Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

for me the closest is probably Mothra vs. Godzilla > Ghidrah the Three-Headed Monster > Invasion of the Astro Monster.

you could maybe make an argument for The Return of Godzilla > Godzilla vs. Biollante > Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah? I'm not that hot on The Return of Godzilla though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The correct trilogy is Godzilla 2014 -> Shin Godzilla -> Kong Skull Island

There's really not much of a gulf in quality between the Heisei Godzillas and the Heisei Gameras, overall. I think it's just that the Gamera films are more conventionally good, and there are only three of them so it's an easier watch.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve always thought the Heisei Gameras had more impressive suit work and FX than the majority of the Heisei Godzillas, and when you combine that with a) better human plots and b) the bizarre Gamera tradition of being atypically gory for these kinds of movies it’s easy to see why someone would rank all three of them above their Godzilla contemporaries.

Even Gamera the Brave is pretty charming, even though it’s a decade later and way more of a kid’s movie.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Heisei Gamera gets a bit of a bump in its grade for the fact that they look at LEAST as good as Godzilla movies from the same time period while having about half the budget. They put the legwork into the cinematography to make everything look grand and portentious, while Heisei Godzillas could sometimes look a bit ropey, partly because they made Godzilla so loving big that the miniature models had to be scaled down even tinier and less detailed so they kinda looked like toy cities sometimes.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Guardian of the Universe fuckin' moves, it's the perfect high and tight kaiju flick. Attack of Legion is platonic '50s sci-fi with monster problem solving + Gamera and ends with the excellent battle on the tarmac. Iris loses me a little bit but I'd rather a movie be too ambitious than not. As a trilogy they skillfully build on the idea of Gamera's "protector" status and how much that might include us based on our actions.

They absolutely kick '90s Godzilla up and down the block but I am enjoying the Heisei reappraisal itt.

Asterite34 posted:

Heisei Gamera gets a bit of a bump in its grade for the fact that they look at LEAST as good as Godzilla movies from the same time period while having about half the budget. They put the legwork into the cinematography to make everything look grand and portentious, while Heisei Godzillas could sometimes look a bit ropey, partly because they made Godzilla so loving big that the miniature models had to be scaled down even tinier and less detailed so they kinda looked like toy cities sometimes.

Yeah, too much of the '90s Godzilla looks like lazy composites of monsters behind the skyline (though it works some of the time!) or indifferent shots of them gurning at each other on these huge but chintzy looking sets. There's gotta be something about how they shot them too because everything works pretty well at the climax of GvKG with the tax tower set piece, and Godzilla and Mecha KG really mix it up, but then in Godzilla vs Mothra the fairground just looks blah and I've already said the landscape shots in Mechagodzilla II are atrocious. Spacegodzilla has some really nice work with Godzilla on the island but then there's the styrofoam asteroid field.

I promise I actually like Godzilla movies.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Oh yeah, I did notice that a lot of the shots in Space Godzilla weren’t very concerned with emphasizing size or establishing scale. There’s a lot at eye level with Godzilla. And once you get to Fukuoka it’s just a straight up cage match.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I rewatched KOTM tonight, I only watched it when it came out but I liked it more on rewatch. I was hoping that it would shed some clarity on whatever the heck is going on in the Monarch TV show but it absolutely didn't help there.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gripweed posted:

OK I finished Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla. The first half or so is not good. There's all these baffling subplots that go nowhere, like the psychic lady getting kidnapped and the guy who thinks he can kill Godzilla by shooting him with a bullet.

I also really want to call out the music in the first Godzilla appearance. Godzilla is unambiguously the good guy in this movie. His first appearance is preceded by a long sequence of playing around with his kid who is bigger but somehow way more babylike now. Godzilla is arriving at an uninhabited island where he poses no danger to anyone.

It's like they turned the first few episodes of DBZ into a kaiju movie. Spacegodzilla is Raditzilla.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bip Roberts posted:

I rewatched KOTM tonight, I only watched it when it came out but I liked it more on rewatch. I was hoping that it would shed some clarity on whatever the heck is going on in the Monarch TV show but it absolutely didn't help there.

I started watching it again for the first time in a year or so last night and I forgot how much all of the characters are completely unlikable and worst of all they put in a quippy scientist to ride the Rick & Morty wave.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Imagine if they made Professor Noda into a quippy scientist.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Biollante really didn’t do anything for me as a kid who wanted to watch monster mash but poo poo it’s really good. Time to start working my way through the Heisei era for the first time in a long time.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Final Wars does in fact suck rear end

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Godzilla battles a McDonald's Mecha would it be called McJaguar

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

Nodoze posted:

Final Wars does in fact suck rear end

How is everybody misspelling "kick" so consistently, is this an in-joke I'm not getting?

I jest of course, Final Wars is... Just the right kind of insane for me. Like, it's Kitamura (both of them) going nuts, post-Matrix cool rubbing awkwardly up against Showa era silliness, Minilla getting driven about in a van, inexplicable Don Frye with a sword. It's bananas and it's not GOOD, but I enjoy it a lot.

MuddyFunster fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 28, 2023

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Yeah, too much of the '90s Godzilla looks like lazy composites of monsters behind the skyline (though it works some of the time!) or indifferent shots of them gurning at each other on these huge but chintzy looking sets. There's gotta be something about how they shot them too because everything works pretty well at the climax of GvKG with the tax tower set piece, and Godzilla and Mecha KG really mix it up, but then in Godzilla vs Mothra the fairground just looks blah and I've already said the landscape shots in Mechagodzilla II are atrocious. Spacegodzilla has some really nice work with Godzilla on the island but then there's the styrofoam asteroid field.

Something to keep in mind is that compositing monsters into the skyline and gigantic ‘cheap-looking’ landscape sets were a feature of the Showa films as well - and it didn’t really matter. What does matter is the direction of the scenes, and it’s important not to treat things as a monolith. The Godzilla “Versus Series” is made up of seven films by four different directors.

Godzilla Vs. Mothra was Takao Okawara’s first kaiju film, and also a more lighthearted entry where the movie is primarily a Spielbergian family drama about a divorced couple getting back together. The final action scene is presented largely from the perspective of the family as they spectate the fight from the top of a nearby - but safely distant - building, while the monsters work out their issues. So the final monster battle scene is effectively being performed for the benefit of the protagonists as they watch from across a section of Tokyo Bay. Many of the shots are, directly, the POV of these characters - or even have the family composited into the shot to remind that they’re watching. The movie’s very low-stakes in that way, despite dialogue about the apocalypse. The decision to set the final battle in the recently-opened Cosmo World amusement park (for thematic reasons) also means that they’re depicting a small peninsula with no tall buildings on or surrounding it, aside from the nearby Landmark Tower - which they do blow up rather nicely.

When you get to Okawara’s next film with Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla, things are already markedly better; the compositing is often seamless and the pyrotechnic effects deployed throughout are nuts. But both these films are already kinda ballsy for intercutting real location footage with the model replicas, or even combining the two in a given shot.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 29, 2023

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Some things to keep in mind is that compositing monsters into the skyline and gigantic ‘cheap-looking’ landscape sets were a feature of the Showa films as well - and it didn’t really matter. What does matter is the direction of the scenes, and it’s important not to treat things as a monolith. The Godzilla “Versus Series” is made up of seven films by four different directors.

Godzilla Vs. Mothra was Takao Okawara’s first kaiju film, and also a more lighthearted entry where the movie is primarily a Spielbergian family drama about a divorced couple getting back together. The final action scene is presented largely from the perspective of the family as they spectate the fight from the top of a nearby - but safely distant - building, while the monsters work out their issues. So the final monster battle scene is effectively being performed for the benefit of the protagonists as they watch from across a section of Tokyo Bay. Many of the shots are, directly, the POV of these characters - or even have the family composited into the shot to remind that they’re watching. The movie’s very low-stakes in that way, despite dialogue about the apocalypse. The decision to set the final battle in the recently-opened Cosmo World amusement park (for thematic reasons) means that they’re depicting a small island with no tall buildings on or surrounding it, aside from the nearby Landmark Tower - which they do blow up rather nicely.

When you get to Okawara’s next film with Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla, things are already markedly better; the compositing is often seamless and the pyrotechnic effects deployed throughout are nuts. But both these films are already kinda ballsy for intercutting real location footage with the model replicas, or even combining the two in a given shot.

appreciate this thoughtful post, thank you!

there's a nice shot in Godzilla vs Mothra where Battra knocks some poo poo down onto the fleeing extras which reminds me of similar shots in Gorgo and Gamera GOTU. i will say it seems like every godzilla film no matter the era has one dud shot that just doesn't work, like mothra vs godzilla 1964's very weird fuzzy composites of godzilla and the city.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
For me, the best three-in-a-row are Terror of Mechadodzilla-->Return of Godzilla-->Godzilla vs Biollante.

Last Hurrah, Glorious Return, Giant Psychic Imperfect Plant Clone With a Wrestlemania Entrance Fights Probably My Platonic Ideal of a Godzilla Design.

Another neat sequence is King Kong vs Godzilla (It's really loving fun)-->Mothra vs Godzilla-->Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster.

I think Monster Zero is a better movie than GtTHM but if you're binge-watching in sequence, the stock footage really stands out.

Desumaytah fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 28, 2023

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Imagine if they made Professor Noda into a quippy scientist.

No

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve always thought the Heisei Gameras had more impressive suit work and FX than the majority of the Heisei Godzillas, and when you combine that with a) better human plots and b) the bizarre Gamera tradition of being atypically gory for these kinds of movies it’s easy to see why someone would rank all three of them above their Godzilla contemporaries.

Even Gamera the Brave is pretty charming, even though it’s a decade later and way more of a kid’s movie.

The worst Gamera movie is a mid tier godzilla movie. The new Gamera anime series is pretty drat good too.

e: I take that back, i forgot about Super Monster

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 29, 2023

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Showa Gamera gets pretty dire, Zigra feels like being stuck in an event horizon.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Yeah i have rose coloured Gamera glasses. He's the protector of children.

Still, Gamera doesn't deserve the shabby treatment Godzilla fans give him

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
something fun I noticed watching Gamera vs Guiron in HD is that the giant screen Daiei used for rear projections has a big ol' defect in it:

They're doing their best!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Yeah i have rose coloured Gamera glasses. He's the protector of children.

Still, Gamera doesn't deserve the shabby treatment Godzilla fans give him

he's a workin' turtle!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

something fun I noticed watching Gamera vs Guiron in HD is that the giant screen Daiei used for rear projections has a big ol' defect in it:

this rules so much lol

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Guiron's such a fun goofball of a kaiju. I love his laugh.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Gamera director Noriaki Yuasa posted:

Unlike Toho, Daiei had no in-house film developing laboratory. It also had no optical laboratory. So, I'd have to calculate the exact cost of development and optical work. I remember that each time Gaos used his sound beam in GAMERA VS. GAOS, it cost Y3,500.

Noriaki Yuasa posted:

The two [90s Gamera] films are too dramatic. For example, there is no need for Asagi's cheek to be cut in GAMERA - THE GUARDIAN OF THE UNIVERSE. There's also no need for Gamera to be the guardian of the universe.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

The screen they use gets worse with more tears and visible creases with each movie, it's wild

Super Monster is a lot of fun if it's your only Gamera movie. Watching it immediately after the rest is a bad time, but I still kind of love the space ladies

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 29, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1uFNk2Nu-Q

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://x.com/nebsgoodtakes/status/1740527346648822235?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Final Wars might be the most early aughts movie made that isnt an American Pie sequel

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Artwork for the McJaguar, which is what I shall be calling the McDonalds Godzilla Mecha from now on.

https://twitter.com/McDonaldsJapan/status/1740658916491444441?t=EJZHRuC9CNPlgHkrNcmckg&s=19

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

I can't decide if I hate the Millennium movies more than 98 or not but it is close

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
2000 and MegaGuirus are the only genuinely bad Millennium movies. The rest are either good or just average.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

2000 and MegaGuirus are the only genuinely bad Millennium movies. The rest are either good or just average.

i don't really think either of those are bad. i'd go so far as to call Megaguiras good.

GMK is kind of all I need from the Millenium series though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe I should have listened to the Minus One soundtrack on Spotify rather than Youtube. Now I'm getting dozens of "Minus One DESTROYS Woke Hollywood movies!" recommendations and I'm all like "no thanks, I'm good."

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Arc Hammer posted:

Maybe I should have listened to the Minus One soundtrack on Spotify rather than Youtube. Now I'm getting dozens of "Minus One DESTROYS Woke Hollywood movies!" recommendations and I'm all like "no thanks, I'm good."

Oh I share your misery in that.
Still a great soundtrack at least.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

...do they think Minus One was not, as they routinely gnash their teeth about how the wokes destroying all media is, Political?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dawgstar posted:

...do they think Minus One was not, as they routinely gnash their teeth about how the wokes destroying all media is, Political?

No because you see Japan is a deeply conservative country and therefore

At least that's how I assume the videos start because I sure as poo poo am not watching that stuff. I get enough of those assumptions about Japan via twitter.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Arc Hammer posted:

Don’t die for imperialism. A true conservative value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

no one is gay or black so it’s anti woke, duh!! you’ve been owned, disney!