Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

hatty posted:

One Piece was supposed to end at Loguetown, Luffy was actually supposed to be executed

Oda’s biggest regret is not killing off Luffy so Buggy could be the main character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

One Piece was supposed to be a new Gundam series and Luffy was supposed to be Gun D. Amuro but the franchise turned Oda down so he just made his own thing

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The editor held a gun to Oda's head and forced him to continue the story after Kuro.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
yeah Races are in full focus here. the new world has really hammered that home too, with luffy befriending people as varied as the fishmen, tontatta, minks and then human "outcasts" like the people of wano. ofc joyboy did this as well (and interestingly noland for the tontatta) so there was probably some sort of alliance with the royal families representing some sort of human domination

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Gaimon’s Island was originally going to be Laugh Tale but Oda forgot and accidentally drew 1100 extra chapters

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Oda was originally supposed to end One Piece but oh no the pen is in your hand now, he’s watching you, the whole world is watching you, for God’s sake don’t gently caress this up.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

My longshot theory is that humans having insane powers based on their dreams was their natural state in One Piece prior to the Void Century, and it's only the World Government trying to suppress individuality and the ability for people to rebel that means this isn't the case today. What we see today is just the remnants of that - you have some heritable powers being passed down for fishmen/giants/buccaneers etc (all races that the World Government is hostile to), and devil fruits which allow someone's dream to take on a physical form when its user dies.

Thinking about it I also like 'everyone should get their own superpower based on their ideals' as a candidate for Luffy's dream.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
This chapter makes me wonder if like literally every Devil Fruit has a rudimentary function (made of rubber, manipulates ages, is a human) that becomes further refined by the user’s own ingenuity. Like Chopper used steroids to make different Points, so he actually needed some sort of stimulus at first, but are his other transformations just his imagination combined with physically getting strong enough to use most of them without a limit?

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Nikumatic posted:

Oda was originally supposed to end One Piece but oh no the pen is in your hand now, he’s watching you, the whole world is watching you, for God’s sake don’t gently caress this up.

I always figured Gaimon was the One Piece. Shame he couldn’t tell them that he was “that place” and that Gol was just having a larff.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Speaking of, at this point its extremely obvious that "Devil Fruit" is not the actual name of the fruits, right? That's just a cover that the World Government gave the fruits to give them a bad rap. I think the real name of the fruits is going to be "One Piece" since each fruit is One Piece of a Dream.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I wonder if we'll learn that the whole "hated by the sea" thing with Devil Fruits has a deeper significance

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Only recently realized that Nika is laughing in this picture and doesn't just have a long beard with hair curling on both sides.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Every time I see the Nika silhouette, I think it's the Jugalo thing for a second.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
is that a spear or a paintbrush?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i think it's a sword op. im just kidding. hey happy new year

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

hatty posted:

Had the exact same thought. Gear 6 is gonna be Blackbeard going nuts as the world and his own body constantly gets changed by a massive brush, before the reveal of Luffy hunched over a drawing table chuckling,"Ain't I a stinker!"

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

hatty posted:

oda made it a silhouette for a reason

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

It's a sign that says "Imu Season"

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Last Celebration posted:

This chapter makes me wonder if like literally every Devil Fruit has a rudimentary function (made of rubber, manipulates ages, is a human) that becomes further refined by the user’s own ingenuity. Like Chopper used steroids to make different Points, so he actually needed some sort of stimulus at first, but are his other transformations just his imagination combined with physically getting strong enough to use most of them without a limit?

I do think this explains Weird zoan stuff that animals couldn't actually do, but if the person believed that they could and had the fruit they can do it. Like all of the "This is how dinosaurs hunted" stuff in Wano

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

bobjr posted:

I do think this explains Weird zoan stuff that animals couldn't actually do, but if the person believed that they could and had the fruit they can do it. Like all of the "This is how dinosaurs hunted" stuff in Wano

The fact that they don't have feathers

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
that doesnt explain poo poo about dinosaurs because oda is going to take the belief that dinosaurs could do all that in real life to his grave and so am i

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
there are dinosaurs whose entire skull is a trumpet

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I am loving all this discussion but people seem to be forgetting that Blackbeard already has a Mythical Pegasus Zoan so he has all his pokemon capture bases covered. poo poo the guy actually has 2 Mythic Zoans at this point with Devon, I think he just wants power alone now. Also gently caress yeah Borsalino, even if you die you were my favorite admiral and R.I.P to his original voice actor because that dude nailed the super baked but competent voice perfectly

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

bobjr posted:

But we had a perfect representation of the awesome power of the giraffe.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TGG posted:

I am loving all this discussion but people seem to be forgetting that Blackbeard already has a Mythical Pegasus Zoan so he has all his pokemon capture bases covered. poo poo the guy actually has 2 Mythic Zoans at this point with Devon, I think he just wants power alone now. Also gently caress yeah Borsalino, even if you die you were my favorite admiral and R.I.P to his original voice actor because that dude nailed the super baked but competent voice perfectly

On the Blackbeard front, I think the more important thing is that only like 6 people in the world know that Luffy actually has a mythical zoan power. Everyone else just thinks he's made of rubber. A power nobody else cares about getting.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Gyges posted:

Every time I see the Nika silhouette, I think it's the Jugalo thing for a second.

it could be that too. what's more free than the juggalife?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Gyges posted:

On the Blackbeard front, I think the more important thing is that only like 6 people in the world know that Luffy actually has a mythical zoan power. Everyone else just thinks he's made of rubber. A power nobody else cares about getting.

honestly I wouldn’t be very surprised if Blackbeard, the man whose hobby is historical research and has lived a third longer than his age suggests due to literally never sleeping, is one of a handful of people who could actually make the inference that the Luffy’s fruit is the Human Human: Model Nika, or at least related to it.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Gyges posted:

I don't know why people think certain arcs were the original ending. Oda clearly came into this with a general idea for the plot, started off episodic when he didn't know if he'd even be picked up, transitioned into sagas when it was clear he had this, then let his imagination go wild when it became clear he could write this as long as he wanted.
Oda himself said (somewhere iirc) the original loose plan was a 5-year manga that ended after Alabasta. They would have found the One Piece after bonking croc on the nose. It grew from there after getting successful.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Bisse posted:

Oda himself said (somewhere iirc) the original loose plan was a 5-year manga that ended after Alabasta. They would have found the One Piece after bonking croc on the nose. It grew from there after getting successful.
I'm pretty sure that's the product of a game of telephone because what I remember is that the Shichibukai concept was introduced for padding- originally they were gonna get to the Grand Line and have to deal with the Emperors. Maybe the story would have been over a couple hundred chapters in, but they would have been very different chapters.

I don't have a source for this vague memory, so consider it as unfounded as what I'm replying to, but I'd want to see the actual quote about ending after Alabasta before I'd believe it.

Edit: Crocodile and Kaido are basically the same kind of antagonist, just on different scales. I could easily see the original plan being a Croc/Kaido hybrid in a version of Alabasta/Wano leading us to where we basically are now in the story, just like 800 chapters ago.

But that's pure speculation.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 30, 2023

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

kdrudy posted:

But we had a perfect representation of the awesome power of the giraffe.

Oh no, Kaku's on Egghead and Blackbeard is coming over... :ohdear:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

mythical pasta giraffe....

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

bobjr posted:

No their necks really worked like that

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's not like I've ever observed a giraffe irl

So I just gotta trust Oda on this one

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's not like I've ever observed a giraffe irl

So I just gotta trust Oda on this one

Sorry your local zoo sucks.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gyges posted:

Sorry your local zoo sucks.

Ha ha "local"

:smith:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

The Ushi Ushi no Mi, Model: Giraffe is shaped like bananas. I assume this is because you can pay to feed giraffes bananas in some zoos.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
With devil fruits basically being dreams made manifest, I wonder if the whole hated by the sea thing was something spread by the world government, and since devil fruits represent something immaterial enough people believing it made it true. Likewise with the "can't eat multiple fruits" thing.

Maybe Blackbeard could do it just because he was that sure it wasn't true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/breetheSHEEP/status/1740835554353393923