Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I've been on TorGuard VPN for a few years now and it's been very good. Openable ports for torrenting and plex, and their customer support had always been quick when I've needed it. You can find a permanent 50% off code if you Google around. I was on PIA before that and it was rubbish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I just typed into Google "Face Synonym Noun" and the top curated (not sure if this is an accurate description) was the verb

Edit: this may or may not be on me but I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna face it anymore

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The proper synonym for face, the noun, is map as per David Foster Wallace

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Heath posted:

Webp stands for webpenis.

I knew it!

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023
Webp rear end png

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The Backrooms

Used to be just a persistent sense of existential dread of liminal spaces.
The uncanny valley of not faces but of rooms and corridors as you walked down them.

Now its 'OMG LOL LEVEL 12348 HAS HOSPITAL BEDS AND KIDS TOYS AND THE ENTITIES ON IT ARE THE SMILERS, SKINWALKERS, AND EWOKS.
TO GET THERE YOU CAN GO FROM LEVEL 324 OR FROM LEVEL 64252332'

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I was introduced to The Backrooms sort of recently and it felt like just another infinite-universes thing that all popular media seems to be trending around.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Kagi updated their Safari ios browser extension that lets you use it as your default search. i was looking forward to this because for some ridiculous reason the previous version would hijack searches you make from the home page of s a number of other search engines, like yandex or baidu -- you were completely unable to use these, and from the published extension code, this was explicitly coded to happen but also had no reason to happen.

well, they put out a new extension a couple of days ago, and it's rewritten to use some new API and is supposedly better

unfortunately it breaks several times a day so I'll do a search and i end up looking at results from Bing or Ecosia :thumbsup: i have to turn the extension on and off for it to work again. they didn't open source the code for this version either, unlike the previous version.

also they're writing a web browser called Orion and leaning in to LLM for their own chatbot. im not very optimistic about their future if this is how they're using my wallet dollars. if you have one of dozens of browser extensions that removes certain domains from Google search results, kagi isn't really better enough to bother. I usually have to go to Google a few times a day cause there are things it won't find. thinking of canceling this garbage but Google makes me mad for other reasons.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Tea has started to come in little plastic bags instead of paper and it's kinda blowing my loving mind.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

MrTargetPractice posted:

Tea has started to come in little plastic bags instead of paper and it's kinda blowing my loving mind.

What the gently caress

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Plastic is considered better for the ocean and marine life

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Kagi has shown some cracks. Orion touching LLMs, and using Brave search results is the kind of poo poo that reaks of current and more eventual enshittification.

They are still miles ahead of Google and Bing, but their whole selling point is 'we don't suck, i promise' and then they start doing lovely things...

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Biplane posted:

What the gently caress

The premium herbal teas in Turkey have been like this for like 10+ years

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

The premium herbal teas in Turkey have been like this for like 10+ years

What the gently caress

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is Google on the take from toll road operators or something? Whenever I use google maps now it will try to direct me to a faster route that it doesn't mention is a toll road so I can pay $5 to save 2 minutes. I have to pick up my phone while I'm driving and press a prompt on the screen to make it stay on the route I told it I wanted. I was driving about 600 miles on Friday and it kept telling me it had found a faster route and trying to redirect me onto a toll road that, when looking at the screen, it claimed was actually 30 minutes slower.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

A bunch of tea companies started using plastic like a decade ago but now they’ve all gone back

Like Tetley, Lipton, etc

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Is Google on the take from toll road operators or something? Whenever I use google maps now it will try to direct me to a faster route that it doesn't mention is a toll road so I can pay $5 to save 2 minutes. I have to pick up my phone while I'm driving and press a prompt on the screen to make it stay on the route I told it I wanted. I was driving about 600 miles on Friday and it kept telling me it had found a faster route and trying to redirect me onto a toll road that, when looking at the screen, it claimed was actually 30 minutes slower.

toll roads lol. crazy rear end poo poo. i cant believe that's a normal thing in most of the world

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Plastic wrapping for tea bags does a way better job of preventing the one box of mint tea from making all the other teas smell like mint tea

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

toll roads lol. crazy rear end poo poo. i cant believe that's a normal thing in most of the world

Yup, I dunno about "most of the world" but they're also crooked as hell in the my neck of the US. The local government builds the road with public money, then sells it to a toll operator for a fraction of the amount and uses the proceeds to open a creationist charter school or buy more black paint and Punisher decals for the SWAT team's Bradley fighting vehicles.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

The Moon Monster posted:

Holy poo poo this yes, I was on my way back from my parents' house for the holidays and Google kept trying to redirect me onto toll roads. Absolutely loving obnoxious.

Is there an alternative? I liked Waze until Google bought it, now it's just Maps reskinned.

E: here in Florida everyone has also fallen for the Express Lanes on the Interstate scam, too. That's a scam. The only thing installing Express Lanes does is financially incentivize never actually fixing the road or any viable alternatives, since they would decrease the money they make from the express lanes. Orlando is the second city I've lived in that's pulled this poo poo, it's baffling that people are this stupid.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 30, 2023

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Roku quietly removed the ability to stream stuff from their app to their tv-box, also I'm having to manually remove seasonal/promotional crap from their home menu on at least a weekly basis.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

The Moon Monster posted:

This started happening some time ago and it is maddening. Two things that could help: go into Maps settings, navigation settings, and select avoid tolls under route options. This should help with the tolls but does not disable the "convenient" automatic rerouting while you are going 70 down the interstate. For that, you need to add another stop to the trip. Genuinely the only way I have had a successful trip without rerouting is to add another stop before the destination. If you just go "I"m at point a and want to get to point b," you will inevitably get a reroute.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I haven't had many issues with google maps in Chicago during rush hours. I go down there for concerts all the time. Express lanes are always super-fast, too. Tho Chicago is one of the cities where driving is unusually fast if you're willing to embrace the FIB. If you expect people to let you in or stay on the roads, you're going to be miserable. You gotta get that silver spray paint out and go nuts and you'll love it.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Philthy posted:

... driving is ... miserable

My perennial complaint, fits the thread too since it's always getting shittier!

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

The Moon Monster posted:

There is an option to avoid tolls.

My beef with Google maps is when it directs me off the highway, through the intersection, and back onto the highway to save 2 minutes. What. The. gently caress.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Cerekk posted:

Plastic wrapping for tea bags does a way better job of preventing the one box of mint tea from making all the other teas smell like mint tea

That's okay. I'm talking about the actual tea bags are these giant plastic mesh triangles instead of a little paper bag. I've been a big tea drinker all my life and never uad an issue with the paper bahs.

My guess is that some fancier brands started using them to seem ~premium~ and other brands are following suit.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Yes, let me steep my tea in a premium polyester bag.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m not trying to be a smart rear end but you can buy a map and plan your route the old way. The map apps were always going to be co-opted. It’s a good skill.

The internet is shutting down as a useful tool. We are going to be going back to the “old” ways

Edit

Sorry for being preachy. I think I’m mostly trying to convince myself

euphronius fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 30, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

Yes, let me steep my tea in a premium polyester bag.

Earl Grey? Sorry, all I have is Microplastics.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Crazy that the golden age of the internet already happened.

Edit

In America I guess. I’m sure it’s probably better in China or wherever

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

euphronius posted:

I’m not trying to be a smart rear end but you can buy a map and plan your route the old way. The map apps were always going to be co-opted. It’s a good skill.

The internet is shutting down as a useful tool. We are going to be going back to the “old” ways

Edit

I've heard there are decent apps based on OpenStreetMaps (OSM). Never used them but some names are OsmApp, Organic Maps, OsmAnd, Magiclane --- anyone tried these?

Kagi news: the new ios extension is really terrible, even when it doesn't just take me to Bing it actually send the search to Bing and loads the results page for a few seconds before redirecting. idc if Microsoft knows what I'm searching but it's ridiculous for a service that advertises privacy orientation. gonna cancel this poo poo.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

happyhippy posted:

The Backrooms

Used to be just a persistent sense of existential dread of liminal spaces.
The uncanny valley of not faces but of rooms and corridors as you walked down them.

Now its 'OMG LOL LEVEL 12348 HAS HOSPITAL BEDS AND KIDS TOYS AND THE ENTITIES ON IT ARE THE SMILERS, SKINWALKERS, AND EWOKS.
TO GET THERE YOU CAN GO FROM LEVEL 324 OR FROM LEVEL 64252332'

Everything needs to have "lore" now. It's not sufficient to enjoy something without 3,000 wiki pages explaining the backstory or melvins picking apart every minute detail to find meaning.

I don't know if the proliferation of the internet has made this worse or if it has always been here and is just more noticeable because of the internet.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

bossy lady posted:

I don't know if the proliferation of the internet has made this worse or if it has always been here and is just more noticeable because of the internet.

It's this for sure. Fandoms have always been obsessive to the point of cringe, they've just moved from their caves and dank basements into the light of the internet.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

euphronius posted:

Edit

Nah I'm with you. Basic street nav skills are baseline.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

bossy lady posted:

Everything needs to have "lore" now. It's not sufficient to enjoy something without 3,000 wiki pages explaining the backstory or melvins picking apart every minute detail to find meaning.

lol please refer back to this comment when you question in the years to come "Have I turned into an old man?"

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

bossy lady posted:

It definitely predates widespread internet access. It definitely happened with Twin Peaks and early X-Files, and even real-world events like Kurt Cobain killing himself or Brandon Lee getting shot while filming The Crow had people inventing stories to find meaning where there was none.

The internet almost certainly made it worse, though, because now all these weirds started to congregate.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I absolutely hate fan fiction and theories with a passion. Complete garbage. Insane theories and so much wasted thought processes on creating your own idea and showing everyone else on the internet what your made up idea is.

Just ask the loving writer or whoever has ownership of it.

edit: I'm sure some fan fiction/theories are entertaining but they don't matter
edit2: EU stuff and poo poo that got greenlit I don't mind. I have a bunch of books. But I guess it's more complex depending on the media. Sorry.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 31, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I absolutely hate fan fiction and theories with a passion.

Just ask the loving writer or whoever has ownership of it.

I could not disagree more. The author creates the work, whatever it is, but once it is in the world and we are all reading it, watching it, listening to it, whatever, it becomes something different than her's. A work of art is part of the world, and is defined by how people respond/react with it. If you are saying the thing is art, then this is how it works, IMO!

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Of all the things that have happened as a result of the internet making it easier for weird people with fringe ideas to find each other, fan fiction is pretty low on the list of concerns imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
here's a funny/weird one -

I built a pretty awesome gaming machine in July - i7-13700F, RTX 4080, 64GB of RAM, etc. I parted it out and sold some of it tonight - I'm moving, I don't really use it like I thought I would, and I would much rather have the money.

I've reverted back to my absolutely ancient Surface Pro 4, and everything is fine. Ofc I can't play War Thunder anymore, and I'm at 1080p@60hz instead of 4k@144hz, but I can barely tell the difference. This machine literally cannot run past Windows 7 w/o some skulduggery I'm not doing, and there's zero compelling reason to upgrade. The windows stuff I do daily is just as fast/responsive as before.

this may just be a backhanded note about the enshittification of my vision as a middle aged goon

Well Played Mauer posted:

Of all the things that have happened as a result of the internet making it easier for weird people with fringe ideas to find each other, fan fiction is pretty low on the list of concerns imo

I believe its called shipping because it started with OG Star Trek fans writing fiction about Kirk and Spock hooking up