Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

On a day where All Japan have more potential eyeballs than ever before from fight I wish Abe and Nomura weren't slumming it with Menso-re in the opener

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Big lol at the crowd getting behind Omori in his final match with the company, very cool to see KumaDoi in All Japan again

e: Goodbye Omori, you were pretty washed the entire time i've been watching this company but it's still emotional to see you go

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 31, 2023

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I absolutely love when teammates are facing each other and they just let their theme play over both entrances, it helps that the Saito Brothers theme is a banger

e: "Saito" chants for both guys

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 31, 2023

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

:lol: Ikeman eating poo poo on the barrier during his entrance then just laying there dead

gripebomb
Dec 13, 2006

I wanted to fight the world.

- Eddie Kingston

SG Bamboo posted:

:lol: Ikeman eating poo poo on the barrier during his entrance then just laying there dead

lol wtf and then a big flip kip up...ruled

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Ashino is back! :neckbeard:

I hope he kills these nerds

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I don't watch a lot of AJPW, but hearing "Fuel" by Metallica attached to Shotaro Ashino as his entrance theme is so cool

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

T-Hawk remains the king of chop

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Now that is surprising

I was expecting a lot more dominant performance from this match but still really enjoyed it. Ashino looking great in his first match since May, that sequence near the end with he and Ikeman was rad

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

If you want to make Dempsey look strong why put him up against LEONA who loving sucks and Fujinami who while more mobile than expected is still 70 years old with 52 years in the business, this match feels like a chore and it's only been a bit over 5 minutes

e: thank gently caress it's over and the right guy won

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Hell yeah. Very happy for Dan, he's come a long way from when he wa just a goofy looking dude that could take a lot of punishment

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

An entire Tag league together and these fuckers still can't get along :lol:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

What has Nakajima done to himself :stonk:

gripebomb
Dec 13, 2006

- Eddie Kingston
HOLY poo poo Nakajima going full Inoki for this is loving incredible

gripebomb
Dec 13, 2006

- Eddie Kingston
All the AJPW wrestlers in Kento's corner

gripebomb
Dec 13, 2006

- Eddie Kingston
Is Nakajima wearing the Ali shorts!?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

This crowd is a bit more one sided compared to the last time they fought

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

God Nakajima's kicks are so loving murderous

So far this has been a bit below their first match but that was my MOTY so it's to be expected, i'm expecting at least another 5-10 minutes for them to make it up

e: oh poo poo bit real hard there

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
That last kick was loving brutal

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Hitting his finish then going for a submission to force Kento to quit in front of the home crowd, what an absolute bastard :allears:

Will probably end up somewhere in my top 15-20 matches this year, brilliant stuff

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Is he angling for a match with Okada for Inoki's legacy?

gripebomb
Dec 13, 2006

- Eddie Kingston
That was perfection. Nakajima is such a loving prick and I love it.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Who was the old man who came out alongside Nakajima?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Astronauts won the "indie"* wrestling awards for best tag team returning after two years of Pheromones

*if Tokyo Sports is dominated by NJPW these are dominated by Cyberfight promotions

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

SG Bamboo posted:

Is he angling for a match with Okada for Inoki's legacy?

Bit weird if so, since Okada was never an Inoki guy. I'd say 'get Tanahashi in', but he actively moved NJPW away from Inokiism as the company ace, so idk

maybe Shibata?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Venomous posted:

Bit weird if so, since Okada was never an Inoki guy. I'd say 'get Tanahashi in', but he actively moved NJPW away from Inokiism as the company ace, so idk

maybe Shibata?

I thought Okada just because Okada is rocking the Inoki robe/scarf and doing the "Ichi, Ni, San, DA!" which Nakajima aped during the match.

If Shibata came back to Japan to do an AJPW shot after signing an AEW contract that would be absolute madness

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Bushiroad and Gedo’s goal for Okada for years has been “make him the new Inoki”.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/prowres_tm/status/1741553060214980902

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Shuji Ishikawa and Yoshitatsu also leaving All Japan https://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/articles/-/287680

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

oh no! not Yoshitatsu!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
For better and for worse, AJPW has been the Yoshitatsu Containment Zone, so I'm a little concerned...

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Shuji's a massive bummer, he's had a great year

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
https://twitter.com/sg_oxxt/status/1741572261839319122?t=SsJHMsHTNBqLoW2Ca1W1nA&s=19

Wouldn't be All Japan without an exodus

Stall_19 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 31, 2023

everwake
Aug 9, 2021

Discord: everwake#0311
Steam: Everwake
Xbox: everwake#3338
PlayStation: everwakePS
Nintendo: SW-0815-2733-9404
Mastodon: https://gamepad.club/@everwake
I have zero knowledge of contemporary AJPW. How much of the roster is even left?

I know a lot of wrestlers in Japan are on yearly contracts, is this just something that happens to promotions occasionally?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

everwake posted:

I have zero knowledge of contemporary AJPW. How much of the roster is even left?

I know a lot of wrestlers in Japan are on yearly contracts, is this just something that happens to promotions occasionally?

Ajpw has a lot of really good young talent they are building around. I'd not really doom about it until those guys start leaving.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SG Bamboo posted:

On a day where All Japan have more potential eyeballs than ever before from fight I wish Abe and Nomura weren't slumming it with Menso-re in the opener

TBH thought the opener was an ideal opener, and a decent showcase for Astronauts. And what else you gonna do, feed them to the Saitos? Actually rather enjoyed their singles match anyway.

I'm very into the idea of someone who has no context and is watching their first contemporary AJPW show making sense of Ikemen's entrance. Also really digging that Ashino's return is in what amounts to a Wrestle-1 offer match. I really would have liked W-1 if it was around now, but it's death has deffo strengthened the scene in general and AJPW in particular.

OK, back to not reading the thread lest I accidentally see a spoiler for that main event

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Ajpw has a lot of really good young talent they are building around. I'd not really doom about it until those guys start leaving.

Yeah the future still looks bright, in terms of guys under 30 that can main event now and for the next few years:
Heavyweight - Yuma Anzai, Yuma Aoyagi, Ryuki Honda, Hokuto Omori, Naoya Nomura (when he comes back from injury)
Jrs - Atsuki Aoyagi, Rising HAYATO, Dan Tamura, Ryo Inoue
Plus guys like Kento and Ashino in their mid 30s who are still in their peak.

If some of these core guys start leaving, or any of the frequent guests like T-Hawk and Lindaman (GLEAT), Abe and Takuya Nomura (BJW), Ren Ayabe (JTO), or Naruki Doi start dropping bookings then i'll be a bit more worried about All Japan's continued existence. Much as I love Ishikawa's run these last couple of years he is at the very tail end of his in-ring career and doesn't have a ton of big matches left in him, If the people loyal to him start to leave as well (Like with Misawa in 2000 and Mutoh in 2013) then that'll be a much bigger blow.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

forkboy84 posted:

TBH thought the opener was an ideal opener, and a decent showcase for Astronauts. And what else you gonna do, feed them to the Saitos?

Maybe have them replace LEONA and Fujinami in putting over Dempsey? Nothing like getting the stuffing beaten out of you and overcoming that to prepare for a potential meeting with Nakajima

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

SG Bamboo posted:

I thought Okada just because Okada is rocking the Inoki robe/scarf and doing the "Ichi, Ni, San, DA!" which Nakajima aped during the match.

The Cameo posted:

Bushiroad and Gedo’s goal for Okada for years has been “make him the new Inoki”.

fair points, well made. Yeah, that's fine by me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Nakajima doing the Inoki buttscoot, instant *****