Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I’ve kind of wanted to mess around with ETS so maybe this is a good opportunity to start!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Yooper posted:

We have speed on our side and the ability to maneuver. The PLA will be slow and must maneuver by helo, so if we can knock one of those out it should make them think twice about engaging.

QUESTIONS

Where do we put the mortar?
Which Entry point? I'm thinking B as it's geographically closer, but a couple of armored trucks makes A viable for some truck violence.
How do we kill the ASAT?
What does critical targets look like?
Can we mission kill it electrically or by hitting infrastructure?

EDIT : Exit Criteria - PLA is stirred up and angry : We get out.

Chat here or Discord and we'll digest this until we get more intel.

After some discussion on Discord we have decided to drop the MISCHIEF part of the plan. So we have MAYHEM, likely from Point A, with our Mortar team providing fire support. Target priority will be big expensive stuff, launchers, loaders, radars.

Threat tolerance is still the same. If we come around the corner and see a platoon of armor, we'll probably GTFO, regroup, and determine the feasibility of the attack given current assets. Force preservation will be key.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I’ve kind of wanted to mess around with ETS so maybe this is a good opportunity to start!

That would be great! I’m happy to work with you on it either here on the forums, or via Discord. The first step is probably just getting it downloaded and installed. There’s some explanation videos available if you want them - the ones I’ve found are in Spanish but I’d be happy to assist with that if the auto-translation isn’t enough. I think that some of the DLC is needed, while others are more optional. This is probably the perfect time to get it sorted out since everything is on super sale for the holiday season.

https://youtu.be/yNIByt0gXB4?si=2y699007LZ-Hgqj_

Kaal fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 23, 2023

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
One hour and 10 minutes until Arma 3 mission starts with return to Angola.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

RECCE TEAM AAR

TL: Vaha
DM: Muhlump
Rifle: Lumme
Med: Rowen

We inserted in full combat gear this time, since there was no need for civilian dress or subterfuge. Last time we had been at the forefront and passed several patrols of enemies like that, but this time were very much combat equipped from the get go.

With initial orders to scout ahead, we proceeded to the NE ridges around the known site.

We left our truck around 0615 and continued on foot, which was a boon because as soon as we were on the ridgelines, it was clear the PLA had patrols all around, including motorcycle riders. We spotted several PLA patrols, and decided to pick between them to get eyes in the valley of the ASAT site. Around 0635 we spotted the VLS that we had spotted during our last visit to the area, but almost immediately engaged a Chinese fireteam.

We called some mortar fire to the VLS site (smaller red box) and few rounds ended up wiping a truck and a fireteam. We also watched the friendly MG team fire into the valley, but didn't see how effective it was.
After calling fire, Recce moved west on the ridgeline, and got ambushed roughly at 0645. It nearly got us, luckily we got rifle fire on them with some luck, and emerged victorious. It came close, however.

Bit before Point 4 on this map, we did some sniping (yellow lines) with Muhlump picking off various Chinese riflemen in the valley who were either shooting at teams near us, or the other friendlies elsewhere in the valley. After sniping, we started calling mortar fire (orange crosses) into the main compound, destroying a comm tower, enemy command vehicle, and one or two infantrymen. During mortar fire, Muhlump kept firing and picked off a few more troops.

We then witnessed the enemy Z-20 drop a whole squad into the compound, and quickly called for more fire. I took a few precious moments to get my bearing right, but drat right I managed to place a marker at the right place for the LZ and called for Mike team to fire. Five rounds landed near, and one of those directly into the lap of a 3-5 Chinese troops from the squad, destroying them.

Right then a friendly RG arrived, as well as the whole assault team, who began started a big firefight. I made a poor choice to take my team to the friendly assault team, as we soon discovered they were drawing a lot of fire. Opting not to stay there after some feedback from my team, such as "dumbass" and "told you so" and "gently caress em", we came back north on the ridge and took overwatch again. Not too long after, Commander calls for retreat and we initiated it on foot.

While our goal was to get back to our pickup truck, we proceeded carefully, as enemy choppers were overflying the area and we didn't want to walk into the lap of another infantry team. Eventually we made it back to our truck, but it had been destroyed. drat it, can't have poo poo here.

Deciding to extract on foot to the map edge, we observed a Z-20 eat a friendly SAM, but the forced landing dismounted a whole PLA squad who became a very big threat for us. We tried to communicate with the friendly RG and the driver on how to rejoin so that we don't have to walk, but the situation kept deteriorating for a while until we managed to board the truck, (Green box and line) We sped eastwards, leaving the Chongoroi province into our rearview mirror.

4 out of 4 extracted, Muhlump treated for minor injuries.

What was supposed to happen: Recon and provide eyes for mortar and command, find important sites
What happened: it happened! We did confirm the locations of sites we had seen weeks ago, directed accurate mortar fire, and relayed info to the commander of large troop movements. I felt we were in the right place at the right time almost all the time.
What could have gone better: I should have found a way to establish common ground with mortar team beforehand so that we are speaking the same language. I gave unclear and imprecise instructions initially, which led to several ranging shots.
What went well: My fireteam was top notch in keeping 360 security, finding patrols I didn't see, and staying together. Team integrity was strong and helped me relay info on the radio as I didn't worry about them.

Before stepping on mission, tuning radios:

Me and Lumme finding an enemy motorcycle patrol right next to us that Muhlump and Rowen were overwatching:

Getting picked up by Mederlock and his RG:

Escaping to the East

Gameplay wise feedback: TFAR works great with TS. The radios and local chat improve the game, make comms clearer, and help everyone stay on the same page.

Thank you Jerik, Zeph, and Elendil for a great mission.

Stay tuned.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 23, 2023

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

A local resident of Swagga, Angola who is paid by the PLA to source and deliver local supplies is also greedy enough to take a few bucks from us. He captured and sent back these images after the raid on the ASAT site.

We believe this first photograph shows soldiers we presumed KIA but are now known to be POW being moved into Swagga from their last known position at the ASAT site.

They are being held in a prison complex on the northwest corner of the Swagga airfield.

When our source made his delivery and got these images, a PLA officer was performing a mock execution. We fear time is running out for these men.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Two clips from my perspective in Alpha Group Red Team. We managed to blow up the missile silos and eventually egress without losing a single person! I didn't even get shot!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URtBXHtCfFI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv0wLH8cmOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Two clips from my perspective in Alpha Group Red Team. We managed to blow up the missile silos and eventually egress without losing a single person! I didn't even get shot!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URtBXHtCfFI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv0wLH8cmOU

Nice! Good footage!

A shame you're not capturing your own mic, though.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

If I was able to make the Nvidia recorder only record my PTT that would be great! I don't want to edit all of my sniffling out lol

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Let's get back to it. It is March 01, 2010.

You may choose your next few days to initiate operations.
The PLA has advanced some in the past few days, and the BLUFOR armies have steadily retreated in good order.

Fall is getting closer by the day, and weather will also keep getting colder. That means the autumn gales are inbound.

General Carlos, first step is to choose your intended operation, and decide the next AO and tasks.

Let's get to it.

Admiral Sampaio, the Ecuadorian fleet is closer, as are the naval auxiliaries with them. They're transporting the Chaparrals from the North.
Past few days, you've had far less hints of PLAN submarines than usual. However, enemy activity over Puerto Williams and the south with Anti-Submarine planes and choppers is remarkably high.

General Humberto,
Your armies are in good order, even if they are losing ground. You have Chaparral deliveries inbound, and as long as you get air charter, you'll get NASAMS from the capital.

This game is played the coming saturday, 30th of this month, usual goon mission time.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 25, 2023

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Lurker here checking in who anxiously checks the thread daily to read about the course of the war and enjoys every and all commentary.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Yeah, happy Christmas to all the brave defenders of South America and thanks for sharing your exploits!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
That's dope! Merry Christmas to you all! Finally we can return to the DCS portion of this campaign too so we'll get some good posting going on in a second. Thanks for watching!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hell yah! Merry Christmas to all of you.

Santa brought me this for next weekends mission.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Merry Christmas to all! I hope you’re having a great day with friends and/or family.

My little gift to this thread has nothing to do with DCS or South America, but it’s a wonderful story by John Henry Faulk that I enjoy listening to every year. It’s classic and sentimental, and may be quite familiar to some of you. I encourage everyone to take the time to listen to some of it, if they get a chance.

quote:

The day after Christmas a number of years ago, I was driving down a country road in Texas. And it was a bitter cold, cold morning. And walking ahead of me on the gravel road was a little bare-footed boy with non-descript ragged overalls and a makeshift sleeved sweater tied around his little ears. I stopped and picked him up. Looked like he was about 12 years old and his little feet were blue with the cold. He was carrying an orange…

https://www.npr.org/2005/12/09/5028755/john-henry-faulks-christmas-story

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Well, lurkers, if you like footage right from the front lines here's my helmet recorder from last air mission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5OmjpHhA7s

I did a lot of flailing around, but I did bag a SAM.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Mike Team Report

Mike Lead: BurntCornMuffin
Mortar Gunner: Davin Valkri
Mortar Asst: Breaky

Prior to the mission I briefed my team on procedure and established a workflow between the three of us:
  1. I played receptionist, being the guy with the bigass radio.
  2. On getting a call, I hand off the coordinates to Davin for number crunching; As Davin had been practicing not only quickly resolving firing solutions in the leadup to this mission, but also perfected shouting "Death by Trigonometry!" as a war cry while we were all trying to sleep in the barracks, I felt he was best suited for the role.
  3. Breaky was our triggerman - Once Davin had a firing solution, he told Breaky where to aim, and me how long the rounds would take to get there so I could pass it off to friendlies. Once it was done, Breaky was the one shooting.
  4. Once we got a barrage off, we would pack up everything and scoot before a counterattack could be laid against us. We were especially concerned about the possibility of counterbattery radars. Breaky served as our driver during scoots and did a very good job of keeping us mobile.

We started our insertion by following the other teams at a distance, until we broke off road in order to evade possible roadblocks and set up our first position about 1.5km from the target site. RECCE's first radio call was a little rough because I didn't have time to rehearse comms with their lead, but we worked it out pretty quick. Eventually, we were able to deliver remarkably accurate fires. We were also very diligent about scooting from one hill to the next between fires, which kept us alive and able to assist (albeit not always timely). I was never briefed on the full effect of our fire, but we were informed that we took out a couple of vehicles and at least one squad. What fires didn't hit the target, had a suppressing effect on enemy forces. While the PLA did not employ a counter battery radar, we were informed that two QRF helos tried to drop troops on sites we had long vacated, wasting time that could have been better spent elsewhere.

What went well:
  • No losses
  • Extremely accurate fires were delivered, both thanks to RECCE's talking us onto target but also thanks to the team working together to navigate and math accurately, which produced pretty drat accurate firing solutions for lacking any kind of computer to do the job, and lacking any sort of gps: we did all this poo poo by hand and kicked rear end at it. (We managed a dead-on hit on our first try during one of the firing missions, which is legitimately impressive).
  • We were very mobile and committing to moving after every fire mission. This worked well for keeping us out of trouble, as while no counterbattery fire ever happened, I did learn later on that our prior firing positions were being raided long after we vacated them.

What went poorly:
  • We did get shot at by a helicopter. While the damage to the truck was superficial, it did render us a bit paranoid for the next few firing positions, as I had mistaken it for small arms fire and thought a squad was actively chasing us.
  • We were not always available when a fire mission was requested as a side effect of our commitment to move after each salvo. This also meant we could not prosecute a reattack as we didn't wait for our shots to even land before packing it up. This helped keep us alive, however, so it was a bit of a tradeoff.
  • We could have positioned closer. As positioned, our shots were taking an average of 35 seconds to reach targets, which was not quite timely enough in situations when the target was already in contact with machine gunners. Alternatively, some fire deconfliction decisions could have been made at the command level, as I am of the understanding that a lot of the time we attacked the same targets that machine gunners did, and their rounds tended to hit first.

Lessons learned:
  • A standardized comms plan for artillery requests and also for artillery teams is a must. While ours wasn't standardized, I did walk everyone through their job and got some test fires out in the warmups, and everyone knew what their responsibilities were. This helped produce accurate fire, as well as quick getaways after we fired.
  • Mortars are a better weapon to employ prior to a ground assault, rather than as a reaction to one.
  • Map markers are useful for communicating desired targets, but you need to pick one with an actual center so we can place a shot accurately. Luckily, outside of one incident, RECCE was generally careful to use map markers that fit the description.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

This coming week's weather.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

ALPHA TEAM / Overall

We deployed, loaded up into up-armored vehicles and made our way west. Vaha's team proceeded forward while we traversed towards a ridge line. The terrain was decent our drivers had no issue making it to the ridgeline. We had hoped to recon a bit more but were engaged by an automatic grenade launcher. A few of us exited the vehicle and took cover where I was wounded by shrapnel but patched up. A PLA fireteam was like 50 meters in front us and was neutralized. Mederlock's team began engaging PLA at the silo's with the M2 and made great work for us to insert.

The next phase of the operation began and we assaulted the silo site. Sneep placed explosives as we repelled a PLA squad coming in from the west. Our MRAP, suffering unfortunate wheel loss, was replaced by a PLA Humvee knock-off. Following the guidelines to GTFO, we exited to the hill line. Intel came in about POW's but the hornets were too stirred up so I called RTB and all teams exited. There was some confusion with the recce team as they had truck issues but they were eventually picked up.

What was OK

1. Terms of mission profile worked well. I don't think anyone took undue risks and we still had mission success.
2. The mortar was killer to have on our side.
3. Up-armored vehicles gave us some cushion to an engagement.
4. New radio system is :kiss:

What kind of sucked

1. Our exfil was sloppy. I should have rallied all teams before heading to the camp.
2. We forgot to load up on MANPAD's when we disembarked our busted rear end MRAP.
3. We should have had the recon team recon the ridge before we roll up with big honkin' MRAP's.

I enjoyed the pacing and I think everyone was on the ball about getting into the loving truck when it was time to go. The mission felt more like a daring raid than a rigid offensive.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Lurkers: merry Christmas and Happy 2024. Are you bored during the holidays? Come join us in the campaign. DCS, Arma, MSFS, Truck sim - or just plain roleplaying, there is a place for you. We're all thrilled to find out how this story ends, and you can be part of it!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Admiral Ileana Maria Sampaio
South American Combined Armada

Recon Flight - Air Tasking Order (01 MAR 10)

Aircraft: RC-12 Guardrail (Super King Air)
Distance: 950 km / 515 nmi
Origin: El Calafate (SAWC)
Destination: Santa Cruz (SAWU)

Brief: An available pilot is urgently needed to conduct a non-combat reconnaissance / signals-intercept flight

Details: The Punta Arenas campaign theater has continued to evolve over recent weeks, while the Tierra del Fuego battlefield has remained mysteriously quiet, and our battlefield awareness has gradually decayed as various units have fought and maneuvered. It has been some time since a detailed recon flight has been conducted, particularly in the western sections, and it is becoming difficult to conduct planning with the outdated information. Importantly, the recent period of PLA electronic warfare dominance has allowed significant intel deterioration. Fortunately, SCAD cybersecurity have been successful in developing some defenses that will allow our aviators to resume operations. Now is the time to resume our recon flights. A complete review of our AO BOLT and AO ARROW fronts is required. Our SIGINT assets have been moved back from the frontlines, but transiting between two different airports will reduce the mission duration. A flight plan has been developed that will provide us with much needed information along our frontlines, avoid close-range contact with enemy forces, and temporarily shift the aircraft to the much less-crowded Santa Cruz airport.

Information will be need to be recorded throughout the recon flight, with particular attention devoted to the following sites:

1. The Otway Sound - PLAN transports and escorts were previously sighted and attacked, but their current disposition remains unknown
2. AO Bolt - Multiple PLA brigades are known to be advancing in the AO, and targeting information is needed
3. Occupied Punta Arenas - Maritime logistics guarded by various forms of anti-air are known to be servicing this port
4. AO Arrow - This AO has been suspiciously quiet since Argentine Army units retreated, and any attempt at crossing the Magellan must be countered immediately
5. Coastal Tierra del Fuego - The 1st PLAN fleet is patrolling this region and threatening Rio Gallegos and the Argentine naval fleet.

Warning: Do Not Deviate South From the Planned Route. Pay attention to the guard channel and be prepared to divert north in case of enemy air combat patrols.

MSFS .pln file: https://discord.com/channels/215327041439006722/1166139039838109726/1189415900810592346

«Irse a pique antes que rendir el pabellón!«

Kaal fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 27, 2023

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

My Older, and not as good looking brother, asked me to step in and do some flight tasking for this weeks mission.

OVERALL TASK : Degrade supply situation of PLA forces.
SECONDARY TASK : Destroy high value static assets such as artillery.

MEDIUM MEDIUM MEDIUM MEDIUM MEDIUM

Note the "Withdraw to preserve forces." If we get hit by a wall of J-11's we will withdraw. If your flight encounters stiff BUK resistance, RTB. If you find yourself out of friendly CAP. RTB.

PONTIAC

M2K - Provide EAST cap from RIO GALLEGOS. Watch out for potential J-11's.

VENOM

Venom 1 & 2 will launch from Puerto Natales with a goal of providing SEAD for FORD at Point 1. After SEAD Launch will both provide CAP (#3) for the western side as well as spot for MLRS team (#2) / PANTHER.

UZI

Depart Rio Gallegos and head south. Strike fixed high value assets or supply nodes.

CHEVY

Depart Rio Gallegos and head south. Strike supply nodes near last know positions.

In the event you have spare ordnance there is a BDE level support site that could use a hit. It is known to have an HQ-7(s?) near it.

Panther

Panther will depart after VENOM and strike support locations. These appeared decently well on ground radar during the last mission. Flight/El leads will hunt using radar, identify using TGP, and JDAM (if available) or LGB sites. If you use JDAM remember to share, and then call out the last 3 digits with your wingmate so they know who shared what.

JDAM PROCEDURE IDEA - Any "Hunter" can call the target. Any "Striker" can claim it.
Hunter calls the target "Found supply depot, sharing it now, last digit is 456."
Striker calls acceptance : "456, Panther 1-2 has the target!"

Ford

Ford will strike shipping near where the Type 054 was sunk. Venom will suppress BUK's prior to your arrival.

Tasking Order

VENOM - PONTIAC (Call At Altitude)
FORD - PANTHER (Ford call Ingress)
Venom SEAD's
UZI - CHEVY Strikes

Flight leads, have hold points prebriefed in your mission so ABM can put you in a safe hold.

If we have additional flights that pop up let me know and we'll add them to the tasking. Flight Leads please comment on tasking and give me your feedback.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

PANTHER 1

Intent : Strike any supply bases or logistical assets in the target AO.

Threat Assessment : Likely interception by hostile CAP. Potential for capable J-11's. Fall back north of COLO and/or RTB if friendly CAP cannot hold. HQ-7 IR SAM systems likely active, keep high altitude and keep head on swivel. Call launches as you see them. Do not stray south of the PURPLE line. Panther 1 will try to strike assets on the EAST side and leave Panther 2 to strike on the WEST side.

LOADOUT : GBU-31 - Center Tank

Mission Profile - Take off from Puerto Natales, get to altitude and orbit COLO until clear CAP window is called. ID potential sites using radar and qualify with TPOD. Flight Lead drops first and then plays escort / hunts more targets. Non TPOD carrying aircraft can use ground radar to help identify sites as well. In the event that flight lead is down, Wing may identify a target with radar and engage it as long as it is not along the Eastern Flank.

Note, there is a bug with the Viper datalink. This should be a workaround (thanks Sauer!).

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Naval Tasking Orders (03 Mar 10)

Ladies and gentlemen, the war continues. Our cyberwarfare specialists assure us that we have developed ECW capabilities that will allow our pilots to retake the skies. Only time will tell, but I am optimistic that this will allow us to regain the initiative.

With that in mind, the following orders are issued as part of Operation Rudolfo:

AO Arrow:

The Argentine and Brazilian naval fleets are to continue their previous taskings. There may have been some delays in carrying these orders out, but we cannot afford waiting any longer. The Argentine fleet is to return to port and repair damaged ships, while the Brazilian fleet is set to sail out to sea. The Minas Gerais and her escorts must maintain the threat against Islas Malvinas and prevent the PLAN from freely maneuvering or reinforcing their naval groups. All sailors and aviators are to maintain a state of combat readiness, along with standing alert fighters and contact with P3 Orion aerial maritime reconnaissance.

The ARA San Juan and her commander Cpt. "Alchenar" are ordered to sail south, cautiously probing for the 1st PLAN fleet. This fleet has consistently managed to elude aerial sweeps, while still delivering cruise missile attacks against the Argentine fleet. It's time to make contact. Perform a stealthy reconnaissance and ascertain the location and composition of this fleet. Attacking the ships is of a secondary importance - the admiralty wants to find their weak points and exploit them. Be aware of the following intel: 1st PLAN fleet includes at least two Type 052 Destroyers, some four frigates of unknown type, and likely the Hangzhou, a Sovremenny-class destroyer of USSR-origin. The fleet is screened by Type 037 Corvettes or their equivalent Tarantul-style ships captured from Middle East and Africa. This SAG escorts and screens for a fairly significant military sealift consisting of bulk freighters, oil tankers, landing ships, and container ships, most of civilian origin, but some PLAN Auxiliary ships that are extremely similar to the Canadian MV Asterix and its like. Most of these ships are incapable of defending themselves, minus perhaps a few rifles on board and the possibility of a MANPADS (Man portable air defence system, think of iglas and stingers, shoulder launched missiles with short range).

AO Dart:

The CNS Carrera and CNS O'Higgins wolfpack under the command of Cpt. "Pyg" has been quite successful of late, and has stirred up the hornet's nest. They are ordered to now head northwest into deeper waters, as well as into range of friendly maritime surveillance and ASW helicopter coverage. If any PLAN submarines or ASW ships deign to follow, we'll be ready. If not, then we'll be prepared to reposition and resume the offensive.

AO Bolt:

The previous naval air strike from the ARA Veinticinco de Mayo suffered badly during the previous operation, but the naval aviators have now recovered and are prepared to take another crack at the mission - now with ECW jamming equipment onboard. The general aims of this week's strike are the same as before - attack a littoral group that is within the Otway Sound. This week Ford will have the assistance of Venom flight's highly-capable F-16s to support their attack with SEAD and CAP. Much as before, Venom will fly to the strike area, assess the situation, deliver HARMs against the targets of choice, and allow Ford to culminate the air strike. However, some of the parameters have changed:

1. The Type 054a frigate acting as flagship for the Surface Action Group was previously reported destroyed by Gary flight's C-101 Aviojets. However, that destruction remains unconfirmed. If the ship is still afloat, it will be a dangerous threat to all aircraft within its ample range.

2. The presence of the amphibious transports and Tarantul / Grisha corvettes remains unconfirmed. If the Type 054a was in fact sunk, then those ships will be vulnerable targets - but they may be departing the area or have already departed. Keep an eye out for these ships during ingress. Communication with Venom and the air battle managers will be key.

3. The 6th BDE, responsible for attacking Ford during its previous mission, has now moved 20 km north of its previous position, joining the other PLA brigades on the frontline of AO Bolt. Nestled between other forces, they likely would be very difficult to assault directly, even if its ADA battalion is suppressed.

4. The 4th BDE was previously damaged by successive aerial attacks. Nonetheless, it continues to maneuver north as part of the offensive. It may be a good secondary target if the littoral SAG cannot be located and attacked.

5. Panther flight will be conducting high altitude attacks against the 4th and 6th BDEs, and in particular are targeting their logistical battalions. Be aware of air conflict issues. Also, the significant number of allied aircraft operating in the area may attract enemy fighter jets. Venom will be responsible for CAP in the area, along with their SEAD duties and performing forward air control for friendly MLRS artillery.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 29, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Rough cut of Uzi Plan.

We are hunting Artillery and/or Logistical Support Units in AO Arrow, in an attempt to prevent the enemy from becoming comfortable and dug in enough to threaten our ground lines of communications with artillery fire from across the Strait of Magellan or to risk any kind of crossing. It's a short hop, so taking 1x small bag plus 4x pods of Hydras to let us burn in quickly, rockets out, get home fast rather than efficient. If we're fast, we may be able to very reasonably do two turns in one mission cycle. If we very clearly identify and mark up a target and hydras aren't cutting it, always the option to return with mk 83/84 bombs, but those are trickier to bring when we're still trying to locate the enemy compared to versatility of rocket employment.

Don't panic and shoot at Chevy flight, who will also be down in the Cerro Sombreo area. I would expect minimum HQ-7s, maybe Strelas and MANPADS, likely unguided MG/AAA in the area as well.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Ford Mission
TASMO

Welcome back Ford. Our mission this week is relatively simple; continue the attack on the PLAN fleet we struck last sortie and/or attack targets of opportunity should the fleet no longer be present. Intel is not certain if the PLAN frigate guarding the fleet has been sunk so keep an eye out for that; we will strike it first if necessary. It is also possible that corvettes remain but they are less important than the frigate and transports. If the entire fleet has weighed anchor and departed our ABM will assign new tasking. The land based air defenses that gave us so much trouble last sortie have presumably moved north and should no longer be a factor but let's not assume they haven't left a trap for us. Venom will be providing SEAD over the AO during our operation and will let us know when they are confident that no SA-11s are laying in wait for us and shoot at any surprises that pop up.

Ingress Plan

Attack Plan

Loadout
  • 6 × Zuni Rockets, 300Gal Centerline Tank
  • 30 Chaff / 30 Flares

Comms
  • Own: 131.5Mhz, 10X/73X
  • Buzzard: 262.00Mhz
  • Mother: CV ARA Veinticinco de Mayo, TACAN 25X (VCM), 225.00Mhz, ILS 1
  • Divert Airfield: San Julian, 250.05Mhz
  • Tanker: Arco, 5000 ft, 240.00 MHz, TACAN 12X

Steerpoints
code:
    1: RDV,   	S 53° 02'  W 72° 51', 5000' @ 250kts
    2: FIX,  	S 52° 44'  W 72° 26', 8000' @ 300kts
    3: IP,	S 52° 52'  W 71° 44', 8000' @ 300kts
    4: SAG,	S 53° 00'  W 71° 18',  100' @ 400kts
    5: LAND,	S 53° 07'  W 73° 00', 5000' @ 300kts
    6: DIVERT,  S 49° 18'  W 67° 48', 1000' @ 250kts
Flight Plan
  • Launch and orbit at point RDV until the flight is assembled.
  • Fly to the IP and orbit until clearance from VENOM that the AO is secure.
  • Attack the enemy fleet. Frigate is priority, followed by cargo vessels. Be prepared for retasking.
  • Return home.

Notes
  • We still have a 20km run over open water so make sure your ECM systems are in good working order and you know where the chaff button is.

Trouble Brewing
Sep 2, 2003
Mischief on the horizon
Operation RAT PATROL - The Long Afternoon War Campaign

Couple clips from the perspective of a humble and clearly inexperienced RG-31 gunner in Alpha Group Red Team. Couldn't find 12 o'clock

https://youtu.be/tcRSnOLkL9I

https://youtu.be/tKBVS5WVL9w

https://youtu.be/AdA04iyxJ-E

https://youtu.be/Q1O9j2awQK8

CoreySmash

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Kaal posted:

Recon Flight - Air Tasking Order (01 MAR 10)

Aircraft: RC-12 Guardrail (Super King Air)
Distance: 950 km / 515 nmi
Origin: El Calafate (SAWC)
Destination: Santa Cruz (SAWU)

Brief: An available pilot is urgently needed to conduct a non-combat reconnaissance / signals-intercept flight

First Lieutenant Ronaldo Humberto

Che boluda, you might have heard that I've been demoted from the prestigious rank of 1st Lieutenant to just Lieutenant. Yeah, yeah, it's all hush-hush, but between us, my nightly exploits in Rio Gallago’s hottest clubs with the chicas was causing more buzz than my aerial stunts. The higher-ups didn't appreciate the bad PR, and just like that I went from flying high to cruising in a bit lower on the military totem pole. What can I say? I'm a man of the people, and the people love a good party. I was sent far from my newfound promised land in Rio Gallagos, to the El Calafate airport where we’ve had to move our RC-12’s due to crowding at SAWG. The orders came across the Major’s desk, and with a sigh she assigned the mission to me. Weather being clear, some moderate winds, and a departure time set for 10:00, I did a once-over of the plane and we departed SAWC.

Picture this: Lieutenant Ronaldo Humberto at the helm of the RC-12 Guardrail, and we hit a bit of turbulence right after takeoff; no biggie. I've danced salsa in stilettos to songs more challenging than that. After wrestling with another autopilot glitch that nearly put us into a ridge-face, we climbed to 12kft and followed the flight plan closely.

But then, a minor glitch in the electronics had the ELINT officers in the back sweating more than a politician in a truth serum factory. Those guys are a different breed, always glued to their screens like it's the latest telenovela, chasing PLA signals like my abuela chasing me with a chancla – frantic but determined. I'm not sure what they found, but it sure kept them on their toes. Being the ace pilot that I am, I cracked a joke over the intercom, telling those geeks to relax because I was about to perform some "military-grade salsa moves" to fix the issue. Crisis averted, and I even got a couple of laughs from the tech nerds. Who knew they had a sense of humor? Trust me, there's nothing like a well-executed barrel roll to liven up a surveillance mission.

As we cruised towards our destination, fate had other plans. Fuel gauge flirting with "empty," I had to make an executive decision—divert to Rio Gallagos airport for a pit stop, or continue on for another 90 nm with under 15% left in the tank. With the swagger of a man who's used to navigating tight spots, I made the bold decision to divert to SAWG for a quick refuel. Can you imagine the scene? Fighter jets buzzing around the civilian airport, the bewildered ground crew trying to keep up with the speedster pilot who they weren’t expecting– it was like a scene out of a blockbuster (slapstick) action movie. And yes, you bet we made a grand entrance, circling the airport pattern a few times like a vulture eyeing its prey before gracefully touching down. The air traffic controller was in for a surprise when he realized the General's prodigal son was making an impromptu landing. Nothing says "classy" like refueling at your favourite watering hole right after you were just thrown out the front door!

We took off again and resumed our course to SAWU with little to report. After some wind gusts and difficulty finding the airport visually, we did a few orbits before coming in for the touchdown. Puta, these civvies parked like assholes. Didn’t they get the memo that we were going to be using this airport for the war effort? Anyways, my life is a rollercoaster of danger, laughs, and the occasional demotion. From soaring through the heavens to salsa dancing in the clouds, this gaucho is here to entertain, one misadventure at a time.

Here's the data from the flight recorder:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

quote:

EK - The Army has been desperate to get more of the American equipment into the fight. The ground forces are outnumbered three to one, the PLA are threatening to open a second front, and our highway trucking recruitment efforts haven't had time to bear fruit. Take a look at this charter concept that we've worked up. Even if we could get one full load of anti-tank equipment delivered to our troops, it could be enough to keep us in the fight. If you agree that this seems feasible, I think we should send this on to Gen. Carlos and the rest of CSAD. It could be the logistical solution we've been looking for. -S

Antonov An-124 Air Freight Charter Proposal

Even as this war first began to heat up, CSAD realized that the logistics needs for the conflict would be significant. Fortunately high command immediately tasked a number of analysts from Air Mobility Command to come up with hypothetical options for us in case they were needed. And now, they are certainly needed. The United States has delivered vast stocks of combat supplies to secure depots in Brazil (such as Canoas Air Force Base SBCO), where they've been essentially stranded ever since. It's a huge amount of tonnage, and will ultimately need to be shipped by land or sea, but we think that prioritizing the most essential anti-tank supplies for delivery by air cargo will provide the immediate benefit that is needed. Fortunately, Air Mobility Command has already evaluated our airports for precisely this sort of large aircraft charter operation:

Air Mobility Officer Bentai posted:

7500' runways would provide some interesting logistical options for player-flown charter flights with bigger aircraft (if they come into play):

Green (top circle) is "General Enrique Mosconi International Airport" (SAVC), which could also be a good place to offload supplies for allied ships in the Atlantic.

Yellow/orange (left most circle) is El Calafate (SAWC), closer to the fight, but still fairly safe considering the distance. A long convoy run though, juicy targets for the PLAAF and PLAN. [SAMPAIO - This 2,649m / 8,688 ft runway might work for a 747, but an AN-124 needs a full 2,800m / 9,184 ft to land or take off. SAWC likely isn't an option here]

Red (bottom circle) is Norberto Fernández International Airport (SAWG), which I suppose would run the DCS risk of fighter/navy ship interdiction and maybe SAM attack, but being only 60 miles/95km from Tierra Del Fuego, it would mean getting troops and materiel right to the fight.

All highly theoretical of course. Who would be crazy enough to fly supplies into any part of this war zone? Think of the aviation insurance premiums!

As we can see, at least two airports are available for wide-body aircraft operations. However, there are really only a handful of aircraft capable of undertaking this sort of freight operation. NATO flies a number of C-5 Galaxies and C-17 Globemasters, but they are generally tied up with the existing military commitments in other military theaters. Boeing 747s and Airbus A300s are potential solutions as well, though the number of airlines willing to operate near a war zone are very limited. However, the Antonov Airlines An-124 represents a unique opportunity for us. The aircraft are highly capable cargo carriers developed for the Soviet military, but they are also operated by civilian airlines in Russia and Ukraine. They can be chartered directly, and operate in Chile and Argentina with their local commercial partner Hunt & Palmer Cargo Charters (https://trends.aeroexpo.online/project-72068.html) often performing work for the oil and gas sector (https://www.aeroflap.com.br/en/antonov-shows-details-of-the-an-124-that-passed-through-viracopos-and-took-off-for-argentina/). This option may be expensive, but offers an immediate solution for what has become an intractable problem for CSAD.

Alternatively, NATO has previously recognized the value of addressing this sort of logistical issue and developed a specific solution for it known as the Strategic Airlift Interim Solution (SALIS) program (https://www.globalsecurity.org/mili...ys%27%20notice.). They have contracted with Ukraine's Antonov Airlines and Russia's Volga-Dnepr Airlines for guaranteed access to An-124 aircraft within several days notice. NATO countries have previously used this program to support national military and civilian projects, as well as non-governmental organizations such as the International Red Cross air relief program in Panama earlier this year (https://www.flickr.com/photos/britishredcross/4303598222). With the support of a NATO partner, CSAD would be able to gain access to these aircraft and receive the equipment that we so desperately need.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 30, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kaal posted:

Antonov An-124 Air Freight Charter Proposal

Even as this war first began to heat up, CSAD realized that the logistics needs for the conflict would be significant. Fortunately high command immediately tasked a number of analysts from Air Mobility Command to come up with hypothetical options for us in case they were needed. And now, they are certainly needed. The United States has delivered vast stocks of combat supplies to secure depots in Brazil (such as Canoas Air Force Base SBCO), where they've been essentially stranded ever since. It's a huge amount of tonnage, and will ultimately need to be shipped by land or sea, but we think that prioritizing the most essential anti-tank supplies for delivery by air cargo will provide the immediate benefit that is needed. Fortunately, Air Mobility Command has already evaluated our airports for precisely this sort of large aircraft charter operation:

As we can see, at least two airports are available for wide-body aircraft operations. However, there are really only a handful of aircraft capable of undertaking this sort of freight operation. NATO flies a number of C-5 Galaxies and C-17 Globemasters, but they are generally tied up with the existing military commitments in other military theaters. Boeing 747s and Airbus A300s are potential solutions as well, though the number of airlines willing to operate near a war zone are very limited. However, the Antonov Airlines An-124 represents a unique opportunity for us. The aircraft are highly capable cargo carriers developed for the Soviet military, but they are also operated by civilian airlines in Russia and Ukraine. They can be chartered directly, and operate in Chile and Argentina with their local commercial partner Hunt & Palmer Cargo Charters (https://trends.aeroexpo.online/project-72068.html) often performing work for the oil and gas sector (https://www.aeroflap.com.br/en/antonov-shows-details-of-the-an-124-that-passed-through-viracopos-and-took-off-for-argentina/). This option may be expensive, but offers an immediate solution for what has become an intractable problem for CSAD.

Alternatively, NATO has previously recognized the value of addressing this sort of logistical issue and developed a specific solution for it known as the Strategic Airlift Interim Solution (SALIS) program (https://www.globalsecurity.org/mili...ys%27%20notice.). They have contracted with Ukraine's Antonov Airlines and Russia's Volga-Dnepr Airlines for guaranteed access to An-124 aircraft within several days notice. NATO countries have previously used this program to support national military and civilian projects, as well as non-governmental organizations such as the International Red Cross air relief program in Panama earlier this year (https://www.flickr.com/photos/britishredcross/4303598222). With the support of a NATO partner, CSAD would be able to gain access to these aircraft and receive the equipment that we so desperately need.

There have been a number of civilian operators of the AN-124's as well outside of Eastern Europe, such as Maximus Air. https://www.maximus-air.com/fleet/antonov-124-100

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

General of the Combined Armies, CSAD

Orders for the Armies

Going to keep this one short and sweet. I've been busy dealing with media people the last few days because of my fuckup of a son instead of spending time working on our orders for the Army. See the changes attached, the map has already been adjusted:

The EC BG is going to shuffle some units to their Eastern grouping to deal with the PLA armor coming in hot from the south. The EA IX BDE is going to flow Northwards as they slowly withdraw under fire, and the EA I BDE is going to hold the line
firm at the highway where they're posted. The Astros is going to once again advance before the 3rd, under the cover of night, and prepare for another fire mission. The EA XI BDE will fall back to the North side of the TDF<-> Mainland crossing and ensure the PLA don't get any funny ideas about crossing it.

NASAMS Amalgamation - Complete

The two NASAMS batteries have been seriously degraded during the last several operations. The remains of the two battery were ordered to amalgamate last mission, and should be combat effective for this mission. I'm tasking the two Avengers to pull back to Rio Gallagos to help protect our NASAMS battery and the SAWG airport

Fire Mission

The Astros battery is going to coordinate with Air Force F-16's who will be acting as Aerial Forward Observers for the battery. They are to be on their radio net and ensure that their fires are deconflicted with the air force taskings in this area. The focus will be hammering their CSS, SPT, and HQ groups of the PLA 5th and 3rd BDE's, just off HWY 255

Seamos libres, que lo demás no importa nada!

General Humberto, EA

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mederlock posted:

There have been a number of civilian operators of the AN-124's as well outside of Eastern Europe, such as Maximus Air. https://www.maximus-air.com/fleet/antonov-124-100

When a Maximus Air Antonov show up, you’re often getting Russian air crew (former Russian Air Force personnel), maybe Ukrainian crew and mechanics, bill of lading manager may be American or British. Not sure how that all works in this universe where Russia and Ukraine are aligned in a world war against NATO and CSAD.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

mlmp08 posted:

When a Maximus Air Antonov show up, you’re often getting Russian air crew (former Russian Air Force personnel), maybe Ukrainian crew and mechanics, bill of lading manager may be American or British. Not sure how that all works in this universe where Russia and Ukraine are aligned in a world war against NATO and CSAD.

I'm sure, much like the conflict going on today, that the Ukrainian people who managed to flee their country before the total invasion by Russia or who were already expats before the conflict would have very strong opinions against the C-R PAF and would be happy to fly missions that would support nations against the invaders of their homelands. And like today, given how unexpected the conflict was to everyone except the small inner circles of the military that initiated it, there would likely be a number of these aircraft stranded around the world, seized as part of sanctions. And really, there's plenty of people who'd be willing to do work their home country's would frown upon, if the pay was good enough. Just shrug their shoulders "eh, who was I to know what was stored in those covered pallets and crates? I just fly the plane and take my paycheque"

It could go either way, for sure, depending on GM fiat. I just don't think either outcome would break verisimilitude is what I'm getting at

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Overall Mission AAR

All flights managed to inflict damage on targets in the AO. Ford flight did great work sinking three of the cargo ships. Uzi punched above it's weight as well and did some fantastic rocket runs, same with Chevy. Venom suffered some difficulties, but I think it just highlights task briefings and the importance of a solid mission profile. Next time I do this I'll be sure to be clear on deployed assets. Panther hit targets and preserved air frames, so I will call that a success. I'd think that given where the TacView showed the hits, that most of those trucks would be in the "hosed" category, even if they weren't annihilated. The Mirages, those sexy beasts, also did great.

What I'd do Different Next Time
Define boundaries for AO to prevent anyone from straying into the danger zone.
Brief flights on threat profiles including a reminder to refresh RWR profiles and HARM settings.
Provide contingencies for flight lead death, even if it's just RTB.

My DCS Experience
I loaded in to a highly pixelated environment. Started, waited for the M2K's to take off and it didn't get better. I restarted DCS, no better. I waited until all aircraft had taken of to spawn in, still no better. I verified DCS install, set graphics to minimums, no better. I loaded into an SU-25T, had 70-90 FPS. I Spectate'd various aircraft and had 100+ FPS. I loaded into the same airfield with the same loadout locally (not Multiplayer) and had 100+ FPS. I tried one last time, loaded in when there was zero aircraft at the field and still had the issue.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

You accidentally loaded Novalogic's Comanche: Maximum Overkill

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
UZI Flight quick AAR.

Task: BAI of Artillery and/or combat service support units supporting Artillery and combat forces in AO Arrow, south of Strait of Magellan.
Result: Heavy destruction of one of the 2x Artillery battalion combat service support areas, partial destruction of 2-3x additional logistical sites (Urals, Tigrs, ZU-23, GAZ trucks, outposts, etc)
Sorties: 6x (2x per aircraft, 3x aircraft)
Losses: 1x F-5E to AAA/cannon on second round of sorties.

Overall, mission objectives achieved.

More details to follow when I can fiddle with tacview more or maybe a trackfile.

What went well: On second run in, we considered hitting the airport, but once the enemy lit up radars and fired a gazillion missiles, we aborted and struck CSS sites that still served our purposes without just committing to what was probably too heavily defended a site.

What could go better: I was on my back foot as flight lead, as real world things meant I basically arrived at 3 minutes into the brief, so navigation plan wasn't as tight as it could have been. Mitigated by the flight plan already being built and it being a pretty simple and visually obvious peninsula.

Recommendation
We control in-game time of our missions, unless responding to a red move. I recommend we choose times that aren't dark at start unless we are deliberately doing a night mission. UZI sat around idling for a while just waiting for the sun to rise. Sure, we can take off and see the horizon in twilight, but that does not mean we can tell who/what we're hitting on the ground. If the PRC hadn't helpfully left all their headlights on, we would not have found them in the dark and could have been hitting civilian vehicles camp for all we really knew. Even a 30-60 minute change to start time would help reduce this problem.

Similarly, since we are doing early morning missions, and the carrier tends to sail east, these early time slots mean Ford keeps landing into the sun. Which if they like that, I don't want to kinkshame, but seems unnecessary compared with starting the mission a little bit later or a different time of day entirely.

Finally, sets us up for a big surprise if the enemy relocates at night and we show up, waiting for the sun to rise to reveal them and we find empty areas where the enemy used to be, though thankfully the enemy sits still most nights with their lights on. Once they unlock the light discipline tech tree, we're hosed.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Panther 1-3 after-action report:

Panther 1-1 experienced technical difficulties with his aircraft and was grounded, and so passed command to me.

We found ourselves loaded with two large JDAMs apiece, instead of the expected four. We decided to proceed. The rest of Panther 1 took off in good order. Immediately we were apparently locked up by a hostile SAM, so on the assumption it was low-level I ordered the flight to our designated cruising altitude of 27,500ft using afterburner, rather than a gentle climb that would have conserved fuel. I continued to receive warnings for this emitter but no launches, so decided to chance it. Post flight analysis suggests this was a RWR glitch, and we were not in danger.

I quickly picked up ground radar contacts and easily identified a cluster of supply vehicles via TGP. I vectored -2 and -4 onto them for JDAM drops. I was unfamiliar with this particular model of weapon, and reasoned that given its size and low quantity to designate targets between enemy vehicles and hope to catch more in the blast. This doesn't appear to have been entirely successful, we could only confirm two vehicles as definitely destroyed.

After we expended most of our ordinance, 1-4 reported defending against a J-11. Following our orders for being engaged by hostile aircraft I ordered immediate return to base for Panther-1 flight, jettisoned my remaining bomb, and headed back as well, looking for the enemy fighter, which I failed to find. ABM "Buzzard" reported no hostile air. Post flight analysis suggests that this was in fact an SA-11, rather than a J-11. Regardless, 1-4 successfully defended the missile and Panther 1 flight egressed without issue.

What was supposed to happen:
Destroy enemy supplies, get out without casualties.

What ended up happening:
Destroyed a few enemy supplies, got out without casualties.

What went well:
  • Picked up targets quickly.
  • Handoff of targets went very well.
  • 1-2 and 1-4 dropped successfully on designated targets and in general their performance was exemplary.
  • Nobody died, everyone landed successfully.

What went poorly:
  • Alarm fatigue from the erroneous warning caused me to miss the SA-11.
  • Fatigue fatigue caused me to miss that it was an SA-11 and not a J-11.
  • We didn't destroy very much hardware.

Observations:
For a fairly green team, and my first time in command, I think we did very well. Until late in the mission, I only issued one target at a time, so our attack was fairly slow. This was due to caution and unfamiliarity with the handoff procedure - I wanted to confirm the bombs were going where I wanted and that we were doing it right. We might have been able to destroy more stuff by carrying fewer smaller bombs, but at the rate we were dropping them we would likely have simply returned to base with more ordnance. As it is, we probably left at the right time. I landed with about 600 pounds fuel remaining.

I don't think this mission could have gone any differently. If I were to fly similar missions in future, I would use smaller bombs and more of them, and designate new targets immediately after handoff rather than wait to see if it worked. With a full flight of two TGPs, this could also have been less workload although deconflicting targets might then have become an issue.

DCS observations:
  • Lag was bad, but not unmanageable.
  • I'm not sure we took off and landed at the briefed airfield, I believe it was a different one.

Panther 1-3 helmet recording:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lBWeDfM4w4

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 31, 2023

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Panther 2 report:

Panther 2-2 experienced technical difficulties and was forced to cancel their flight. This left us as a flight of two with myself and radintrov. In order to declutter the airport, I directed Panther 1-3 to take control of their flight and proceed with the mission, my flight following shortly after. We burner climbed to altitude and immediately started getting RWR pings from PLAN vessels, but we knew they were far enough away to not be a factor. Not long after we marshaled, Venom had some technical difficulties with their HARMS and was forced to abort mission due to losses, leaving the SEAD task incomplete. After a little back and forth with Buzzard (Davin Valkri), we proceeded with the mission choosing to limit ourselves to northen targets to minimize SAM exposure.

Both of us were able to identify and prosecute targets using GMT radar and TGP, dropping both of our GBU-31s each in a single pass. While the effect of my own bombs was a bit dubious, radintrov's bombs landed square in a SAM site and demolished it.

Once we dropped our bombs, we flew back to SAWT and landed successfully, though the short runway meant that it took me a couple passes to stick it.

What was supposed to happen:
Destroy enemy SAM sites, get out without casualties.

What ended up happening:
Damaged a SAM site as well as scattered logistics, got out without casualties.

What went well:
  • Picked up targets quickly and engaged successfully.
  • Nobody died, everyone landed successfully.
  • Once a fallback course of action was decided after the loss of Venom, we executed it well.

What went poorly:
  • The conversation while deciding whether or not to proceed with the mission could have been resolved more quickly with greater brevity.
  • "Technical Issues" (framerate issues) knocked out a third of my flight.

Lessons Learned/Observations:
I don't see how we could have improved on our performance, to be honest. We got in, expended our bombs quickly, and got out before anything could hurt us, which is exactly what we planned to do. While missing a guy hurt our ability to deliver ordinance, both of the remaining flight members had TGPs, so we didn't have to deal with handoffs.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Strange, I was in Tiera Del Fuego in March 2010 and don't remember seeing any of this.

Godspeed Argentina!

(I guess the ARA Inrepida got blown up on day 1 in Ushuaia harbor)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

CeeJee posted:

Strange, I was in Tiera Del Fuego in March 2010 and don't remember seeing any of this.

Godspeed Argentina!

(I guess the ARA Inrepida got blown up on day 1 in Ushuaia harbor)

Incorrect!

That ship currently protects the harbor at Rio Gallegos in our game.