Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Short of excising it via the registry, you can only disable copilot via a gpo, and according to a couple friends who manage enterprise deployments, it turns out that gpos are only supported on Enterprise and Education editions of Windows 11 as of 23H2. Windows 11 Home and Pro apparently just loving ignore gpo settings now. It's possible I've missed something or configured something wrong, but I cannot disable copilot without doing registry edits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

biznatchio posted:

Not sure how you got that from my post. I specifically said I felt good about the oranges.

listen i can read between the lines

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

down1nit posted:

You absolutely can disable Co-Pilot just ask it how. If you want something gone in windows, there's at least a hundred youtube videos about removing it. This is windows ffs, not macos.

This reads like a r/walkaway post where the person pretends to get outraged at something that causes them to "leave their political party"

I think people are just tired of ms bundling a bunch of crapware no one wants into its OS. if it was just copilot, there probably wouldnt be a lot of annoyance, but there's a lot of junk now

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Branch Nvidian posted:

Short of excising it via the registry, you can only disable copilot via a gpo, and according to a couple friends who manage enterprise deployments, it turns out that gpos are only supported on Enterprise and Education editions of Windows 11 as of 23H2. Windows 11 Home and Pro apparently just loving ignore gpo settings now. It's possible I've missed something or configured something wrong, but I cannot disable copilot without doing registry edits.

Oh, ok, I was concerned because you literally said it couldn't be disabled.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

EL BROMANCE posted:

For that kind of setup, they really are the best. My 2018 Intel I upgraded to 32GB was my primary machine for everything and takes it like a champ, I can only imagine how much smoother an M class machine is. We’ve gotten to the point where old hardware just doesn’t feel old anymore, I was using a 2012 Mini for DV capture and it still felt a super capable machine for day to day stuff.

I have a Trashcan Mac running Sonoma that's feeling old finally, but still does videos fine. I notice it's lag more and more.

Is there a generally accepted Mac Mini year that's not awful/unupgradeable? Definitely don't need anything M based yet. Suppose the Mac thread is best.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Oh, ok, I was concerned because you literally said it couldn't be disabled.

Bad choice of wording on my part. Apologies.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

down1nit posted:

I have a Trashcan Mac running Sonoma that's feeling old finally, but still does videos fine. I notice it's lag more and more.

Is there a generally accepted Mac Mini year that's not awful/unupgradeable? Definitely don't need anything M based yet. Suppose the Mac thread is best.

You don't buy mac minis to upgrade them. AFAIK, no.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

down1nit posted:

You absolutely can disable Co-Pilot just ask it how. If you want something gone in windows, there's at least a hundred youtube videos about removing it. This is windows ffs, not macos.

This reads like a r/walkaway post where the person pretends to get outraged at something that causes them to "leave their political party"

When I asked it how to uninstall it, it just pointed me to the add/remove programs settings window, where there wasn't an option. I've gotten it disabled now, and sorry that my post came off like some troll r/walkaway poo poo. It really was just the final annoyance I had to deal with that made me finally go back to using macOS as my primary computer environment. It's not like Microsoft added it and that was the only thing that's ever bothered me. Death by a thousands cuts or whatever.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the later intel mac minis have upgradable RAM but it's not designed to be user serviceable so you have to gut the thing pretty far to get to it

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Branch Nvidian posted:

What the actual gently caress.

Why is MS so insistent on turning their OS into such a dumpster fire. They are bleeding marketshare like nuts and their response is to make poo poo worse...

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 30, 2023

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
number must GO UP!!!!!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

repiv posted:

the later intel mac minis have upgradable RAM but it's not designed to be user serviceable so you have to gut the thing pretty far to get to it

Apple started doing that way before they switched to Intel chips.

To be fair, these days a lot of Windows laptops are just about as bad, though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

CAMM is a step in the right direction, maybe

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Watching youtube tutorials and editing the registry for basic settings is the Linux Experience users desire

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
the registry is evil and should be banished from existence, a unix file system is proper and good

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ziasquinn posted:

the registry is evil and should be banished from existence, a unix file system is proper and good

I actually will come to the defense of the registry. It's an extremely useful implementation of a 'settings' container that dodges many of the problems that would come with putting them in the file system

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Branch Nvidian posted:

When I asked it how to uninstall it, it just pointed me to the add/remove programs settings window, where there wasn't an option. I've gotten it disabled now, and sorry that my post came off like some troll r/walkaway poo poo. It really was just the final annoyance I had to deal with that made me finally go back to using macOS as my primary computer environment. It's not like Microsoft added it and that was the only thing that's ever bothered me. Death by a thousands cuts or whatever.

The unreliable chat bot that you wanted to remove because it is bad didn't cough up the correct word sequence to tell you how to remove it, so you trusted it couldn't be removed?

Let alone that making edits to the registry to toggle features (even if there's no app-specific UI to do it for you) has been a Windows thing for thirty years at this point.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Dariusz2k posted:

This pretty much sums up my experience with Windows 11:

That's on a fresh reboot too.

This is strangely high to me without having anything open because I get 12GB used out of 32GB when I have Steam, Discord and Chrome open with a bunch of tabs, including a handful of YT tabs that are the most memory hungry.

E: And from a fresh boot it uses 8.7GB after everything has stabilised.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 30, 2023

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Also, how are the Enterprise editions of Windows for home use? Is there anything special about licencing that makes it unviable? I've always used Pro editions, but in 11 they've nerfed a bunch of stuff you used to be able to do with it that really bother me.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

ziasquinn posted:

The great part about using the file system for configuration is that every application's developers can express themselves by storing their configuration settings in their own unique way. It might be in an INI file for the oldster developers who are afraid of curly brackets. It might be in JSON for the hipster developers yearning for the day when everything is node. It might be in YAML for masochists. It could even be XML. It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get!

Only scurvy-hating squares want configuration in a centralized location in a standardized format. Where's your fuckin sense of adventure?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

What the actual gently caress.

Why is MS so insistent on turning their OS into such a dumpster fire. They are bleeding marketshare like nuts and their response is to make poo poo worse...

Senior leadership is laser-focused on the quarterly bottom line. The people under them know it, so they offer quixotic pipe dream projects to secure promotions or just avoid getting laid off. Also, feudal power politics between divisions.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

biznatchio posted:

The great part about using the file system for configuration is that every application's developers can express themselves by storing their configuration settings in their own unique way. It might be in an INI file for the oldster developers who are afraid of curly brackets. It might be in JSON for the hipster developers yearning for the day when everything is node. It might be in YAML for masochists. It could even be XML. It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get!

Only scurvy-hating squares want configuration in a centralized location in a standardized format. Where's your fuckin sense of adventure?

but unironically

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Sininu posted:

This is strangely high to me without having anything open because I get 12GB used out of 32GB when I have Steam, Discord and Chrome open with a bunch of tabs, including a handful of YT tabs that are the most memory hungry.

E: And from a fresh boot it uses 8.7GB after everything has stabilised.

everyone complains GNOME is heavy but it only ever used 12GB of ram with a gently caress ton of poo poo open on my machine.

Right now i got 23GB reserved, 17GB in use on W11

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Chronojam posted:

The unreliable chat bot that you wanted to remove because it is bad didn't cough up the correct word sequence to tell you how to remove it, so you trusted it couldn't be removed?

Let alone that making edits to the registry to toggle features (even if there's no app-specific UI to do it for you) has been a Windows thing for thirty years at this point.

why being a hater, why is everyone so mean in here

editing the registry for something that you should be just Add/Remove is crazy talk for the OS for the ppl

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
12GB of ram ought to be enough for anybody

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Branch Nvidian posted:

Can you point to an article about this? Might explain some weird behavior we're seeing at work but I'm not sure.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Branch Nvidian posted:

Fun fact: GPOs are just a basic UI system for editing the registry.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Can you point to an article about this? Might explain some weird behavior we're seeing at work but I'm not sure.

I do not. I got my information from an enterprise IT admin, and her statement was, and I quote,

quote:

all the GPOs only work with enterprise SKUs now
some still work with pro but lol
we only get machines with pro to domain join them and push the enterprise gvlk to them

She might be wrong, but has generally proven knowledgeable enough that I took her at her word.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

ziasquinn posted:

I like the registry ever since learning that much registry terminology has something to do with bees, just to annoy a guy on the team who didn't like bees

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What monster doesn't like bees

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

GI Joe jobs posted:

Watching youtube tutorials and editing the registry for basic settings is the Linux Experience users desire

Poring through config files and dealing with pissy Linux greybeards because you didn't compile Gentoo from scratch.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ziasquinn posted:

everyone complains GNOME is heavy but it only ever used 12GB of ram with a gently caress ton of poo poo open on my machine.

Right now i got 23GB reserved, 17GB in use on W11

Memory is meant to be used. Using a lot--or even all of--your memory isn't a problem unless it's affecting performance because that memory isn't getting freed when needed by something you're doing.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

biznatchio posted:

Get the best of all worlds: Store your config in a REG_BINARY registry value that contains XML-wrapped YAML that, for the most part but not everywhere, is formatted to look like JSON.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

nielsm posted:

Get the best of all worlds: Store your config in a REG_BINARY registry value that contains XML-wrapped YAML that, for the most part but not everywhere, is formatted to look like JSON.

A solid contender for configuring WSL 3

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

nielsm posted:

One time at my first job out of college I wrote code that serialized an object into XML, then stuck that XML into a memo field in an Access database. It passed code review.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

biznatchio posted:

The great part about using the file system for configuration is that every application's developers can express themselves by storing their configuration settings in their own unique way.

Without looking: what are the three unique registry places that Windows itself uses to store configuration for what happens when you double-click / right-click a file?

I've spent plenty of time loving with the registry over the years. If the registry was actually a standardized, consistent, and documented method to store OS and program configuration data in a uniform way it would be pretty cool. But it isn't. TBQH it's just a weird filesystem with some limits on file types and sizes, which is harder to back up and easier to gently caress up than basic-rear end files.

The only reason the registry exists is that pre-NT windows had no per-user home directory. If it had a per-user place to put ini files, ini files would have been fine from 1995 to today.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
The reason the registry exists is because of COM. That’s why it’s called the registry, because it’s where COM registrations lived.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

Without looking: what are the three unique registry places that Windows itself uses to store configuration for what happens when you double-click / right-click a file?

I've spent plenty of time loving with the registry over the years. If the registry was actually a standardized, consistent, and documented method to store OS and program configuration data in a uniform way it would be pretty cool. But it isn't. TBQH it's just a weird filesystem with some limits on file types and sizes, which is harder to back up and easier to gently caress up than basic-rear end files.

The only reason the registry exists is that pre-NT windows had no per-user home directory. If it had a per-user place to put ini files, ini files would have been fine from 1995 to today.

The registry 'fixes' all the problems with settings on the file system. Things like permissions, write and read conflict s, and reference is a total loving mess in a file system. The registry addresses all those problems as a function of its architecture.

The undocumented, neigh-unsearchable nature of it is not great, but that's not really fixed by an implementation in the file system either.

The Best argument for putting this in the FS is that you can store more arbitrary data, but you can accomplish that by storing references to resources in the registry.

The registry is difficult to weild, but none of those problems are fixed by just using the FS. They are fixed with documentation - a thing that wouldn't exist anyway if it was in the FS. People complain about it, but it's s net good.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 31, 2023

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
E: phone posting is the worst...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The registry 'fixes' all the problems with settings on the file system. Things like permissions, write and read conflict s, and reference is a total loving mess in a file system. The registry addresses all those problems as a function of its architecture.

I really don't see how the registry has better permissions than what ntfs has. It doesn't keep program A from messing with the data of program B when run by the same user.

Centralized read/write control is a pro versus files locks, that's true. But it's not a huge one IMO -- other OSes handle this just fine. And versus the huge downsides of single point of failure and difficulty to back up that's small potatoes.

The Best argument for putting this in the FS is that you can store more arbitrary data, but you can accomplish that by storing references to resources in the registry.

No, the best argument for a FS is that I can copy ~/.config to a new PC with a single drag and drop, if so inclined. Getting all my settings moved to a new PC used to be a task that ate a weekend.

Over the last decade or so I've noticed a lot of software ignoring the registry in favor of AppData for config and such. That might just be that I've been using a lot of open source apps for a while now, even on windows, and they just do the cross-compatible thing. But some of it was windows-only. Some of it was made by MS (for ex Windows Terminal). I think other people also think files are better.