Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

RCarr posted:

Pistons are +134 to win? How is a team that has lost 28 in a row +134? Gambling is stupid.

Gambling lines aren't there to give the gambler the best bet, it's to induce betting. Right now the Pistons are an extremely popular bet that's memeable. Giving them a good money line will make more people bet on them when they're still likely to lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Yeah I hadn't looked at any Pistons games until this one and was disappointed but not surprised.

Still I never argue with my morning first instincts on betting on basketball. It's the only way I bet these days and it's worked for the past four or five season.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Doltos posted:

Gambling lines aren't there to give the gambler the best bet, it's to induce betting. Right now the Pistons are an extremely popular bet that's memeable. Giving them a good money line will make more people bet on them when they're still likely to lose.

How does giving a worse payout make more people bet on them? If they were like +500 there’s more incentive to throw some money on them. I’d much rather throw $10 on them with the chance to win $50, than to win $13.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
So glad we're in the deal zone. Feels....right.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Please disregard my previous post about how the Raptors were definitely going to lose tonight. God is real and he def will find the Pistons losing to Raptors 905 too funny to pass up.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/BMRReviews/status/1741155428749201712

lol

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

BWV posted:

Please disregard my previous post about how the Raptors were definitely going to lose tonight. God is real and he def will find the Pistons losing to Raptors 905 too funny to pass up.

going to be so good watching cade put up 52-9-15 in a 15 point loss where Mouhamadou Gueye and Makur Maker come off the bench for 27 points and a double double, respectively

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
free deuce mcbride

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

RCarr posted:

Pistons are +134 to win? How is a team that has lost 28 in a row +134? Gambling is stupid.

at home, plus the raptors played last night

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

RCarr posted:

How does giving a worse payout make more people bet on them? If they were like +500 there’s more incentive to throw some money on them. I’d much rather throw $10 on them with the chance to win $50, than to win $13.

Oh I'm an idiot nevermind. I have it backwards. You're right they think the Pistons are going to win tonight + a lot of people betting on them = Vegas doesn't want to pay a lot of money if they win, which they think they will.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
+135 does not mean they expect the Pistons to win.

+135 means they expect them to lose.

they were +1100 against the Celtics.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
you bet 100, you win 135. a + bet is an underdog

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Drunk Canuck posted:

I'll miss you OG, and to an extent Malachi.

Boo I liked Flynn, I hope he prospers on the new team.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Like this is essentially Vegas thinking that the way they can make the most money on both sides of this bet, is to say that the Raptors are gonna win by 4 or more points.

The Money Line is saying if you bet 100 bucks on the raptors you will win ~66 dollars.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 30, 2023

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Dexo posted:

+135 does not mean they expect the Pistons to win.

+135 means they expect them to lose.

they were +1100 against the Celtics.

Thank you I confused myself because of rcarr not because I'm an uncool non sports gambler

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
All sports gambling is uncool now.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

You should remain one, the push for sports gambling sucks.

I only do it like every once in a blue moon when I see something silly(like the aformentioned +1100 in a single goddamn NBA game which I was real close to pulling the trigger on. Glad I didn't obviously, but yeah +1100 is just obscene)

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I like this trade for the knicks sadly.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
When I bet the Pistons on the 18th against the Hawks, they paid +550 on my book.

Tonight they're +225 and dropping.

lol Raptors

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 30, 2023

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Yeah I think this is great for the knicks. Better than some insane homerun swing, this just plain a clear upgrade. Obviously they aren't doing poo poo this year without Mitchell Robinson but considering how many picks they still have left, they will be a very good team next season.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/i_zzzzzz/status/1741186487180214618

This is the kind of insider information I crave

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
American sports odds are terrible, just use ratios like civilized people please

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://x.com/Jim_Eichenhofer/status/1741191183525622224?s=20

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

NBA tampering investigation plz take some second rounders from them

quote:

What’s next for New York? The Knicks didn’t land Anunoby without an understanding of his own financial considerations. Anunoby held meetings with several agencies this past offseason when he decided to leave Klutch Sports, telling potential representation he was interested in a larger offensive role that would be commensurate with a salary figure in the ballpark of $40 million in average annual value, league sources told Yahoo Sports. However, Anunoby did leave those potential agents with the impression he would be willing to accept a smaller figure if he were to have landed in New York, sources said. And it’s relevant to note the Indiana product did ultimately sign with CAA, which has deep connections to New York leadership.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

This led me down a rabbit hole where I discovered that far and away the all-time leader for FT% in a single season (assuming some minimum # of attempts, I'm sure) at 98.1%, over 2% higher than the runner-up, is Jose Calderon

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
https://i.imgur.com/xWReudO.mp4
audio on

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
I, for one, am just glad the Raptors decided to stop treading water.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
og has a player option next season, i wonder if ny had assurances he'd pick it up. lol randle, brunson, anunoby is not making the finals

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Thibs is going to play OG 45 minutes a game.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
There's no reason for him to do that. A big part of his whole thing is wanting to be more involved on offense but he really needs to sign his big contract before trying that out.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

SunshineDanceParty posted:

There's no reason for him to do that.

lol thibs gonna thibs. og is now the teams best defender, thibs is gonna grind him into dust

Eratik
Jun 23, 2004

I like your style.
OG had plenty of opportunities to show an ability to handle more of an offensive load. It never really went anywhere. He could maybe have a bit of a Kawhi pull-up midrange game if he starts getting away with shouldering guys but that was usually called against him in Toronto.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Ammanas posted:

og has a player option next season, i wonder if ny had assurances he'd pick it up. lol randle, brunson, anunoby is not making the finals

He will almost assuredly opt out, and then get a new deal in NY. Unless he gets hurt or something.

He would be dumb as poo poo to not cash in now.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Ammanas posted:

Randle,Brunson,Anunoby,Mitchell and 40 year old LeBron finally comes to NY just like in the Prophecy's!

Surely that's good enough to at least get to a finals!

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

I would absolutely not doubt LeBron wanting his farewell tour to be at MSG. That would be a lot of loving money.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Papes posted:

American sports odds are terrible, just use ratios like civilized people please

I just dropped a 20 on the Pistons +10 at 23/4.

e: unnecessary snark my bad

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 30, 2023

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
If anyone bought into the “four first” hype of OG I could see being disappointed but that seems to be a trade that makes a lot of sense.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Chronicles posted:

I would absolutely not doubt LeBron wanting his farewell tour to be at MSG. That would be a lot of loving money.

Player-owner in las vegas

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Athanatos posted:

Tyrese Haliburton: 21 Points 20 Assists 0 Turnovers

Only the second 20/20/0 game (since 1978). CP3 had 20/20/0 in 2016.

I remember CP3 arguing with Vinny Del Negro like this at times. Luka is the new CP3.

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

What was the SRS of the 9-73 '72-'73 Sixers?

e: Found it. -11.50. Lmao that Mavs team was garbage

Nearly 1/3rd of the 1993 Mavericks games were 20+ point losses. They also lost a game by 58 points. Constant 20+ point losses with one miracle win per month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Embiid on Wembanyama's development: "Do you want to become KD, or do you want to become me?"
https://sports.yahoo.com/embiid-wembanyamas-development-want-become-171421923.html

Top 10 Highest Scoring Games in NBA history
https://www.basketball-reference.com/bbr-blog/2023/12/top-10-highest-scoring-games-in-nba-history/

Forrest on Fire posted:

24/25 is some vintage Drummond, my god

In the last decade he's the only player to have a 24+/24+ game with 3+ steals. He's done it four times now.

Going back further: Dwight Howard did it a couple of times in 2012. Chris Webber once in 2001 and Vlade Divac once in 1995.