Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

DoubleT2172 posted:

Depends on where your ceiling lights are. I love tilt to be sure the screen won't reflect the light cans in my kitchen when turned on

Huh, I had never considered tilt as a way to compensate for glare. We don't use ceiling lighting, but we do have pendant lights off to one side near the kitchen. The TV will also be directly across from a window (no direct sun, though).

kri kri posted:

What kind of tv? Different viewing angles for different models. Rtings lists a score for viewing abngles or at least used to.

Sony X90L. Reviews say it has sub par viewing angles, so that's not a bad point. Having said that, our room layout makes off angle viewing pretty unlikely which is why I'm second guessing the tilt/swivel mount I bought.

It's not even a money saving thing. I'm just wondering if I'll wish it looked sleeker when contemplating a mount whose features I may never use. Or maybe I won't even notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Been trying to search, and not sure if they don't make this or I'm using the wrong terms. At my parents house, they have a long mantle that takes up most of a wall. There is a recessed cutout that is square shaped that you used to put a CRT or a small flat screen TV in. I'm wanting to get them a bigger TV, as their current 40" is like 20 years old at this point. However, the cutout is only big enough for the 40". It's too deep to mount an extendable mount to the back wall, so I am wondering if there's a mount that installs on the underside of a surface and then holds a tv basically up in the air. Wouldn't be going huge, probably 47-50 inches.

Mantelmount where when you have it pulled down it’s sorta centered over the cutout? And you can raise up the mount to get access to your secret new storage cubby.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Dogen posted:

Mantelmount where when you have it pulled down it’s sorta centered over the cutout? And you can raise up the mount to get access to your secret new storage cubby.
Yeah, I looked at those. Problem is they still require a vertical (wall) surface to mount to. What I need is something that can mount to a horizontal surface.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I only just now, after both Black Friday and Xmas, decided that I’m ready to upgrade to an OLED. Are there still deals going on? If not, what brand should I watch for deals from if I want true OLED - Samsung, Sony, Hisense, LG?

And how much of a tradeoff would a non-OLED be, if I went for something like TCL series 6? My parents bought one of those, and it’s pretty fuckin nice, but apparently it’s QLED and not OLED.

Considering a 65”, if that matters.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 27, 2023

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Wait for a superb owl oled sale

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I've got an alert on 65" Samsung S90C prices and it's been groan-inducing to observe the price vs. how it's marketed. Effectively unchanged since October at a couple dollars under $1600, but the ads (and ads disguised as "news") my phone surfaces to my feed all spout it as if it's a fresh, short-time discount rather than the baseline. Rarely, the price has actually jumped up to $2200 for a couple minutes before coming right back down. This is, of course, something I've known for ages is standard practice, but I'm still rolling my eyes observing it more directly.

After giving myself permission to buy a new TV when the urge really struck back in October, it seems to have alleviated the urge to actually pull the trigger, so I'm still rocking my 47", 1080p LED from 2014. Maybe CES will turn up something exciting.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
What are some good tv’s that are 80" to 85" and less than $3k (preferably closer to $2k) right now?

My father’s current tv, which is a 82" Samsung that he bought in 2018, has a logic board issue preventing external audio (using a soundbar) from functioning according to a tech that came out to look at it. And said it would cost about $800 plus labor to replace.

80"+ is a hard requirement. Mostly sports and streaming (shows & movies). Bright-ish living space with (IMO terrible reflection potential). And the seating positions are fairly wide but not terrible either.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Did I just read Sharp OLED on the last page?

Our house is small and annoying which holds true for our bedroom as well. The TV can only be mounted sideways relative to the bed which means we have to tilt it out when we want to use it and then back in to the wall when we're done so my wife doesn't brain herself against it when getting up to pee during the night or whatever. Would love to have some sort of powered ceiling mount that either tilts down or pockets right up into the ceiling if such a thing exists. All quite ridiculous for the 3 hours a month the thing gets used.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sounds like someone needs that LG series that folds into the table.

Or just get a UST projector and powered screen.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

xgalaxy posted:

What are some good tv’s that are 80" to 85" and less than $3k (preferably closer to $2k) right now?

My father’s current tv, which is a 82" Samsung that he bought in 2018, has a logic board issue preventing external audio (using a soundbar) from functioning according to a tech that came out to look at it. And said it would cost about $800 plus labor to replace.

80"+ is a hard requirement. Mostly sports and streaming (shows & movies). Bright-ish living space with (IMO terrible reflection potential). And the seating positions are fairly wide but not terrible either.

Best Buy has a good sale on a nicely rated Hisense one. Check this page and find whichever one fits into your budget best:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/80-83-85-inch

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

xgalaxy posted:

Lg oled

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Televisions Thread: Lg oled

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The 85s are under 3k now? I know the 77s are but drat.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'd get an 85" and fuckin figure it out if it was under $3k.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GreenNight posted:

I'd get an 85" and fuckin figure it out if it was under $3k.

As someone with a 77, I am qualified to say 85 is a big fuckin tv.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

Televisions Thread: Lg oled

It’s this

Best Buy had the lg for 4k

Stretch the budget a bit

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I almost want my 65" C6 to die so I could justify getting an 83" and wall mount it.

7+ years and still going strong. 17093 hours and counting.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I almost want my 65" C6 to die so I could justify getting an 83" and wall mount it.

Wonder how long my cx65 is gonna last

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...

bull3964 posted:

Holy poo poo, that's a lot.

My CX65 developed issues at 3 years and 5851 hours.

Part of me wishes I sized up with the new C3 but I didn't feel like spending more.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheOneVader posted:

Holy poo poo, that's a lot.

My CX65 developed issues at 3 years and 5851 hours.

Part of me wishes I sized up with the new C3 but I didn't feel like spending more.

I got a C3 65" for black Friday and it's been great.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My B9 has some major burn in but you only see it during orange scenes, so almost all the loving time in Fury Road.

Eventually it'll get bad enough I'll need to replace.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...

GreenNight posted:

My B9 has some major burn in but you only see it during orange scenes, so almost all the loving time in Fury Road.

Eventually it'll get bad enough I'll need to replace.

I'm curious, what is burned into the screen? News chyrons, computer desktop elements, or something else?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

TheOneVader posted:

I'm curious, what is burned into the screen? News chyrons, computer desktop elements, or something else?

loving Netflix logo from the FireStick. My firestick was set to go to screensaver after 10 mins and apparently that was much too long.

I have a Shield now.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I'm in the market for a 4k TV which is going to be wall-mounted, and as this is going to be the biggest TV we've had by far (we're looking for something 85 inches plus) I'm a little concerned about viewing distance. Couch to wall will be about 3.15m, so call it about 3 meters viewing distance. Is going the full ~100 inches a bit much at that distance?

Girlfriend has dome some research and has found deals for:

Samsung 98-inch Q80C QLED 4K $7497
Sony 98-inch XR X90L 4K Full Array LED $6984
TCL 98-inch C845 Premium Mini LED $6995

That said, a friend of mine managed to find this little number, which I understand is not strictly as good image quality wise as it's pure LED, and is smaller - but the price is reasonable?
Samsung 85" CU8000 Crystal LED $1788

I guess I'm also asking is there anything to strongly recommend one of the above over the other given capabilities, viewing distance and price points? Usage will generally be the two of us watching movies or gaming (using a very old PC that we have hooked up in the lounge so we'll likely be using 1080p resolution max when gaming), however when we have friends over to watch the will likely be sitting a bit off to the side and therefore viewing angle flexibility is a nice to have. Natural light coming into the room will be from a window about 2 meters away on the right hand wall, and french windows 3 meters back and to the left on the back wall so glare MAY be an issue.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Well I'll be damned. I thought it was a speck of dust on the screen, but it's behind the glass. My Sony W900A either has some dead pixels, or else some dust or a dead bug behind the glass. How do I address this?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

bull3964 posted:

I could almost justify ditching my KS8000…. Just a little longer and maybe I can get microled!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Breetai posted:

I'm in the market for a 4k TV which is going to be wall-mounted, and as this is going to be the biggest TV we've had by far (we're looking for something 85 inches plus) I'm a little concerned about viewing distance. Couch to wall will be about 3.15m, so call it about 3 meters viewing distance. Is going the full ~100 inches a bit much at that distance?

Girlfriend has dome some research and has found deals for:

Samsung 98-inch Q80C QLED 4K $7497
Sony 98-inch XR X90L 4K Full Array LED $6984
TCL 98-inch C845 Premium Mini LED $6995

That said, a friend of mine managed to find this little number, which I understand is not strictly as good image quality wise as it's pure LED, and is smaller - but the price is reasonable?
Samsung 85" CU8000 Crystal LED $1788

I guess I'm also asking is there anything to strongly recommend one of the above over the other given capabilities, viewing distance and price points? Usage will generally be the two of us watching movies or gaming (using a very old PC that we have hooked up in the lounge so we'll likely be using 1080p resolution max when gaming), however when we have friends over to watch the will likely be sitting a bit off to the side and therefore viewing angle flexibility is a nice to have. Natural light coming into the room will be from a window about 2 meters away on the right hand wall, and french windows 3 meters back and to the left on the back wall so glare MAY be an issue.

Jesus bro. Just get a smaller TV, you're barely 9ft away from the screen. $7000+ and you're not even getting an oled, smdh.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

$4k will get you an 83" LG C3 OLED, but 77" is probably the price/size sweet spot. And if you're spending over $2k and don't get an OLED you're doing it wrong.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I’m envious of anybody with partners who signs off on any tv above 65”.

I couldn’t imagine wanting anything other than a 77” OLED, though - a friend of mine has one and it definitely seems “big enough” to me.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

On the other extreme, I'm shopping for a small 4k TV.

I had a 39" TV for years (Seiki SE39UY04) but it looks like you can't really get 4k in that size anymore without paying absurd prices for "gaming monitors." Is 43" my best bet for 4k without getting something that's gonna swallow my apartment whole? I'm tempted to just buy a Samsung QE43T since I'll just be plugging my chromecast, blu-ray player, and possibly a PC into it and don't need apps.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

corgski posted:

I had a 39" TV for years (Seiki SE39UY04) but it looks like you can't really get 4k in that size anymore without paying absurd prices for "gaming monitors." Is 43" my best bet for 4k without getting something that's gonna swallow my apartment whole? I'm tempted to just buy a Samsung QE43T since I'll just be plugging my chromecast, blu-ray player, and possibly a PC into it and don't need apps.

42” or 43” seem to be the floor for 4K TVs now. There is a 42” LG C3 for $800 $900 at Best Buy currently. At the other end of the price spectrum, there is the Hisense 43A6H at Best Buy for $240.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 30, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

corgski posted:

LG makes a 42" OLED.

Corb3t posted:

I couldn’t imagine wanting anything other than a 77” OLED, though - a friend of mine has one and it definitely seems “big enough” to me.

I setup my 110" screen and 4k projector in my living room from time to time so I'm going to be continually chasing that dragon in a permanent setup.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

KillHour posted:

As someone with a 77, I am qualified to say 85 is a big fuckin tv.

Yeah this

I got a 77” C1 for like $2700 when they were new and was happy. The 83” was like over $4k, it made no sense for the premium (even given how viewing area increases as the sizes get larger).

Basically an 83” LG OLED under $3k would be a steal, especially if it was a C3.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm really surprised at how "affordable" 80" + TVs have become also. Not talking OLEDs, but even standard TVs, once you jump over 75", had a huge price bump for a long time.

Now there are literally a TON of sub $1000 options which is insane. That's awesome b/c I'd gladly purchase an 85" TV for a sports den and have a decent 55-65" OLED for the movie watching den.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah they just keep pushing that point of where the price break is ever upwards in terms of size. I suppose they’ll hit some kind of supply chain logistics limit eventually.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Dogen posted:

Yeah they just keep pushing that point of where the price break is ever upwards in terms of size. I suppose they’ll hit some kind of supply chain logistics limit eventually.

How wide is a shipping container?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Hm. I seem to have been misled by a couple of articles I've read as to the relative virtues of QLED versus OLED. Might need to spend the morning doing even more research. (The reason for what looks like outrageous prices is that these are Australian dollars, and also Australia has a great big gently caress you tax on anything electronic.)

I will definitely give more consideration to the size of the thing, and we haven't set this in stone yet anyway as we want to look at actual TVs within the showroom. Below is our current 55 inch 1080p led TV on its lovely stand, directly in front of where we have marked out what a wall mounted 85 and 98 inch TV are like. Girlfriend is thinking bigger is better re total cinematic immersion, but I'm feeling that above 85 inches and we'll be having to start moving our heads around at times when there's stuff going on in the periphery of a screen during a movie or when we're gaming.

How's LG's rep for OLED? They appear to have the more affordably priced options for large oleds.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah the QLED thing is a big trap. QD OLED (ex: Samsung S95C) is an interesting alternative to OLED that might or might not still have teething problems and is still more expensive. LG OLED are the gold standard of regular OLED.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Breetai posted:

Hm. I seem to have been misled by a couple of articles I've read as to the relative virtues of QLED versus OLED. Might need to spend the morning doing even more research. (The reason for what looks like outrageous prices is that these are Australian dollars, and also Australia has a great big gently caress you tax on anything electronic.)

I will definitely give more consideration to the size of the thing, and we haven't set this in stone yet anyway as we want to look at actual TVs within the showroom. Below is our current 55 inch 1080p led TV on its lovely stand, directly in front of where we have marked out what a wall mounted 85 and 98 inch TV are like. Girlfriend is thinking bigger is better re total cinematic immersion, but I'm feeling that above 85 inches and we'll be having to start moving our heads around at times when there's stuff going on in the periphery of a screen during a movie or when we're gaming.

How's LG's rep for OLED? They appear to have the more affordably priced options for large oleds.

This is a great video using normal people language to explain the different display technologies. LG OLED are great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ubwkG7uCFA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
https://apple.news/ApmJMCxFpTieXP_GxKB7Pxw
(The Verge)

quote:

Vizio agrees to pay $3 million for alleged ‘false’ refresh rate claims

Vizio’s agreement covers TVs bought in California after a class action lawsuit alleged its “effective” refresh rates are false advertising.