Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I don't do any pre-processing (except for scrap) and I can still fulfill drat near every mission within the same day if I want to. Once I have the factory, everything is produced on demand within the same day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

GotLag posted:

I don't do any pre-processing (except for scrap) and I can still fulfill drat near every mission within the same day if I want to. Once I have the factory, everything is produced on demand within the same day.

Of course! It's just more convenient to have the stuff on hand because I can leave my house, do my rounds around town and drop off commissions, then bugger off to whatever I want to do for the day (or go back to bed). Otherwise I'd have to go back and pick up the finished materials and then go back out to deliver them.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I keep 100 bars of everything mostly because I can quickly scroll through the furnace goods list and if I see three digits I know I don’t need to smelt more.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
get on her level, scrubs

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
My queen.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

How is this game as a co-op thing? Can you play it purely (or nearly purely) co-op? Or is it more like Animal Crossing where you run separate games and can visit each others world/save/whatever?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
From what I understand, co-op is its own special mode. They were originally going to have it be its own, separate story (a prequel to the main game) but I guess that was mostly abandoned and its just kinda a co-op builder sandbox experience.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yeah but I agree with Megazver, by the time you get the buildings you’re mostly at a point where production efficiency or speed doesn’t matter any more. Or at least that’s how it seems so far.

Would be cool to get a mod or post-game DLC with massively increased demands to actually put your fully upgraded factory to work.

Actually, might be cool to play a game like this where you start out with a mega factory but need to strategically salvage your own hardware at certain points for parts or resources that can't be found anymore -- or perhaps in the theme of Sandrock, you work on converting the mega factory into a greener processes that may require more labour to produce the same stuff without as much pollution or waste. I suppose designing a game with this reverse power curve would be very difficult however.

Ever since someone misleadingly sold me on Planescape Torment as a game where you keep getting weaker and losing body parts and stuff as the game goes on, I've it he'd for a reverse power curve game.

Closest I've seen are games that start you off strong to take it away to re earn piecemeal.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 25, 2023

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Khanstant posted:

Ever since someone misleadingly sold me on Planescape Torment as a game where you keep getting weaker and losing body parts and stuff as the game goes on, I've it he'd for a reverse power curve game.

Closest I've seen are games that start you off strong to take it away to re earn piecemeal.

It’s not something I’m familiar with nor something Portia related, but off the top of my head three titles that might be of interest to you
Incarnation
Hero must die. again
Sinner: Sacrifice for Redemption

Other things might come to mind, but I’m wondering if any of the time series are now decent Switch ports? The initial reviews of Portia on switch were not flattering and my ‘in 2023’ searches weren’t promising. Context; I already own on PC, I’m just away till the third of January. $40 for a poor port isnt acceptable. Even $20 would be tough to swallow without some strong optimism.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How does the game not have a mod to skip the 30 seconds of loving splash screens on startup?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Khanstant posted:

Some of the scenarios in Frostpunk operate on that kind of curve.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lmao, right after Nia arrived and I'm showing her around, Heidi shows up to ask to be "more than friends." Giving a weird first impression here!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm getting "[Person] admiring your [Relic]. +5 Relationship" messages, never seen that mechanic before.
Is that for relics you hang at your home or donate to the museum?

Also, what do I do with spare relic copies? Sell them?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
As best I can tell, NPCs occasionally visit the museum, and if they see something they like you get a bonus. It seems pretty rare though.

Sell or gift relics you've already donated. Or decorate your house with them.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I'm pretty sure it's relics in your house, not the museum. It happened occasionally before but the latest patch seems to have massively increased the frequency.

Also relics make pretty great gifts, nearly all of them are someone's loved gift

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gato posted:

I'm pretty sure it's relics in your house, not the museum. It happened occasionally before but the latest patch seems to have massively increased the frequency.

Also relics make pretty great gifts, nearly all of them are someone's loved gift

That would make sense before I only just realized that you can use Relics as decoration (and that, more importantly, they give you stats) and similarly I just saw that relationship gain message for the first time ever. So they must be connected.

Although the question is...what the gently caress are all these people doing in my loving bedroom looking at my poo poo?!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Yeah, relics in your house or yard will attract visitors to give you rep. It's a very common misconception though, because most people donate the relics to the museum first, and most people prioritize museum displays of relics over other objects, so frequently you'll have a relic displayed in both locations.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
In Portia It was a nice hands-off way to gain relationship points, it's not quite as important in this one since the frequency is much lower. But now they contribute to your stats so you might as well still do it?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Just put the dozen cat sphinx statues on your roof overseeing the townsfolk, they all love it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think each character will admire a particular relic more than once and they certainly won't look at more than one in a single trip. still, it's free rep for stuff you were already using as stat furniture.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't think each character will admire a particular relic more than once and they certainly won't look at more than one in a single trip. still, it's free rep for stuff you were already using as stat furniture.

I put up relics early and my yard constantly has someone looking into it, saying some thing I have is neat.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

They can also admire relics that are inside your house, once at 2am Burgess admired a spaceship model that I had in my second-floor bedroom :stare:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
When you go to sleep at night, listen carefully and you might hear burgess's heavy breathing

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

When you sleep Mi-an watches you through the second floor window.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I can confirm that Mi-an does take commissions from the board!
I have a commission board in my yard and I just saw one of the little icons vanish from it at 7:35. When I checked the map, Mi-an was in the Commerce Guild

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wish there was a mod that would let me hold the attack button and it would mash for me.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I wish there was a mod that would let me hold the attack button and it would mash for me.

This does work for mining/chopping at least. You can use AutoHotKey to bodge together something on your end if you have the desire to.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Luckily the fighting in infrequent enough that all the clicking doesn't get to diablo levels

Got this game as an xmo prezo to myself and I'm having a blast... The camel Sandy freaks me out though.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Use greatsword so you click a lot less often for big fat numbers. GSword with +crit chance on kill is absolutely beyond disgusting.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It sucks this game was completely ignored by all the Best Games of the Year lists.

It was definitely in my Top 3.

EDIT: Also, some dev commentary on how they designed Unsuur: https://www.reddit.com/r/MyTimeAtSandrock/comments/18tql2n/dev_insights2_creating_unsuur_the_backstory_of_a/

Megazver fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 2, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's definitely at the very least the best game in the genre, IMO.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
not a lot of competition in the post-apocalyptic public works simulator genre

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Megazver posted:

It sucks this game was completely ignored by all the Best Games of the Year lists.

It was definitely in my Top 3.

EDIT: Also, some dev commentary on how they designed Unsuur: https://www.reddit.com/r/MyTimeAtSandrock/comments/18tql2n/dev_insights2_creating_unsuur_the_backstory_of_a/

That thread reminded me of my favorite Unsuur moment, where you say "It's not normal to have boxes of dozens of rocks" and he responds "Oh you're one to talk, you have hundreds of rocks in boxes at your workshop" Fair.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I absolutely love this game and it is my 2023 GOTY as I've been completely obsessed with the game for the last 6 weeks. When I'm not playing Sandrock, I'm thinking about Sandrock.

That being said - I do have two complaints about the game.

- The invisible walls suck. Portia never really used invisible walls. If they didn't want you going somewhere, the bridge would be out or there would be a cliff you couldn't climb. The invisible wall use in Sandrock is egregious. They give us a huge desert and then put an invisible wall right down the center of it for zero reason. It feels very much like "we ran out of budget/time so this is our fix." Very disappointing.

- Sandfishing sucks. I generally love fishing in games. Sandfishing is not good.

Though, I guess these are both fairly minor complaints in the grand scheme of things. It's a credit to the game that these are the only two real complaints I can come up with.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Yeah, I definitely don't like the fishing in this vs first one

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

I absolutely love this game and it is my 2023 GOTY as I've been completely obsessed with the game for the last 6 weeks. When I'm not playing Sandrock, I'm thinking about Sandrock.

- The invisible walls suck.
- Sandfishing sucks.

Yeah agreed with those complaints, though they are very minor compared to how much the game does right. I'm like, 90+ hours in and there are still new story beats happening. It's pretty wild and way more than I expected out of this game.

Talorat posted:

That thread reminded me of my favorite Unsuur moment, where you say "It's not normal to have boxes of dozens of rocks" and he responds "Oh you're one to talk, you have hundreds of rocks in boxes at your workshop" Fair.

Unsuur has slowly become my favorite character.

AcidCat fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 2, 2024

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

AcidCat posted:

Yeah agreed with those complaints, though they are very minor compared to how much the game does right. I'm like, 90+ hours in and there are still new story beats happening. It's pretty wild and way more than I expected out of this game.

I'm 130 hours in and I looked at the full list of story quests and I'm about 70% through.

Though, the last stretch will probably go faster since I don't have much side stuff to do.

I guess that would be my only other complaint - the side quests tend to be a bit frontloaded. Since they trigger of a combination of story progress and relationship level, depending on how you play, they may all trigger at once. For the first 40-50 hours of the game, every in game day felt like I had at least one new side quest popping up. Now, the only thing I have going is the main story. So the days where no main story is happening can be a bit... dry.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My absolute biggest complaint about Portia was, I quote, "every character needs 10 times more writing." and I never expected that they would actually do it, but god drat they sure did.
Everything else is just cream on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

- The invisible walls suck. Portia never really used invisible walls. If they didn't want you going somewhere, the bridge would be out or there would be a cliff you couldn't climb. The invisible wall use in Sandrock is egregious. They give us a huge desert and then put an invisible wall right down the center of it for zero reason. It feels very much like "we ran out of budget/time so this is our fix." Very disappointing.

- Sandfishing sucks. I generally love fishing in games. Sandfishing is not good.

Though, I guess these are both fairly minor complaints in the grand scheme of things. It's a credit to the game that these are the only two real complaints I can come up with.

I was gonna put it as my #2 in the goty thread but while writing the post I realised I'd written like nearly triple what I had for any other game and almost all positive and bumped it up to #1.