2
Tunguska: The Visitation
We Are The Dwarves
most keys seem to have been grabbed as people said before (I tried Harmony's Odyssey), but I was able to grab Glitch Busters. it was a demo I didn't love (it's kinda like Splatoon single-player except co-op) but I'm still willing to give it a play in 2024. so, thanks!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bumhead posted:

Picked up Disco Elysium.

I don’t generally play CRPG’s or point and click stuff.. barely RPG’s in general. Probably haven’t played a PC-rear end CRPG since the 90’s. But it’s a genre I want to get into more.

Lost 3 hours to it this afternoon that totally flew by. This is incredible. There is a phone call exchange quite early doors that had me howling with laughter.

Yeah it is actually as good as people say it is.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Shadow Gambit is good but I really dont need all the extra crap in between missions. put it all in cutscene I can skip rather than running around triggering cutscenes. the missions are also a lot easier and shorter than Shadow Tactics or Desperados but no one else is making games like these (and they arent either any more) so I'll take what I can get

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Jack Trades posted:

I prefer calling them Crimsonland-likes.

This is too close to Crimson Skies-likes and now I miss Crimson Skies. :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vampire Survivors is the only one of those worth looking at imo

And also Crimsonland

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
*laughs like a Smash TV boss*

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

I prefer calling them Deathstate-likes.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
drat I got pseudoregalia on a "this isn't my kind of game at all but I want to know more about it and I'll refund it" lark and now I'm like 6 hours in

I cannot stress how much I hate 3D platformers - especially goddamn Mario 64 - and yet I am incredibly charmed by this game. Makes me want to check out more new games in this genre. Maybe I just hated antiquated lives systems and overly strict fall penalties, neither of which this has.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I was sure I would hate Midnight Suns but actually I was wrong and it is pretty cool

The cutscene to gameplay ratio leans way too hard into cutscenes right now (2 post-prologue missions in) but hopefully that will change

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

abraham linksys posted:

drat I got pseudoregalia on a "this isn't my kind of game at all but I want to know more about it and I'll refund it" lark and now I'm like 6 hours in

I cannot stress how much I hate 3D platformers - especially goddamn Mario 64 - and yet I am incredibly charmed by this game. Makes me want to check out more new games in this genre. Maybe I just hated antiquated lives systems and overly strict fall penalties, neither of which this has.

Play Mario Odyssey. It's the largely uncontested best platformer. No lives, free warping around levels, approachable but with an incredibly high skill ceiling, and an unbelievable amount of content. It's one of the best dopamine inducers mankind has ever produced.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Ragequit posted:

What's the next cream of the crop in the Vampire Survivors genre? There are so many that sprung up, I don't even know where to begin.

Nordic Ashes

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I've been playing a lot of Nordic Ashes lately. It's an auto-shooter (as everything seems to be these days), but unlike Vampire Survivors, it has character skill trees reminiscent of Skyrim which allow you to plan out your build each run.
The grind for all the different costumes is a little annoying, but the character art is so nice that it's worth it.
Also the shopkeeper, Gnöki, is adorable.

Edit: Apparently it's my 3rd most-played game this year, right after Risk: Global Domination and MechWarrior Online.

The Mighty Moltres fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 30, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Bardbarian is kind of a Vampire Survivors-like. Your orbitals (in this case folks you recruit) automatically shoot and stuff. It's not really exactly the same, but I think it scratches the same itch?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
EDIT: Nevermind!

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 30, 2023

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
What's the deal with Humankind? I enjoy Civ VI but I am somewhat bored with it at this point because I've fallen into the rut of having an optimized play style and I've been playing the series for almost 2 decades so it's getting a bit samey.

I've played Endless Space 1 & 2 and while they didn't blow me away, it was entertaining enough, so I've been considering trying their other stuff.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

deep dish peat moss posted:

I was sure I would hate Midnight Suns but actually I was wrong and it is pretty cool

The cutscene to gameplay ratio leans way too hard into cutscenes right now (2 post-prologue missions in) but hopefully that will change
I bought it too after people talked about it in this thread, so we'll see. I like turn based combat, but not sure on the rest. I also bought Rimworld so not sure if I'll even get around to playing Midnight Suns.

I mainly got Rimworld because I put 100 hours in to Stranded Alien Dawn, and Rimworld is just significantly better in every way except for graphics. The art style was the main thing putting me off on it, but it's great.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I bought cobalt core because people were talking about it and it seems pretty neat. It's like half way between slay the spire and into the breach.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

McKracken posted:

What's the deal with Humankind? I enjoy Civ VI but I am somewhat bored with it at this point because I've fallen into the rut of having an optimized play style and I've been playing the series for almost 2 decades so it's getting a bit samey.

I've played Endless Space 1 & 2 and while they didn't blow me away, it was entertaining enough, so I've been considering trying their other stuff.

It's unfortunately not great. Amplitude's at their best when they're creating unique and wild worlds so it's kind of bizarre that they decided to do a historical 4x game. The structure of the game where you essentially pick a completely new civilization/culture to be several times per game leaves every playthrough feeling pretty generic with no real factional identity, and it doesn't do anything that's particularly gripping. It can be fun for a single playthrough but even in the Humankind thread people will tell you they never really saw a reason to play it more than once.

It's on Gamepass and playing it there makes more sense than buying it.

From the sounds of it you might like Old World quite a bit more as a good historical 4x game that allows you to escape meta optimized play, it's sort of like Crusader Kings as a 4x game - more focused on roleplaying elements than optimized 4x mechanics.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Old World definitely looks like something I could easily sink 50 hours into without realizing - thanks!

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I played Humankind on gamepass once and while I was amenable to some of its ideas I found it incredibly tedious to try to play. Maybe patches improved it, but yeah it didn't really play to Amplitude's usual strengths

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
The Skull and Bones beta left me wanting to play a game focused on sailing, ship combat and loot. But are there any? From what I've read, Sid Meier's Pirates! is apparently still the pinnacle of the genre 20 years later and the only game that comes vaguely close is Sea of Thieves, which is multiplayer focused.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah big Amplitude enjoyer here and I was on a major Civ kick when Humankind was announced so I was super hyped, but it just fell flat for me. Everything deep dish peat moss said is spot on with my experience -- the "build your own civ" idea sounds cool but ends up kind of sapping the identity out of a run

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Det_no posted:

The Skull and Bones beta left me wanting to play a game focused on sailing, ship combat and loot. But are there any? From what I've read, Sid Meier's Pirates! is apparently still the pinnacle of the genre 20 years later and the only game that comes vaguely close is Sea of Thieves, which is multiplayer focused.

I don't know too much about Sea of Thieves outside of watching my old roommate play it a bit but it's my understanding one of the recent updates added a more single-player focused game mode that lets you do your own thing with NPCs

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I still don't get what people see in Halls of Torment, but maybe the demo is just a poor representation of the full game.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't know if I'm more excited for the game or the character creator!

The character creator is *so good*. The different kinds of dragonborn alone!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

HopperUK posted:

The character creator is *so good*. The different kinds of dragonborn alone!

I do hope some later content update adds more animations when your mute player character is interacting in a conversation. Kinda jarring that everyone else shows nuanced facial expressions and body movement while you’re just going :colbert:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

goferchan posted:

I don't know too much about Sea of Thieves outside of watching my old roommate play it a bit but it's my understanding one of the recent updates added a more single-player focused game mode that lets you do your own thing with NPCs

I'd be curious to know more about that (and if it's any fun); I was also intrigued by sea of thieves but I don't really do multiplayer co-op stuff either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'd be curious to know more about that (and if it's any fun); I was also intrigued by sea of thieves but I don't really do multiplayer co-op stuff either

yeah it was fun to good around sailing but I never really could relax. there was always the latent fear of some rando pvp'er finding you. this led to some cool battles but sometimes I wanted to just gently caress around