Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Snake Maze posted:

But then how does - you know what, never mind

How do you think their breath weapons work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Snake Maze posted:

What do you think the contents of the breath attack are?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Snake Maze posted:

I assume it's just a dragonborn taking advantage of their relatively alien nature to tell a lie

Either way you're full of poo poo

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Snake Maze posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Valtonen posted:

As a new player combat interface is super obtuse, and especially on coop it’s super hard to even try translating when is anyone’s turn. Also is there a reason most hit percentages on enemies at low levels are between 60 and 55? Bc that poo poo just kills enjoyment.

So 5e is balanced around a 65% hit rate or so at level appropriate encounters. As the game goes on, though, you start collecting magic items that push you ahead of the curve (5e is also balanced around not having magic items) and do other things to be more optimal. It's why there are mods that like boost you past the early levels, it's not so fun to play.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I’d argue that the early levels are a different kind of fun because each encounter is challenging and impactful and you’re forced to find creative solutions.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Those early encounters where your dudes suck can be the most fun because you have to use your wits and observations in order to survive. Almost everything in the environment can be manipulated, ignited, electrocuted etc. and reaching into your bag to pull out a helpful scroll or weapon oil can turn the tide of a fight. If you’re struggling with the system-level knowledge of 5E then instead find resolve in the unshakable video game tenets of “push dudes off cliff” and “explode barrel.”

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Valtonen posted:

Also is there a reason most hit percentages on enemies at low levels are between 60 and 55? Bc that poo poo just kills enjoyment.

Some classes don't do that well in combat, and low-level D&D has always been about the tension of rolling a die to see if you hit. That means there's a chance you won't hit and that chance tends to be higher when you first start out.

This is a feature, not a bug.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Dumb question: do the companions have class specializations (or whatever it is called that you select at level 3) that are meant as defaults? At the time I went with what was preselected at the moment for the most part so I did not have to deal with indecision paralysis but now I at least want to take another look.

I am still trying to work up the nerve to resume and still early enough in the game (act 1) though that I could restart or at least go back and rechoose (I do have the respec ghoul in my camp too).

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

That was the most jank rear end bullshit I just pulled in Honor Mode. Tried to use bombs to alpha strike an enemy in the creche, hosed up and blew my entire party to hell except Astarion. He survived with two HP and managed to flee the creche while using my last invisibility potion, but the enemies wouldn't finish off my party who all stabilized so I was trapped. I had killed the merchant earlier in the mountains after trying to pickpocket her and was out of gold, so I had to scavenge the entire map for 200 gold so I could respec Astarion into a cleric, steal back the money, warp back into the Creche, kill my entire party with a grenade, cast Sanctuary and run out of the creche again so I could revive everyone and then smash through the whole creche with no issues.

GOTY

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
So basically each random enemy pre like lvl4 should be treated not as “just a encounter/goblin/snail/chihuahua” but “preposition, set chesspieces, unload all spell slots you need; long rests are a plenty?”

Bc while the plot and drama is 100% fun I find the time crunch combined with the slog of the battle frustrating.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

bird with big dick posted:

My wife is 5 months pregnant and I’m pushing for a BG3 related name so far got it narrowed down to:

Karlach
Brinna
Necromite

Necroticus
THAARG!
Bear fucker jr.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Valtonen posted:

So basically each random enemy pre like lvl4 should be treated not as “just a encounter/goblin/snail/chihuahua” but “preposition, set chesspieces, unload all spell slots you need; long rests are a plenty?”

Bc while the plot and drama is 100% fun I find the time crunch combined with the slog of the battle frustrating.

Kinda, you get a ton of tools you are expected to use them. There aren't many like filler battles compared to other RPGs. Also time crunch?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
So is the Duergar corpse on the lake shore the same one that I shoved off the boat. Hoping so, as not to miss out on drops. No such luck on the lackey of the drow in the goblin camp, who I also pushed into a hole, except bottomless apparently. Gosh, it's so satisfying.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Valtonen posted:

If you don't find that poo poo fun I dunno what to tell you. The story and characters are great but the chunky combat keeps me coming back to the game, I love buffing and prepping and seeing how much I can steamroll encounters with whatever tools I have available, and that's definitely interesting in early levels before everyone hits 4-5 and now has a "thing" they just do.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

RevolverDivider posted:

That was the most jank rear end bullshit I just pulled in Honor Mode. Tried to use bombs to alpha strike an enemy in the creche, hosed up and blew my entire party to hell except Astarion. He survived with two HP and managed to flee the creche while using my last invisibility potion, but the enemies wouldn't finish off my party who all stabilized so I was trapped. I had killed the merchant earlier in the mountains after trying to pickpocket her and was out of gold, so I had to scavenge the entire map for 200 gold so I could respec Astarion into a cleric, steal back the money, warp back into the Creche, kill my entire party with a grenade, cast Sanctuary and run out of the creche again so I could revive everyone and then smash through the whole creche with no issues.

GOTY

mood

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Valtonen posted:

No you don’t have to do that if you lower the difficulty to Explorer or play on Balanced and use a couple build guides. Game is fun and story is fun so just roll through encounters and hit dudes. Dont worry about it.

If you’re on Tactician (or higher) or are using whatever RP build you want “Karlach shall learn to play the flute, and Shadowheart deserves one level of monk as a treat” then yes combat will be tricky and you gotta plan for it.

Unlucky7 posted:

Dumb question: do the companions have class specializations (or whatever it is called that you select at level 3) that are meant as defaults? At the time I went with what was preselected at the moment for the most part so I did not have to deal with indecision paralysis but now I at least want to take another look.

I am still trying to work up the nerve to resume and still early enough in the game (act 1) though that I could restart or at least go back and rechoose (I do have the respec ghoul in my camp too).

They do have default specializations and stat distributions. Nearly all of them (with I think the exception of Gael and Laezel?) are non-optimal. Shadowheart is the worst offender so if you think she’s bad and want to fix her then she deserves a respec.

I wouldn’t bother restarting, respeccing is 100g which is absolute chump change. Other people even steal it back from the respec ghoul (he doesn’t give a poo poo) but personally in my roleplay canon he spends it on drugs, sex, and rock and roll so I would never steal from him.

space uncle fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 30, 2023

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Professor Beetus posted:

If you don't find that poo poo fun I dunno what to tell you. The story and characters are great but the chunky combat keeps me coming back to the game, I love buffing and prepping and seeing how much I can steamroll encounters with whatever tools I have available, and that's definitely interesting in early levels before everyone hits 4-5 and now has a "thing" they just do.

Agreed. The game has pushed me into using consumables in a way very few games have been able.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

space uncle posted:

No you don’t have to do that if you lower the difficulty to Explorer or play on Balanced and use a couple build guides. Game is fun and story is fun so just roll through encounters and hit dudes. Dont worry about it.

If you’re on Tactician (or higher) or are using whatever RP build you want “Karlach shall learn to play the flute, and Shadowheart deserves one level of monk as a treat” then yes combat will be tricky and you gotta plan for it.

They do have default specializations and stat distributions. Nearly all of them (with I think the exception of Gael and Laezel?) are non-optimal. Shadowheart is the worst offender so if you think she’s bad and want to fix her then she deserves a respec.

I wouldn’t bother restarting, respeccing is 100g which is absolute chump change. Other people even steal it back from the respec ghoul (he doesn’t give a poo poo) but personally in my roleplay canon he spends it on drugs, sex, and rock and roll so I would never steal from him.

Eh, depends on what you mean by optimal. Worst offenders are definitely Shadowheart (Trickery Domain) and Astarion (Arcane Trickster), but everyone else can make theirs work. Karlach's is Wildheart, isn't it? That's pretty optimal if you're not doing Throwbarian and just need her to tank. Evocation and Battle Master are, as you stated, fine. I can't remember if Wyll can respec out of Fiend Patron but Warlocks are so modular it doesn't really matter that much.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't think Trickster is that bad but it's definitely not the powergamer option. It's quite playable though. Being able to use Shield as a reaction is actually quite nice if you want Astarion as a melee sneak attacker

Trickery is pretty bad however even that still gets Spirit Guardians and Bless which is what you end up casting 99% of the time on the Cleric anyways.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 30, 2023

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Yeah I'm not sure I get what you're saying? Like, subclasses are selected at level 3 so I just chose Thief for Astarion and Wild Rage for Karlach... still, Astarion has fire bolt and he has since I recruited him, so I'm not really sure what all is going on

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Yeah I'm not sure I get what you're saying? Like, subclasses are selected at level 3 so I just chose Thief for Astarion and Wild Rage for Karlach... still, Astarion has fire bolt and he has since I recruited him, so I'm not really sure what all is going on

He’s a high elf, they get fire bolt as a racial spell

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

They get a wizard cantrip as a racial thing, technically. It just so happens that all the high elf companions pick fire bolt as theirs and it’s a choice you can’t respec for them.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

When the Origin characters hit level 3, they have autoselected subclasses that aren't necessarily the left-most that would normally be selected. You can just change it, but a lot of people don't even notice the subclass screen because the autoselection means its not red (for action required) in the level up screen.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't kill them in camp no matter what? The only way you can actually kill them is in Act 2 if you use the mind flayer pod to annihilate her. This is a bad idea because A. it sends Wyll to hell and B. doesn't even actually kill her, it just temporarily banishes her back to Avernus

OK let me explain what actually happened. I'm currently in Act 1. I had Wyll lying dead in my camp cos I technically sided with the goblins and he can't leave if he's dead. I went to the Mountain Pass where Mizora's cutscene usually plays (I'm just gonna keep spoilers on from now on). She did actually turn up but as an NPC with no dialogue. Hitting her would cause her to heal up as NPCs tend to do as a failsafe, unless Scratch and/or the owlbear cub were watching (afaict), in which case all three of them would aggro. This actually let me kill Mizora, but I was also forced to knock out my pets. When I tried it last night the owlbear cub left the following morning, but when I tried it again today he didn't. I don't really know why. I did use Animal Friendship on him but that didn't stop him aggroing. I also used a Potion of Healing on him while he was knocked out.

I would have preferred to try this on a run where I sided with the grove so I could see if Wyll's quest broke later on, but I would be surprised if it made a difference. the game surely doesn't log Mizzy being dead since she's not supposed to be killable in the first place.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

bird with big dick posted:

My wife is 5 months pregnant and I’m pushing for a BG3 related name so far got it narrowed down to:

Karlach
Brinna
Necromite

Just realized, five months pregnant...BG3 came out five months ago...this will be the ultimate BG3 baby

e: our precious little Necromite, conceived on August 3rd 2023, developed and published by me and my wife

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 30, 2023

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So I'm still in Act 1 and only just hit level 5, but I've managed to break the combat over my knee by multiclassing Astarion into a Thief/Monk because ahahaha I was curious if the extra bonus action can be used for Flurry and oh my it can, and if you're positioned with advantage every hit is a sneak attack.

Karlach is already rocking face with straight Berserker, Wyll just got an extra attack with his pact weapon and is solid. My Sword Bard sucks but next level he'll finally get another attack. Gale is melting poo poo with lightning gear.

What are the good builds for Shadowheart? She's kinda extremely underwhelming as is, was thinking of converting her into a paladin or maybe mixing her with Ranger. gently caress the Gith chick, that whole race is trash and it's annoying the game features them so heavily in the story.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fuzz posted:

So I'm still in Act 1 and only just hit level 5, but I've managed to break the combat over my knee by multiclassing Astarion into a Thief/Monk because ahahaha I was curious if the extra bonus action can be used for Flurry and oh my it can, and if you're positioned with advantage every hit is a sneak attack.

Karlach is already rocking face with straight Berserker, Wyll just got an extra attack with his pact weapon and is solid. My Sword Bard sucks but next level he'll finally get another attack. Gale is melting poo poo with lightning gear.

What are the good builds for Shadowheart? She's kinda extremely underwhelming as is, was thinking of converting her into a paladin or maybe mixing her with Ranger. gently caress the Gith chick, that whole race is trash and it's annoying the game features them so heavily in the story.

As a straight up Life or Light cleric she's a pretty solid support character. Paladin is a good alternate fit for her though, and as I understand it there's even a handful of unique dialog options for somebody who happens to be a paladin that worships Shar. No matter what it's worth repeccing her though, since her default stat spread is bad and she's got the fairly meh Trickery domain at the start.

And how dare you speak poorly of Lizzie and her fantasy Klingon pals.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 30, 2023

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Laezel owns.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Fuzz posted:

Yes... IF YOU GIVE IT NO FURTHER THOUGHT

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Fuzz posted:

The thief/monk interaction is great (thief/berserker is also a thing for the same reasons, or thief/dual wielding) but it might be worth prioritizing getting monk 5 first because a normal attack is a bit more versatile than a bonus action attack as you'll burn through ki points.

The best cleric domains are Tempest, Light, and Life. Light is a blaster with some great fire spells and a clutch reaction to defend party members. Life gets heavy armor and is better at healing. Tempest is both a blaster and heavy armor. None of these are necessary because fundamentally you're getting your money out of a cleric if they just cast bless on the other party members.

Lae'zel shtick can be annoying but straight battle master fighter is very powerful. She can just decide an enemy shouldn't exist and it won't after her turn. As part of her romance, you duel her, and the one time I tried it she won initiative and melted my Durge paladin on her first turn.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Morrow posted:

Lae'zel shtick can be annoying but straight battle master fighter is very powerful. She can just decide an enemy shouldn't exist and it won't after her turn. As part of her romance, you duel her, and the one time I tried it she won initiative and melted my Durge on her first turn.

I drank an invis potion and she yelled at me for cheating. I won though and that's what's important.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Honestly my favorite round of combat so far in this game was Lae'zel single-handedly deleting the entire thief's guild, after going dead last in initiative. Like she was just waiting for everybody to show their moves, rolled her eyes, and said "no, THIS is what fighting looks like."

Single classed battlemaster fighters are fuckin' scary and she called dibs at character creation.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Morrow posted:

Lae'zel shtick can be annoying but straight battle master fighter is very powerful. She can just decide an enemy shouldn't exist and it won't after her turn. As part of her romance, you duel her, and the one time I tried it she won initiative and melted my Durge paladin on her first turn.

Question on mechanics. Looking for the Minthara romance line but already became the creator of Lae'zel's bruises, do I need to end that relationship first or just keep on trucking and I'll be able to address that as love blossoms with the scratchy voiced drow?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

TraderStav posted:

Question on mechanics. Looking for the Minthara romance line but already became the creator of Lae'zel's bruises, do I need to end that relationship first or just keep on trucking and I'll be able to address that as love blossoms with the scratchy voiced drow?

If you pursue a new romance and are already involved in one, the existing romantic partner will confront you and ask if it's over. They generally take it pretty well if you say yes (nobody is going to leave the party over it or anything, but you do have to suffer through some forlorn puppy faces for your disloyalty).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There's an often overlooked bow sold by Dammon in the Emerald Grove that gives the wielder advantage against all monstrosity-type enemies, which comprise the majority of encounters you will face in Act 1. What they don't tell you is that it works on ALL attacks, not just ranged. Put that on Lae'zel and she will carry your istik nerds all the way to Last Light.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

There's an often overlooked bow sold by Dammon in the Emerald Grove that gives the wielder advantage against all monstrosity-type enemies, which comprise the majority of encounters you will face in Act 1. What they don't tell you is that it works on ALL attacks, not just ranged. Put that on Lae'zel and she will carry your istik nerds all the way to Last Light.

wtf? mind blown, I didnt even think to check it for non-ranged attacks

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Thundarr posted:

Honestly my favorite round of combat so far in this game was Lae'zel single-handedly deleting the entire thief's guild, after going dead last in initiative. Like she was just waiting for everybody to show their moves, rolled her eyes, and said "no, THIS is what fighting looks like."

Single classed battlemaster fighters are fuckin' scary and she called dibs at character creation.

This is true, I have Laezel as her straight up battlemaster single class, and she always pulls the team thru the tough times. I think it's a combination of mobility (cause she can get anywhere she wants with all her gith powers) and so many powerful attacks. Right now she has GWM and Risky Ring and with the Maneuver gloves (that give disadvantage to enemies trying to save from her maneuver affects), so if she starts off with the frighten or the prone, that enemy is pretty much done for, and she enough attacks to just keep going. In one fight, she just took out 3 enemies in one round, she's a better bhaalspawn than my fancy bard-paladin.

EDIT: Also, get that Voss silver sword for Laezel, it's great.

AgentHaiTo fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 30, 2023

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

exquisite tea posted:

Hwhat!

I was wondering why my astarion was getting advantage on his melee attacks so much this run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

All bows let you use their passives while equipped even if you don’t have proficiency.

So that monstrosity bow would cancel out the mind reader effect from doppelgänger’s.