Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In my headcanon, the night sentinels rescued the doom slayer from being trapped under the ceiling that fell on him after he plasmaed at the cyberdemon who had fired the rocket missiles at him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Name Change posted:

I find the World of Warcraft poo poo they added in Doom Eternal to be the worst thing about it, Doom doesn't need lore

thats why you hammer that skip button

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

thats why you hammer that skip button

Hammer it like you're rocketing that last pinkie horde in Ukuplok.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The 7th Guest posted:

i am at the end of ch1 in blood west and i don't know if my opinion's really changed. i have had more success stealthing and headshotting, but it's never felt like i've been able to define my own playstyle. no matter what perks you choose, it can't make up for the level design being as bad as it is. like the watchtower, for example, where there is only a single spiral path up to the tower, and it's littered with enemies. there is no back way to the tower, and the distraction pebble is not super useful unless you plan to spend like 10 minutes slowly and methodically leading enemies down the path and then away from the path (because they quickly turn back around after checking the pebble). maybe the other chapters are better about this? but the final sequence in chapter 1 is pretty brutal. you have to shoot a bunch of seeds that bring the boss's health down to 50% before fighting them (and this knowledge is given to you only if you 100% chapter 1), but it's a really long section with a ton of enemies, who all respawn on death -- which isn't the case anywhere else in the world. and there are times where it's just a straight shoot in pathing so you can't really sneak around them. i just don't understand the design decisions made at nearly every turn

Honestly it sounds like it's not for you. It's an "immersive stealth" fps, not an immersive sim, so it's got a very focused gameplay style centered around survival horror, sneaking around, headshotting (or weakspotting, since there are a number of enemies who get worse if you headshot them) things, etc. There are perks but there's generally an intention of playing the game a certain way--at least until later chapters where you've got a bunch of different unique weapons and charms to try out some novelties I suppose.

I'm in Chapter 3 right now and I've had a lot of fun with it.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 30, 2023

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

site posted:

It's only $1.64 (I see what they did there) on steam right now

I'm pretty sure I've got it already, somewhere (GOG?) the problem is finding time to play all the games I have.

Idk, my daughter's been getting into Doom, maybe we can play through 64 together sometime.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Unfortunately by the time you truly come to terms with it being not for you you may be well past the 2 hour return window on steam lol

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Milo and POTUS posted:

Unfortunately by the time you truly come to terms with it being not for you you may be well past the 2 hour return window on steam lol

Oh most definitely

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

haveblue posted:

In my headcanon, the night sentinels rescued the doom slayer from being trapped under the ceiling that fell on him after he plasmaed at the cyberdemon who had fired the rocket missiles at him

I think this too and I think it was a missed opportunity that his first line wasn't "No! I must kill the demons!"

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Groovelord Neato posted:

They shoulda based the new games off the books.

The screams from gamers when Arlene Sanders rolls up with the chaingun would be heard from orbit

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh most definitely
yea i put in 6 hours already, but besides that, i got it in early access a year ago and waited for it to hit 1.0 before playing it. maybe i should change my mind about that stance and play more EA games while they're in progress

but I maintain that the game is not well designed for stealth, I just think the world design is straight up bad.

meanwhile

https://twitter.com/DominicTarason/status/1740897503052980296

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If I buy a gift for someone on steam who hasn't been on in months and likely wont be on for some more, will it let them know conspicuously the next time they get on?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Milo and POTUS posted:

If I buy a gift for someone on steam who hasn't been on in months and likely wont be on for some more, will it let them know conspicuously the next time they get on?

pretty sure they'll get an email to whatever address they sign in to steam with

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

The 7th Guest posted:

yea i put in 6 hours already, but besides that, i got it in early access a year ago and waited for it to hit 1.0 before playing it. maybe i should change my mind about that stance and play more EA games while they're in progress

but I maintain that the game is not well designed for stealth, I just think the world design is straight up bad.

meanwhile

https://twitter.com/DominicTarason/status/1740897503052980296

this looks sick. how do i load the three different wads in GZdoom?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

However you normally add a WAD to run in GZDoom, just select and add all three at the same time instead. If it asks you what order to load them in, NERF.wad goes first, then the other two (doesn’t matter which one is second.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Arivia posted:

However you normally add a WAD to run in GZDoom, just select and add all three at the same time instead. If it asks you what order to load them in, NERF.wad goes first, then the other two (doesn’t matter which one is second.)

thanks for the quick reply!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

They'll get an email immediately and a pop-up notification when they next load the client.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Honestly, I've been using batch files for a while because it's so much simpler and more straight-forward to just open a text editor and type in a few words than to mess with launcher programs.

code:
gzdoom -iwad doom2.wad -file nerf.wad nerf-widescreen.wad nerf-easier-patch.wad

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Doctor Bishop posted:

Honestly, I've been using batch files for a while because it's so much simpler and more straight-forward to just open a text editor and type in a few words than to mess with launcher programs.

code:
gzdoom -iwad doom2.wad -file nerf.wad nerf-widescreen.wad nerf-easier-patch.wad

I've been using the launchbox frontend for this myself. Add a game, point it to the gzdoom (or whatever sourceport you use), then in the command line parameters add the necessary info. If you keep your wads in individual folders, you can also tell gzdoom to use a specific config file and save directory with the -config [filelname] and -savedir [directory] commands. It also allows you to add metadata and images, so you can build a somewhat impressive looking collection.

Of course when researching this I just learned about Doom Launcher, which I'll be trying out now.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
You can also drag and drop the WAD file onto the EXE usually, too.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

HKR posted:

I've been using the launchbox frontend for this myself. Add a game, point it to the gzdoom (or whatever sourceport you use), then in the command line parameters add the necessary info. If you keep your wads in individual folders, you can also tell gzdoom to use a specific config file and save directory with the -config [filelname] and -savedir [directory] commands. It also allows you to add metadata and images, so you can build a somewhat impressive looking collection.

Of course when researching this I just learned about Doom Launcher, which I'll be trying out now.

I use ZDL, myself. https://zdoom.org/wiki/ZDL
It's nice to enable or disable some mods, select sourceports and iwads with a pair of clicks.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HKR posted:

For Doom Launcher there's a minor catch that's not immediately visible, you need to add this mod to your loadout to get statistics tracked properly for final levels: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2746869

but yeah, it's the kind of overkill option but once you get used to it, it's also incredibly powerful/easy to use.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i've been using qzdl for years, that doom launcher looks really complicated

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I use ZDL3 on my deck!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

site posted:

whatever could you possibly mean i just needed to add "Final Level Stats (fixed) (For Real) (USE THIS ONE)" to my loadout right now

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

site posted:

Yeah, I'm a fan of QLZD too. Just incredibly easy to use.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

site posted:

i've been using qzdl for years

Same

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
i'm still using zdl3 tbh

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I just launch everything from the command prompt and if there's a lot of stuff to add I make a batch file. It's always 1996 in my Doom directory

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Volte posted:

I just launch everything from the command prompt and if there's a lot of stuff to add I make a batch file. It's always 1996 in my Doom directory

Yeah… I have an entire snapshot of /idgames from a long time ago for my old WAD needs and grab them piecemeal if they’re relatively new. All my WADs are added on the command line unless I’m daisy-chaining a bunch of things together, in which case I’ll bodge together a dumb dirty bash shell.

Any thoughts on what weapon set from Final Doomer’s best for Eviternity II?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I like Doom Lore when it's only as deep as like to open a new portal to hell we will need to get the rune of torment from the blood witches of the sea of razors or some poo poo with some words that sound cool and then it just moves on and doesn't elaborate. Like, drat that sounds sick, anyway

Edit: Like the demon voice guy growling IN THE FIRST AGE IN THE FIRST BATTLE about some poo poo that sounds cool but doesn't mean anything is exactly the level of lore I want.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Maybe it's just me getting old and impatient but I find even ZDL too convoluted to bother with anymore compared to just running the Unity port of Doom even if that limits me to just what's been officially released for that version

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Glagha posted:

I like Doom Lore when it's only as deep as like to open a new portal to hell we will need to get the rune of torment from the blood witches of the sea of razors or some poo poo with some words that sound cool and then it just moves on and doesn't elaborate. Like, drat that sounds sick, anyway

Edit: Like the demon voice guy growling IN THE FIRST AGE IN THE FIRST BATTLE about some poo poo that sounds cool but doesn't mean anything is exactly the level of lore I want.

I mean, this is canon anyway - Doomguy pretty much just walks up to anyone spouting poo poo about the lore/history/anything, and just removes their loving head in a new, interesting manner.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The best doom lore is "oh god, they opened a portal to hell and demons came through, slaughtering all your comrades. They know you're here. There's no turning back now."

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Not Even Remotely Fair kicks rear end but I am tapping out for now at map 3, I know it's within my power to complete but I don't have the energy right now to route this.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hasturtium posted:

Any thoughts on what weapon set from Final Doomer’s best for Eviternity II?

I haven’t played it personally yet but it includes at least one new weapon. Don’t use Final Doomer.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Arivia posted:

I haven’t played it personally yet but it includes at least one new weapon. Don’t use Final Doomer.

Oh, I’ve encountered the new weapon - absolutely, positively the best burst fire weapon I’ve found in any Doom mod in years, maybe ever - but I’d still like to have a go after Eviternity II’s polish has worn off.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Did you know Perfect Dark was set in the distant, futuristic year of 2023?

https://twitter.com/FlippinDingDong/status/1738783732755013763

Worth noting that the fan-made PC port is in a really, really good state, and is even currently working on online play. Which isn't in a safe-for-human-consumption state, to be fair, but the work continues and I look forward to seeing how it pans out.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

Did you know Perfect Dark was set in the distant, futuristic year of 2023?

https://twitter.com/FlippinDingDong/status/1738783732755013763

Worth noting that the fan-made PC port is in a really, really good state, and is even currently working on online play. Which isn't in a safe-for-human-consumption state, to be fair, but the work continues and I look forward to seeing how it pans out.

yeah we're only a few years from the events of call of duty: black ops ii which featured cloaking devices, drone swarms and a female president

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

drrockso20 posted:

Maybe it's just me getting old and impatient but I find even ZDL too convoluted to bother with anymore compared to just running the Unity port of Doom even if that limits me to just what's been officially released for that version

Right. I’d like an In-game map browser + downloader. This years Cacowards should appear in a recommended list. I think I’d posted about this before but I’d like to have Mario Maker’s level browser that gives me a list of top maps, new and notable maps, and lets me share feedback about those maps

The maps that appear in the Bethesda Unity port are probably maintained by one person who’s gone off to different projects. And even then, I think having to ‘enable’ a map pack is an awkward situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Coffee Jones posted:

The maps that appear in the Bethesda Unity port are probably maintained by one person who’s gone off to different projects. And even then, I think having to ‘enable’ a map pack is an awkward situation
I believe they're maintained by our own Spongeh? But also, since Bethesda's hosting them so they can put at least some mods on console (a subject that console platform holders are still pretty antsy on so a bunch of arbitrary restrictions have to be thrown up to make them happy), they have to deal with copyright stuff, which Doom mods are, traditionally, pretty lax about.