Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Sally posted:

lol what was it? i havent seen the show.

Pretty much all the tech bros of the world, when the end of the world started to happen, decided to say screw it to everyone and moved out into the middle of the oceans on special solar powered little farms which quickly sank into chaos when they couldn't find any fish. And it mostly sink into chaos because they were so rude and nasty to their AI servers because they would not have any humans there to serve because they would be beneath the tech bros. But then there was the ultra ultra rich, the 0.001% of the super wealthy that took a rocket to Mars. The episode ends with a seeing a pretty nice looking colony on Mars, but when the astronauts helmet exposes the person underneath, it's a cat; turns out the cats were the ones who escape instead of the tech bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

ynohtna posted:

Nobody is a dad-sploitation flick and so operates on nonsense power-Dad symbolic logic.

Its a jumped-up Scott Adkins/Frank Grillo style Movies for Mancaves movie. Its fun enough and I did enjoy geriatric Christopher Lloyd going ham with a shotgun.

I watched Rebel Moon last night and wow ok, that's certainly a movie Zack Snyder made alright. I was half wondering if it was, like, Black Adam bad where its just a soulless generic superhero movie but it is so much worse. Despite stylistic vision and larger than life compositions being the one thing Snyder is known and praised for, this movie feels weirdly cheap and small. Maybe he shouldn't be his own DP and consider hiring someone actually competent. Also the action scenes felt really choppy and there's a lot of cuts right where someone should be selling a hit. I kept thinking "this feels like it should have been an R rated movie" and when I looked it up, sure enough, there's an unrated cut in the works and apparently Netflix wanted a PG-13 cut for the initial release. I don't think an R cut will fix any of the basic structural problems but it might at least make the action scenes work better.

Kinda made me want to rewatch Battle Beyond the Stars though, the far superior version of Seven Samurai in space.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I know that complaining about Love Actually is really old hat right now, but this is the irrational movie thread so let me be irrational.

One of the stories is about step-dad widower Daniel who is taking care of his orphaned step-son Sam. Sam asks Daniel for love advice and Daniel tells him about his own love for Sam's late mother (Daniel's late wife). What does he say? Does he talk about how just a few words or a smile from Sam's mother could turn the worst day into the best? How she brightened up a room just by being there? How he and Sam's mother made each other the best versions of themselves, or how he dreamed of holding her hand is his own shaky hand when they were both in their eighties and still together?

No, he describes his love for her as having sex with her constantly in every room of the house. Love is when loving. You can tell this movie was written by a man.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I watched Rebel Moon last night and wow ok, that's certainly a movie Zack Snyder made alright. I was half wondering if it was, like, Black Adam bad where its just a soulless generic superhero movie but it is so much worse. Despite stylistic vision and larger than life compositions being the one thing Snyder is known and praised for, this movie feels weirdly cheap and small. Maybe he shouldn't be his own DP and consider hiring someone actually competent. Also the action scenes felt really choppy and there's a lot of cuts right where someone should be selling a hit. I kept thinking "this feels like it should have been an R rated movie" and when I looked it up, sure enough, there's an unrated cut in the works and apparently Netflix wanted a PG-13 cut for the initial release. I don't think an R cut will fix any of the basic structural problems but it might at least make the action scenes work better.

Kinda made me want to rewatch Battle Beyond the Stars though, the far superior version of Seven Samurai in space.

I watched it last night too and it's now competing for the worst movie of the year with Blue Beetle. If someone told me both were made by AI I would believe them, not a single thing wasn't ripped from something else and just utterly pointless loving garbage.

The space hitler design was maybe a little bit more soviet than german but thats it. I was laughing at the loactions they dreamed up for this poo poo: space viking village, space wild west, space japan, space colosseum in space Rome... In few years AI will probably generate 40 billion movies like this per nanosecond and that's all there will be.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The We Hate Movies guys did an episode of Love Actually if anyone is into that sort of thing

https://audioboom.com/posts/8418287-love-actually

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Nebrilos posted:

I know that complaining about Love Actually is really old hat right now, but this is the irrational movie thread so let me be irrational.

One of the stories is about step-dad widower Daniel who is taking care of his orphaned step-son Sam. Sam asks Daniel for love advice and Daniel tells him about his own love for Sam's late mother (Daniel's late wife). What does he say? Does he talk about how just a few words or a smile from Sam's mother could turn the worst day into the best? How she brightened up a room just by being there? How he and Sam's mother made each other the best versions of themselves, or how he dreamed of holding her hand is his own shaky hand when they were both in their eighties and still together?

No, he describes his love for her as having sex with her constantly in every room of the house. Love is when loving. You can tell this movie was written by a man.

I do like the part where Neeson says he was quite taken with her and gives a little side eye to the camera.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

e: wrong thread

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 15:07 on Dec 31, 2023

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

If I start a NG+ in Elden Ring and respec into a faith build, will all the spells I sold in my first run still be there? I unloaded ones I was never gonna use. TIA.

It depends. If you sold them to the ambulance, then those spells are gone until you reach the hospital.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

LOL whoops wrong thread

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
Saw the Hunger Games prequel and found it very distracting when the male lead spent part of the movie looking exactly like a Default Eminem.
Same haircut and color, plain white T-shirt and dog tags on a ball link necklace.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kids love eminem, right?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Biplane posted:

Kids love eminem, right?

I believe the hot new slang is that kids "stan" Eminem

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Also Elden RIng:

Is there any point to altering garments with the sewing needle? All it's done is lower my stats and I can't find a way to unfuck the armor I altered.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Biplane posted:

Kids love eminem, right?

Actually they like violence

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Actually they like violence

Against, or on behalf of, Eminem?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

BiggerBoat posted:

Also Elden RIng:

Is there any point to altering garments with the sewing needle? All it's done is lower my stats and I can't find a way to unfuck the armor I altered.

Did you screw up posting in the right thread three times now?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

W424 posted:

I watched it last night too and it's now competing for the worst movie of the year with Blue Beetle. If someone told me both were made by AI I would believe them, not a single thing wasn't ripped from something else and just utterly pointless loving garbage.

The space hitler design was maybe a little bit more soviet than german but thats it. I was laughing at the loactions they dreamed up for this poo poo: space viking village, space wild west, space japan, space colosseum in space Rome... In few years AI will probably generate 40 billion movies like this per nanosecond and that's all there will be.

I would be completely unsurprised if it turns out the production team was just typing poo poo into midjourney and sending the results straight to the VFX house

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I would be completely unsurprised if it turns out the production team was just typing poo poo into midjourney and sending the results straight to the VFX house

It wouldn't surprise me. One of the bigger dropped balls design-wise for me were the various spaceships. Take the evil empire: From the moment they roll up with their caps, their greatcoats, their weird masked priest guys, and their engraved armour, it's apparent that this is a group that is big on aesthetics. But their ships do not represent that at all, they're mostly just kinda rounded-off grey rectangles. They not only fail to align with the aesthetic of the dudes on the ground (or indeed any unifying aesthetic), they're just plain boring to look at. The interiors, too, are just nondescript steel bulkheads and the occasional vaguely retro computer station. Really the sort of thing that comes out when you just slam "spaceship design" into google or, indeed, some AI image generator.

This is doubly damning when it comes to the self-invited comparison to Star Wars (and to a lesser degree Warhams 40k), which has absolutely iconic and immediately recognizable designs for their spaceships that both look cool and also reinforce their factions' respective vibes and aesthetics.

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 13:05 on Jan 1, 2024

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
That was the most surprising and lovely thing. It's just so bland. It has absolutely no sense of being anywhere at all.

The retired filigree robot was the only vaguely interesting thing and they used him entirely as a sequel tease

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Perestroika posted:

This is doubly damning when it comes to the self-invited comparison to Star Wars (and to a lesser degree Warhams 40k), which has absolutely iconic and immediately recognizable designs for their spaceships that both look cool and also reinforce their factions' respective vibes and aesthetics.

The first thirty seconds of Star Wars has more iconographic power than entire franchises.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Haven't seen Rebel Moon yet. Does it open on "hand running through wheat" or does it take a space scene before getting to wheat hands?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

theironjef posted:

Haven't seen Rebel Moon yet. Does it open on "hand running through wheat" or does it take a space scene before getting to wheat hands?

It does begin with farming

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

maybeadracula posted:

The retired filigree robot was the only vaguely interesting thing and they used him entirely as a sequel tease

I feel like they wanted the robot to be in the whole movie but then Anthony Hopkins remembered half way through his line readings that he was Anthony Hopkins, said 'gently caress this' and bailed

Byzantine posted:

The first thirty seconds of Star Wars has more iconographic power than entire franchises.

The two suns shot on Tatooine alone shits all over everything in Rebel Moon.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

I feel like they wanted the robot to be in the whole movie but then Anthony Hopkins remembered half way through his line readings that he was Anthony Hopkins, said 'gently caress this' and bailed

Didn't even realize it was him

What a waste

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

maybeadracula posted:

Didn't even realize it was him

What a waste

He must have made some poor financial decisions because he has sure been in a lot of lovely sci-fi in the past few years. Or they just throw a ridiculous amount of money at him for a voice role

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Also Elden RIng:

It usually makes them lighter in exchange for the stat reduction, also fashion souls.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Armacham posted:

He must have made some poor financial decisions because he has sure been in a lot of lovely sci-fi in the past few years. Or they just throw a ridiculous amount of money at him for a voice role

He's 200 years old, I'm sure he's just trying to get paid as much as possible before dying.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I didn't realize Anthony Hopkins was in Rebel Moon and I just learned he's going to play Sigmund Freud in Freud's Last Session.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Android Apocalypse posted:

I didn't realize Anthony Hopkins was in Rebel Moon and I just learned he's going to play Sigmund Freud in Freud's Last Session.

He's really good at not being Anthony Hopkins. Like "Remains of the Day" Anthony Hopkins and "Silence of the Lambs" Anthony Hopkins are totally different guys.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Facebook Aunt posted:

He's really good at not being Anthony Hopkins. Like "Remains of the Day" Anthony Hopkins and "Silence of the Lambs" Anthony Hopkins are totally different guys.
Fun bit of trivia: he and Martha Stewart were dating until she saw Silence of the Lambs.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

FFT posted:

Fun bit of trivia: he and Martha Stewart were dating until she saw Silence of the Lambs.

Just like how Vincent D’Onofrio’s wife apparently refused to sleep in the same bed as him for a while after seeing him in The Cell.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Just like how Vincent D’Onofrio’s wife apparently refused to sleep in the same bed as him for a while after seeing him in The Cell.

The movie wasn't that bad, geez

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Biplane posted:

Against, or on behalf of, Eminem?

Yes.

Just wait til you figure out which One Piece villain is visually based on Eminem.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yes.

Just wait til you figure out which One Piece villain is visually based on Eminem.

Is it the guy with the small straw hat? because it provides slim shade.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

Hel posted:

Is it the guy with the small straw hat? because it provides slim shade.

Having first mentioned him in the thread, I feel partially responsible for this awful joke.
Sorry everyone.

Shame on you, Hel.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
gently caress that's good

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Remember how the comic Wanted clearly featured Eminem and Halle Berry and the movie featured James McAvoy and Angelina Jolie?

I remember.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

FFT posted:

Remember how the comic Wanted clearly featured Eminem and Halle Berry and the movie featured James McAvoy and Angelina Jolie?

I remember.

I liked the part where professor X beats starlord with a keyboard

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Baron von Eevl posted:

There was also a bit around the production of Passion where he was asked to refute his father for being an actual Holocaust denying Nazi and he refused to do it because the 10 commandments say to honor thy mother and father. I forget if he was asked to at least acknowledge that the Holocaust happened.

Re: Mel Gibson.

It was Passion of the Christ that outed him, not as an anti-semite per se, but as a weirdo fundie Catholic that literally thinks Jews are satan and are going to hell. It was then that I came across an interview with him talking about his ex wife, and he said, almost verbatim, "she is a good person who loves jesus. She is a better person than me and does plenty of good works for charity and the like with love and Jesus in her heart. Bust she is going to hell because she is not the same denomination of Catholic as I am. Eh, whatchoo gonna do? Heathens, amiright?"

Then there was an incident where his Russian rent-a--girlfriend taped him on the phone yelling at her for something or other, and as part of his tirade he was recorded, amongst other slurs, as saying "I hope you get r*ped by a pack of n*****s"

He is a foul human being. But I did enjoy his santa movie with Walton Goggins, Doesn't make him any less of a shitstain though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

FFT posted:

I remember.

Remember how it was about how a bunch of supervillains teamed up and beat the superheroes and the film COMPLETELY dropped anything to do with that apart from people being able to make bullets curve?