Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

CISO and wbfs are smaller than the ISOs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I moved to CHD for everything that supports it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

MagusDraco posted:

Check that half rate shader isn't enabled. That can make text blurry sometimes. It's in the same right side steam deck menu as FSR, setting manual TDP, etc

This is what I meant but didn't have my deck handy to recall the correct name. This got me previously playing cyberpunk I think. Glad it worked.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I keep all my getting c + translations in a separate folder alongside the originals. If people care enough to translate a game it’s usually a hidden gem.

Regarding Wii / PS2 etc, you’re only going to be able to play though 1% of any library so just pick and choose whatever is good or recognizable and ignore the rest. Don’t worry about compete sets because there’s just a lot of shovelware licensed games or yearly sports franchises.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
I just started having an issue with my OLED LE Deck. While playing games, and particularly in certain screens, the touch screen seems to be rapidly registering touch input along the left side of the screen. For some games it doesn't really matter, but it makes others unplayable. Has anyone seen or heard of this issue? It previously worked fine and I discovered the issue just as I started a 12 hour flight...

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Bruxism posted:

I just started having an issue with my OLED LE Deck. While playing games, and particularly in certain screens, the touch screen seems to be rapidly registering touch input along the left side of the screen. For some games it doesn't really matter, but it makes others unplayable. Has anyone seen or heard of this issue? It previously worked fine and I discovered the issue just as I started a 12 hour flight...

I ran in to this with my old LCD deck. I can’t explain why this worked and I make no promises, but I disabled touchscreen in the bios menu for a while assuming I’d just have to live without it or RMA. I then found out you can disable it per game via steam input with an action set > always on > disable touchscreen.

So I turned it back on in the bios only to discover the phantom touches stopped happening after I did and never came back.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
There are BIOS settings? Oh boy more stuff to fiddle with instead of playing games!

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
Yup you can tweak the framebuffer size and a couple other things that mostly just either disable onboard stuff or aren't super relevant for most people. You can turn on IOMMU support, a thing not necessary for anything most people would do with a Deck, but the hardware supports it so it's there.

You can also undervolt the CPU and GPU which I did on mine, it's probably not a ton of benefit but hey -30mV is still slightly less power used.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Chrome stopped working at some point, just tries to load and doesn’t. Common issue?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I dunno but I've been getting like a broken frame or something on the store pages occasionally where it gives me a failed to load thing and a refresh link I have to touchscreen

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Vegastar posted:

I ran in to this with my old LCD deck. I can’t explain why this worked and I make no promises, but I disabled touchscreen in the bios menu for a while assuming I’d just have to live without it or RMA. I then found out you can disable it per game via steam input with an action set > always on > disable touchscreen.

So I turned it back on in the bios only to discover the phantom touches stopped happening after I did and never came back.

Thanks! I'll give that a shot.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Has anyone had an issue where if you try and restart the deck won’t turn back on unless you plug it in? It starts up fine if I unplug right after but it stays on a black screen and the power light will blink if the power button is held down but it won’t fully turn on. Not a huge issue if I have to do that because I don’t restart much but it’s annoying.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What is the best Tetris to play on the Steam Deck, or at least your favorite? Emulation is fine.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

What is the best Tetris to play on the Steam Deck, or at least your favorite? Emulation is fine.

I'm partial to the version on the Game Boy, but Tetris Effect is half off in the current sale and is incredible.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I don't really see the point in playing any other version of Tetris other than Tetris Effect given the choice. It's the definitive version of the game.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

I don't really see the point in playing any other version of Tetris other than Tetris Effect given the choice. It's the definitive version of the game.

Puyo Puyo Tetris (2) :colbert:

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Tetris DS has some pretty good modes, most of which only used one screen so it emulates well.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Got the Tekken 8 demo and I'm happy to see it run at 59-60fps (low settings) right off the bat. 2023 fighting games were good but my fighting game heart lies with the Tekken franchise. Please be good!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tamba posted:

Puyo Puyo Tetris (2) :colbert:

Is there an option to not play puyo and just play Tetris?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Also poo poo now I'm like quadruple dipping on Tetris Effect. Bet this is gonna look good on the OLED.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Is there an option to not play puyo and just play Tetris?

Kinda, one of the modes lets you pick Tetris or PP. But if it's Tetris you want just get Effect; PPT doesn't teach the PP half of the game very well so if you aren't already pretty good at PP the computer starts out easy and abruptly wipes rear end on you with a bunch of combos.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Mr E posted:

Has anyone had an issue where if you try and restart the deck won’t turn back on unless you plug it in? It starts up fine if I unplug right after but it stays on a black screen and the power light will blink if the power button is held down but it won’t fully turn on. Not a huge issue if I have to do that because I don’t restart much but it’s annoying.

Is your device in shipping mode? That prevents the power button from starting it unless it's plugged in too. Try pressing power and volume at the same time when booting to enter the bios and make sure you don't have something flipped there and continue to boot normally after that.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Steam's streaming has always performed horribly for me. I'm talking about the image freezing for a minute or more at a time while audio continues to play, and if I sit at the machine rendering the game I can see that the game is running normally and my inputs are still being received properly.

I have wifi 6 routers giving good coverage to my home, there isn't much network congestion from neighbors, and my non-wireless devices are all connected via CAT6 ethernet.

What can I do to try to diagnose this?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Steam's streaming has always performed horribly for me. I'm talking about the image freezing for a minute or more at a time while audio continues to play, and if I sit at the machine rendering the game I can see that the game is running normally and my inputs are still being received properly.

I have wifi 6 routers giving good coverage to my home, there isn't much network congestion from neighbors, and my non-wireless devices are all connected via CAT6 ethernet.

Is the host PC wired?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is the host PC wired?

Yes, CAT6 all the way to the router.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

SCheeseman posted:

I'm gonna be the weird nerd that prefers the TGM games because I love having sonic drop and guideline tetris games usually don't have it

tetris effect is still good as hell though

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Yes, CAT6 all the way to the router.

Go through the help article because there's some non obvious stuff there.
https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/3E3D-BE6B-787D-A5D2

The overlay will tell you if it's a network problem or issue encoding at the host.

Assuming network problems look at the stuff on the WiFi channel width which if set wrong is like having a 100mb wired connection. Also make sure your wired connection isn't negotiating at 100mb because mine used to because of dodgy cabling.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

If I want to be able to hook my SD up to a TV while also charging, what's my best option? I already have a case with a kickstand so is there a hub I could get that won't introduce a bunch of latency instead of a dock? Or is just going with the official one the best way to go?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Any USB-C hub with PD passthrough will do what you want.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

A Proper Uppercut posted:

If I want to be able to hook my SD up to a TV while also charging, what's my best option? I already have a case with a kickstand so is there a hub I could get that won't introduce a bunch of latency instead of a dock? Or is just going with the official one the best way to go?

I quite like the official dock, but if you have a case with a kickstand I doubt it would fit without removing the case.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

njsykora posted:

Any USB-C hub with PD passthrough will do what you want.

this. you can get one on amazon for liek 15 bux

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The tetris efect is literally the dude behind lumines getting to do a tetris game and its unmatched in terms of synesthesia. Its really loving good in VR, like beam that poo poo into both of my eyeballs directly please.

Its probably not as mechanically competent as something like TGM which is designed for hardcore tetris perverts.

I wouldnt recomend PPT for just tetris its whole thing is mashing up tetris and puyo puyo and honestly it leans on puyo puyo more.

Or just emulate whatever version of tertis you grew up with its not like theres any really bad versions out ther other than maybe that xbox arcade one that had framerate issues somehow

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The only thing about Tetris effect is like 20 bux for Tetris it seems a bit much.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
Anyone got any tips for getting either Serato Dj or Rekordbox running on steam deck? I tried installing them both by running the install programs on compatibility mode within steam then running the installed programs through steam using compatibility too but they never load (they seem to install fine though)

I know it can work as I've seen people doing it but I can't find a guide to follow, any tips/ideas?

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

switch to sunshine

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

My tiny issue with the SD is that I keep trying to check the battery level with the bumpers like on my Switch and nothing happens.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I know there's probably a bunch of variables, but I wish steam games listed estimated battery life when running the game on Steam. Obviously AAA titles you're going to be lucky to get 90 minutes as the fan will be revving like a muscle car the whole time, but quite a few games that don't look terribly demanding haves surprisingly short battery life on the deck. The Last Spell is a final fantasy tactics type pixel game yet it guzzles battery power regardless for example.

Also, while I like the case the deck came in, one thing I wish is they added a hole to run the charging cable through so you could charge it while it's in it's case. Guess it's only a matter of time before I get restless enough to spring for some otterbox type case with built in charging battery and strap for holding my Gamer Nursing Pillow lol.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 30, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Waffle! posted:

My tiny issue with the SD is that I keep trying to check the battery level with the bumpers like on my Switch and nothing happens.

My issue is I still haven't figured out how to have an overlay that shows battery power and the current time. I don't need fps counter or how many watts the GPU is chugging, just have a little potato icon display if something is straining the graphics hardware.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Panfilo posted:

I wish is they added a hole to run the charging cable through so you could charge it while it's in it's case.

buddy are you a moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's also Tetr.io if you want a decent online version with leaderboards and stuff, it also has desktop clients for Windows and Linux so it's pretty easy to add to Deck.