Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Puzzles involving en passant moves tend to give people like me difficulty because it occupies a ‘blind spot’ since it comes up infrequently and is such a different type of move. But because there are so few pieces and moves possible here I considered it right away, but still took a little while to arrive at the solution because somehow my brain kept calculating that the king could escape to g4 if checked by the rook at h4, then I realized I was being dumb and got the solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Spokes posted:

looking at the pawns my initial thought was gotta be a zugzwang and figured it out pretty quick after that but what a cool puzzle!

Well, it still is a zugzwang, just a different type of one than you had considered originally.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
My brain just wants to sack the rook

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I had to sit and think about that one because my baby chess brain would have never at any point gone to en passant.

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Just wondering. Does just going f3 or h3 amount to the same thing where the only legal move is to take? Or does it have to be en passant?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

Just wondering. Does just going f3 or h3 amount to the same thing where the only legal move is to take? Or does it have to be en passant?

f3, h3, and for the record h4 (i got distracted by this one for a bit when i was solving) all leave a legal move for black that doesn't involve taking. there is only one move that force black to take

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

Only 1. f4 works because black can follow up with 1 ... f4 otherwise and then you don't have enough time to mate.

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

f3, h3, and for the record h4 (i got distracted by this one for a bit when i was solving) all leave a legal move for black that doesn't involve taking. there is only one move that force black to take

Arrhythmia posted:

Only 1. f4 works because black can follow up with 1 ... f4 otherwise and then you don't have enough time to mate.

Oh yeeeahh super silly of me to miss that. What a nice puzzle position.

What’s a good uploader/host people use these days for image sharing on SA btw?

L.H.O.O.Q. fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 29, 2023

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

What’s a good uploader/host people use these days for image sharing on SA btw?

imgur

Everyone please enjoy 1 minute of the greatest chess ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVaNGOaWmDo&t=295s

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I read the comments and there are people legit mad at that. There are people that seriously think the berlin draw is great because its a series of top computer moves, while this is a disgrace.

I am glad those people are mad and I hope they stay mad.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Hand Knit is still active on lichess btw, but I feel like he would really appreciate the image of a tournament director holding a piece of paper that says 1.Nf3, Nf6, 2. Nd4, Nd5 and their hand is shaking with rage.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Classic World Championship gaming.

Salt Fish posted:

I read the comments and there are people legit mad at that. There are people that seriously think the berlin draw is great because its a series of top computer moves, while this is a disgrace.

I am glad those people are mad and I hope they stay mad.

This is much funnier and I'm all for it and/or for changing the rules to just allow agreed-draws.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Everyone pees in the pool. To stand on the diving board and pee in the pool, you're gonna get tossed out.

Quick Berlin draws can very easily happen without actually pre-arranging the draw. Trying to go into the line itself is effectively the draw offer.

This is not that. This was very clearly prearranged. 0-0 was a good and correct decision.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I would like it on record that I don't pee in the pool.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Arrhythmia posted:

I would like it on record that I don't pee in the pool.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Fyi, chess.com is holding a big daily tournament that seems fun. Time control is one move a day, no vacations, 12 player sections with 22 simultaneous games, 1 game with each color per opponent. Prizes are for best video analyses, best blog analyses, best game l, and best move

I've never played daily but it seems like a fun low stakes commitment for my chess in 2024

https://www.chess.com/tournament/2024-chess-com-daily-chess-championship

This started with 63352 players, lol. I like joining gigantic tourneys where 90% of the players lose by timeout, dunno why

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Maugrim posted:

This started with 63352 players, lol. I like joining gigantic tourneys where 90% of the players lose by timeout, dunno why

I've actually got moves on the board in most my games so far, which is pretty cool since it just opened for us around noon EST. I wonder if there was any seeding or just random pods. We have a pretty good mix in our 12 with a few 400-600s, a few 1100-1500s and two 2200s.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Maugrim posted:

I signed up, completely forgot about it and then wondered why I have 16 messages on chess.com

I have a 400 elo on chess.com because I only use it to watch games not play myself. lol

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Huxley posted:

I've actually got moves on the board in most my games so far, which is pretty cool since it just opened for us around noon EST. I wonder if there was any seeding or just random pods. We have a pretty good mix in our 12 with a few 400-600s, a few 1100-1500s and two 2200s.

I got lucky then, I'm top rated in my group as a 1500. About half of the group are 400/800/1200 meaning they have never played a daily.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
yeah 7 in my group are 800 or below, 4 of us in the 900-1300 band and then one 1748 who i'm assuming will be sweating it out trying not to lose to any of us idiots who don't know how the knight moves

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Spokes posted:

yeah 7 in my group are 800 or below, 4 of us in the 900-1300 band and then one 1748 who i'm assuming will be sweating it out trying not to lose to any of us idiots who don't know how the knight moves

It moves like an L, OP, hope that hopes.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

CubicalSucrose posted:

Like I've always said: Either the knight moves or your score-sheet, there will always be an L

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

CubicalSucrose posted:

Explain this:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

Explain this:

You should've paid for the whole board.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I’ve been learning Go and something so funny to me is that people play seriously on a little 9x9 board a quarter of normal size. Coming from chess that’s just bizarre to me but clearly the games are different enough that it makes sense

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Spokes posted:

I’ve been learning Go and something so funny to me is that people play seriously on a little 9x9 board a quarter of normal size. Coming from chess that’s just bizarre to me but clearly the games are different enough that it makes sense

It's literally for small children

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

ikanreed posted:

It's literally for small children

It's also good for quick games. 9x9 is still an interesting puzzle, if not as interesting as the full board.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I've already won 4 games on time in this tournament. 3000 chess.com elo here I come.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
also had 4 players in my section drop on move 1 or 2. there's someone rated 2200 daily in my section though, so i'm pretty much writing off those games as lost already

edit: lol, 58% of games are already complete

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 2, 2024

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

also had 4 players in my section drop on move 1 or 2. there's someone rated 2200 daily in my section though, so i'm pretty much writing off those games as lost already

Never say never. I've beaten a FM once and been trounced by 1100s a number of times.

11 games won on time - shoutout to the guy who has been moving in one of his games vs me but let the other lapse. :shrug:

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I forgot to sign up for that, and it's probably ok because apparently 60% of people forgot they signed up for it.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Olothreutes posted:

I forgot to sign up for that, and it's probably ok because apparently 60% of people forgot they signed up for it.

Same. Would have been fun.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I ended up with 18/22 of my games firing, and have quite a few completed games already.

I played a couple of super accurate losses (85% vs 89% in one, 92% vs 97% in the other) against a 2200 Rapid player where I misplayed a defensive move to lose an equal position in one and missed an endgame tactic in the other that would have equalized a –3 position). But I also beat/drew a 1300 Rapid player, which felt nice! Both of these dudes were rated 400 Daily though, so I'm down a huge chunk of Daily Elo haha

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
lol, some poor soul gifted me a 99.3% accuracy game. basically forced me to play the best moves by making them so obvious

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

lol, some poor soul gifted me a 99.3% accuracy game. basically forced me to play the best moves by making them so obvious

It's always funny getting these. You feel so smart looking at the game review and then you actually go through and look at each move and are just like "oh yeah I guess taking all these free pieces was probably easy to find"

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

My objective is to play as slowly as possible and hope my opponents end up skipping a day. If I wanted to play strategy I'd play another rapid or classical game on lichess.

Bruce Hussein Daddy fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 3, 2024

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Chess is a battle of attrition

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I had games against a guy today, we traded moves back and forth all morning and ended up with two equal games just after lunchtime. He disappears all afternoon then pops up right at 5 pm and proceeds to hang an exchange in both games, make one more move, then disappear again.

Flair says Kenya. Local time in Kenya: 1 am.

I feel like that really told a story about his day.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

https://www.chess.com/game/daily/602997971

possibly my best game ever, thanks chess dot com for making this guy 800 points higher play me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I watch GM Daniel Naroditsky explain chess concepts in simple and logical ways and think wow, I can be good at chess too.

Then I watch IM Eric Rosen set up a castle mate with circles for pieces and realize, no, chess masters were given different brains than normal people, it's not possible.