Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

RevolverDivider posted:

and was out of gold

How do you even let that happen are you buying every green piece of trash gear off every vendor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
So I started doing the whole "hireling at camp" who casts warding on my adventuring party, and I just came back from a successful mission, and she is dying and surrounded by sooo much blood. She is right next to Withers too, and he doesn't even care.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

143 hours in and I only just started on Act 3.

Is there a master list anywhere with all the unmarked items that aren't simply vendor trash?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Morrow posted:

Lae'zel shtick can be annoying but straight battle master fighter is very powerful. She can just decide an enemy shouldn't exist and it won't after her turn. As part of her romance, you duel her, and the one time I tried it she won initiative and melted my Durge paladin on her first turn.

Thundarr posted:

Honestly my favorite round of combat so far in this game was Lae'zel single-handedly deleting the entire thief's guild, after going dead last in initiative. Like she was just waiting for everybody to show their moves, rolled her eyes, and said "no, THIS is what fighting looks like."

Single classed battlemaster fighters are fuckin' scary and she called dibs at character creation.

Most of my party compositions end up just being some kind of spellcaster for crowd control, buffs, and general utility; whatever bullshit i'm trying with my main PC, and feeding enemies into the dual-blade meat grinder that is Battlemaster Great Weapon Master Lae'zel + Berserker Karlach.

AgentHaiTo posted:

So I started doing the whole "hireling at camp" who casts warding on my adventuring party, and I just came back from a successful mission, and she is dying and surrounded by sooo much blood. She is right next to Withers too, and he doesn't even care.

Congratulations on turning yourself into Ketheric Thorm.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

bird with big dick posted:

How do you even let that happen are you buying every green piece of trash gear off every vendor

If you’re not pickpocketing merchants it can be pretty easy to burn through your money, especially on honor mode where a lot of the best items have boosted prices.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Entropic posted:

Congratulations on turning yourself into Ketheric Thorm.

Oh wow, never thought of it like that lol.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

AgentHaiTo posted:

I had no idea that worked. I had checked to see if other cheese might work (like having a camp character use Magic Weapon on an active party member) but concentration spells just end as soon as the person who cast it leaves the party. I guess I never tried Warding Bond!

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Thundarr posted:

I had no idea that worked. I had checked to see if other cheese might work (like having a camp character use Magic Weapon on an active party member) but concentration spells just end as soon as the person who cast it leaves the party. I guess I never tried Warding Bond!

There's a thread somewhere on Reddit about all the things you do with hirelings. My hireling is is a cleric of life and transmuter wizard. She can do Ward, Aid (upcasted at highest level), Long Sprint, Darkvision (since those require no concentrations) AND she can do potions with a chance to get doubles, and do a transmute stone for concentration advantage. This is the first time I've seen her dead though, which made me kind of sad.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I do love the item descriptions in this game. Always read the item descriptions, even for mundane items.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

AgentHaiTo posted:

This is true, I have Laezel as her straight up battlemaster single class, and she always pulls the team thru the tough times. I think it's a combination of mobility (cause she can get anywhere she wants with all her gith powers) and so many powerful attacks. Right now she has GWM and Risky Ring and with the Maneuver gloves (that give disadvantage to enemies trying to save from her maneuver affects), so if she starts off with the frighten or the prone, that enemy is pretty much done for, and she enough attacks to just keep going. In one fight, she just took out 3 enemies in one round, she's a better bhaalspawn than my fancy bard-paladin.

EDIT: Also, get that Voss silver sword for Laezel, it's great.

Karlach really comes alive as throwbarian and the extra bonus move from 3 levels of thief. The bonus helps her position in case she needs to and if not, 4 attacks every round. Previous play throughs I just had her as straight barbarian using mostly melee and she was always clearly second rate DPS but now she is extremely clutch and the three levels of thief are enough for most needs so you don’t need a dedicated Astarion or anything.

Just got to act 3 and can’t wait to see what she does with a weapon upgrade.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Entropic posted:

I do love the item descriptions in this game. Always read the item descriptions, even for mundane items.

Has this been posted in the GBS egg thread for egg related topics about eggs?

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

bird with big dick posted:

Karlach really comes alive as throwbarian and the extra bonus move from 3 levels of thief. The bonus helps her position in case she needs to and if not, 4 attacks every round. Previous play throughs I just had her as straight barbarian using mostly melee and she was always clearly second rate DPS but now she is extremely clutch and the three levels of thief are enough for most needs so you don’t need a dedicated Astarion or anything.

Just got to act 3 and can’t wait to see what she does with a weapon upgrade.

She is a straight throw barbarian now, but maybe I'll respec her with 3 thief to try it out. Her and Laezel are my go to team when I want a mission dead for sure, but I'm trying to do story arcs for everyone so I have to sub in someone, and Shart is always in.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

SplitSoul posted:

143 hours in and I only just started on Act 3.

Is there a master list anywhere with all the unmarked items that aren't simply vendor trash?

I've been using this one off Steam. It seems pretty reliable but no idea if it's got capital-e Everything. But it definitely has Most Magic Items worth considering. Note that some of those vendors can be tricky - for example (minor Act 3 spoilers): Ferg Drogher will vanish permanently if you speak to him with Shadowheart in the party as he's a Sharrite in disguise waiting to leave Shadowheart a message, so buy/loot everything off him before you bring Shadowheart to talk to him, and you have to become an agent of Bhaal by completing the Impress The Murder Tribunal quest to access Echo of Abazigal at all.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 30, 2023

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Fuzz posted:

So I'm still in Act 1 and only just hit level 5, but I've managed to break the combat over my knee by multiclassing Astarion into a Thief/Monk because ahahaha I was curious if the extra bonus action can be used for Flurry and oh my it can, and if you're positioned with advantage every hit is a sneak attack.

Karlach is already rocking face with straight Berserker, Wyll just got an extra attack with his pact weapon and is solid. My Sword Bard sucks but next level he'll finally get another attack. Gale is melting poo poo with lightning gear.

What are the good builds for Shadowheart? She's kinda extremely underwhelming as is, was thinking of converting her into a paladin or maybe mixing her with Ranger. gently caress the Gith chick, that whole race is trash and it's annoying the game features them so heavily in the story.

Cleric subclass guide:

Tempest: If you enjoy using Gale for electrocuting stuff Tempest Clerics also specialize in thunder & lightning while retaining all of the generic holy stuff that makes a cleric a cleric. They can even use their channel divinity to make a spell inflict its maximum possible damage. They also gain access to heavy armor and actually make decent frontline attackers, though Clerics don't get an extra attack at lvl 5.

Light: All about Fire & Radiant damage. This subclass is the bane of all things undead and flammable. Can use warding flare as a reaction to impose disadvantage on anything attacking you or an ally (unless it's already blind).

Life: Heals, heals, and more heals. Life Cleric's #1 goal is to keep poo poo from dying. Gains access to heavy armor for self-preservation.

Trickery: Dogshit. Next.

Knowledge: Piles on tons of proficiency bonuses in case you hate the idea of your rolls backfiring. This subclass is more focused on crowd control with spells like Command, Hold Person, etc.

Nature: Basically a druid without the shapeshifting. Just play a druid unless you *really* want to cast spirit guardians and wear heavy armor.

War: A shittier paladin.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Morrow posted:

The best cleric domains are Tempest, Light, and Life. Light is a blaster with some great fire spells and a clutch reaction to defend party members. Life gets heavy armor and is better at healing. Tempest is both a blaster and heavy armor. None of these are necessary because fundamentally you're getting your money out of a cleric if they just cast bless on the other party members.

Light sounds great, but she's a Cleric of Shar, so that's sorta the opposite of what she'd go for. Maybe Tempest would work though.

I'm kinda vibing on the idea of her going Gloom Stalker to misty step around and necro touch people out of nowhere, but the paladin idea seems cool, just none of the Oaths in game seem like they'd make sense for her, and having her be an Oathbteaker also seems extremely out of character. I guess maybe Vengeance would work.

exquisite tea posted:

There's an often overlooked bow sold by Dammon in the Emerald Grove that gives the wielder advantage against all monstrosity-type enemies, which comprise the majority of encounters you will face in Act 1. What they don't tell you is that it works on ALL attacks, not just ranged. Put that on Lae'zel and she will carry your istik nerds all the way to Last Light.

I have this on Asterion and have him using that first blood short sword and yeah, he is just broken as gently caress with it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Lae'zel rocks. I can see why she'd annoy you in the early game but if you're patient with her she has one of the best arcs of any character in the game. She becomes a lot less aggressive/standoffish to you after Act 1. She's the classic tough woman with a heart of gold like Bastila, Morrigan, or whatever 80 Bioware npcs that had similar arcs.

I never do Shadowheart as a light Cleric either because it feels like too big a stretch for me. I usually go Tempest, War, or Life with her. Life also seems like a stretch for a Sharran however there's a document later in the game talking about how Shadowheart was the healer for her group so it still kinda fits. I feel like making Shadowheart a light cleric is like making Gale a fighter or something. It's funny but it breaks my immersion too much.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Oh man, I should make gale a barbarian next time I play

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Oh man, I should make gale a barbarian next time I play

Great weapon master Half-Orc Barb is on my list of ideas to try at some point. Doing that and using the modal to smash enemies that have been held is hilarious even with someone who doesn't have the Half-Orc racial abilities. A Half-Orc smashing held targets would completely mulch them.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Gale as a wild magic barbarian would be funny. Fundamentally there's very little keeping companions in their classes.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Monathin posted:

I've been using this one off Steam. It seems pretty reliable but no idea if it's got capital-e Everything. But it definitely has Most Magic Items worth considering. Note that some of those vendors can be tricky - for example (minor Act 3 spoilers): Ferg Drogher will vanish permanently if you speak to him with Shadowheart in the party as he's a Sharrite in disguise waiting to leave Shadowheart a message, so buy/loot everything off him before you bring Shadowheart to talk to him, and you have to become an agent of Bhaal by completing the Impress The Murder Tribunal quest to access Echo of Abazigal at all.

Thanks, that'll be useful, but it seems like it's mostly unique rares and such, I was thinking of stuff like the Harper's Pin that appear like trash items yet aren't.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

Lae'zel rocks. I can see why she'd annoy you in the early game but if you're patient with her she has one of the best arcs of any character in the game. She becomes a lot less aggressive/standoffish to you after Act 1. She's the classic tough woman with a heart of gold like Bastila, Morrigan, or whatever 80 Bioware npcs that had similar arcs.

Oh it has nothing to do with her personality and everything to do with the fact that Githyanki, just like Githzerai and Aasimar, are crap that should have just stayed deep in Sigil and not become regular stuff, in my opinion. Tieflings are basically in the same camp, too. All the poo poo that was so broken they needed to invent ECL to balance it out was crap. Yes that includes the Underdark races.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
the githyanki as a race/culture get some pretty decent characterization in BG3, in particular when you visit the creche. They very much take "arrogant, ruthless warrior race" to its logical extent. fantasy Klingons

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

the githyanki as a race/culture get some pretty decent characterization in BG3, in particular when you visit the creche. They very much take "arrogant, ruthless warrior race" to its logical extent. fantasy Klingons

But they straight ape a lot similar terminology from Klingon, which is why they suck extra hard. Like go for it with some crazy honor bound warrior race with a caste system and dueling and poo poo, that's fine. But make them at least not have weird foreheads and use them same guttural terms like ghaak/ghaik and whatnot, it's just lazy. They could have just as easily been giant eagle people who claw each others' beaks off or something. How about giant bug people? Maybe they're sleek and streamlined with funky angular armor or something.

Nope, big foreheads with spikey armor and guttural noises, and hey if you play a human you can use a shield and get an extra skill proficiency, but if you play these captain bullshit bad facelift Klingons you get a literal teleport, along with armor proficiency! Makes complete sense. :downs:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I made a Githyanki monk specifically so me and Lae'zel could be Vlaakith simps together, having an awesome time so far. Githyanki haters get out.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Someone mentioned a barbarian/wizard multiclass earlier and now I can't stop thinking about it

How would this work? Somebody make this work, please. It needs to work, it would be awesome

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Reduce the effort you're putting into Shadowheart class selection by letting Laezel (absolutely justifiably) kill her.

E: Laezel has a perfectly normal forehead what's this star trek rant about? Imagine having seen star trek lmao.

JBP fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 30, 2023

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

jaete posted:

Someone mentioned a barbarian/wizard multiclass earlier and now I can't stop thinking about it

How would this work? Somebody make this work, please. It needs to work, it would be awesome

Probably in part by investing in self-buffs like false life and blur, and cast these on yourself before initiating battle. It would be a less optimal version of other fighter mage varieties but might not completely suck

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Barbarian/Wizard is gonna be a hard sell because Rage locks you out of literally all spellcasting and doesn't let you maintain concentration. It can work but yeah you're just a shittier Eldritch Knight at that point.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Why is there a nipple in my armpit? Is this a half-orc thing?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Fuzz posted:

But they straight ape a lot similar terminology from Klingon, which is why they suck extra hard. Like go for it with some crazy honor bound warrior race with a caste system and dueling and poo poo, that's fine. But make them at least not have weird foreheads and use them same guttural terms like ghaak/ghaik and whatnot, it's just lazy. They could have just as easily been giant eagle people who claw each others' beaks off or something. How about giant bug people? Maybe they're sleek and streamlined with funky angular armor or something.

Nope, big foreheads with spikey armor and guttural noises, and hey if you play a human you can use a shield and get an extra skill proficiency, but if you play these captain bullshit bad facelift Klingons you get a literal teleport, along with armor proficiency! Makes complete sense. :downs:

Most of early D&D and especially Forgotten Realms just straight lifts from Tolkein lol. There's not much new under the sun. Also it's not like the klingon have a monopoly on guttural fantasy conlang.

Also the Githyanki in BG3 actually do an examination on how hosed up the Fantasy Klingon Culture is given everything around Vlaakith.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Daylight should have some kind of popup. THIS IS PERMANANT. you cannot overwrite it, move it, cancel it, or do anything to make it stop. This WILL break the cazador fight. Do not ever use it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

A Moose posted:

Daylight should have some kind of popup. THIS IS PERMANANT. you cannot overwrite it, move it, cancel it, or do anything to make it stop. This WILL break the cazador fight. Do not ever use it.

It's smart to use it there tho. Also maybe a spoiler idk.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I think a Barb/Wizard would have to be a character who does stuff in phases. Basically, a caster phase and then a melee phase. Prebuff with false life and mirror image (which don't require concentration), then start a battle. Cast a powerful non conc spell like fireball or cone of cold or something like that. Then rage--->beat poo poo up.

You could also do stuff like cast Fire Shield on yourself---> bear rage (to be resistant to damage)---> wade into melee and laugh as enemies take tons of damage hitting you and you can take it because you've got bear rage up. Bonus points if you're also an abjuration wizard and thus have arcane ward up too.

Or make an eagle heart Barbarian/Wizard and cast fly on yourself--->fly up to high ground--->rage--->use the special eagle drop attack to knock some hapless caster prone.

You could also conjure an elemental to tank on the front lines with you as those require no concentration. I could see a glass cannon berserker who uses a 2hander and smashes enemies for damage and then casts blink to potentially safely phase out of combat at the end of each turn for 10 turns. No conc required on that, though I have no idea if rage breaks the effect.

I guess one would need to do some experimentation to see what works and what doesn't.

The problem with all of this is a Fighter/Mage could do similar stuff and also use concentration spells as well. But if you wanted to make Barb/Wizard work you probably could with some effort.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 30, 2023

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Disliking Laezel is a skill issue.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is there reason to think they'll improve act 3 with updates over time? Heard mixed things about it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

1) Larian will probably release a Definitive Edition in a year that revamps some things on a system-based level, and 2) Act 3 already rules.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
act 3 is in good shape. it was buggier at release but they've fixed a lot of things.

If you only have time for one big serious playthrough there's no harm in waiting for the Definitive Edition or w/e. They'll release another couple patches I'm sure. But they've added a ton of QoL and bugfixes already

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Can someone drop a link to their bug report? Found a reproducible one on Xbox

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

PirateBob posted:

Is there reason to think they'll improve act 3 with updates over time? Heard mixed things about it.

Larian has a long history of improving their games after release. Baldurs Gate 3 has been a phenomenal success for them and there's no reason to think they'll stop. Act 3 is only mixed compared to the fun open sandbox of Act 1, which had years of polish through early access, and the banger of Act 2. Those are tough follow ups and they've already added content to improve the epilogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

There's also the fact that Larian did not expect BG3 to absolutely blow past all their expectations so they're working on extending the support of it for as long as it's financially feasible to do so, which given how well BG3's sold might uh. Be a while.