Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

habeasdorkus posted:

I still don't see how anyone matches Argenta (or Ulfar, but most people use Argenta) for sheer damage dealing ability - i can get nice big crits from Yrliet sniping but that's at most a couple attacks a turn, and I can see how Pasqual can do a lot of damage with a heroic action but it's single shot plasma and takes a lot longer and a lot more clicking and of course requires a heroic action.

yeah. there's no matching argenta because she can literally take down the 20k hp final boss before it gets a turn. pasqal is maybe technically as powerful as argenta thorough act 4 on a damage per turn basis because you can get his ap cost down to zero and then use finest hour on him to fire 11 times, but in terms of actual irl time spent firing single plasma shots it's much worse and less fun, and argenta still massively outpaces him in the end with act 5 bolters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Zodium posted:

yeah. there's no matching argenta because she can literally take down the 20k hp final boss before it gets a turn. pasqal is maybe technically as powerful as argenta thorough act 4 on a damage per turn basis because you can get his ap cost down to zero and then use finest hour on him to fire 11 times, but in terms of actual irl time spent firing single plasma shots it's much worse and less fun, and argenta still massively outpaces him in the end with act 5 bolters.

Yrliet does more work then my Argenta now in chapter 4 with the stacking assassin buffs and true damage, I started funneling officer abilities to her instead.

Finished off a boss so hard it doesn't even give the damage value, just the true damage dealt, which was several hundred. I guess it applies that first. I'll be honest, I think anybody saying they've mastered the combat system and understand how it works and calculates is just lying.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Sharkopath posted:

Yrliet does more work then my Argenta now in chapter 4 with the stacking assassin buffs and true damage, I started funneling officer abilities to her instead.

Finished off a boss so hard it doesn't even give the damage value, just the true damage dealt, which was several hundred. I guess it applies that first. I'll be honest, I think anybody saying they've mastered the combat system and understand how it works and calculates is just lying.

argenta does several hundred damage per individual burst shot.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Arglebargle III posted:

I really like how they wrote the dualogue for Pasqal. They way he combines religious and technical language is perfect. I especially like his total certitude in religious pronouncements, as if his religion is as simple as reading an instruction manual and promptly carrying out its instructions. The way he announces miracles or declares that one guy a martyr of the faith and designates him for servo skull production were inspired. I'm stealing this for tabletop.

I also liked how he showed up at the heretic forge and his first act is to formally decertify it.

I also love that, in absolute math nerd fashion, he prefaces all of his replies to any musing, joke or spitballing with "This statement is true/false". I'm eagerly waiting for him to reply to an "X or Y ?" question with "Yes."

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Zodium posted:

argenta does several hundred damage per individual burst shot.

That's the true damage, so the actual hit was several thousand. I think there's also crit multiplication going on to get it that high. No clue what the order of operations is.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Turning Argenta into a beast I think motivates me to buy and learn this game

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Its demotivated me to continue playing it. Whats the point if every combat ends with argenta having murdered everything before her first actual turn comes up.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Just don't use Argenta if you want combat to be fun

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah those are tough balances in these kinds of games. It does work sometimes tho to have a tight game where you can by the end break it open and Uber-Ramza your way through the last Act (for example )

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Sharkopath posted:

That's the true damage, so the actual hit was several thousand. I think there's also crit multiplication going on to get it that high. No clue what the order of operations is.

all hit chance over 95% is converted to crit chance, so it's trivial to get her to max crit chance because it basically happens automatically as she builds stacks, and you only need to build for damage and crit damage. the first bring it down round will get her to 8 stacks, then first finest hour to just under 20, and then your ballistic skill is in the several hundreds while you go to second bid/fh cycle and annihilate everything still standing. between run and gun, dash and finest hour you have more than enough mp to reposition as needed to hit everything even in large areas like the act 5 maps. the calculations don't really matter because the numbers quickly become Large.

Carcer posted:

Its demotivated me to continue playing it. Whats the point if every combat ends with argenta having murdered everything before her first actual turn comes up.

it's fun to figure it out, like solving a puzzle.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Carcer posted:

I'm starting to think friendly AI is using the enemy-forced-to-attack-allies AI. It does everything it can to line up shots that hit your squad as much as possible. going out of its way to move if its current firing line doesn't hit any of your squad.

I thought I was going crazy but you have validated that this is definitely a thing that’s happening and it’s not just me.

Dudes will constantly have a direct line of sight to an enemy and then loving sprint away at a 90 degree angle to put as many of my party as possible in their sights before they fire.

Maybe the AI is trying to get behind the party as a meat shield?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

I thought I was going crazy but you have validated that this is definitely a thing that’s happening and it’s not just me.

Dudes will constantly have a direct line of sight to an enemy and then loving sprint away at a 90 degree angle to put as many of my party as possible in their sights before they fire.

Maybe the AI is trying to get behind the party as a meat shield?

On multiple occasions I have seen the ally NPCs line up directly behind one of my party members and then burst fire.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Carcer posted:

lol look at this baby who gave up at first stupidly overpowered build they found

find more

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if the calculation to determine best AoE position was treating allies as enemies - they go behind your guys as it adds extra bodies to hit regardless of if those are friendly bodies.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I’m only just into Act 4 but I am finding Argenta significantly less broken than before the recent patch, you actually have to work and spend several rounds building versatility before she destroys the encounter.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fellblade posted:

I’m only just into Act 4 but I am finding Argenta significantly less broken than before the recent patch, you actually have to work and spend several rounds building versatility before she destroys the encounter.

Not if you have multiple Officers. With proper use of Heroics she can still destroy an entire encounter before an enemy gets to act.

Though I guess it's partly my fault for deciding Argenta isn't murderous enough and building a Merc to replace her.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 31, 2023

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

VanillaGorilla posted:

I dunno - I feel like there’s a better game here where you strip out most of the ship exploration and colony management and focus in on building out the three “main” planets with more locations and side stories - making more of a KOTOR than a Mass Effect. Kind of par for the course for Owlcat where there’s always like one extraneous set of systems (kingdom management, the crusade, etc) that weighs on the experience.

Blech.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

I dunno - I feel like there’s a better game here where you strip out most of the ship exploration and colony management and focus in on building out the three “main” planets with more locations and side stories - making more of a KOTOR than a Mass Effect. Kind of par for the course for Owlcat where there’s always like one extraneous set of systems (kingdom management, the crusade, etc) that weighs on the experience.
No thanks, those kind of extraneous systems is why I want to play Owlcat games. Let whatever scrap is left of Bioware handle what you are describing instead.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ulfar you just told me you have Terminator honors where the gently caress is the armor? Give me my loving terminator armor drat it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My RT and Ulfar are vibing, shame it's hard to fit him into my party.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Zodium posted:

all hit chance over 95% is converted to crit chance, so it's trivial to get her to max crit chance because it basically happens automatically as she builds stacks, and you only need to build for damage and crit damage. the first bring it down round will get her to 8 stacks, then first finest hour to just under 20, and then your ballistic skill is in the several hundreds while you go to second bid/fh cycle and annihilate everything still standing. between run and gun, dash and finest hour you have more than enough mp to reposition as needed to hit everything even in large areas like the act 5 maps. the calculations don't really matter because the numbers quickly become Large.

it's fun to figure it out, like solving a puzzle.

dang, I didn't know that. I feel like all my shots are 95% by and large, or at least they will be after the first burst from Argenta buffs everything.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fellblade posted:

Yes she's not nearly as insane as before.

There's some extra stuff that boosts versatility building that will probably become a lot more important for her. Some ring slot item called Combat Manipulator

quote:

Whenever the wearer uses a non-attacking consumable item (e.g. stimulant, medikit, etc.), it counts as an attack of a different type than the previous attack for the purposes of Versatility.

So I guess using a non-attack item in between 2 bursts would keep building versatility? I'm not sure on the wording.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Argenta is my MVP as a bounty hunter as well.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Remember: winners do drugs!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Eifert Posting posted:

My RT and Ulfar are vibing, shame it's hard to fit him into my party.

it's hilarious that they made the Space Marine companion kind of eh. like the whole franchise goes on and on about how they're the best and while Ulfar isn't bad per se he gets gapped by machine gun nun and sword grandpa

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I can add the Halo Device to my cargo to sell off in a mixed lot. This seems like a hilariously bad idea. I have to do it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

deep dish peat moss posted:

Just don't use Argenta if you want combat to be fun

I stopped using her because I don't like dogmatic crazy people like her. She liked it when i was nice to poor people but that was pretty much it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Someone asked about builds, and yeah most of them are going to be 5-50 min long videos with some dude talking over it constantly but if you want quick and to the point Slandered Gaming includes excel links for his builds.

Abelard Warrior & Vanguard Build
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI55qNXXUtc

Jae Officer & Grand Strategist Build
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9JIAg4J88U

Ulfar Soldier & Arch-Militant Build
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiFPBXOJbwM

Heinrix Warrior & Assassin Build
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMBfqR5jpvo

Pasqal Operative & Bounty Hunter Build
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g6mbQJlJYU

Cassia Navigator Build
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MArmk4Ucaw

Argenta Soldier & Arch-Militant Build
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_6K17x--54

It's more built for lore accuracy and to compete on Daring mode, so you might notice some choices that aren't optimal but stick with the character theme. He keeps his Argenta built with using standard bolters instead of heavy weapons.

https://www.neoseeker.com/warhammer-40000-rogue-trader/guides/Builds
The Neoseeker builds are posted as lists but seem to have recurring problems they keep fixing and designed solely to stack numbers as fast as possible for unfair with specific equipment. The guide for Abelard Warrior-Vanguard has him take Heavy/Power Armor proficiency at Vanguard level 7. No idea where the Power Armor is in the game for that to be a viable option. It also builds Idira with STR increases for her to take heavy armor, again no idea if there's some psyker or heretical heavy armor that she vastly benefits from.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
There is a heavy armor that is designed only for psykers, for some reason.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

This game has some good rear end Owlcat bugs.

I was fighting an encounter and suddenly Argenta got unlimited attacks for 0 AP so she was able to fire like twenty times until she ran out of AP to reload. Happened when she used the Arch-militant heroic. Then when she finally ended her turn, Pascal was next in turn order and for some reason had 21 AP lmao.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Schubalts posted:

Probably some plan to let people play any variety of psyker, from dodge sniper to vanguard tank with all flavors of powers.

Which makes the absence of 2h force weapons kind of odd, much less only 1 other force sword in the game besides Heinrix's starting equipment.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Eediot Jedi posted:

lol look at this baby who gave up at first stupidly overpowered build they found

find more

Why though? Whats the point in engaging with a system with the objective being to do as little of it as possible?

There's a massive gulf between optimizing your party so that you win fights decisively and winning combat for the entire game so hard you're done before round 1 really began. I'm not interested in finding technical flaws in games I can exploit to speed run them, and I'm not interested in speed running every single combat in this game.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

bolters kick rear end and I like the sound they make

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Schubalts posted:

Marine Librarians are pretty classic kind of psyker, people might want to emulate that

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Wow this 'echoes of rykad' world random event
A heavy cruiser and three light cruisers. And the heavy cruiser will get away if you give it a fraction of a chance. Pity my 'endless torpedoes' power is still on cooldown. I wonder if there are any trash fights left somewhere I can use to finish its cooldown?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I still haven't figured out what powers the ship ultimate cooldowns. half the time they have a full bar but are grayed out

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Pattonesque posted:

I still haven't figured out what powers the ship ultimate cooldowns. half the time they have a full bar but are grayed out

I turned on the toybox dialogue helper thing sometime in act 4, and it turns out yellow warps give a lot of events that cause a little to moderate cooldown on ship ultimates even though there's zero indication of that in the text. might be that.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Zodium posted:

I turned on the toybox dialogue helper thing sometime in act 4, and it turns out yellow warps give a lot of events that cause a little to moderate cooldown on ship ultimates even though there's zero indication of that in the text. might be that.

incredible

I toyboxed myself like 200 nav insight so I don't know that it's that but that's super funny

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Zodium posted:

As in get them ready or make them unready?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Ojetor posted:

This game has some good rear end Owlcat bugs.

I was fighting an encounter and suddenly Argenta got unlimited attacks for 0 AP so she was able to fire like twenty times until she ran out of AP to reload. Happened when she used the Arch-militant heroic. Then when she finally ended her turn, Pascal was next in turn order and for some reason had 21 AP lmao.

I had this exact same one the other night, except Abelard got to charge/murder every enemy on the map over the course of 3 real life minutes of clicking.

Anybody else had a different obnoxious bug where the heretic cruiser's ability to light you on fire never expires despite the tooltip saying it would? I had to toybox the hell out of both times I've encountered that ship.