Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Getting ready for the post holiday return to school / childcare!!

I just bought stuff to make 2x 10" corsi cubes (one for near the dining table, one for the basement near the stove where air paths originate), and also spent a pile on a Rabbit Air minus A2 for my office. If COVID was my only concern I'd just do more corsis and pocket the change, but these have been on my radar for a while as being "cigar bar grade" and well suited for filtering weed vapors etc out of the air. Also it looks quiet as gently caress, and I can have a corsi in the hallway outside.

Had some conversations with my spouse; if anyone has symptoms of loving anything, I am wearing an N95 for bedtimes etc and eating by myself in my office.

Trying to take some steps here to not have the same kind of spring I had last year. I also have our older kid on board with masking again, at least for the initial return to school period.

Salt Fish posted:

Monetizing something that is so easy to build yourself is poo poo though. Plenty of non-profits use legal force to ensure their contributions aren't abused by companies, for example, free software organizations. If you set out with a goal to make a free to use it makes sense to tell companies that try to monetize it to gently caress off.

It makes sense, but the question of who is entitled to what is tort bullshit; as Definitely Not A Lawyer, I would think using "CR Box" in this regard seems pretty iffy unless your name is Christine Rogers or something, but that's a trademark issue.

From a market perspective, it also makes "sense" to try to monitize on other people's laziness.

Most of the synthesizer modules I buy are available at 50% cost if you get DIY kits and do all the soldering, I don't do that. I'm willing to build my own CR boxes for the moment because it's easy and also, loving lol at the price differential, look at this poo poo

https://www.cleanairkits.com/products/towers-tables

that's $50 worth of corsair fans, $20 worth of Cooler Master fans, like $20 for 2 furnace filters and $5 for some CNC-cut masonite. Looks like about a 10 minute assembly job, so if they are paying labor $50/hr (LOL YEA RIGHT) then we're at $105 assembled for a unit retailing for $300. That gets into normal markup, but just shows how insane normal markup is; I can build 8 10x10 boxes for the same cost. Also why the gently caress are they using PC fans unless going to the trouble of Noctua or something? I really doubt that's "quiet" compared to a 10" box fan, those loving Artic Cooler fans are loud as gently caress.

Honestly it surprises me that enough people who have cash for Bespoke Things still care about COVID enough for there to be a market for literally any of this poo poo.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 20:43 on Dec 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I had a dream that I swabbed my nose first before my mouth, then tried to spit onto the swab over the sink but dropped it instead and then somehow spilled most of the buffer into the sink too.

What the gently caress, I've never done anything like this in waking life.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I think if you literally have other people's initials on your store page you should credit them for popularizing the idea if not compensate them. Naomi Wu does a lot of good poo poo but she is loving exhausting.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

The Oldest Man posted:

I think if you literally have other people's initials on your store page you should credit them for popularizing the idea if not compensate them. Naomi Wu does a lot of good poo poo but she is loving exhausting.

what if their founder is named Chris Roberts and the whole thing is actually a shell game to hide stolen Star Citizen money?

Has anyone investigated? Let's get Curt Shilling on the case ASAP

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
the trademark is for corsi rosenthal box, not cr box. it would be a huge long shot to claim trademark infringement

nevertheless, it seems Naomi said she won’t use the term

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

the trademark is for corsi rosenthal box, not cr box. it would be a huge long shot to claim trademark infringement

I don't think they have trademark case at all I just think it's kind of lovely to be like "gently caress YOU YOU DIDN'T DO ANYTHING" to two guys when you were advertising a product using their initials. Like if they didn't contribute anything then why did you put their initials on it...

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

She did a little more than saying she won't use the term, heh.

https://twitter.com/NukitToBeSure/status/1741107012489060791

This sort of "you made me charge schools full price because you were an rear end in a top hat to me" just makes me think this person is loving crazy. But I think we all knew that already.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
CR (Covid Reduction) Box seems like a reasonable name.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
$295 for that box is ridiculous. I just can’t believe how hard it is to improve on a bunch of square filters plus a piece of cardboard plus a box fan all held together with tape.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
"I can use the awareness raised by a non-profit as free marketing for my product they designed" is free market disruption that can only benefit consumers.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Baddog posted:

This sort of "you made me charge schools full price because you were an rear end in a top hat to me" just makes me think this person is loving crazy. But I think we all knew that already.

I didn’t want to say it but I agree, Naomi Wu is full of poo poo and a poo poo stirrer. donating to a foundation isn’t personally enriching anybody. so acting like Jim loving Rosenthal is some shark tank guy is absurd.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Baddog posted:

I mean she also just straight up decided to tack on $50 bucks to the list price as a punishment for someone daring to question her, that's like borderline type behavior

brap posted:

I didn’t want to say it but I agree, Naomi Wu is full of poo poo and a poo poo stirrer. donating to a foundation isn’t personally enriching anybody. so acting like Jim loving Rosenthal is some shark tank guy is absurd.

Even if you say you're not going to do it I feel like advertising using the name is reason enough to make asking for a donation pretty reasonable

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Baddog posted:

lol what an rear end in a top hat. quoting in case it's deleted

quote:

All set. Any mention of “CR-Box” has been removed from the Tempest page along with referrals to competitors. Price has gone from $129.95 to $179.95 when it becomes available, and there will be no wholesale pricing for schools or for kit builders to resell. Sorry folks, Jim charges market rates for his products, and I'm sure you'll agree it's reasonable for us to do the same.

We have a long history of Open Sourcing all products of our R&D, upcoming innovations from Nukit will be covered under Chinese IP law in a professional manner, and any attempt to manufacture goods in China infringing on our IP will be vigorously defended, in court, here. Nukit is just a normal, IP-respecting and protective business now like everyone wanted.

Any issues with that can be brought up with
@JimRosenthal4
and all the people who saw fit to like and approve of his rent-seeking on a device he did not invent but took credit for and want business to be conducted in this manner. If it’s good enough for him- it’s good enough for everyone.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Baddog posted:

lol what an unhinged weirdo

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Baddog posted:

yea this is just an absolutely childish response and lol gently caress you for charging almost 200 for a loving cube and then having the audacity to accuse someone of "rent seeking"

fuckin lol

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Wow, all these lockdowns gave Naomi wu a really bad case of immunity debt.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Zugzwang posted:

Has anyone in the states successfully gotten Novavax after getting an mRNA booster in the fall? I got Moderna'd around Oct 1.

I found a Riteaid with novavax and drove all the way out there only to be told by the pharmacist that medicaid will not pay for novavax

it's loving $190 out of pocket

what a joke of a system

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Griz posted:

I found a Riteaid with novavax and drove all the way out there only to be told by the pharmacist that medicaid will not pay for novavax

it's loving $190 out of pocket

what a joke of a system

Wait what? My brother is uninsured and we had to pay out of pocket too but it was only $140 for us

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I've been using it for three days, which I hoped would be enough to punch my ticket. I'm pretty sure that I can't find the radar because I'm doing something wrong, but the FAQ pages suck.

did you agree to share your data? And go into your profile, scroll down to premium then turn on cough data? Then scroll down in your journal until you see the cough data for the given day.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

Oracle posted:

did you agree to share your data? And go into your profile, scroll down to premium then turn on cough data? Then scroll down in your journal until you see the cough data for the given day.

It was the "share data" box being unchecked, I think. I knew it was some kind of user error. Thanks!

Griz
May 21, 2001

NeonPunk posted:

Wait what? My brother is uninsured and we had to pay out of pocket too but it was only $140 for us

I remember the pfizer that came out a few months ago was $140 because medicaid was loving around with that one too and made me wait a week and a half before they were actually able to process it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RealityWarCriminal posted:

if you work a job that requires ppe, you should at least be well paid for it

The PPE ought also to be provided, tested, and appropriate for the occupational hazard.

The work should be broken up so that breaks and meals may be taken in nonhazardous environment, with no PPE.

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

The Oldest Man posted:

I mean she also just straight up decided to tack on $50 bucks to the list price as a punishment for someone daring to question her, that's like borderline type behavior

Even if you say you're not going to do it I feel like advertising using the name is reason enough to make asking for a donation pretty reasonable

love to see disparagement against disorders in a disability aware thread. poggers.

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

NeonPunk posted:

$180 for Nova and $140 for mRNA

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Platystemon posted:

The PPE ought also to be provided, tested, and appropriate for the occupational hazard.

The work should be broken up so that breaks and meals may be taken in nonhazardous environment, with no PPE.

I bet hospitals still tell staff to use one n95 per quarter

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I had to go look it up and they just reduced the price for Novavax because we were costco members so that's a mystery solved

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug
The CR Box fight seems like a case of getting incredibly wound up without understanding the difference between a trademark and a patent. She can't use the name because if she sells lovely boxes it taints that name, and she can't imply C-R made it, not because she's stealing their invention or something. It's probably too obvious to even be patentable.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

it's not that bad. these people are weak willed and easily swayed by peers v

indeed

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

NeonPunk posted:

That's the beauty of the American medical system, everyone charges what they think they can get away with

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Oldest Man posted:

When did she decide that CR boxes were cool & good?

Last I recall, she was threatening to contact her critics’ kids’ schools and express concerns that CR boxes were emitting microplastics.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Last I recall, she was threatening to contact her critics’ kids’ schools and express concerns that CR boxes were emitting microplastics.

Probably right around the time she decided to sell one would be my guess

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Let’s not forget that the tweet Jim Rosenthal originally quote-tweeted to ask for a donation was this one

https://x.com/nukittobesure/status/1740909228091687009?s=46&t=f1MRhF2xe8gNhr6WGxk_NA

Where Naomi openly discusses using the CR-Box name to drive search traffic and help her business. Seems reasonable to get a donation for that given they have the trademark and she’s using their name to bring business to her site.

Also this

Platystemon posted:

The Oldest Man posted:

Probably right around the time she decided to sell one would be my guess

And also this tweet about going scorched earth and raising the price $50

https://x.com/nukittobesure/status/1741107012489060791?s=46&t=f1MRhF2xe8gNhr6WGxk_NA

comes exactly three days after a now deleted post about how her selfless doctor grandfather convinced her to restart production of the nukit torch because the public good was far more important than any risk it might bring her

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Was Naomi Wu a thread favorite at one point? It’s getting hard to remember all these characters in the Covid discourse.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
CabbagesAndKings the value prop of cleanairkits is for those who are interested in the PC fan builds because they’re quiet but are overwhelmed by sourcing all the components and actually doing the building, or who would rather spend money than time. Of course you’re free to save money by doing the labor to copy the design, that’s what’s great about the whole CR box movement. Anyone can do it.

The NuKit Tempest is the same idea but metal and doesn’t ship fully assembled, which makes it less accessible.

edit: What the CR box movement really needs is a better fan. Box fans are crazy cheap but loud. PC fans are quiet but too expensive. Anyone have a killer fan that is box fan cheap and PC fan quiet?

Dren has issued a correction as of 23:25 on Dec 30, 2023

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Mumbling posted:

Was Naomi Wu a thread favorite at one point? It’s getting hard to remember all these characters in the Covid discourse.

Known persona rather than thread favorite. This is not the first boneheaded thing she has done.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Mumbling posted:

She's a smart engineer/DIYer and has posted a lot of good stuff about PPE and pestilence-protection-relevant tech. She's also prone to the kind of behavior recently under discussion, so,

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

NeonPunk posted:

Just did! I'm in Texas so maybe they don't really care that much. I got Moderna at the end of September at CVS and just got the moth juice just now at Costco.

The shot felt totally different from the mRna shot. Like the mRna felt absolutely nothing but later get a bit sore at the injection but with Novavax right after they gave me the shot my injection site immediately felt so weird and off, I could felt it flowing through my arm and I felt a bit off, but 30 seconds later feeling nothing at all in my arm at all. Doesn't even feel sore

I got mrna then novavax about 2 months later, novavax hit me worse than all other shots but the first moderna booster/3rd shot I got

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Naomi Wu was, among other things, a rare window into China.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
I'm at an urgent care for unrelated things and this place is getting slammed by covid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Naomi Wu was, among other things, a rare window into China.

Yeah. Also I sort of feel like getting totally hosed over by Vice really soured her, which, you know, understandable.