Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

malnourish posted:

I... had never known that. Cool, I'll try it

I only stumbled upon it thinking it was a catalog of my failed and successful runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

This thing kept exploding all the time, spawning minions which exploded and generating crits which gave me shields constantly. In a game with absurd runs this was the best so far

Can you share saved memories?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

path of dust is ultra-hard because it still spawns Pretas, the insane randomly generated enemies that got removed from the main game for instagibbing players constantly

they're like the equivalent of TOME's rare enemies in that they look pretty similar to normal enemies but have like, 10,000 ranks in random skills and obliterate players on contact

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Almost been a full year since the Lost Lands beta was "coming soon" I'm dying.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Duke Nukem Forever

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Only a few cycles later, Path of Achra went from an absolute breeze to holy poo poo I get wrecked in the middle of the run every time.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
The new Nuclear Throne Ultra update is out!

I think my finger/wrist is really going to like the change making every weapon automatic at a slightly lower ROF. Also this brings 60fps, widescreen and a bunch of other things together. It's glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehChbw2ogGE

Pararoid fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 29, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Whoa I was just thinking about playing Nuclear Throne again today but decided against it because I remembered that it's not 60fps so it hurts my eyes

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Almost been a full year since the Lost Lands beta was "coming soon" I'm dying.

last news thing i saw was him on reddit 2 months ago saying that progress was not going well. so yeah LL is never coming out. also it's been more than a year i think, cuz checking The Archives my friends and i were preparing for Potential Release back in Oct 2021. augh!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Whoa I was just thinking about playing Nuclear Throne again today but decided against it because I remembered that it's not 60fps so it hurts my eyes

They launched a beta for the regular game not that long ago that bumps it up to 60.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

last news thing i saw was him on reddit 2 months ago saying that progress was not going well. so yeah LL is never coming out. also it's been more than a year i think, cuz checking The Archives my friends and i were preparing for Potential Release back in Oct 2021. augh!

drat. Well at least he's around. Shame to hear his depression has stymied his progress though.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Pararoid posted:

I think my finger/wrist is really going to like the change making every weapon automatic at a slightly lower ROF. Also this brings 60fps, widescreen and a bunch of other things together. It's glorious.

Dang, how'd I miss this? NT rules, gotta check this out

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It was already possible to get 60fps or more in Nuclear Throne since 2019 via NTT.
Cool to see modding continue of course, but I'm too pedantic to not mention that.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Soul Scarf is very good

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Azran posted:

Soul Scarf is very good

Yep, it has to be nerfed. It is VERY good:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=4050084&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post536795133

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I got around to playing Balatro and holy gently caress is it exactly my kind of jam, it's so loving good.

When will this game release so I can throw money at the developers? :shepspends:

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I got around to playing Balatro and holy gently caress is it exactly my kind of jam, it's so loving good.

When will this game release so I can throw money at the developers? :shepspends:

I am right loving there with you. I am on my knees begging that whatever they are announcing in January is a full or early release.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I want to play it badly, too. I have to know what other weird hands exist, such as the Flush House.

Also, give me a planet that lets me buff my flush houses, Coward.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Looking through the PS+ catalogue on my PS5, I noticed Rogue Legacy 2 was on there. I played the first and had a good time, so why not?

160 hours. 160 goddamn hours playing RL2 since downloading it like in October. Holy poo poo this was leaps and bounds a major improvement to the first. I just got the good ending and I am not even done with the platinum trophy. There's still so much to do.

A shame the game is finished and no plans for DLC. This game has a good shelf life like Dead Cells if they could add extra zones/enemies/relics/classes. Hopefully they plan to do RL3 sooner than the gap between 1 and 2.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

LazyMaybe posted:

It was already possible to get 60fps or more in Nuclear Throne since 2019 via NTT.
Cool to see modding continue of course, but I'm too pedantic to not mention that.

Yep, but no wide-screen at the same time, as far as I know.

The new map when you die is so cool!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Same! It's also the perfect SteamDeck game, and could be easily ported to other mobile devices. I think this dev has a money maker on their hands.

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord

Canuckistan posted:

Same! It's also the perfect SteamDeck game, and could be easily ported to other mobile devices. I think this dev has a money maker on their hands.

I’m guessing they know it too.

I would pay/play a whole lot if they managed to whip together an iOS version with a portrait mode.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

for all the speedrun enthusiasts in the thread, a charity marathon called RTA In Japan is doing an N64 Shiren race right fuckin now: https://www.twitch.tv/rtainjapan

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
shiren fans will see this and just think 'hell yeah'

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

i bet you anything i got my bacon saved by at least one of the people in this room when i played through tower of fortune last year

Orv
May 4, 2011
Path of Achra seems like it's a very silly game but I'm way into the theory crafting it has going on. This seems like a bad number of runs for a first win but I can only blame myself for doing deeply stupid builds.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I got PoA and it's overwhelming. Need to read the skill descriptions carefully because I made a blood goblin who just slashed himself apart on every attack and died.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pararoid posted:

Well, I installed this and it's hell of nuts. 16:9 and 60 FPS Nuclear Throne alone is great, but it seems they've added an incredible amount of new content to the game as well.

Chas McGill posted:

I got PoA and it's overwhelming. Need to read the skill descriptions carefully because I made a blood goblin who just slashed himself apart on every attack and died.

Yeah it's completely baffling. There's just so many loving stats and skills and variables and as far as I can tell, nothing resembling a tutorial.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Achra has a lot of skills but only a handful of different actions

step
Pray
(initial/extra) attack
hit
Deal damage
Stand still

Dodge
Block
Shrug off

Orv
May 4, 2011

Chas McGill posted:

There's an honestly very funny amount of self ownage available in the skills and I'm not sure why you'd ever use some of them but I'm probably just missing some hot trick

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
ToME LL stuff is kinda depressing as I remember crunching to get Dust Mage and Gravelord in for the beta. Probably could have delayed it slightly!

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

Veryslightlymad posted:

I want to play it badly, too. I have to know what other weird hands exist, such as the Flush House.

Also, give me a planet that lets me buff my flush houses, Coward.

I'm pretty sure that exists and that I've taken it, you just need to play a flush house before it shows up.

I hope they rectify the missing "flush of a kind" hands, i.e., acknowledge 2-5 cards of the same rank and suit.

Love the demo; it's hypnotic.

Unrelated, but I just picked up Shogun Showdown and that game fuckin slaps. Killer soundtrack and Into the Breach adjacent gameplay that doesn't feel so exhausting. Would recommend.

malnourish fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 30, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Had a really good PoA run that got wrecked by going into I think "a forbidden gate" and having three Kolecs firing crystals at me with no cover within like 5 tiles. This was prior to the violet tower (the 2nd tower of a run) so still somewhat early in a run. Kolecs are, according to the Nemesis, enemies that are normally found in the Void.

I assume this is Achra's equivalent of DCSS's out-of-depth monster?

Also yes I know I deserved that splat for going into someplace literally called "forbidden".

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Speaking of Rogue Legacy 2, to what degree does the meta progression and build making trivialize the game? I love it, and it controls really well, but I'm also so completely rear end at it and I've been into fighting games mostly lately so I dunno if I should give it a pass until I have time to get good at it or if I can bulldozer it with numbers.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

unattended spaghetti posted:

Speaking of Rogue Legacy 2, to what degree does the meta progression and build making trivialize the game? I love it, and it controls really well, but I'm also so completely rear end at it and I've been into fighting games mostly lately so I dunno if I should give it a pass until I have time to get good at it or if I can bulldozer it with numbers.

It doesn't trivialize it imo, as it's a game more on the hard side. That's not even taking in account the ng+ stuff with harder difficulties.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

I'd say that it feels less steamroll-over-time than 1 does, but still provides a significant base boost, but it also felt like I leveled base stats less frequently because of all the other goldsinks. IMO if youre prepared for the long haul you'll definitely get through it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

You theoretically can bulldozer it with numbers because the towers are big enough to support going to like NG+100, but grinding the points to do so would take a long time. That said the game is really fun.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Holy hell Spelldisk is amazing. Picked it up earlier today and I already beat the Architect by the skin of my teeth, feels soooo goood seeing a build come together

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Had a really good PoA run that got wrecked by going into I think "a forbidden gate" and having three Kolecs firing crystals at me with no cover within like 5 tiles. This was prior to the violet tower (the 2nd tower of a run) so still somewhat early in a run. Kolecs are, according to the Nemesis, enemies that are normally found in the Void.

I assume this is Achra's equivalent of DCSS's out-of-depth monster?

Also yes I know I deserved that splat for going into someplace literally called "forbidden".

achra sometimes spawns locations which are called like crypts or gates or temples or something along those lines. basically any location that's a building but not a tower. they're always one floor, have a lot of items, and spawn void enemies instead of regular enemies. Sometimes those void enemies are the ones that have a machinegun as their attack and you spawn in an open area between twelve of them and get sunny corleoned immediately, which is why you should never go to one of those locations unless it has an item you're willing to risk the run for, or the enemy is like green demons or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Razakai posted:

ToME LL stuff is kinda depressing as I remember crunching to get Dust Mage and Gravelord in for the beta. Probably could have delayed it slightly!

I have no idea what's even going on, I remember being stoked for the next dlc and then just .... Nothing?