Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

For me, the big differentiator between WOTR and Kingmaker was a much stronger narrative, with lots of pretty decent side stories and narratives (largely played out along the mythic paths and companion quests). WOTR was a game that - for all its flaws - I just couldn't put down. I fell DEEP into that game and the story of the Crusade and my party's role in it. We were up against Devils and demi-gods and it just ripped from the start.

I dunno, maybe I'm articulating it poorly, but the thing that really grabbed me about WOTR was that it felt really epic in scope - in ways that justified a lot of the rough edges and broken parts. It felt really ambitious, and while they do a great job of captuing the WORLD in Rogue Trader...it just feels like a much smaller, less driven, and fragmented experience to me. I just don't feel anything pulling me along in the way that the grand narrative in WOTR did, and most of the side stories feel similarly basic/thin.
It´s kind of funny to read your take since pretty much everything you wrote is the reason why I bounced off WotR. I´ve never been to interested in all these grand, epic stories and prefer slightly more grounded and personal narratives. Add to the fact that I´ve never enjoyed the gameplay for Epic scale gameplay in any kind of DnD since I feel it all devolves into enemies with stupidly high resistances and fights that feels like rockettag,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Goofballs posted:

Quick question, at some point I got a backup ship to roll around with me. I forget what quest it was from but it fights alongside the main ship in void combat. If it gets blown up in combat is that it, its dead you should probably replay that battle or is it like a crpg pet that respawns for the next combat?

It respawns

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
A tutorial never popped up for Navigator Points and traveling between systems, what regenerates the points? What exactly does it mean when a route is dangerous? Any other tips for spending navigator points wisely for traveling between systems?

Also did the newest patch drop for consoles yet, I can't tell and I'm trying to wait for it for the increased conviction gains

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The space combat balance is far superior to the on-foot stuff since the system is simpler. I spent all last night just exploring and fighting ship battles and it was a blast.

Lakbay posted:

A tutorial never popped up for Navigator Points and traveling between systems, what regenerates the points? What exactly does it mean when a route is dangerous? Any other tips for spending navigator points wisely for traveling between systems?

Also did the newest patch drop for consoles yet, I can't tell and I'm trying to wait for it for the increased conviction gains

Some random things get your points but it's usually exploring new systems I believe. How safe a route is how likely you are to get a random bad event. None of the events I've encountered have been catastrophic so it hasn't seemed like a big deal. Some of the random events actually give you points so if you run out you can use them to fill back up.

Mostly I spend a point to make the most dangerous routes into just mostly dangerous and only spent the extra points on the main route between the colonies to green. There are some places that need points to reach at all so good to have some point reserve.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Lakbay posted:

There are two things that generate navigator points: charting warp routes in a new system (the ones marked with a question mark) and random events that can happen during warp travel in an "unsafe" or higher tier warp jump. Any route that's not "safe" has a chance of an event happening during warp. In yellow ("unsafe") routes, most of these events are just flavor events, but occasionally you can get a minor negative event or something that gives you a reward on a successful skill check. Rarely, you'll have daemons invade the ship and you'll need to fight them. In "dangerous" and "deadly" routes, warp events are more common and generally more difficult.

What Ive done is Ive made "safe" warp routes between my main hub system and all my colonies, and otherwise I just make sure there's some path to get to any system that doesn't involve taking a jump more dangerous than yellow.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 30, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

VanillaGorilla posted:

For me, the big differentiator between WOTR and Kingmaker was a much stronger narrative, with lots of pretty decent side stories and narratives (largely played out along the mythic paths and companion quests). WOTR was a game that - for all its flaws - I just couldn't put down. I fell DEEP into that game and the story of the Crusade and my party's role in it. We were up against Devils and demi-gods and it just ripped from the start.

I dunno, maybe I'm articulating it poorly, but the thing that really grabbed me about WOTR was that it felt really epic in scope - in ways that justified a lot of the rough edges and broken parts. It felt really ambitious, and while they do a great job of captuing the WORLD in Rogue Trader...it just feels like a much smaller, less driven, and fragmented experience to me. I just don't feel anything pulling me along in the way that the grand narrative in WOTR did, and most of the side stories feel similarly basic/thin.

If I'm going to critique Rogue Trader on the narrative, it's the exploration specifically. Namely the timing of when it occurs. Act 2 is more forgivable, since only one of the four plots feels urgent enough to draw you away from whatever you're doing at face value. So you could reasonably well justify combing the entire expanse as part of the story of Act 2, but Kiava Gamma should probably be handled quick-like since, you know, active heresy.

Act 4 makes no sense for exploration. The sector is in crisis, everything went to poo poo since you got kidnapped, but you've got to deal with Chorda and Winterscale first. In between all that, there's a bunch of new explorations to do that are slapped into systems you've already explored. Some of them are interesting, but they're a chore to find while the narrative definitely encourages you to hurry up with the main plot. From Act 4 onwards there's pretty much no downtime if you give the main quests the urgency they're asking for. If you, of course, realize it is a video game and that Calligos will remain hopelessly lost and the Eldar will not die until you go to Quetza Temer you're free to gently caress around as long as you want. But that's not narratively satisfying.

And all of this would be forgivable in my eyes if the exploration interface was more helpful. Since "rumors" rarely mark themselves complete when you find them, the map itself doesn't make it clear what systems have new anomalies at-a-glance, and even when you get there it isn't always clear what you've previously explored and what is new, Act 4 exploration ACTIVELY sucks balls even while it provides some pretty cool exploration areas (Salis Prime would be amazing if the quest there actually loving worked). Give us a better exploration UI and actually put new systems in for Act 4. That's what I want.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Nice one, cheers

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Thanks for the system traveling tips, also the patch just dropped for consoles if anyone else was waiting for it

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok a few issues:
1) Is anybody else running into an issue where they can offload some cargo but not others. I'm not talking about what a trader will/won't trade but rather 'this pile of Holy Relics can be turned in, this pile can not'. Both piles were full for the record.
2) Why am I getting quest markers on my cargo?

Not being able to select cargo to sell seems like a new bug, I just ran into it too.

Simple fix though is to just click different spots on the cargo's icon. For the left column, clicking on the left side of the cargo icon seems to work, for the right side the far right seems to work. And by icon, I mean the whole text box thing, not just the actual picture. You can hover over different spots to see if it's very slightly getting highlighted, but really you can just click like crazy and eventually find the spot.

It's weird, but it can be worked around

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

How does act 3 happen if Yrliet is dead?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

GoodluckJonathan posted:

What I've heard is that Scalandar doesn't get killed by her, and instead of Yrliet using his info he sells you out to the Drukhari himself.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Oof. In Chapter 4 back in footfall: If you don't return before this and recruit the architect at the bar who gives you the quest to find the hidden caches on the station, you'll find his charred corpse, sentenced to death for the high crime of taking notes on the stations structure for what could only be devious xenos sabotage plots, surrounded by his beloved architecture books. I only forget to recruit him because earlier in my patch history if you went back to the bar the door disappeared so you were trapped.

Kinda killed my motivation to keep playing. There is no more light in this benighted galaxy.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Your xeno expert adviser guy, who is the only person the bad elves left alive when they attacked your capital, shocks the world by turning out to be a traitor.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Sharkopath posted:

Oof. In Chapter 4 back in footfall: If you don't return before this and recruit the architect at the bar who gives you the quest to find the hidden caches on the station, you'll find his charred corpse, sentenced to death for the high crime of taking notes on the stations structure for what could only be devious xenos sabotage plots, surrounded by his beloved architecture books. I only forget to recruit him because earlier in my patch history if you went back to the bar the door disappeared so you were trapped.

Kinda killed my motivation to keep playing. There is no more light in this benighted galaxy.

Don’t worry, even if you do his quest and take him aboard your ship he somehow is still dead. As with many of these little things, owlcat did not properly account for flags or states or anything else.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Preechr posted:

Don’t worry, even if you do his quest and take him aboard your ship he somehow is still dead. As with many of these little things, owlcat did not properly account for flags or states or anything else.

Oh lol, good to know I guess. Still pouring one out for a real one.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I just wish this game had less load screens. So many load screens.

One of the reasons I used those navigator points to shortcut rear end ends of the map and colonies

Sloober fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 30, 2023

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I had the architect guy live! He just was deeply depressed after witnessing the horror of Chorda's reign of terror reestablishment of proper Imperial morality but still wrote a minor, underheralded masterpiece on the architecture of Footfall.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I did a little bit of an exploit last night after realizing that Heavy Weapon Proficiency was -25 and not -50% and being unable to equip the Improved Heavy Bolter by using strength items to equip it and then switching back to shooting skill items after it was on.

Fast forward to tonight, where the game corrects itself after you save and reload. Turns out Argenta doesn't strictly need a heavy bolter to sweep a whole encounter. A heavy flamer works just fine, and is arguably thematic for clearing the Haemonculous' lab on Quetza.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
It just now hit me that the spooky voice says "high momentum" when you get full momentum, and not "humumendum" which I assumed to be some kind of insult in warp language.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Warmachine posted:

I did a little bit of an exploit last night after realizing that Heavy Weapon Proficiency was -25 and not -50% and being unable to equip the Improved Heavy Bolter by using strength items to equip it and then switching back to shooting skill items after it was on.

Fast forward to tonight, where the game corrects itself after you save and reload. Turns out Argenta doesn't strictly need a heavy bolter to sweep a whole encounter. A heavy flamer works just fine, and is arguably thematic for clearing the Haemonculous' lab on Quetza.

I don't know about heavy flamers but I have Argenta in the armor that makes you immune to burning and the flamer with a huge arc spread that's supposed to also set you on fire each use and I'd use nothing but that if I could. I just have this picture of her on flames the entire time sweeping every single room back and forth while the entire rest of the party stays back and shoots anything trying to run.

I have a heavy melta in inventory, been thinking about giving that to her. I also figured a quick way around the nerf to the 2x per burst versatility stacking is to just have one heavy bolter and one heavy stubber and swap between the two.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

pentyne posted:

I don't know about heavy flamers but I have Argenta in the armor that makes you immune to burning and the flamer with a huge arc spread that's supposed to also set you on fire each use and I'd use nothing but that if I could. I just have this picture of her on flames the entire time sweeping every single room back and forth while the entire rest of the party stays back and shoots anything trying to run.

I have a heavy melta in inventory, been thinking about giving that to her. I also figured a quick way around the nerf to the 2x per burst versatility stacking is to just have one heavy bolter and one heavy stubber and swap between the two.

Wait bursts from different burst weapons count as...

What are the odds that Owlcat doesn't actually have a way to track at a high level "type" of attack?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Warmachine posted:

Wait bursts from different burst weapons count as...

What are the odds that Owlcat doesn't actually have a way to track at a high level "type" of attack?

They probably can, actually. A lot of their UI stuff is pretty smart and data driven, for example, they just don't seem to have enough resources on campaign testing.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

emSparkly posted:

It just now hit me that the spooky voice says "high momentum" when you get full momentum, and not "humumendum" which I assumed to be some kind of insult in warp language.

he also says "lumumendum" (low momentum)

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Warmachine posted:

Theres an upgraded flamer in that zone btw, Tox Flamer

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
What determines when they finally let you in the plague quarter in Footfall? I've done every mission that doesn't require going in there, explored the rest of the system, but the sergeant still says they're clearing the mines.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Eschatos posted:

What determines when they finally let you in the plague quarter in Footfall? I've done every mission that doesn't require going in there, explored the rest of the system, but the sergeant still says they're clearing the mines.

Not sure, but if you complete one of the colony planets they should be finished.

BTW don't pass up on the Deadshot Splinter Rifle. Sniper rifle accuracy and damage, but capable of firing a 6-shot burst.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 30, 2023

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

wiegieman posted:

They probably can, actually. A lot of their UI stuff is pretty smart and data driven, for example, they just don't seem to have enough resources on campaign testing.

Fun fact, Larian and Owlcat are essentially the same size.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

emSparkly posted:

I thought it was the enemies saying "I"LL REMEMBER THAT" when you kill a baddie (which is also when you gain momentum)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Theres an upgraded flamer in that zone btw, Tox Flamer

Yeah. I'm pretty sure it's the best standard flamer in the game, with the Drusian Act 4 reputation heavy flamer being the best heavy flamer (and what I currently have Argenta running around with).

Ulfar is a bro. I just wish he didn't have movement problems because maps aren't designed for 2x2 units. Let my ceremite meat hammer charge through cover drat it.

Wrath-badgers.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Warmachine posted:

Ulfar is a bro. I just wish he didn't have movement problems because maps aren't designed for 2x2 units. Let my ceremite meat hammer charge through cover drat it.

Just make him destroy the cover when he moves through it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

pentyne posted:

That's a good point, and both studios have problems with late game content, triggers, and stability.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

wiegieman posted:

That's a good point, and both studios have problems with late game content, triggers, and stability.

Warmachine posted:

Nah, this doesn't fly. BG3 was in early access for several years. Rogue Trader in beta for months. Unless there's some statistical anomalies the likes of which even the Warp itself couldn't produce, that's plenty of time for the kinds of folks who throw their money at beta access to delve deep. Depending on how many units actually move, 1.1% of players could easily be larger than a full time QA team worth of staff. And considering how easy they made it to report a bug (it's on a key combination! And you can point your cursor at the thing that's broke! Pretty slick IMO), they'd have absolutely gotten plenty of feedback.

My assumption is that they either didn't want to expose unfinished work to the public (begging the question of why it was unfinished so late into the development cycle) or they didn't want to spoil the public before launch (which is a buyer-beware problem; if you don't want to experience the story before it's 100% baked, don't volunteer for the beta/early access).

It just doesn't sit right, and I think it's a bit personal to me because I see this kind of thing in my own job...

Quoting myself for posterity here because I noticed how similar both games were with the wheels falling off in the late game. What stood out was that both games had an early access/beta period where only part of the game was available to the participants, which I think is grossly irresponsible if your goal is to actually playtest something and not just hype it for marketing. At least Larian had the sense to call it Early Access, which doesn't have the testing/QA implications that Beta does. Either way, I think both companies failed to use their prerelease phase properly, and seeing as they are both independent companies working in the same genre, I'm less than thrilled with the result.

I'm not sure it would have changed anything, but also we can't assess how releasing the full game would have improved things because they didn't release the full game. Why? Was it not done? (That is rhetorical, the amount of bugs suggests yes.) Were they afraid of spoilers? (That's a coward's excuse and I'll piss and moan about spoiler culture ruining media on a different soap box.) I can't really think of any other reasons to keep the late game content out of early access/beta, but it does not fill me with confidence to see two CRPGs in a row make this exact mistake.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

When have you seen a CRPG come out and be complete and not hosed up on release?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

pentyne posted:

Are you sure? I get the impression that Larian is significantly bigger.

I don't want to count everyone, but as an example BG3 lists 7 people on 'rpg design', 6 people on 'combat design', and 7 on 'system design'. Rogue Trader lists 4 'mechanics designers', 4 'systems designers', and 3 'encounter design' . The difference seems to be more jagged between programmers where I don't have the patience to count everyone, but I see dozens of programmers in a variety of roles on BG3 vs about 20 total on RT.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Press releases and new articles tag Larian and Owlcat as having ~450 employees.

I don't know the specific number working on each game, but the size would indicate they should have somewhat comparable talent pools.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

When have you seen a CRPG come out and be complete and not hosed up on release?

This. I've said it before: if it was easy to make these games without bugs and holes in the content then someone in the last 3 decades would've done it. Content/design side of making these big complicated games full of interconnected systems doesn't really get much easier over time despite the advance of tech in other areas.

The better games eventually get patched into a good state, but at release they were rough.

pentyne posted:

I don't know the specific number working on each game, but the size would indicate they should have somewhat comparable talent pools.

Larian has been only working on BG3's main content for a long time but Owlcat has worked on 2 different games, a bunch of dlc, and may even have future stuff in dev.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

pentyne posted:

That may be but consider that there's been 2 years between Pathfinder WotR and Rogue Trader, and WotR still has DLC under development, meanwhile there's been 6 years between DOS2 and BG3, and DOS2 haven't had any development time spent on DLC.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Warmachine posted:

Quoting myself for posterity here because I noticed how similar both games were with the wheels falling off in the late game.

The problem is that so many players never reach that point. I went away from BG3 really not having liked it because of how loving broken all the triggers got from act 2 onwards yet not a lot of what's discussed mentions broken triggers/bugs and etc.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

VanillaGorilla posted:

Funny. I tried playing WOTR while I await a few more patches and it is not grabbing me AT ALL. Probably for the exact reason you prefer it to RT.

I find “you are the chosen one and you will save the world but first kill these rats” rise to power narratives so samey and forgettable. I’m sure WOTR gets better eventually but I’ve already played for so long and it feels like nothing much has happened. A demon killed a dragon and then I met some forgettable people and went through a forgettable dungeon and I’m boring myself just talking about it.

I have the impression that it eventually gets good but it feels like that goodness is so many hours of trash mob fights away.

RT, on the other hand, gripped me immediately. You start out as someone powerful but new to the job so in a precarious situation. The characters are all very memorable and I genuinely don’t know how this story is going to play out because it’s not really about saving the galaxy, its about making your place in a hostile corner of it. It feels grand but intimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

doingitwrong posted:

Funny. I tried playing WOTR while I await a few more patches and it is not grabbing me AT ALL. Probably for the exact reason you prefer it to RT.

I find “you are the chosen one and you will save the world but first kill these rats” rise to power narratives so samey and forgettable. I’m sure WOTR gets better eventually but I’ve already played for so long and it feels like nothing much has happened. A demon killed a dragon and then I met some forgettable people and went through a forgettable dungeon and I’m boring myself just talking about it.

I have the impression that it eventually gets good but it feels like that goodness is so many hours of trash mob fights away.

RT, on the other hand, gripped me immediately. You start out as someone powerful but new to the job so in a precarious situation. The characters are all very memorable and I genuinely don’t know how this story is going to play out because it’s not really about saving the galaxy, its about making your place in a hostile corner of it. It feels grand but intimate.

The beginning is pretty good so if it's not grabbing you maybe you just don't like fantasy narratives?
I genuinely enjoyed Wrath BUT I used a mod to turn off all the crusade poo poo because it sucks