Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.
I finished SOLAS 128, a very good little puzzle game. The core of it is the well-known "beam of light" puzzle where you use mirrors and other tools to guide lightbeams of various colors to predetermined destinations, but two design features make this game stand out. The first is that in SOLAS 128, each beam of light is actually a stream of evenly spaced particles, moving at a steady pace. This becomes important when two beams intersect: if the beams' particles do not collide the beams simply cross each other without interacting, but if they do collide the beams merge into a single beam moving in a new direction. This provides you with a lot of interesting options when you're dealing with more than one beam.

The other feature is that when you've solved a puzzle, the beam you've guided out of that room becomes the starting point for the next room. This isn't just a matter of presentation: if you go back to the previous room and break the solution, the beam you need for the current room is no longer there. Very quickly the game introduces situations where a puzzle has multiple solutions, but not all of them make it possible to solve the next room's puzzle. This gradually escalates until you find yourself looking at groups of several rooms that have to be considered as a single interconnected puzzle.

If you like this kind of abstract puzzle game, SOLAS 128 is very much worth playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I beat mega man 2, among other mega mans. I guess I'm about 15 years behind the 8 bit nostalgia now, but yes this is a good game. Not as hard as I expected either, although I made liberal use of save states. I played x1 first, then moved onto the classic games. As a kid I tried to play one of the zero games in an emulator, couldn't beat the intro stage/did the grandpa simpson walk in walk out thing, and never touched them again

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Elex II, the latest game by Piranha Bytes. I would recommend this game to nobody, but I couldn't help like it. It's so fuckin janky, you know it got me thinking, there's something about a game like this that makes me feel a little hint of that old time we're all nostalgic for, when these big open world games were so immersive and magical, and I think I -- well, I think it was a little bit to do with that uncanny valley thing. Like, in a better presented, more believable game world, like RDR2, say, I am spending so much time kind of just appreciating the marvels of graphics and presentation that I never don't feel I'm being pandered to. It's like Elex II has so much jank, that instead of the game doing the extra work of creating a believable world, my imagination is doing it. My mind is filling in the gaps that a janky rear end game like Elex leaves.

It sucks though:

• It's almost the same exact plot as the game before
  • Despite the freedom in how the previous game ended, this game follows one canonical start
  • Old characters you killed from Elex 1 come back with barely an explanation
  • Still suffers from that thing where you can't get in a fight with a level 1 rat without a bunch of level 18 bears and mechs and tigers joining the fuckin fight
  • Got an achievement for hoarding like 100,000 items so there's that

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.
I beat Citizen Sleeper, a light RPG where you play as an android trying to escape from the corporation that legally owns it. The game starts when you arrive on the decaying space station Erlin's Eye, having stowed away in the cargo hold of a transport ship, and the entire game takes place on the Eye. The gameplay is quite simple, but it very much captured the feeling of being in a new, unknown place with very little guidance, and desperately trying to survive from day to day while also planning for the long term. The story is mostly presented as text alongside (very pretty!) illustrations of the major characters, and the writing did a good job of making the characters seem like real people, with their own opinions and goals.

There's a few branches in the story, but nothing major; a few of the storylines let you choose between two different options near the end. About halfway through the game I had managed to overcome the initial pressure and gather enough resources that I no longer needed to worry about short-term survival, so at that point the game became more of a visual novel where I could go through the remaining storylines at my leisure (particularly since most of the storylines wait for you to start them). So I could see pretty much everything in one playthrough, but that was fine, the writing remained good all the way through. There's a sequel coming out next year that I'll probably buy.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I finished Dredge

It rules but it is pretty short if you're mainlining the main quest. Great horror fishing game though.

I went for 100% which easily doubled my playtime.

I'm starting The Surge 2 next!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
As I play only the most recent releases, I have beaten Summon Night: Swordcraft Story, released on the GBA in 2006. Fairly simple game and story, pretty fun. I liked crafting new weapons and maxing their TEC out (because my brain is wired like that), getting deeper in the labyrinth, etc. Think I'm going to check out the later games in the series, to see where they go with it.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
This week I beat TCHIA which is an open world adventure game set in a fictional riff on New Caledonia, developed in part by people indigenous to that area. The gimmick in this one is that you can possess/inhabit any animal or natural object in the game world, from birds and cats to dolphins and crabs to rocks and even lanterns. You can use these possessions as modes of traversal or to fling explosives at bad guys or to use your claws to unlock hidden treasure chests. The goal is to rescue your father who has been kidnapped by a mysterious warlord.

EXTREMELY beautiful game modeled on the islands and geology of New Caledonia. Lots of forests, mountain hikes, blue lakes, and diving for pearls in a bioluminescent ocean. Traversal through these spaces feels so drat good. The game is full of little minigames, from rock balancing to diving challenges to races to treasure hunts to claw games to marksmanship with your slingshot. It also has several DDR type ukulele sequences with full song and dance routines.

One of the great things about this game is that you can do or not do any of the minigames you want, there's options to auto-DDR the ukulele scenes or even skip to the next story cutscene if you hate the shrine challenges. The dialogue isn't deep or complex but everything about this was emotionally satisfying and engaging. It feels like a simple game like Alba: Wildlife Adventure but it has some really emotionally moving scenes in it and some surprisingly dark bits. A close analogue to this might be something like BOTW/TOTK and while it is way way WAY simpler mechanically than those, I think it captures the magic of explorations.

If you want a sample of both the traversal mechanics and the humor in this game, here's a little slice of gameplay I posted to twitter:
https://twitter.com/ThatDangPhil/status/1737608040520487131

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

A friend and I completed A Way Out today. It's a pretty decent game where you have 2 characters who share a narrative path, and do a bunch of QTE's to get through different events to help each other out. It is co-op only so you can't try it out by yourself to see if you'd like it first. It's currently 85% off on Steam and I wouldn't pay much more than that tbh, because we beat it in under 6 hours. I bought it based on the premise alone. If you enjoy stuff from Telltale Games you will probably enjoy this.

One downside imo for PC was the required EA Games launcher. I also had to adjust some settings to solve a crash to desktop, but my friend didn't have that problem - solution I used is here https://www.reddit.com/r/origin/comments/n6ug5t/please_help_a_way_out_crashing_to_desktop/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ApSmPvxz1o

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Metal Gear Solid

This and Resident Evil 2 blew my tiny little gamer mind back in 1998 and have never really slid out of my top 10 GOAT list since. That said, it might be about 15 years since I last played MGS.

I found the pace of the game really interesting compared to my memories. The game moves at a real click, and I always thought there was more breathing room between the set pieces, which flow near enough back to back. Even accounting for cutscenes, codec sequences and Kojima just generally huffing his own farts, I found this to move at a really fun pace; albeit at the expense of really needing to engage that much with any stealth. It turns out I must have created a lot of my own fun with the guards back in the day, because in reality there are only a handful of those sections and they pass extremely quickly.

I thought most of the games big moments continued to stand out. This is a fun cast of characters and even with PS1 era visuals, the sense of spectacle to the Hind D fight or seeing Rex for the first time still hit the right notes. Obviously we’ve come a long way since 1998 in terms of voice acting and narrative presentation, but my takeaway from MGS is that the voice actors all sound like they really enjoyed their roles in this game.

Any “age” was mostly felt with the games controls, specifically any action that required precision shooting. Psycho Mantis, the first Sniper Wolf fight, locking onto specific bits of Rex with the Stinger before getting bombarded with missiles, or even just lining up melee attacks during the Liquid fight, all caused me issues.

But yeah.. this was a really sharp and entertaining blast of nostalgia for the Christmas period, and remains a classic IMO.

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 28, 2023

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Tchia is also available as part of the Playstation+ upper-tier game catalog, fyi.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

TheMostFrench posted:

A friend and I completed A Way Out today. It's a pretty decent game where you have 2 characters who share a narrative path, and do a bunch of QTE's to get through different events to help each other out. It is co-op only so you can't try it out by yourself to see if you'd like it first. It's currently 85% off on Steam and I wouldn't pay much more than that tbh, because we beat it in under 6 hours. I bought it based on the premise alone. If you enjoy stuff from Telltale Games you will probably enjoy this.

One downside imo for PC was the required EA Games launcher. I also had to adjust some settings to solve a crash to desktop, but my friend didn't have that problem - solution I used is here https://www.reddit.com/r/origin/comments/n6ug5t/please_help_a_way_out_crashing_to_desktop/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ApSmPvxz1o

I played this with my SO and I liked it well enough but the ending doesn't really work because we both agreed we liked the cop less than the robber so instead of a fierce battle of wills I just stood there and let her kill me until we got that ending

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Beat Dredge earlier today (yesterday now I guess) and that was a fun chill experience. It was far less horror than it presented it as. More horror aesthetic. But it was a well done aesthetic I like and I'm a sucker for fishing in games so it was solid.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I just beat the remake of the original System Shock, and it was pretty incredible. I got introduced to the series with System Shock 2 but never got into the original because it just felt a little too dated. The new one was a lot of fun and kind of makes me pine for an open-world survival horror game. Something where the game just puts you in the middle of an incredibly hostile situation and goes "figure it out, and hope you don't gently caress everything up on the way."

While System Shock 1 wasn't quite that, it was pretty dang close and it was a great time. I started taking notes of voice logs and details when (research) I accidentally lasered earth. I think the only part I didn't like was (Maintenance) Combing through the different isotopes hoping to find the broken one. I think I went through every maze three times until I actually found the one I was supposed to fix

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Speaking of Shock games, I just beat Bioshock Infinite, both because I had recently played Bioshock 2 and loved it and was in the mood for more of that universe, and because I was morbidly curious about the mixed impression legacy it had. It was...well, quite the mixed impression!

------------------
PROS

Game certainly has a lot of razzle-dazzle to its presentation and story, with a lot of crazy events, gorgeous vistas, and highfalutin quantum shenanigans. Basically, it's quite the rollercoaster if you just sit back and let it take you (as long as you don't think about it too hard).

Combat can be quite fun and strategic, what with casting all manner of cool plasmids about, riding skylines to reposition and dive down on enemies, improvising with whatever guns you can find and bringing in all sorts of stuff from tears to flip the odds in your favor, catching supplies from Elizabeth, building an ideal gear set for whatever you want to focus on: it's pretty cool at times and can make you feel like quite the magical swashbuckler.

A lot of companion AI revolving around Elizabeth was pretty neat, with the way she chimes in, explores and interacts with the environment, helps you out in combat, and so on.

CONS

Absolutely not a proper Shock game as it is just an incredibly linear experience mostly revolving around spectacle with some token lore and items tucked away in corners here and there: much more akin to something like Call of Duty, FEAR, Spec Ops The Line, etc.

Combat was severely compromised by the annoying two weapon limit, very limited salt amounts, spongy hitscan enemies, unnecessary execution mechanic, and some just unfair/annoying scenarios like the ghost battle and airship defense (I did play on hard mode, though, so many some of this is my fault).

Story just felt really dumb: moved too fast to let anything breathe or develop naturally and just got overly up its rear end with all sorts of dumb twists and this quantum mumbo-jumbo.
------------

Definitely looking forward to trying out the System Shock remake for some proper Shock gameplay eventually.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Arrrthritis posted:

I just beat the remake of the original System Shock, and it was pretty incredible.

My GOTY for 2023. Just loved it. An extremely memorable experience.

I also really appreciated that there were moments that forced me to consult a guide or write things down in a notepad at my desk.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I have reached the credits for Patrick's Parabox, it's the best block pushing game out there. It uses paradoxes, infinite loops, puzzles that contain themselves, a lot of weird stuff that gets you thinking in strange ways.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

lih posted:

i just finished cocoon and wow was that disappointing. extremely style over substance and very short

the basic idea for the game was interesting, but it didn't really feel like they managed to effectively build upon the worlds-inside-orbs idea much - most of the mechanics they layered on top of that were just not very interesting. the puzzles are largely very straight-forward and streamlined, with only a few interesting ones later in the game, and a few frustrating ones where it didn't feel like the game had properly taught the mechanic required to to solve them or that were overly timing-dependent.

it's also weirdly unfocused? why does this puzzle game have boss fights, which are completely disconnected from the rest of the game mechanically? why are there repeated sequences where you have to aim & shoot projectiles at the right time many times in a row? the bosses are also both uninteresting and punishing - you have to restart the fights after a single hit and they demand just enough precision and are just long enough for them get repetitive quickly.

there are definitely ideas here that could have been the basis for a great game but the result is just lacking. i don't understand the acclaim at all, except that maybe it's a puzzle game for people who don't like puzzles?

i'm only about an hour in but i am kinda glad i read this since i was on the fence about continuing it but i keep dying on this second boss fight. think i'll go ahead and put it down, too many games more interesting than this out there

there's this genre of like... indie top-down puzzle-action game that has cropped up over the past few years and they're just never compelling at all. hob (rip runic) is another example of this. tunic is another one, it had some extra gimmicks that made it more interesting to work through but ultimately didn't connect with me how it did with a lot of other people. just a lot of games in this vein that are "this is really well-crafted and pretty and wow this soundtrack is amazing but wow do i not find any enjoyment out of actually playing it"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I beat the 3DS remake of DKC Returns for the first time in probably close to a decade, and it's very solid overall. There are a couple things specific to the remake that I like a lot. The 3DS was kind of gimmicky, but I like the new 3D depth it added - it looks very nice, but it also helps the gameplay out in faster-moving levels by adding contrast to the foreground/background.

Also, the original's reward for passing all the regular secret stages was one more challenge level at the end, but now that's the capper to an entire new final world with eight levels designed after each preceding world's theme. They do a good job at giving these new gimmicks, or reusing ideas you've seen before but in new ways, and they generally hit a good level of challenge without getting fully into frustration territory like some of the previous late-game levels.

Overall, it's very solid. I didn't make it far enough last time to know that new world had been added, but it would've been a fun time even without that.

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 30, 2023

Ranch Du Bois
Apr 23, 2018
Recently finished Pheonix Wright: Ace Attorney (the first one) and what a great time. I'd always heard about the game but never really thought about playing it until it playing it until it popped up on gamepass. Super unique experience with the writing, the soundtrack, the art -- all of it. I loved the liberty it takes with whatever the hell an attorney does and you're basically just a detective. It was fun to read all the dialogue, especially since it requires you to pay attention to what people are saying compared to what you already know to be true. Good mystery is most of the cases you do, although near the end it feels like the kinds of twists you'll see are more predictable.

Pretty much a visual novel with music that goes HARD

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Has the series affected your ladder opinions?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Just played through all of Pikmin 4 100%, even getting platinum on all the challenges. Don't know why this game hooked me so hard as it did. There's something very satisfying about a plan coming together combined with the overall chill feel of the whole adventure. The dialogue is painful though and night missions involve skipping something like 6 scenes in a row just to get back to playing the game, which is lame. The UI and controls are a bit iffy too.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

abraham linksys posted:

i'm only about an hour in but i am kinda glad i read this since i was on the fence about continuing it but i keep dying on this second boss fight. think i'll go ahead and put it down, too many games more interesting than this out there

there's this genre of like... indie top-down puzzle-action game that has cropped up over the past few years and they're just never compelling at all. hob (rip runic) is another example of this. tunic is another one, it had some extra gimmicks that made it more interesting to work through but ultimately didn't connect with me how it did with a lot of other people. just a lot of games in this vein that are "this is really well-crafted and pretty and wow this soundtrack is amazing but wow do i not find any enjoyment out of actually playing it"

idk i wouldn't really compare cocoon to tunic at all, but i really liked tunic, some of what it does is absolutely brilliant. it's very much a zelda-like with some la mulana-esque (or even fez/the witness-esque) cryptic tendencies a little deeper in, and it's both good at the zelda-style action-adventure and the cryptic puzzles, though the form the puzzles took at the end of the game was less compelling than what came before. i haven't played hob but my impression is it's similarly influenced by zelda? the whole zelda-like approach is just very different to what cocoon (fairly poorly) does

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i just beat bomb rush cyberfunk which i had considered a near-perfect game and put on my GOTY list just before finishing, but i'm actually super pissed about one specific thing: i really thought when you beat the game it'd give you the option to disable the heat system (where the cops come after you when you spray stuff), and it does not! and this completely sapped my desire to go back postgame and mop up all the extra collectables and finish spraying all the levels. that'd easily be another 3-5 hours of fun gameplay if i could just disable the loving cops

can't believe they dropped the ball like that. maybe i should install cheat engine and figure out if i can do something with it? ugh

Pryce
May 21, 2011
I made it through Alan Wake 2. It was too scary for me! But what they did with their narrative and storytelling and level design is unmatched. I love Remedy so much and am so into their dumb interconnected universe stuff. Man I can't wait for a Control 2.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Just finished the main story mode of Ghostwire: Tokyo. A very well-made game with absolutely incredible polish and environment work, with the oddly incomplete narrative that seems to be a tendency with Tango. Of note, play on Normal or lower: the balance on Hard, well, isn't. Enemies have too much health and don't reliably stun with your initial damage output for about the first half of the game, and you'll spend a lot of time with no ammo until you gradually unlock upgrades that break the game.

I'm now jumping into its "long tail" roguelite mode, which seems to have avoided all these issues and is just gorgeous.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 2, 2024

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I beat the Surge 2. I still like the first game better but the second is better in every way except probably level design/environments and story.

Thinking of starting Valkyrie Profile next.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Crash Bandicoot 1

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I just beat Baldur's Gate: The Siege of Dragonspear and it was pretty good! Much better than the reviews made me think it would be lol

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Finished Tyrion Cuthbert: Attorney of the Arcane. Really fun Ace Attorney clone which manages to feel like its own thing story-wise even if its mechanics are 99% copied.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I just beat Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising, a prequel story to Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes, the spiritual successor to Suikoden that releases later this year. Rising is a companion game that was part of a Kickstarter goal. I actually backed the Kickstarter and got Rising at a discount (and so can you, it's 50% off on Steam rn). It's 10-15 hours long.

Unlike the main game, which is a turn-based RPG just like Suikoden, Rising has some light 2D platforming and simple, easy-to-execute action combat.

The premise is simple: Three of the 100 characters you'll eventually recruit in the main game had a cool little adventure, became friends and built a community before the "real" story started. It's essentially Sidequest: The Game. You get sidequests from the townspeople, go into dungeons and gather materials, rinse and repeat. You don't need to do that and just focus on the main story, but it's incentivized and a fairly core part of the game's content and themes.

I was originally not really planning on playing it, but in hindsight I'm really glad I did. The strongest part is the main trio; they're all very charming and I'm really looking forward to having them in my party in the main game. The story is simple but effective.

I'd give it a hearty recommendation to anyone who's planning on playing the main game.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Finished Elevator Action Returns - S-Tribute

Neat little game, they fleshed out an old arcade game by a lot.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i am going to attempt to beat 52 games this year! i will post about them in this thread as i go

i'm thinking about buying a ps5 to play final fantasy 7 rebirth, since i loved remake so much and don't want to wait 1-2 years for a pc version of rebirth. because of this, i'm investigating what the hell else sony has going on that could justify buying that console. i had a base model ps4 that started feeling long in the tooth in like 2017, and haven't touched any of their stuff since then. thankfully, with all the PC ports, I don't need a PS5 (or to pull my now-ancient-seeming ps4 out of storage) to figure out if i'm interested in sony stuff.

I played through and beat Spider-Man Miles Morales, since i wanted to see if i'd be interested in spider-man 2. technically i'm at 90% completion but i'm gonna go back and do that last 10% tonight. it is a fun, short open world game.

i have not played the first spider-man game, and figured i didn't really want to play that kind of huge open world game. a nice thing about buying this instead was that i was doing Cool Spider Man poo poo within 3 minutes of opening the game, and you're in the full open world within maybe half an hour.

i am not really a comic books guy anymore but i did really like the bit of ultimate spider-man i'd read, and it's nice seeing miles morales get this kind of focused treatment. into the spiderverse is cool, but it's got a whole multiverse thing going, whereas this really is just miles and a tiny bit of peter. i was initially annoyed he was getting this "standalone dlc" game instead of a full game treatment, but honestly, the story it tells is better for being a reasonable 6-7 hours instead of an overlong epic.

story notes: love this version of aaron/the prowler and i hope he survives the next game instead of being "tragic backstory part 2" like in the original comics and into the spiderverse. seriously was waiting for the shoe to drop on him and instead, no, he fully has a change of heart. even his heroic sacrifice is just going to jail instead of getting himself killed.

great, if one-note, main bad guy, but i wish they'd had a more interesting mcguffin than just "mysterious energy source." like i kept expecting them to reveal the energy source was alien in nature or stolen from wakanda or something, because, yknow, marvel comic book stuff? but nope, its just a mysterious fuel that gives you bone cancer. maybe this was revealed in one of the podcasts, which i immediately turned off. i wish those had just had transcripts i could read.

mixed feelings on phin. HATED the big last act problem being that she was going to unknowingly blow up the whole neighborhood and miles just couldn't get through to her because he's a massive dumbass. there could have been way more nuance to that conflict and it made me angry in a bad way. that said, they stuck the landing; even the cliched "walk slowly forward because you're injured and then do a very emotional button-mash QTE" sequence worked for me. wish she'd stuck around instead of heroically exploding herself.

i liked the combat though it never clicked quite to the extent that i wanted. particularly, i felt like i was constantly missing the "dodge this" indicator due to how busy the screen is. also could not keep track of which moves i was supposed to use to counter which enemies for the life of me. the stealth i had a ton of fun with even though it is hilariously shallow, almost a direct clone of the stuff the arkham games did just with a bit more mobility. don't think that would work at all in a longer game, i dunno.

a neat thing about this game, btw, is that it works pretty great on steam deck. mostly-steady 40fps (only a few rooftop combat arenas brought it down to 30), feels good when frame-limited, and even when it's at its lowest dynamic resolution it still looks good on the small screen. was fun to do the big story missions on my desktop and then mop up the side stuff on the deck. i'm not going to truly 100% the game because the achievements go well beyond just doing all the stuff on the map, and you have to do new game plus which i have no interest in, but i'll at least finish the map before uninstalling it, just cuz it's so easy to pull up on the deck and play a bit at a time. snappy loading times too.

normally after doing a big AAA extravaganza i'd switch to something small and indie, but i'm still off work this week due to covid, so i'm thinking of continuing my sony investigation and picking up god of war while it's still on sale. or maybe i should just go full sicko mode and buy the first spider-man and go ahead and play through that? probably better to have a game between em, though.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 3, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I love all the Spidey games, but they're definitely more of the same with tweaks along the way. Probably good to break them up with something else if your first thought on beating MM wasn't "I want more of this general combat system, stat!".

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
For whatever the value of "Beat" is with a MMO, I finished the MSQ of Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers and I am just gushing all over about this silly little MMO that, by all rights, should have been another chapter in the ongoing saga of Square-Enix being some of the stupidest idiots in the room.

Also I am now throughly convinced that Yoshida saw that fake review Yahtzee made of Duke Nukem' Forever and decided on a whim to make it a dare between him and the scenario writing team.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Beat Cyberpunk: Phantom Liberty last night. Just working on getting the last couple of endings for trophies, but it's good. It follows the rest of the game in not really having a 'best' ending, but I quite like the whole thing. Definitely one of the best DLCs in recent memory.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Beaten Super Mario Bros Wonder

A proper sequel to Super Mario Bros. 3 - inventive, fresh, and constantly surprising.

Nintendo has finally shed all traditions for Mario platformers and focused on making the games fun first and foremost which makes this one of the, if not THE best side-scrolling Mario adventure.

Even without the gimmick of Wonder seeds every level is inventive and unique, usually featuring at least one new enemy, which is insane for modern Mario. I always wanted to see what was waiting for me next. I believe there are around 50 new enemies without even counting variations, and even while some enemies can be described as an "underwater koopa", presentation goes a long way to not make them feel like that.

Speaking of, presentation of this game is sublime. Even if you do venture through grasslands, beaches, deserts, and volcanoes, they always feel different. My favorite was the desert world which took a theme I usually find boring and applied some incredibly creative themes as well as jaw-droppingly stunning backgrounds.

If there is one thing that I wished this game had is more challenge. The game has tons of assist options: additional characters that take no damage, badges, and quite a few small "break time" levels which will surely help less experienced players get enough wonder seeds to open up new levels and progress. Despite that, it never really wanted to be as hard as it could be. I've cleared one of the very final post-game levels in three tries without help from any badges. Again, don't get me wrong, it was a spectacular level, but I wish game had just a few more levels in the vein of Mario World post-game or even extra levels of 3D World.

Hell, maybe I'm so Mario-poisoned I don't know what a hard Mario level is anymore, but there is final-final level which actually is absolutely fantastic and is so hard that I lost around 50 lives on it.

This game is a joy, much like most Mario games are, even if I do wish it was a tiny bit longer and harder.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I hope this thread sticks around. It's a great place to see who is playing what and talk about games we finished.

Anyways, I finished Tyrion Cuthbert Attorney of the Arcane. Great game for ace attorney fans. Really stands on its own in the later half. Can't wait to see what they do with a potential second game.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Finished In Stars and Time last night. Overall I liked it but I don't think I could recommend it. The core concept centers around an RPG party right before they storm the castle and fight the Big Bar. However, the main character is stuck in a time loop and goes back to the day before every time he dies. You have to leverage this skill to safely make it to the end of the adventure.

It's very cute! However, it needs like a third of the run time cut out; about half of chapters three and four are spinning the wheels and not really adding anything interesting from a story or mechanical perspective. If you go into it I highly recommend using a guide when you hit the point you're not really enjoying the exploration aspect.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Finished all of Phantom Liberty. It's strange saying goodbye to Night City a second time, I found myself just sort of wandering around taking in the sites, before heading to the Glen Apartment, taking a nap and just sorta...looking at the skyline from the balcony. It's such an incredibly-realized location with some excellent characters, I feel once again like I'm leaving a place I've lived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

just beat hi-fi rush. played it on hard my first go because I'm bullheaded, just over 13 hours.

what a loving incredible game. the idea is that it's simultaneously a beat-'em-up spectacle fighter and a rhythm game. every attack you make comes out on the beat, with extra damage if you hit on time, and enemy attacks come on the beat too. it's a fairly usual toolkit, extremely well done, of light attacks, heavy attacks, super attacks, partner attacks, dodges, and parries, enhanced by a grappling hook, all of which reward you for being on beat - and even the environment blinks and bounces to the tunes. which are really good. it starts with the black keys' lonely boy and nine inch nails' 1,000,000 and never lets up, though at the same time it jumps between genres with aplomb. as for my personal taste, having sequences late in the game start blasting invaders must die and perfect drug were the most goddamn fun I've had in years. and the in-house songs are excellent as well. when the credits had shinji mikami as executive producer I understood: you've done it again, you beautiful bastard.

honestly, the only problems I had are that the platforming is fairly unexciting, the multiple enemy shield types that different partner attacks counter are a bit finicky, and there's a few typos in the text. but those are nothing. and now that the credits have finished rolling I see that there's a whole postgame deal that I'm super looking forward to. play this loving game