Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah less stuff stores settings other than uninstall paths and sometimes license information in the registry these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dariusz2k posted:

This pretty much sums up my experience with Windows 11:

That's on a fresh reboot too.

unused memory is wasted memory, go to the memory tab, it'll show something like this if you mouseover the various bars on usage thingy:
code:
MiB Mem :  64216,6 total,   3197,2 free,  13582,1 used,  48730,8 buff/cache

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it is funny to me, though, that it took microsoft almost 20 years to finally start using ram effectively on consumer OSes, and now people are miffed because "in windows xp/7 i had so much more free ram!" lmao

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

i only care about ram usage when an electron app hiccups and decides to expand exponentially (so like every other hour i loving hate electron)

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I'll be the first to rag on Windows, but JavaScript was not the fault of that OS

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sorry to interrupt the fascinating slapfight over memory, but is there as much of an advantage of Windows 11 Pro over home compared to Windows 10? I recently got a new gaming laptop (which I upgraded to 32GB of DDR5 ASAP) that came with Win 11 Home installed, and I'm wondering if I should bother buying a Pro key to upgrade it. I probably will, since I did the same with my last laptop (also Win 11), but what would I be missing if I don't?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Sorry to interrupt the fascinating slapfight over memory, but is there as much of an advantage of Windows 11 Pro over home compared to Windows 10? I recently got a new gaming laptop (which I upgraded to 32GB of DDR5 ASAP) that came with Win 11 Home installed, and I'm wondering if I should bother buying a Pro key to upgrade it. I probably will, since I did the same with my last laptop (also Win 11), but what would I be missing if I don't?

Up until yesterday, i would have said that GPO is the killer feature that is absolutely worth it if computers don't terrify you, but apparently that's just smoke and mirrors in Win11 now...

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Is the virtualization on pro better enough to merit it so I can run a full Linux distro and use that on top of Windows?

I've done that in the past, but it was a little clunky. Part of me just wants to make it a dual-boot, but it's been a while since I ran one on a laptop. Should be simple enough - it has two discrete SSDs so I wouldn't have to gently caress with both OS installations on the same drive. But :effort:

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Hyper-V is a very solid hypervisor and is plenty capable of running Linux as a guest. What are you looking for specifically?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Hyper-V/WSL is pretty fuckin cool

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I will simp for Hyper-V. If you are interested in VMy stuff , I'd say it's worth for Hyper-V

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Remote Desktop

(whether that's worth the couple of bux for a pirate Pro key is up to you)

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

Klyith posted:

Over the last decade or so I've noticed a lot of software ignoring the registry in favor of AppData for config and such. That might just be that I've been using a lot of open source apps for a while now, even on windows, and they just do the cross-compatible thing. But some of it was windows-only. Some of it was made by MS (for ex Windows Terminal). I think other people also think files are better.

Nah, when setting up new PCs I have made a habit of pulling the AppData folder over. It *usually* pulls over config for everything. I wish only that this was more of a consistent experience.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

biznatchio posted:

The reason the registry exists is because of COM. That’s why it’s called the registry, because it’s where COM registrations lived.

I have no idea if this is literally true since I haven’t looked it up… but having been a software dev for 20 years I’m pretty sure it is.
COM was a huge deal (still is) and it was baked into the registry from the beginning.
Regsvr32.exe can eat my rear end

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Wasn't the idea of the DWM that applications wouldn't block desktop composition? So why is it that starting certain apps causes major hitching? Say I'm merrily browsing the web, then download a torrent, which then starts Transmission, which in turn causes the desktop to stop rendering for a whole second, until it is done loading? This is kinda dumb.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

which in turn causes the desktop to stop rendering for a whole second, until it is done loading? This is kinda dumb.

Fix you PC. That's a hardware problem.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

namlosh posted:

I have no idea if this is literally true since I haven’t looked it up… but having been a software dev for 20 years I’m pretty sure it is.

It's both true and not. The original registry in win16 was for COM. The registry in 95 was a complete re-write that added all the configuration stuff that we think of as the registry today, and still did the COM.
cite Raymond Chen

Truga posted:

it is funny to me, though, that it took microsoft almost 20 years to finally start using ram effectively on consumer OSes, and now people are miffed because "in windows xp/7 i had so much more free ram!" lmao

Windows has always done the effective thing dating back to at least Vista. The only thing that changes is the display on task manager and whether caches are included in the most user-visible readouts or hidden. They made them hidden starting in 7 so that people wouldn't complain.

Apparently the new UI for task manager in 11 makes caches more visible again?

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

nielsm posted:

Get the best of all worlds: Store your config in a REG_BINARY registry value that contains XML-wrapped YAML that, for the most part but not everywhere, is formatted to look like JSON.

ASCII is for cowards, read/write your config C structs directly to the registry, hope the sizes match! That was a nice surprise.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is the virtualization on pro better enough to merit it so I can run a full Linux distro and use that on top of Windows?

I've done that in the past, but it was a little clunky. Part of me just wants to make it a dual-boot, but it's been a while since I ran one on a laptop. Should be simple enough - it has two discrete SSDs so I wouldn't have to gently caress with both OS installations on the same drive. But :effort:

Dual booting with separate drives is trivial now, especially if Windows is already installed. You can even leave secure boot on if you're going for a major distro.

I dropped my old Gen3 2tb drive in the spare slot of the new MoBo, booted the Fedora KDE installer ISO (ventoy is loving lovely), and it picked up the Windows EFI stuff without issue or intervention on my part.

Windows bootloader is now an option in the grub menu and it Just works™.

I still have a bunch of software that necessitates windows as my primary, but it's a good setup.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

MikusR posted:

Fix you PC. That's a hardware problem.
7950X3D, Geforce 3080, Samsung 990PRO.

I don't think it is.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

AlexDeGruven posted:

Dual booting with separate drives is trivial now, especially if Windows is already installed. You can even leave secure boot on if you're going for a major distro.

I dropped my old Gen3 2tb drive in the spare slot of the new MoBo, booted the Fedora KDE installer ISO (ventoy is loving lovely), and it picked up the Windows EFI stuff without issue or intervention on my part.

Windows bootloader is now an option in the grub menu and it Just works™.

I still have a bunch of software that necessitates windows as my primary, but it's a good setup.

Even with one drive, it's not an issue. Installers see the EFI partition and do not normally format it, just add their own folder in there.
pre:
drwx------ 5 root root 1024 Jul 18 21:00 .
drwx------ 5 root root 1024 Dec 31  1969 ..
drwx------ 2 root root 1024 Jul 18 21:00 Boot
drwx------ 5 root root 2048 Dec 15 19:14 fedora
drwx------ 4 root root 1024 Jan 28  2017 Microsoft
Then grub in EFI mode just picks them up when generating the config file. Just in the bios you need to tell it boot the linux OS so that you can get grub.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Really dumb, but my Edge browser (which I use for throwaway browsing and logging into sites I don't want to have to clear cookies from) stopped clearing history/cookies/passwords/etc. on exiting.

I don't know why. The settings are still the same: to delete everything even I exit. But doing so or even shutting the browser down in the task manager doesn't clear anything. Any ideas? I'm guessing this is a bug in the last update (since it's only been doing this for less than a week)?

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
There's definitely precedent for some settings only applying to enterprise SKUs - some more granular telemetry settings come to mind. It's definitely not the case across the board or even a majority though. I use local policy to control a things on my personal systems which all have 11 pro (2 of the 3 on 23h2) and everything seems to work fine.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't think it is.

You just listed the 3 pieces of hardware most likely to be the problem. MB could be an issue too but starting with one of those three would be your best bet.

SSD first.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

slidebite posted:

I've got a several year old surface pro... I think 2017. It's running an i5-7300u w/8GB

It is saying I can't run 11 through standard updates.

I have 11 on a couple of other PCs and don't really mind it. Any practical downside to doing one of those "force 11" on it hacks?

So going back to this old post, I downloaded the ISO and created a boot USB with Rufus as was recommended.

I'm actually following the Explaining Computers how to.. I love this guys channel as I wanted to do this to the old Surface 5 this week.

But, in doing so, I came across this guy, explaining how easy it is to do on unsupported hardware via mounting the ISO and running the Win 11 Server install via command line. Looks like you can do it in a way to do an upgrade and not lose your files and such.
https://youtu.be/ug__CVQQQsc?si=QaDbfe9MnH7FoLsm

I think I might give that a shot first. I am prepared to do a full nuke/install, but it would be nice if it didn't.

Any reason not to try the upgrade method in the ^ link first?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't think it is.

My hardware is expensive and therefore cannot have issues

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't think it is.

My 3090 needed an RMA because the desktop display could hang for a few seconds (looked like a software problem) or sometimes get random bad pixels (looked like a monitor problem)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

slidebite posted:

So going back to this old post, I downloaded the ISO and created a boot USB with Rufus as was recommended.

I'm actually following the Explaining Computers how to.. I love this guys channel as I wanted to do this to the old Surface 5 this week.

But, in doing so, I came across this guy, explaining how easy it is to do on unsupported hardware via mounting the ISO and running the Win 11 Server install via command line. Looks like you can do it in a way to do an upgrade and not lose your files and such.
https://youtu.be/ug__CVQQQsc?si=QaDbfe9MnH7FoLsm

I think I might give that a shot first. I am prepared to do a full nuke/install, but it would be nice if it didn't.

Any reason not to try the upgrade method in the ^ link first?
FWIW, I did that install via the 2nd method of running a server install via command line, and it worked perfectly.

So far at least.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

What the actual gently caress.

Why is MS so insistent on turning their OS into such a dumpster fire. They are bleeding marketshare like nuts and their response is to make poo poo worse...

AI is the future so everything must have AI in it, because it's the future, the geeks haven't run MS in years, it runs on investor storytime now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Chronojam posted:

My 3090 needed an RMA because the desktop display could hang for a few seconds (looked like a software problem) or sometimes get random bad pixels (looked like a monitor problem)
Over here, everything's smooth if all apps are running. The hitching only happens when an application starts. Typically GTK/Qt applications (e.g. Transmission) or video players like MPC cause it (--edit: well, it's GTK, too), when it happens. Not sure what they do.

I don't know, if I can play a game like CP2077 for hours on end without even reloading the game or rebooting the computer, and no visual glitches whatsoever, I'm crossing my fingers that it's not that RMA issue.

To be fair, I'm suspecting this G-Sync Compatible crap in my Samsung monitors. Actually, I'm suspecting Samsung.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 31, 2023

astral
Apr 26, 2004

That's a good suspicion; I'd try making sure Monitor Technology is set to 'fixed refresh' for one of the laggy applications and then see if it still happens. Might be trying to g-sync to an abysmal framerate.

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

biznatchio posted:

The great part about using the file system for configuration is that every application's developers can express themselves by storing their configuration settings in their own unique way. It might be in an INI file for the oldster developers who are afraid of curly brackets. It might be in JSON for the hipster developers yearning for the day when everything is node. It might be in YAML for masochists. It could even be XML. It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get!

Only scurvy-hating squares want configuration in a centralized location in a standardized format. Where's your fuckin sense of adventure?

gently caress curly brackets.

BEGIN
END

is where it's always been at.

(Yes, I loving LOVE Pascal. Sue me.)

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

imperiusdamian posted:

(Yes, I loving LOVE Pascal. Sue me.)

Runtime error 200 for the number of MHz your processor cannot exceed before Pascal DOS programs stop working.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hey Windows thread, I'm just double checking this question here because I think it might fit better than the PC building thread where I posted this originally.

I recently installed a new M2 drive and created a fresh, squeaky clean windows installation. Unfortunately, I didn't remove my old drives first. Result is that the bootloader is on the old drives, so when I remove them from the computer, I can't boot onto my new installation anymore.

Responses from the PC buliding thread and this article say that this is fixable, and that I can use the steps outlined therein to create a bootloader on my new drive. Any reason I shouldn't do this? Any danger to think about?

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-boot-manager-on-wrong-drive-fix

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

What the actual gently caress.

Why is MS so insistent on turning their OS into such a dumpster fire. They are bleeding marketshare like nuts and their response is to make poo poo worse...

One of the things that nettles me most in setting up Windows 11 happens when altering my power settings, which Microsoft has tuned to turn off the screen and machine quickly. I leave my machine to handle video transcodes overnight, and it admonishes me to lower my carbon footprint. Which is rich for a company running datacenters in drought regions and drawing on regional water tables, and infusing power-hungry AI into every place it can, and then trying to guilt trip me for performing hands-off work with the computer I own. What greenwashing bullshit.

As for the rest of it, Microsoft appears to be entirely fine with using its entrenched status to claw as much money out of the PC market as they can, even if it turns it into an irrecoverable shithole. What do they care? They’re worth a trillion dollars, they’ll just find something else to eat.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If a million people would only lower their PC power usage by 20% it could eventually offset the carbon cost of a single private jet trip to Epstein Island

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I would honestly be happier than anything else if Microsoft would just stop putting all of their KB articles behind a redirect so when I click back to look for more search results it actually goes back to my loving search results instead of the same goddamn page I already decided I didn't need.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

AlexDeGruven posted:

I would honestly be happier than anything else if Microsoft would just stop putting all of their KB articles behind a redirect so when I click back to look for more search results it actually goes back to my loving search results instead of the same goddamn page I already decided I didn't need.

Also the utter peppercorn-in-my-eye abomination that is replacing small bits of the UI with links to Bing searches for the thing that clicking the user interface used to handle for you.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Hasturtium posted:

Also the utter peppercorn-in-my-eye abomination that is replacing small bits of the UI with links to Bing searches for the thing that clicking the user interface used to handle for you.

Gotta juice those bing numbers so the team doesn't get fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

Is there any reason to do this besides some weird dark pattern thing? Intentionally breaking the back button is something only the worst sites do.