Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
in fact, i just beat several video games, and this is a thread for talking about the video game(s) you just beat.

is there a greater accomplishment than this? no, there isn't, and we should celebrate each and every one of the games you have decimated with your gamer skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4I-RJvP6mY

(lunacid ) (steam deck)

a really wonderful king's field-like. it's surprisingly short, maybe 10-12 hours, and it's one of those that easily could have been so much less than it is. it's not very difficult, and the combat and gameplay are pretty simple, but the combination of immaculate vibes, locations, limited saves, bopping music, and sense of mystery really come together to make it a fun and interesting game. it's the kind of game that has a lot of identical corridors but somehow you don't mind while playing. areas which seem incredibly difficult at first gradually open up, once you find suitable weapons and spells for them. the secrets feel significant. big recommend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3taEuVwhhM

night at the gates of hell (steam deck)

weird game, but very fun to play. a first person survival horror zombie game with incredibly tasteless but funny writing. relatively short, at about 3 or so hours, and janky as hell, but both scary and memorable. the story really goes places and the game made me laugh a lot in between spooking me out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUJtwXtMq1U

calcium contract (pc)

my favourite FPS this year. another short one, clocking in at around 3-4 hours, but with incredibly fun and intense gameplay. it's a really pared down FPS, with a load of interesting mechanics like always resetting your weapons when starting a level, a time rewind mechanic for when you die, enemies that support each other and debilitate you, a really huge roster of things to fight, a weird story about you being a grim reaper given a contract (the titular calcium contract) to go fight this giant chicken snake who's messing up the natural order of things.

i recently played through turbokill which was four times as long but equally as intense and it was so much worse for it. it goes on for a way too long. calcium contract really leaves you wanting more.

dark souls 2 (for the 4th or 5th time, can't remember) (steam deck)

this game rocks and i'll play it forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Lunacid is the only of those first three I've heard of before this, but those are some interesting picks.
I do approve of Dark Souls 2 gaming.

I beat The Painscreek Killings (PC) a few weeks back. Was alright, but didn't quite hold up to the promise of detective gaming. It's really more of an adventure game with more area to roam about, with a few annoying puzzles to boot. It's a little free-form, at least, but does eventually block enough behind finding some key items to narrow to the endgame, and despite decently pacing the revelations of what went down it kind of hands the answers over at the end, too. Also it's kind of continually amusing that everybody who moved out of town just left so much junk (including their many diaries) lying around.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Hogama posted:

I beat The Painscreek Killings (PC) a few weeks back. Was alright, but didn't quite hold up to the promise of detective gaming. It's really more of an adventure game with more area to roam about, with a few annoying puzzles to boot. It's a little free-form, at least, but does eventually block enough behind finding some key items to narrow to the endgame, and despite decently pacing the revelations of what went down it kind of hands the answers over at the end, too. Also it's kind of continually amusing that everybody who moved out of town just left so much junk (including their many diaries) lying around.

I got this because I like detective games and also it was kinda giving me INFRA vibes, but I was immediately put off by its terrible journal. I found a newspaper article pretty much restating the premise of the game - gets recorded in the journal. Inn guestbook listing who stayed in which room, looks like a loving clue to me - not in a journal. Missing persons flyer - potentially a clue? - not in a journal. I like taking notes for puzzles, but this just seems like pointless busywork.

Anyway, just finished Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name - amazing, can't wait for LAD 8, no notes.

Previously completed Alan Wake in preparation for 2 - pretty cool game, shooting gameplay not the greatest, but great atmosphere. Still holds up. Wanted to also check out American Nightmare, but it doesn't run for me, even on compatibility mode. Oh well.

Slay the Princess - one of the best games this year for me. Got 3 endings, I wanna space it out a bit so I have put it off for now but I'll definitely come back to this. Going by Steam achievements I've probably only seen half of the game.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

i just wanted to say congrats for beating all your games

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

good job son but remember to have fun with your friends

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I beat star ocean 2 r and it's good. I also beat halo.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I recently beat Jedi Knight and Jedi Outcast.

Jedi Knight had way better level design, gunplay and in a way felt a bit more Star Warsy even though the graphics are pretty naff these days.

Jedi Outcast had better lightsaber combat and force powers. But I was really surprised how much the gunplay, characters and level design kinda sucked. There was a lot of: "Ha ha gently caress you" throughout the whole game in terms of enemy placement, puzzle solutions and general bullshittery.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have completed 100 games this year. :> at some point I should do an effort post talking about all of them as it ranges anywhere from 2023 released AAA games, to retro neo-geo arcade titles.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I just recently beat Hi-Fi Rush and it's a drat good game. I have absolutely no rhythm but the game (at least on normal mode) is very forgiving. The soundtrack is great, it's colorful and silly and doesn't take itself remotely seriously, and you can clear it through relatively quickly and just move on if you want, or push for the secret ending which is hilariously great. Or if you're insane you can try and complete every single challenge (I didn't enjoy it THAT much).

Plus it has a cat!

https://i.imgur.com/mh9cYLh.mp4

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Within the last couple of weeks, I've beaten two games:

Microcivilization is an overpriced clicker game that I can't really recommend to anybody not interested in its specific conceit of spanning the ages. I blasted through all the meaningful content in about 6 hours and then the next 12 hours was spent 100%ing all the achievements, which should tell you something about its design sensibilities. The dev is actively committed to making it better though, so despite myself I will probably keep checking in on it to see if future content releases do anything interesting.

On the other hand, I can't recommend Waves of Steel highly enough. A Goon-made arcade cavalcade of naval destruction, both in the sense that you are sending a boat rocketing off across the waves at unsafe speeds and destroying many other boats in the process. It took me about 13 hours to get through all of it (...well, technically I didn't finish the boat race sections, but those involve a level of finesse that the rest of the game isn't really asking from you), and it was a highly enjoyable experience. Even when I was frustrated at losing a particular mission, it just encouraged me to go back into the ship builder and figure out how to slap more missiles on top of a surfboard until nothing remained standing in my way.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jerusalem posted:

I just recently beat Hi-Fi Rush and it's a drat good game. I have absolutely no rhythm but the game (at least on normal mode) is very forgiving. The soundtrack is great, it's colorful and silly and doesn't take itself remotely seriously, and you can clear it through relatively quickly and just move on if you want, or push for the secret ending which is hilariously great. Or if you're insane you can try and complete every single challenge (I didn't enjoy it THAT much).

Plus it has a cat!

https://i.imgur.com/mh9cYLh.mp4

The comedic timing in Hi-Fi Rush is so good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

The comedic timing in Hi-Fi Rush is so good.

The little cutscene after the Security Boss fight cracks me up every time I think about it.

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money
Wizard with a Gun was pretty entertaining then the ending is a single screen of text stating the rest is coming later then credits roll.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Beat FF4 pixel remaster last night on my journey of beating 1-15.

It was… fine. Overall I liked FF3 more but as far as quality they are about the same. Wasn’t as good as I heard and I’m mostly just excited to start FF5 again.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I "beat" Vampire Survivors last week, or rather I stumbled across the credits of the game after a long time chasing down the various unlock requirements for a bunch of stuff.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

drkeiscool posted:

i just wanted to say congrats for beating all your games

thank you, however, there are even more games. i have a three tiered backlog system because gaming in 2023 is too blessed and my cup runneth over

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i also enjoyed reading what games everyone beat :)

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
OG Uncharted 3 pissed me off so much I beat the disc a lot with my fists

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Most recently Cocoon and Dave the Diver

Cocoon was a pretty pristine experience, loved everything about it with the small caveat that some stuff for the platinum is somewhat easily missable and not so easily to figure out how to backtrack for. But totally worth the time. Great visual style and great puzzle mechanics

Dave the Diver I think was more uneven for me than a lot of people, as I didn't always love the undersea combat, but everything else was really solid and I got hooked into the gameplay loop despite the combat annoying me. It was fun to play this and then start watching Planet Earth 3 and see some of the same cool critters in the ocean episode

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

emdash posted:

Dave the Diver I think was more uneven for me than a lot of people, as I didn't always love the undersea combat, but everything else was really solid and I got hooked into the gameplay loop despite the combat annoying me. It was fun to play this and then start watching Planet Earth 3 and see some of the same cool critters in the ocean episode

I ended up googling most of the weirder animals in Dave the Diver, because the sawblade shark was something I had trouble believing was real. But in fact it's awesome.

Yesterday I beat American Arcadia, which was a pretty decent 2.5d platform-y puzzler. I liked the shifts between the more regular gameplay and the video interludes.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I recently beat Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth which still this many years later is so unique. There’s nothing else like it. I wonder why no one ever (successfully) worked with its ideas again because there’s plenty to improve or expand upon.

I ended up buying the newish game, Valkyrie Elysium, even though I heard it was mediocre and not like the old games. It was cheap for black friday.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

My 5.5 year old and I just finished Lunistice. It isn’t doing anything new but it’s $5 for maybe 3 hours of very good 3D platforming with a nice difficulty curve and great vibes. There’s some collectible/post-game stuff but I think we’re good calling it here and trying something new. Easy recommendation.

Other young kid/chill vibes games - all of the Cats Hidden In games. Each is maybe 30-45 minutes for her to complete and there’s just enough fun hidden things to find. The cities are very intricately drawn and fun to just look around if you at all enjoy maps or game worlds.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
I finished both Super Mario RPG and Super Mario Wonder. I’ve never played the SNES RPG, and I loved it so much. Did not realize just how much of its heart ends up in Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi, even down to some of the sounds, enemies, and music.

Wonder was cool but I’m glad it was six instead of eight worlds. I loved how they handled multiplayer in it, felt like a really chill way to enjoy the presence of other players without the chaos.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Finished Slay the Princess yesterday and I think I saw the vast majority of the content through two full runs and some saveloading. It's alright, but wouldn't personally recommend.

Finished Teardown earlier in the week, the game loop is probably hit-or-miss for some, but I personally loved it and hit 100% on all levels. They continue to mix things up for the entire game.

Wife and I finally finished Baldur's Gate 3, something like 140 hours or so slowly stretched over the time since it released. We had a relatively bug-free run and it ended up being an absolutely incredible game (and definitely our GOTY). We followed it up with Underground Blossom which was pretty weak considering the strength of the other recent entries in the Rusty Lake series.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
i recently got a ++ cogmind win and i feel like my life is going to be good from now

Lisztless
Jun 25, 2005

E-flat affect

I just beat Alan Wake 2. It has shockingly good visual and sound design, which is no surprise coming from Remedy. But it’s a bad video game. Nearly all of the moment to moment gameplay is deeply unfun, full of baffling game design choices that feel pulled from another era, and the self-indulgent plot is as deep as a puddle. The game about writing is in dire need of an editor.

Play Control instead, or if you’re looking for spooky northwest vibes, play Deadly Premonition. You’ll have a better time with either.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

emdash posted:

Most recently Cocoon and Dave the Diver

Cocoon was a pretty pristine experience, loved everything about it with the small caveat that some stuff for the platinum is somewhat easily missable and not so easily to figure out how to backtrack for. But totally worth the time. Great visual style and great puzzle mechanics

I beat Dave the Diver a couple weeks ago and yeah, I think the combat is the weakest part. The final boss was cool as hell, though, and overall I really enjoyed the game a lot, even with a few gripes.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

I beat the campaign of Opus Magnum yesterday, but I went back and redid some of the last levels

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I just finished my first successful run of Noita yesterday.
A handy, spoiler-free newbie guide told me the very basics of wand crafting and potion usage, and to take my time and farm gold in the easier areas in relative peace. I used a digging spell to make my regular pew-pew wand into a rapidfire one, which also gave it minor digging capabilities so I spent a while digging through the levels for more items and gold. I lucked out and found a thunder explosion spell that went perfectly with my enemies explode on death + explosion immunity perk, and it let me just blast through the levels and focus on picking more and more defensive perks.
The levels past the fourth one were completely new to me, I had no clue what to expect from the enemies and the environment so I tried my best to just keep my distance, clear enemies from far away and just head for the level exits asap. At one of the last shops before the bossfight at the bottom, I found a wand that chain-casted like 20 tentacles every time you used it, and it instantly deleted the boss while my game slowed down to a slideshow for around a minute.
What a crazy fun game, and there's apparently a ton of side content and secrets to explore once you get an appropriately powerful run going, can't wait to get deeper into it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've played over 160 hours of Noita, beaten the game twice, and apparently have still seen only roughly 4% of everything there is to see in the game. It's loving insane (and fantastic).

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

junan_paalla posted:

I just finished my first successful run of Noita yesterday.
A handy, spoiler-free newbie guide told me the very basics of wand crafting and potion usage, and to take my time and farm gold in the easier areas in relative peace. I used a digging spell to make my regular pew-pew wand into a rapidfire one, which also gave it minor digging capabilities so I spent a while digging through the levels for more items and gold. I lucked out and found a thunder explosion spell that went perfectly with my enemies explode on death + explosion immunity perk, and it let me just blast through the levels and focus on picking more and more defensive perks.
The levels past the fourth one were completely new to me, I had no clue what to expect from the enemies and the environment so I tried my best to just keep my distance, clear enemies from far away and just head for the level exits asap. At one of the last shops before the bossfight at the bottom, I found a wand that chain-casted like 20 tentacles every time you used it, and it instantly deleted the boss while my game slowed down to a slideshow for around a minute.
What a crazy fun game, and there's apparently a ton of side content and secrets to explore once you get an appropriately powerful run going, can't wait to get deeper into it.

If you want a hint for a good "first secret":

Head back up to the mines, and go left.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I beat the FF7 Remake (finally) the other day, and now I'm extremely hype for part 2. It's probably going to be what spurs me to get a PS5

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

goethe.cx posted:

I beat the FF7 Remake (finally) the other day, and now I'm extremely hype for part 2. It's probably going to be what spurs me to get a PS5

Yes, but did you beat it with the Nailbat? It makes all the cutscenes with cloud better.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I just beat the Mass Effect trilogy. Enjoyed my time with Shep and the gang but it kind of ended with a whimper imo.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I just beat Super Mario RPG remake and it was pretty dang great.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

Lisztless posted:

I just beat Alan Wake 2. It has shockingly good visual and sound design, which is no surprise coming from Remedy. But it’s a bad video game. Nearly all of the moment to moment gameplay is deeply unfun, full of baffling game design choices that feel pulled from another era, and the self-indulgent plot is as deep as a puddle. The game about writing is in dire need of an editor.

Play Control instead, or if you’re looking for spooky northwest vibes, play Deadly Premonition. You’ll have a better time with either.

I loved Alan Wake, is the gameplay the same or did they make it worse for no reason? I love most of Remedy's stuff (couldn't get into MP3) and the plot from what I've seen and the style and the music looks like AW2 is going to be great. Am I going to hate it if I loved the first, even 100% the manuscript? Cos if they made the gameplay worse (less interactive) it's going to be the gaming disappointment of several years.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Crossposting from Lies of P thread. It took me a long time to finish this game because I wasn't a big fan of it initially but it was worth it.

It's still feels a lot jankier than Souls games but it has its own identity and a very satisfying conclusion. Also some really cool weapons and puppet arms you can use. If you are a fan of Nier games you should definitely play this one.

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

Desdinova posted:

I loved Alan Wake, is the gameplay the same or did they make it worse for no reason? I love most of Remedy's stuff (couldn't get into MP3) and the plot from what I've seen and the style and the music looks like AW2 is going to be great. Am I going to hate it if I loved the first, even 100% the manuscript? Cos if they made the gameplay worse (less interactive) it's going to be the gaming disappointment of several years.

It's pretty divisive I guess, I'm seeing a lot of people have really extreme negative reactions but I think it feels like someone took the kind of mushy, OK feeling Alan Wake combat and then applied heavy inspiration from newer action and survival horror stuff to tighten it up. It's not perfect, but definitely doesn't feel anywhere close to a "bad game" to me. I have seen some weird takes elsewhere kind of pushing that it's some sort of walking simulator or something, which is ridiculous hyperbole imo. Definitely not "less interactive" at all.

In my mind it just feels like you threw better gunplay together with the light mechanics of AW1 and more puzzles and exploration, stuff to find etc. You get hassled less by constant enemy spawns and there's often a bit more downtime to allow for heavier exploration elements, but it never felt aimless or meandering to me since there's plenty to find and do most of the time. The more open areas remind me of the better parts of Evil Within 2.

I've played and really enjoyed all of Remedy's games (even Quantum Break) and Alan Wake 2 is for me the best of their post-Max Payne stuff. Control was great as a power fantasy with some really killer design but had a really dogshit RNG loot (+ randomized missions, grinding samey dungeons etc) system with a kajillion +X% to Y equippables bursting out of everything (and a limited inventory! hope you like hitting disassemble!) that added way too much pointless menu busywork, and the damage curve on the weapons except for the throw was really hosed by the last 1/4 of the game. Plus the narrative was pretty loose and muddy, never really felt like it came together to anything as great as it felt like it could with the pieces that were on the table. AW2 IMO avoids at least most of the missteps I feel like they ran into the last 3 games.

Blankspace fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 26, 2023

Lisztless
Jun 25, 2005

E-flat affect

Desdinova posted:

I think if you’re a superfan of the first one then you owe it to yourself to play the new one regardless of any critique. The game is clearly a passion project designed by people who loved the original. For me, my memories of the first are hazy, and the game really treats it like a proper sequel, as though you played the original yesterday. So a lot of it fell flat based on my own disinterest in the plot, some of which is due to my treating this like a game I could just pick up and play at a friend’s recommendation.

I don’t think it’s necessarily less interactive than the first, if anything there’s more variety there, but I found the execution of all of their additions to be insufficient. But the comparison to a walking simulator is bogus. If we’re talking other genres, I want the Remedy FMV game they very clearly want to make. I hope they make it soon, and I will probably enjoy it.

Blankspace posted:

Control was great as a power fantasy with some really killer design but had a really dogshit RNG loot (+ randomized missions, grinding samey dungeons etc) system with a kajillion +X% to Y equippables bursting out of everything (and a limited inventory! hope you like hitting disassemble!) that added way too much pointless menu busywork, and the damage curve on the weapons except for the throw was really hosed by the last 1/4 of the game. Plus the narrative was pretty loose and muddy, never really felt like it came together to anything as great as it felt like it could with the pieces that were on the table. AW2 IMO avoids at least most of the missteps I feel like they ran into the last 3 games.

I understand that this philosophy doesn’t work for everybody, but I took a look at those elements when they were introduced and decided “that looks like poo poo, I’m not engaging with that unless I have to.” And so my opinion of Control is a little more positive. (Plus I loved the throw power.) I don’t mean to excuse them, they should have been better, but at least they’re optional.

I do agree about the plot being muddy though - and AW2 has the same problem. Just because dream logic is at play doesn’t mean that you get a pass on not tying things together or failing to create emotional scenes.

Lisztless fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I picked up an old run of Dark Souls:Remastered, which was stuck on Artorius and Seeth. I didn't achieve my goal of clearing Manus. I was exploring the Kiln and I got so drat excited when I saw I had saved Solaire and forgotten all about it. So I just charged in. The final boss is pretty easy with a Sun Bro. :toot: