Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
New version of Retro Bowl is out. College football. Haven't played it yet but I loved the original

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
Extremely old games at this point, but if you like tower defense games the Kingdom Rush games are good on tablets.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lowness 72 posted:

New version of Retro Bowl is out. College football. Haven't played it yet but I loved the original

Its great. It has the same mechanics as the original, but adds the complications of college sports. Your players are with you a maximum of 4 seasons, sometimes less if they get drafted, so you have to constantly cycle players. You can't trade and draft players either, you get pools of freshman that you have to pick from. Players also have GPA they have to maintain, so benching people so they can go to class is necessary sometimes. It basically takes the awesome gameplay and fixes alot of the issues the first one had wrt to building a godlike team and being unbeatable ever again. There's even some press events that ask you to identify players by name so you need to actually learn names and positions.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Circle Nine posted:

Extremely old games at this point, but if you like tower defense games the Kingdom Rush games are good on tablets.

Coincidentally I booted up Kingdom Rush: Frontiers to find they added a challenge mode since I last played. You can make your own challengea and share them with friends.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I picked up XCOM 2 on a lark and drat this is a really good port. Lots of great touchscreen changes to the UI to make it more palatable on a phone without changing a thing about the actual gameplay from the full version.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I'm a couple seasons into the College Retro Bowl and slung them a few bucks for unlimited mode, it's fun and a nice twist but a lot of the "money" plays from Retro Bowl are still here. Gunslinger QB plus speedy WR will dominate all defenses. Passing to non star WRs becomes pointless once the dynamic difficulty ramps up. I'm trying a run focused team but that also becomes difficult at the highest difficulties as well. Still fun but I'll probably bounce off soon.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Retro Bowl College - I haven't played the original, but I'm quite enjoying this. Though my major issue is it seems like my defence is always catastrophically bad - any time the opposition gets the ball they are like 90% to touchdown. Is that just a quirk of the games, or is there something I'm not building right in my team? I have been trying to buy star offence and defence players roughly evenly, and my defence star rating is usually within a half star of the opposition's offence.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Shapez had an update that fixed "save file corruption after level 17" which incidentally is where I had issues, so those in the thread with the same issue can try it again.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I hope they fixed the weird placement issue I kept having. Like there were quadrants of the screen that I just couldn't drag anything to without trying it a bunch of times. They said it was a known issue when I sent them a chat thing about it. Game's just got some weird controls in general but it looks like they're at least attempting to fix the big issues which is good to see.

Edit: Oh, the latest update with the save fix was before I played last so i think my thing is still messed up :v:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 29, 2023

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
So I've been playing Candy Crush for probably over 10 years now.... Not much has been taking up my time on my phone except for that and sometimes Solitaire.

Any recommendations for recent Android games that are easy to pick up and play? I don't mind paying. I'm thinking about getting Monopoly because I was hooked on it when a recent plane I flew had it on their entertainment screen.

I just downloaded Mahjong and Monopoly Go.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Dec 30, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Busy Bee posted:

So I've been playing Candy Crush for probably over 10 years now.... Not much has been taking up my time on my phone except for that and sometimes Solitaire.

Any recommendations for recent Android games that are easy to pick up and play? I don't mind paying. I'm thinking about getting Monopoly because I was hooked on it when a recent plane I flew had it on their entertainment screen.

Candy Crush is a game where probably a million dollars went into making it accessible for every 50 year old nurse I work with to play on their night shifts - you're not often going to see that kind of 'easy to pick up and play' in games that we may even consider better. With that said, here are the two games that make me wish I would get brain damage from a car accident so I could forget them and play them again:

1) You Must Build A Boat (maybe goon made?)
2) Slice and Dice (GOON MADE!)

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Royal Match is pretty good. And it doesn't have ads, which is nice. The building mechanic is meh, but also optional.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We had a baby at the end of October and I installed Royal Match as a simple game to play during those long nights, rocking the baby to sleep.

I'm on level 2225 and questioning my own sanity.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Renegret posted:

We had a baby at the end of October and I installed Royal Match as a simple game to play during those long nights, rocking the baby to sleep.

I'm on level 2225 and questioning my own sanity.

There really should be a subset of game genre that is specifically for new parents. The criteria would likely be that it has to be not stressful, and suffer literally no penalty from being quickly closed. If it's turn-based and easy on the battery, all the better.

Into the Breach would be near the top of my list, if not #1, not just because it's a fantastic game, but because it fits that criteria as well. If only I had it when my kids were young.

I had.... Egg Inc :negative:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I had adventure communist, egg inc, and afk arena for my first.

Honestly royal match is much worse for my sanity

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Into the Breach

Is there a way to play this without a Netflix subscription?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

1) You Must Build A Boat (maybe goon made?)
2) Slice and Dice (GOON MADE!)

YMBAB is a sequel to 10000000, which you don't need to play first but I still recommend it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Is there a way to play this without a Netflix subscription?

on android it's apparently a netflix exclusive but it's on a bunch of other platforms

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Vulpes posted:

Retro Bowl College - I haven't played the original, but I'm quite enjoying this. Though my major issue is it seems like my defence is always catastrophically bad - any time the opposition gets the ball they are like 90% to touchdown. Is that just a quirk of the games, or is there something I'm not building right in my team? I have been trying to buy star offence and defence players roughly evenly, and my defence star rating is usually within a half star of the opposition's offence.

Pay attention to the messages when the other team has possession. Things like "so and so missed the tackle/wasn't strong enough/wasn't fast enough". Level those stats up on those defenders and you'll see bug increases in effectiveness. That said, difficulty setting will throw all of that out the window generally if it's on harder settings. If it's on max, they're going to score every time they have the ball.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Busy Bee posted:

Slay the Spire is essentially Battle Solitaire.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

teethgrinder posted:

Night of the Full Moon is a pretty approachable and well made entry in this genre.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Busy Bee posted:

Merge Mayor is pretty simple and while it's a little more in your face with promos now it's still pretty decent and I've gotten through it without paying for anything.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

Solitairica is LITERALLY Battle Solitaire.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

But not as good as Slay The Spire

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The android port of StS kinda sucks though

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

explosivo posted:

Have you tried it recently? After being neglected for over a year it got a bunch of updates that I think have got it in a good place finally. Blew my mind that even the cloud sync is fast now.

But some people do seem to have issues with specific models/OS updates.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

explosivo posted:

I installed it again last night and it's very annoying trying to deselect and select another card.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

teethgrinder posted:

Have you tried it recently? After being neglected for over a year it got a bunch of updates that I think have got it in a good place finally. Blew my mind that even the cloud sync is fast now.

But some people do seem to have issues with specific models/OS updates.

CaptainBeefart posted:

I installed it again last night and it's very annoying trying to deselect and select another card.

It may have been 6 months or so since I've played but this is what always bothered me the most about it. The controls just never felt as precise as they should be and I'd accidentally play cards or skip cards or things like that because of it. I also find the UI too shrunken down to play on the phone, like cards were always kinda hard to read.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Slay the Spire was so annoying on Android because it's landscape only and I just wanna play the card game. Let me tap the cards, I don't need to see my guy on the left and the enemies on the right

Dawncaster is the closest experience and some days I prefer StS, some days I'm sitting at Neow but staring at my phone desperately trying to get a Darkness Hunter deck to work in DC

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

CaptainBeefart posted:

YUP. I keep getting stuck with a card selected that I didn't even intend to, and it's likely I'll play it no matter how carefully I try to deselect it.

Dawncaster is a good concept but horribly unbalanced in favor of the player to the amount where there's no point playing it. It's boring.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

LifeLynx posted:

YUP. I keep getting stuck with a card selected that I didn't even intend to, and it's likely I'll play it no matter how carefully I try to deselect it.

Dawncaster is a good concept but horribly unbalanced in favor of the player to the amount where there's no point playing it. It's boring.

Is there a secret for Hard or Impossible? I'm regularly getting my rear end kicked

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I beat the new/harder version of Mindustry and now I am adrift without towers to defend and units to build. The old mode has more content but it is a lot more rudimentary and pretty annoying in some places. Sorry devs but if I build four items in a power zone them the node shouldn't link with the first and then leave the rest unpowered.

I decided to give Kingdom Rish Frontiers a kick after playing a bit of it's predecessors back in the day. However, I'm having a bit of a problem keeping things going. For those who have played, is building tall or wide better when you're starting out? That is to say, is two level three towers worth more than one level four tower?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Better to concentrate your towers on a minimal number of choke points. I used to spread them out but when I watched a few level tutorials they always did the opposite, so I switched.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
I'm going on a long flight and a long layover, and figured I might buy Final Fantasy VI. Does anyone know if it's a good port? And are there any stupid online requirements to boot it up or something like that?

And lastly, any other good offline jrpgs I might consider instead?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Sjonkel posted:

I'm going on a long flight and a long layover, and figured I might buy Final Fantasy VI. Does anyone know if it's a good port? And are there any stupid online requirements to boot it up or something like that?

And lastly, any other good offline jrpgs I might consider instead?

Is it the pixel remaster? Or the older one with weird graphics?

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Looks like the pixel remaster: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...Brqmq2w-WzKzoAQ

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I bought Chrono Trigger for Android and I do not suggest it. There's a common bug where it just won't load after android updates and their patching folks take forever to fix it.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I'm pretty sure I beat all of this (years?) ago. Just reinstalled because it was fun.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

CuddleCryptid posted:

I decided to give Kingdom Rish Frontiers a kick after playing a bit of it's predecessors back in the day. However, I'm having a bit of a problem keeping things going. For those who have played, is building tall or wide better when you're starting out? That is to say, is two level three towers worth more than one level four tower?

Definitely tall because Frontiers has some bonkers upgraded towers or whatever you call it when the tower changes to a different one. Like Archers can change to Crossbow which is a god tier tower in the series. Necromancer is also god tier. I can’t keep the rest straight if they are in that game or others but if I remember right those two are just crazy good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Hand Row posted:

Definitely tall because Frontiers has some bonkers upgraded towers or whatever you call it when the tower changes to a different one. Like Archers can change to Crossbow which is a god tier tower in the series. Necromancer is also god tier. I can’t keep the rest straight if they are in that game or others but if I remember right those two are just crazy good.

Yeah the crossbow tower is great, especially with the barrage power. Necro is also great for having slowing bodies. The ones that I have found the most effective are Crossbow, Necro, and the AOE T4 artillery. It's just more of a thing in the midgame where it's "do I buy a lot of towers or just dump gold into a few and leave some spaces open". It sounds like the latter is the better choice.