Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

All hail satan. His prophet, me, demands it.

McKracken posted:

What's the deal with Humankind? I enjoy Civ VI but I am somewhat bored with it at this point because I've fallen into the rut of having an optimized play style and I've been playing the series for almost 2 decades so it's getting a bit samey.

I've played Endless Space 1 & 2 and while they didn't blow me away, it was entertaining enough, so I've been considering trying their other stuff.

The best Amplitude game is Endless Legend, if you missed that, play that.

Every faction has a completely assymetric twist that makes them unique to play and they all have a storyline that makes at least one playthrough per faction worthwhile. Most of the DLC are also extremely good, particularly the ones that add new factions - they're all done as well as the base game ones.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
^^ Seconding the notion to go play EL, their best game. It even has a community patch to amp up the computer players and balance things, it's that beloved.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

do not post these heretical thoughts anywhere near the sea of thieves thread.

but imo the pve aspect of sea of thieves is pretty good these days with a bunch of variety and quests to do, and there is now a 'private' gamemode with no pvp. i like a good clusterfuck so i only play pvp, but if you have a friend or three it's a great hanging out game as the gameplay is intentionally rather slow paced and easy to handle as it wants you to spend time in activities so that people can find you to do pvp. it's probably a good podcast game for a solo player.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ragequit posted:

What's the next cream of the crop in the Vampire Survivors genre? There are so many that sprung up, I don't even know where to begin.

Check out Spell Disk, I haven't fallen for a game this hard since Vampire Survivors. It's fantastic and gets better with each patch. I've got 40+ hours in it, and I just got it on like the 10th. Just a fantastic game.

Edit: hail satan

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 30, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hail Satan

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

hail satan

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So do we know if Everspace 2 is leaving game pass any time soon? I am interested and I see it is on there so I was wondering if I should get it while on sale.

Hail Satan

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Hail Satan

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Whew boy did I bounce off Everspace 2 hard. Skill issue I know but I absolutely hate the controls and switching the modes a couple times didn't help. Maybe if I could get it to control more like No Man's Sky?

It also crashed my M3 Macbook so time for a refund, dang.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hail Satan implies that there's Rain Satan and Snow Satan.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

hey, Satan!

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

hail satan

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Recent game impressions:

Bioshock Infinite: Just beat this. It was quite the rollercoaster ride with all sorts of flashy spectacle and complex themes, alongside some decent combat at times from all the cool plasmids, tear usage, skyrails and so on. But in the end the story felt badly paced and dumb, moving too fast to let anything develop and just throwing a bunch of quantum mumbo-jumbo to make it seem much more than what it was, and the combat's potential was compromised by the two weapon limit, spongy enemies, and more. And if it wasn't obvious, it just wasn't a proper Shock game. Meh.

Sifu: Great beat-em-up: it's like a combination of Sekiro and God Hand, my two favorite games, and I'm loving it so far. Feels great to get better and better at the intricacies of combat and be able to make it through levels that previously aged you to death but now just tack on a few years here and there. Presentation is super stylish too: loved some of the spectacular visuals of the Club and Museum levels. And it never gets old going all Ip Man on baddies, rapid-punching them like crazy!

Roboquest: Very fun action-roguelike FPS akin to something like Gunfire Reborn, Borderlands, and Deadlink: so many cool guns to play around with, so many great classes with neat perks that create all sorts of game-changing build permutations, and the movement and gunplay feels so drat slick and smooth. Even tried coop a bit and it was fun to watch each others back.

Granblue Fantasy Versus Rising: I've recently been enjoying Street Fighter 6 with its modern controls, and with this being an anime version of that and having a F2P mode, I had to give this a go and found it to be pretty cool! Was impressed how much of my skills I was able to transfer over successfully, and the game is quite polished with a good tutorial, rollback netcode, and so forth. If you're ever been on the fence about fighting games and like anime, maybe give this a go: it's free after all!

RabiRibi: Just beat the 'main game': I was just playing normally and really didn't expect it to escalate so suddenly, stick me in this brutal chain of final bosses, and then end with so much unexplained, haha! Looking forward to exploring the 'post game'. For a game that was so aggressively anime that I stayed away from it, I'm glad I eventually caved as its been a delight: maybe I'll have to give Neon White a go at this rate since I've been avoiding it for similar reasons.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 30, 2023

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Free copy of Paradise Killer to a lucky goon for page 666

52ZHX-DJHKG-2LHD7

Drakonis
Dec 18, 2011

"That will go down among my worst boners."

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Free copy of Paradise Killer to a lucky goon for page 666

52ZHX-DJHKG-2LHD7

Thank you very much

hail satan

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Heel Seitan

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

hail Satan, note that Sifu has an easy mode now. So even if you are old and bad at games like me you can have a good time with it.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Praise Lucifer

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

John Murdoch posted:

I still don't get what people see in Halls of Torment, but maybe the demo is just a poor representation of the full game.

The game has a pretty slow start so the demo doesn't convey properly the actual speed at which the game plays out once you get gears and talents going

Your best options in the genre at the moment are:

Vampire Survivors (it's still amazing, though IMO it's been a bit overtaken by newer, more visually-polished titles, unless all you want is visual absurdity)
Halls of Torment (late early access, quite a bit of content at the moment, pretty much every patch has been great)
Brotato (arena maps, wave-based combat, lots of focus on intense, fast-paced action and player skill wrt movement)
Boneraiser Minions (an absurd amount of content and variety - your minions do the killing for you while you focus on evasion)
HoloCure (amazing considering it's a solo dev's passion project - tons of character variety, cute pixel art style, the fact it's Vtubers means the characters are very visually distinct - it's also entirely free)
Spelldisk (midway through early access, I haven't played this one yet but lots of people like it)

Then you have a few more options that scratch the itch but may or may not be what you're looking for. Just to list a couple:
Rogue Genesia (As visually wild as Vampire Survivors but it takes on a level progression tree like Slay the Spire)
Soulstone Survivors (Lots of content, but ATM it's too visually busy for its own good and it requires constant spam of the space bar to dodge)
Army of Ruin (a more pleasant-to-the-eyes version of Vampire Survivors, a metric ton of content, it won't wow anyone but it's an extremely competent clone)

Death May Die has the potential to be a great game (bad dialogue aside) but IMO it's too early to call it just yet, it just went into early access halfway through November.

Azran fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 30, 2023

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Any good Satan games?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Azran posted:

wrt movement

I feel like I'm probably an idiot as I stare at my keyboard, but what is wrt movement?

e: hail satan

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

credburn posted:

I feel like I'm probably an idiot as I stare at my keyboard, but what is wrt movement?

e: hail satan

with regards to movement :v: It felt weird to say 'player movement skill', just to clarify I meant actual skill and not like an ability or anything

Orv
May 4, 2011
Walk without rhythm if you don’t want no scrub

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Leal posted:

Any good Satan games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQEvRM5amL4

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Roadwarden completely consumed my last few days, it’s incredibly good y’all. Weirdly enough, I’m getting STALKER vibes despite them not really having anything in common in most aspects.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Ragequit posted:

What's the next cream of the crop in the Vampire Survivors genre? There are so many that sprung up, I don't even know where to begin.

IMO Brotato is probably the one which adds the most to VS. The timed shorter levels are fun, and it really makes you think a lot more about your builds/gives them a much more unique identity.

Two to mention not on the previous list:

MobMania. It has some creative weapons with interesting methods of attacking. A solid VS option. Also has coop.

God of Weapons- basically backpack hero and Brotato combined. Short time based waves plus an inventory Tetris system. Imo not better than either of its apparent inspirations tho.

tildes fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Dec 30, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Leal posted:

Any good Satan games?

Void Stranger

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Leal posted:

Any good Satan games?

the Witcher 3 expansion

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Any good satin games?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

FutureCop posted:

RabiRibi: Just beat the 'main game': I was just playing normally and really didn't expect it to escalate so suddenly, stick me in this brutal chain of final bosses, and then end with so much unexplained, haha! Looking forward to exploring the 'post game'. For a game that was so aggressively anime that I stayed away from it, I'm glad I eventually caved as its been a delight: maybe I'll have to give Neon White a go at this rate since I've been avoiding it for similar reasons.

If you enjoyed that game, TEVI just released from the same dev and the consensus is that it improves on Rabi-Ribi in multiple ways.

Sail Hatin'

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Leal posted:

Any good Satan games?

pony island

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP4gDWjgM3c

Ragequit posted:

IMO Halls of Torment, Boneraiser Minions, and Holocure are probably the best iterations on the style so far.

For runners up I think 20 Minutes till Dawn, Nordic Ashes, Picayune Dreams, Gunlocked, and Time Wasters are worth looking at, the best of the clones.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Oh poo poo forgot about 20 Minutes till Dawn and Gunlocked! Yeah they're pretty good too - 2MTD has some balance concerns (as in, it eventually becomes VERY easy) and there isn't that much content but I really dig the artstyle and music and the dev recently announced a followup. Gunlocked has one of the worst menus I've seen in a game but the gameplay is very unique - it's a vertically scrolling game where ALL your weapons are weird in terms of aiming. Nothing just shoots straight: you have missiles that fire after a 310 degrees scan lock on, or blasters that are located on either end of the screen and shoot whenever you go past them, or a taser that hits anything a meter in front of your ship at regular intervals, but has a deadzone between you and the ship. It's intensely weird but pretty compelling.

Lastly, my complaint with God of Weapons is that even in a genre full of cheap games, it feels VERY cheap. It's not an EA title, but it certainly feels like one. It also gets some points off for copying Brotato's stat system pretty much wholesale lol I still like it though! I haven't played any of the others mentioned - Time Wasters' art in particular has strong "this was AI generated" vibes.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't know if I'm more excited for the game or the character creator!

Should you go with penis A or penis B, or maybe one of the vulvas after all?

As you are probably aware, we have a super active BG3 thread with a recently updated OP:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4049117

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

fez_machine posted:

Any good satin games?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/562410/Panty_Party/

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

91% review score, can't argue with that

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bounty of One is a VS-like that I played a bunch of over the holidays with my son. I don’t think it would be my choice for solo play, but it was a blast for multiplayer. It’s fast and the combos you can create are a ton of fun. If you’ve got multiple people who want to play this type of game, I’d recommend this one.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hail satan!

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

hail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

hail Santana