Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Hadlock posted:

Sorry am I posting in the wrong reality again? God damnit

Is this the reality where Hillary was president and covid was just SARS3 and contained to the island nation of Hong Kong (again)

In my home reality we had 10% inflation over three years, more like 30% inflation for housing and food, after a decade of sub 2% inflation

i realize being obtuse is like your gimmick or something, but i'm not even sure what this means in response to what i posted. my original post is about how inflation has cooled significantly from the spike you reference, while simultaneously labor has stayed tight. my response to senor p was to highlight the lack of explanation for the mismatch from basic theory, not to suggest that inflation didn't actually happen or whatever vague point you're driving at here

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Add the supply chain crisis and the reaction of a new trend of supply chains starting to move to be more regional and in country rather than global.

Add the pandemics effects on the labor pool, regarding child care, elder care, retirement, death.

Add the effects of the IRA and CHIPs acts.

my naive theory is that the ira/chips act and at least some of the lingering effect of covid stimulus is driving non-inflationary growth. but that's probably only because it matches my priors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

my original post is about how inflation has cooled significantly from the spike you reference, while simultaneously labor has stayed tight.

Inflation is the outcome of basic market forces. At the start of covid we pumped a ton of money both directly into the economy via literal covid stimulus checks, covid payroll loans (many/most of which were immediately forgiven). Plus borrowing money was free. M2 money supply

If you have more money (demand) than supply then prices will go up. We had more money + reduced supply due to covid, prices rose. Corporate profits in 2022 were some of the highest ever.

Then they stopped QE, supply caught up, and

Bar Ran Dun posted:

demand destruction.

Seems like a cooling of inflation to me

Yeah labor has been tight, eating out costs about double what it did in 2018. I don't think I've paid less than $17 for a cheeseburger all this year outside of the drive though. Used to pay $10. Even with those prices food service is a shell of it's former self, like half of all small restaurants failed during/after covid

Inflation went to the moon (for our generation at least) and after prices adjusted... Of course it would soften, demand weakened due to higher prices, and we stopped pumping extra money into the economy

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

hypnophant posted:

Not quite! Inflation peaked at 8% last June, and has since fallen back to 2%. The price index since January 2021 has risen from 262 to 307, a change of 17% or about 6% a year.

I mean things aren’t all that rosy here either but your home reality sounds noticeably worse

Sorry; 10% over three years meaning cumulative inflation 2020-2023

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

hypnophant posted:

, though I haven’t seen any academic papers on changing trade patterns yet.

Sigh. One sees things on the waterfront well before any papers. I see less than I used now that I’m on the claims / insurers side rather loss prevention / regulatory on the carriers side. But I’m still going to see it years before any paper.

I’m rather literally paid to go watch it, in person.

hypnophant posted:

I don’t really understand what point you’re trying to make about a feed back loop, but globalization has been petering off as far back as 2010, and has little to do with the pandemic supply chain problems.

Actually the Great Recession accelerated a bunch of JIT trends it even as it knocked the overall trade volume down. A vitally important thing increased, inventory (and not finished goods in supply chain inventory) moved from warehouses to in transit on containerships, facilitated by extremely low carrier rates. But one wouldn’t have seen that just looking the total amount of trade. And it laid the ground work for the supply chain crisis.

Any way that trend bit everybody in manufacturing in the rear end during the pandemic when rates shot up and delays got excessive.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

my naive theory is that the ira/chips act and at least some of the lingering effect of covid stimulus is driving non-inflationary growth. but that's probably only because it matches my priors

I’m not sure people get the size of the facilities opening up between chips and ira. The news is talking about things like GM drawing back. But these auto battery facilities are huge 40-50 fully chartered multipurpose vessels of machinery for each one and all that logistics is already done. The poo poo is mostly here already and installed. The chips stuff was stunningly fast too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

we're going in circles

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Hadlock posted:

Inflation is the outcome of basic market forces. At the start of covid we pumped a ton of money both directly into the economy via literal covid stimulus checks, covid payroll loans (many/most of which were immediately forgiven). Plus borrowing money was free. M2 money supply

If you have more money (demand) than supply then prices will go up. We had more money + reduced supply due to covid, prices rose. Corporate profits in 2022 were some of the highest ever.

Then they stopped QE, supply caught up, and

Seems like a cooling of inflation to me

Yeah labor has been tight, eating out costs about double what it did in 2018. I don't think I've paid less than $17 for a cheeseburger all this year outside of the drive though. Used to pay $10. Even with those prices food service is a shell of it's former self, like half of all small restaurants failed during/after covid

Inflation went to the moon (for our generation at least) and after prices adjusted... Of course it would soften, demand weakened due to higher prices, and we stopped pumping extra money into the economy

yes, but if demand has weakened enough to bring down prices, why are companies still hiring? domestic consumer spending hasn't slackened this year, real wages are up, this is not what volcker shock looked like in the 1980's, and mainstream monetary theory was that some level of pain was necessary to cool rapidly spiking inflation. how can you have demand destruction when the economy is seeing quarters of annualized growth approaching 5%?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

we're going in circles

new thread title

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

yes, but if demand has weakened enough to bring down prices, why are companies still hiring? domestic consumer spending hasn't slackened this year, real wages are up, this is not what volcker shock looked like in the 1980's, and mainstream monetary theory was that some level of pain was necessary to cool rapidly spiking inflation. how can you have demand destruction when the economy is seeing quarters of annualized growth approaching 5%?

To quote an IRL person, the crisis is over, rates are coming down, and all the deals that have been postponed, most of those still need to happen eventually. There's a lot of anticipated growth/business as usual expected over the next 18 months. If you look at Junior level hiring it's still an absolute blood bath; they're hiring seniors still to make sure they're staffed to handle anticipated demand

Mortgage rates going to 8% was in no way a volcker shock. Painful yes but they boiled the frog so slowly it gave companies a chance to shed costs early

Demand destruction on global level. I edited truncated their quote slightly

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Leperflesh posted:

we're going in circles

in the name of continuing the conversation i'll throw out a few random (mostly contradictory) guesses that have been raddling around my brain, though of course i have no way of knowing:

-the inflation spike was almost entirely supply side, it really was transitory. once the covid delays were sorted out and the energy shock from russia's invasion of ukraine faded, it didn't matter that demand never fell, because that wasn't the real driver (doesn't fully explain significant inflation in services which at times exceeded good)
-companies had a period where they felt comfortable pumping up their margins, but shifts in market realities have made them hesitant to continue that trend
-both supply and demand play a secondary role to expectations and the fed did a great job managing expectations to the point of an almost mass hypnosis

Hadlock posted:

Mortgage rates going to 8% was in no way a volcker shock. Painful yes but they boiled the frog so slowly it gave companies a chance to shed costs early

companies didn't shed costs though, outside of tech they didn't shed employees at all. this is the weird thing about inflation coming down. the pace of capital expenditures slowed, but stayed positive. the lesson of the 1980's was that you probably needed to have some kind of recession to halt rampant inflation, and that didn't happen this time around

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Sorry am I posting in the wrong reality again? God damnit

Is this the reality where Hillary was president and covid was just SARS3 and contained to the island nation of Hong Kong (again)

In my home reality we had 10% inflation over three years, more like 30% inflation for housing and food, after a decade of sub 2% inflation

Someone’s been reading the peripheral.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Sigh. One sees things on the waterfront well before any papers. I see less than I used now that I’m on the claims / insurers side rather loss prevention / regulatory on the carriers side. But I’m still going to see it years before any paper.

I’m rather literally paid to go watch it, in person.

you can't seriously believe you're seeing the whole pattern of global trade from one location.

quote:

Actually the Great Recession accelerated a bunch of JIT trends it even as it knocked the overall trade volume down. A vitally important thing increased, inventory (and not finished goods in supply chain inventory) moved from warehouses to in transit on containerships, facilitated by extremely low carrier rates. But one wouldn’t have seen that just looking the total amount of trade. And it laid the ground work for the supply chain crisis.

Any way that trend bit everybody in manufacturing in the rear end during the pandemic when rates shot up and delays got excessive.

JIT is a management practice which is separate from the question of globalization. You can do globalization without JIT (source: the period 1870-1913) and you can do JIT without globalization. In fact JIT is usually regarded as having been invented by Toyota in the 70s, and so must have been popularized after the end of the second wave of globalization in 1973.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

in the name of continuing the conversation i'll throw out a few random (mostly contradictory) guesses that have been raddling around my brain, though of course i have no way of knowing:

my guess, having written all these words over the last few go arounds of this conversation, is that the classical monetary theory link between unemployment and inflation has just never been as strong as it was hypothesized. If it was we should never have had stagflation, and we shouldn't now be seeing disinflation despite unemployment remaining very low. The question that remains to be answered, then, is not so much why inflation is dropping now but why it spiked in the first place; how did a basically transient spike in supply chain lag cause prices to leap up almost ten percent in a year? How has the Fed managed to pull off a soft landing when a majority of economists predicted we'd have a recession in 2023? Maybe even more important - what happened from 2008 to 2020 that we had so little inflation despite such easy monetary policy? And what are the long-term effects of QE - is it, as Bernanke seems to claim, simply a logical and effective extension of monetary policy below the zero lower bound, or did it do something else which we're now feeling the effects of?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

hypnophant posted:

you can't seriously believe you're seeing the whole pattern of global trade from one location.

Not all of it but a very large portion of it, I’m also a phone call away from other people at other ports who are either colleagues or people I’ve trained and I ask what they see. In several categories of vessel, containership, bulk carrier, and handy sized multipurpose I’ve boarded about 20ish % of the world’s fleet in those categories.

I can glean an awful lot of information even just at a glance. I know where to look to get future vessel schedules. I can estimate how much cargo a vessel is carrying just by looking at it. I know if those thousands of containers on deck are empty or loaded by looking at the ships draft. By looking at the container ships I can even know their routes. I see the cargo manifests , bills of lading, and stow plans

But yes, I rather can know a great deal about trade volumes just by looking at a vessel running an Asia - US - Europe.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I think the general outcome of the latest crisis is we do not understand macroeconomics nearly well enough to make scientific statements of cause and effect, even with the most basic principles. And that monetary policy cannot control nearly as much as economists think it can, without fiscal policy backing it.

Raising interest rates hasn't destroyed nearly as much demand as expected because the links between bank central rates and immediate growth are much lower than 1980s.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Everyone always thinks they have a unique and thorough viewpoint of the world. It's how our animal brain functions.

hypnophant posted:

what happened from 2008 to 2020 that we had so little inflation despite such easy monetary policy?

Personally, I think this is the real question. I think we're probably not as far off on the whys as we think we are, but I do think we have no idea how these changes ripple out and what causes things to lurch and jump instead of smoothing out.

Like, you go back 10 years and average out inflation given the inputs and it actually seems fine, but as you get closer why did things happen when they happened and not happen when they didn't happen and it seems to make no sense.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I think the general outcome of the latest crisis is we do not understand macroeconomics nearly well enough to make scientific statements of cause and effect, even with the most basic principles.

I think we should look at global trade with stock and flow modeling instead of the models of macroeconomics. Systems thinking to build models instead of statistics and the assumptions of neoclassical economics.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Lockback posted:

Like, you go back 10 years and average out inflation given the inputs and it actually seems fine, but as you get closer why did things happen when they happened and not happen when they didn't happen and it seems to make no sense.

This is what confuses me as well. I look at things like the demographic transition in european and asian countries and draw the conclusion that we had a global savings glut, but that doesn’t explain the post-gfc era on its own, and is even less helpful for understanding the pandemic effects

Bar Ran Dun posted:

But yes, I rather can know a great deal about trade volumes just by looking at a vessel running an Asia - US - Europe.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I think we should look at global trade with stock and flow modeling instead of the models of macroeconomics. Systems thinking to build models instead of statistics and the assumptions of neoclassical economics.

Given your perspective, I would really love to hear your thoughts on the below:

hypnophant posted:

how did a basically transient spike in supply chain lag cause prices to leap up almost ten percent in a year? How has the Fed managed to pull off a soft landing when a majority of economists predicted we'd have a recession in 2023?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

hypnophant posted:

how did a basically transient spike in supply chain lag cause prices to leap up almost ten percent in a year?

because the supply chain issues were only part of inflation. keep in mind the price of oil doubled from 2019 to 2022, and that affects the cost of nearly everything

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Hypnophant I wrote a response but awful has eaten it and I’m not sure where it posted. I’ll get to redoing it later probably this evening.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

drk posted:

because the supply chain issues were only part of inflation. keep in mind the price of oil doubled from 2019 to 2022, and that affects the cost of nearly everything

Doesn’t work as an explanation. The price of oil fluctuates all the time without leading to significant changes in inflation, which is the whole reason energy and food inflation aren’t considered when setting policy. Keep in mind the supply chain question is a follow-up to “what triggered inflation to rise” - inflation is by definition broad-based price increases so of course it’s going to consist of more than just intermediate goods

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Economics and current events: engineer brains quoting Econ 101

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yes but the availability of oil changed for the first time since the oil crunch in the 70s. Usually when oil prices change it's due to self inflicted production quotas. Or a brief flash in the pan due to some regional event/conflict. Over a period of about three weeks Europe went from lots of availability to very little oil and gas and had to import it by sea. Modern day supply train from literal over seas. Availability changed so much that we quietly cancelled the oil embargo from Venezuela.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Borscht posted:

Someone’s been reading the peripheral.

I think this is just coming out of the whole "Trump is running for reelection and using covid denial as a major plank of his election platform while the whole world struggles with covid - we live in the worst possible timeline" type comments

Mantle
May 15, 2004

In Canada, I think we did have wild inflation between 2008 and 2020, but in a way that was not captured by monetary policy. Housing costs tripled or quadrupled over that period of time but were not considered in the calculation of inflation.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

hypnophant posted:

Given your perspective, I would really love to hear your thoughts on the below:

Because we backed off JIT (not completely but a fair bit) and how supply chains work incorporated more warehousing and carried inventory costs money.

I wrote this several years ago:

“” posted:

Systems, Business, Trade, Kanban, and Political Economy

This a bit rambling and it's not polished and it's probably not coherant yet. But here it goes.

There is a very useful concept from the Foundations of Cybernetics I’d like to start with. For every technology, be it a physical technology or a conceptual one there is a corresponding set of ideas and concepts, an (or almost) ideology, that allows one to use the technology in question most efficiently. Basically when one has a tool one also has to have a suite of concepts to use that tool most effectively. With that in mind I’m going go all the way back to the beginning. I think one needs to look at the technologies and historical events that gave rise to systems thinking to really understand it. This is a very, very simplified representation of a steam cycle.

Steam cycle

A boiler, boils and then superheats steam, it runs through the turbines which turn a generator, the steam is condensed and then as water it is pumped back into the boiler. Look at the diagram. Obviously the system and the drawing is informed heavily by thermodynamics. But I’m trying to communicate the following characteristics: The circular nature of the cycle, the flows of steam and water represented by lines, and the stocks of various liquids inside each of the parts. The lines showing flows between individual components. This diagram omits controls, but I’ll get to that in a sec. Anyways stocks are how much poo poo (water in a tank, steam in a boiler, etc) X things. Flows are how fast poo poo is moving X things per second. Flows can indicate what will happen in a system, but you need stocks to know when it will happen. Now one of the ways to control systems, is valves. Valves can do things like open and close. Or they can be throttled. Or a line can take pressure feed back from a pipe against a spring tension (or theses days a controller) and keep a flow at a particular rate (a analog solution). These are controls. Controls let one maintain the output one wants across variable inputs. One uses controls to keep a system from blowing up basically.

I’m going to play fast and loose with the history here but eventually WWII happens. During the war there is a lot of development in maths and we get tools like linear programming, that let's one maximize or minimize for desired values. There also is a problem after the war. How the hell does one get a rocket to fly where one want’s it to? Control theory solves this problem. They take concepts, particularly the math for how that pressure control valve works and they apply it to rocketry. Controls theory is how they solve the problem of getting rockets to fly straight. See those simple valves, can be expressed as terms in differential equations. That same math can describe rockets, electronics, etc. All of these things (and some other concepts from other disciplines like ships stability) eventually come together and form a discipline called Operations research. The controls / stock and flow modeling part sometimes gets called the “Differential Equations Paradigm” and eventually we can digitize the industrial controllers with it. Eventually we turn this poo poo on everything. In business operations research gets used as ”management science”. In the sixties Kennedy’s eggheads, the whiz kids, this is the way they’re thinking , the tools they are using. Rand Corp pioneers a lot of this type of modeling. Eventually it becomes one of the standard ways we look at business. Managers use linear programming to maximize production and profits. Businesses are modeled using ideas from the circular stock and flow . That steam cycle, the suite of concepts used to describe that, can also be used to describe a business or business cycles. In fact when executives talk about creating value designing systems is what they mean. And I don’t mean I’m inferring this. I mean I’ve asked, and they give this answer. They are creating circular systems that take in inputs and spit out money. Some of these models get pretty sophisticated look at things like SCOR as good example. And I would remind you this type of supply chain modeling is what makes apple, one of the most valuable companies in the world. It’s what Tim Cook is good at.

Something vitally important to understand. A lot of these models are constructed and then spread. They then get applied and even taught by people who couldn’t have made them and don’t really understand them.
Anyway systems thinking gets used to model economics and trade, the economist Wille posted here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862896&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post488017309
Is a great example amd what prompted this post. And important because it shows how compatible systems thinking is with dialectic though, because of the circular nature of the model. A number of times he talks about using stocks and flows to model trade and currency flows after the switch to fiat currency. He talks at length about using stock and flow models (and I think he is applying them correctly and reaching correct conclusions with them). Think tanks, consultancies (McKinsey is a good current example) they all use models built on these ideas. I’ve done some simple modeling in this area for grad school.

Anyway eventually somebody (the Japanese, but I don’t know enough about the specific people to tell which ones, Toyota is a big player) takes this thinking and comes up with the idea of minimizing inventory (a stock) by balancing logistical flows. One can really supercharge a business’ return on investment by bringing it’s inventory holding costs down as low as possible. This idea is called Kanban. Now the principle here is basically just that pressure control valve I told you about earlier. Flows are controlled to reduce the need for inventory. This idea becomes wide spread. Process management (which is more than Kanban and proceeds it) becomes widespread and largely in conjunction with growing globalization. Something to have in mind. You and I are if we are employees are stocks to be minimized to maximize cash flow and return to shareholders.

I wrote all that to say this. Now we have business systems that are very sophisticated, they use models like SCOR, to minimize their inventories (and again it’s worth noting inventory can be considered include employees) and make more money . But systems with very low stocks tend to be less stable. In physical systems, like the steam cycle, poo poo blows the gently caress up when things go wrong. Now in business where we have managers applying models they didn’t construct and are merely applying (hmmm now that’s familiar) and those models tend reduce stocks, they’re reducing stability in the system.

When it gets too hard to steer around the rocks, sometimes we hit the rocks. And this is the underlying thing that’s been worrying me about this escalating trade war.

Any way after that I posted a good deal about the the health of the containership lines at the time and predicted what would eventually happen in the supply chain crisis. Though I did not realize they would cartel up and voluntarily reduce capacity together ( because that’s human behavior and lol autism).

But to what’s going on now, so after the supply chain crisis firms started holding more inventory to have more stable supply chains. This means warehousing and diversified sourcing some portion of which is more local. That’s less efficient but more stable. So it costs more to make poo poo as a consequence. Good analysis that I’ve seen of how much more have it at being 15% to 25 % of the inflation that happened. So is not a sole factor but it’s a big portion.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 31, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001
We go a few years and supply chain starts getting cut again, because reducing inventory and sole sourcing is an easy place to find money.

Then something breaks, and building in redundancy and safety stock is a priority again. Pendulum swing back and forth.

This was a pretty big thing that broke though, across all industries!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Baddog posted:

We go a few years and supply chain starts getting cut again, because reducing inventory and sole sourcing is an easy place to find money.

Then something breaks, and building in redundancy and safety stock is a priority again. Pendulum swing back and forth.

This was a pretty big thing that broke though, across all industries!

But for certain goods (semiconductors, batteries) we’ve decided to not do that and to move some production back to on shore or regional (Canada / Mexico), and that’s a large part of what the IRA and CHIPs is intentionally doing.

The other part is that a gasoline to electric transition means accelerating the trend of the US as a net exporter of oil.

And this stuff means jobs and also more inflation.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

And yet, US oil imports have been on a steady decline. https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=MTTNTUS2&f=M

Fracking and other new technologies developed in the 00s and 2010s have increased US oil production so much that the US is producing more oil per year than any one country has does so before, ever.
https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=MCRFPUS2&f=M

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Right and if we transition to electric we drop our demand on top of that. 9 states have banned the sale of new gasoline powered cars by 2035.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Because we backed off JIT (not completely but a fair bit) and how supply chains work incorporated more warehousing and carried inventory costs money.

I wrote this several years ago:

Any way after that I posted a good deal about the the health of the containership lines at the time and predicted what would eventually happen in the supply chain crisis. Though I did not realize they would cartel up and voluntarily reduce capacity together ( because that’s human behavior and lol autism).

But to what’s going on now, so after the supply chain crisis firms started holding more inventory to have more stable supply chains. This means warehousing and diversified sourcing some portion of which is more local. That’s less efficient but more stable. So it costs more to make poo poo as a consequence. Good analysis that I’ve seen of how much more have it at being 15% to 25 % of the inflation that happened. So is not a sole factor but it’s a big portion.

sounds like you want a leontief model, a cool thing which, so far as I can tell, economists have not yet figured out a practical application for. Maybe somewhere in the bowels of RAND or McKinsey or the BEA these get put to use; maybe you can find something interesting to do with them.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

But for certain goods (semiconductors, batteries) we’ve decided to not do that and to move some production back to on shore or regional (Canada / Mexico), and that’s a large part of what the IRA and CHIPs is intentionally doing.

The other part is that a gasoline to electric transition means accelerating the trend of the US as a net exporter of oil.

europe is not an energy exporter, and has so far failed to come up with a competing industrial policy of their own, but they've suffered even worse inflation than we have here; does that fit your theory?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
actual operations research peeps fight with mixed-integer programming monstrosities: well into NP computationally, not the spherical cow leontieff crap

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I skipped optimization to fit in real analysis 1 in my last semester so I don’t actually know that much linear algebra let alone what goes on in OR

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

hypnophant posted:

maybe you can find something interesting to do with them.

They make money with stock and flow models. These are real models of systems that use differential equations and control theory not linear programming matrix operations. You know like what Tim Cook at Apple does (that he picked up at IBM.)

hypnophant posted:

europe is not an energy exporter, and has so far failed to come up with a competing industrial policy of their own, but they've suffered even worse inflation than we have here; does that fit your theory?

Yes is not an energy exporter
Yes Europe has so far failed to come up with a competing industrial policy.

Yes that means then their inflation is going to be worse. All this supply chain stuff affects them more than the US too. Their international trade is affected more by this change and new post pandemic conditions. The US benefits in a relative way (but not an absolute way ) from a world that is more regional and less global. That’s part of the reason why we are doing better than everybody else.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.reuters.com/technology/openai-annualized-revenue-tops-16-billion-information-2023-12-30/

Reuters reporting OpenAI, inventors of "ChatGPT" cleared $1.6 billion USD in revenue in 2023

Tangentially, I installed "chatgpt4all" on my laptop with the "orca2" open source LLM from Microsoft and for simple tasks it's 85-92% as good as ChatGPT

That said, I think AI is not a flash in the pan, seems like people find enough value in the product they're willing to pay for it.

I was really surprised at how many people really struggle with writing emails, over half the people I talked to say they use it for writing emails

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yes is not an energy exporter
Yes Europe has so far failed to come up with a competing industrial policy.

Yes that means then their inflation is going to be worse.

It seems as though you're saying doing onshoring and being an energy exporter means more jobs and more inflation, and not having an industrial policy and being an energy importer also means more inflation. Am I misreading you here?

Hadlock posted:

https://www.reuters.com/technology/openai-annualized-revenue-tops-16-billion-information-2023-12-30/

Reuters reporting OpenAI, inventors of "ChatGPT" cleared $1.6 billion USD in revenue in 2023

Tangentially, I installed "chatgpt4all" on my laptop with the "orca2" open source LLM from Microsoft and for simple tasks it's 85-92% as good as ChatGPT

That said, I think AI is not a flash in the pan, seems like people find enough value in the product they're willing to pay for it.

I was really surprised at how many people really struggle with writing emails, over half the people I talked to say they use it for writing emails

that's 1.6billion annualized in december, so they didn't actually make 1.6 billion in revenue in 2023. I also wonder how well the value proposition is going to hold up after the hype dies down - LLMs are extremely expensive to train and run and it seems like a stretch to believe enough corporations will pay for a fancy email generator. I think the product is probably here to stay but i'll wait a little while to see if it lives up to the promise

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 31, 2023

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

hypnophant posted:

Am I misreading you here?

Yes. You’re missing the part that matters because of the way you think about the question.

A general trend to carry move inventory in warehouses and to source regionally and onshore rather than source from giant single factories will make everything cost cost more to make.

A failure to have a coherent industrial policy that accounts for this trend change for critical goods will be more inflationary.

Energy self sufficiency is less efficient, because it generally costs more to get it out of the ground here rather than overseas and is thus inflationary.

Not being energy self sufficient is inflationary because there are wars occurring and certain sources are sanctioned (Russia) and other sources have their logistics threatened (any tracker transits through the Red Sea)

All of these things are inflationary, because it all makes making goods harder and less efficient. But these changes also move production around and relative to other countries than movement benefits the United States.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yes. You’re missing the part that matters because of the way you think about the question.

A general trend to carry move inventory in warehouses and to source regionally and onshore rather than source from giant single factories will make everything cost cost more to make.

A failure to have a coherent industrial policy that accounts for this trend change for critical goods will be more inflationary.

Energy self sufficiency is less efficient, because it generally costs more to get it out of the ground here rather than overseas and is thus inflationary.

Not being energy self sufficient is inflationary because there are wars occurring and certain sources are sanctioned (Russia) and other sources have their logistics threatened (any tracker transits through the Red Sea)

All of these things are inflationary, because it all makes making goods harder and less efficient. But these changes also move production around and relative to other countries than movement benefits the United States.

What you are saying here contradicts basic economics. If the US is overpaying to produce its own oil and manufactured goods, that will lower, not raise, prices of the output of the lowest-cost producers for countries that are not doing that. This is 101-level supply and demand; if supply goes up, cost goes down for any given level of demand.

I also disagree that energy self sufficiency in the US is any driver of inflation - I actually think it's a major contributor to the US having a relatively easy time restraining inflation - but even accepting your premises, your conclusion does not make sense.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Hadlock posted:

I think LLM's have some economic value, it's just nowhere near the hype it generates. And while they are expensive to train, once one is trained you can bootstrap another off it fairly easily so there's no competitive advantage in the space. So it's not going to lead to uneven windfall profits like Google or Facebook do. They are only expensive to run in comparison to searchs and with a baseline price of "free" - when it comes to enterprise pricing they'll fit fairly well into annual sofrware licensing budgets for specific models which don't leak corporate data back to the cloud, which is one of the major problems with current corporate implementations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

hypnophant posted:

What you are saying here contradicts basic economics. If the US is overpaying to produce its own oil and manufactured goods, that will lower, not raise, prices of the output of the lowest-cost producers for countries that are not doing that. This is 101-level supply and demand; if supply goes up, cost goes down for any given level of demand.

All supply chains are carrying more inventory and diversifying to more regional and in country suppliers. That’s happening in Europe too, they just don’t have a coherent economic policy addressing it.

A large part of international trade is within the manufacturing process, not in finished goods. What happens to supply chains when containerships divert around the horn from the Red Sea with shoes that just had the soles glued on in China, but still need to be finished in Europe?

Econ 101 supply and demand? Nonsense!

Most international trade is within the supply chain. A term for this is “work-in-progress” goods. It’s hard to get percentages on it but in 2013 it was 80% of international trade by valuation.

https://unctad.org/press-material/80-trade-takes-place-value-chains-linked-transnational-corporations-unctad-report

My conclusions don’t make sense to you because there are many things you just don’t know.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think you say a ton of words but don't explicitly tie it to inflation or employment, except for when you just declare that a thing is or isn't inflationary without an actual explanation for how.

I think you are a domain expert but are really struggling to present a coherent, clear argument for why we see inflation falling off without an loss of jobs.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I think you are a domain expert but are really struggling to present a coherent, clear argument for why we see inflation falling off without an loss of jobs.

I'm kind of shocked no one has mentioned "productivity gains" in the last few pages, because that would be the easiest way to square that circle. Problem is, it's hard enough to measure it well in the US (particularly since the pandemic threw a lot of stats out of whack) and totally impossible in, for instance, China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

I think you say a ton of words but don't explicitly tie it to inflation or employment, except for when you just declare that a thing is or isn't inflationary without an actual explanation for how.

Goods just costing more to make is inflation!

Monetary policy caused inflation isn’t the only type of inflation.