Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Platystemon posted:

Illinois Supreme Court: roads are not intended for cyclists, tough poo poo if the city’s paving job kills you.

Regarding the story “Illinois Supreme Court finds Chicago not liable for cyclists who hit potholes on roads not ‘intended’ for bikes” on Dec. 25:

As a recreational biker, I totally sympathize with cyclists who are injured due to unsafe roadways, but given the reality, bikers must expect the unexpected.

Unfortunately, I have seen too many instances where bicyclists are totally derelict when it comes to norms regarding safety measures. Even if a biker is injured while traveling in a designated bike lane, it does not mean the cyclist was acting responsibly.

For example, in 2018 I noticed a young adult with no helmet riding down Lawrence Avenue. He was busy with his phone with no hands on the handlebars. I immediately yelled at him, “You shouldn’t be doing that! If you hit a pothole, you’re finished.” His response was a short rant that included an expletive.
Related

Roadways can be unsafe, and bikers should act with due diligence. Also, the police should enforce the Chicago municipal code and ticket those who are not following common sense regulations while riding their bikes.

Larry Vigon, Jefferson Park

Sun Times letter to the editor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Gonna bike up to the potholes rolling coal waste oil and unleash two hundred gallons of tar (safely).

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

A scenario:

You are driving down a residential road with no sidewalks. On both sides are people walking. Do you:

A: slow down and moved to the center of the road to drive carefully around the pedestrians
B: stay the same speed but move to the middle
C: Speed up and stay right, almost taking out one group of pedestrians

If you chose C: you chose what just happened to me on my walk. I think the driver didn't even realize we existed. But both hands were on the wheel and she ... appeared to be looking at the road???

E: drive to the entrance to the residential area, park my car so it blocks the entry as much as possible, then set it on fire.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Cyclists shouldn't count as pedestrians

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

"I yelled at stranger on the street and for some reason he didn't like that."

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I have donated 30 light sets to un/underlit cyclists in december. Be the change you want to see in the world etc.

Best interaction was a young dude going "Obviously, can't you see?" when I asked if he didn't have lights, only to light up in an awesome smile when I passed him a set.

You nerds stay safe, gently caress cars forever.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

I have donated 30 light sets to un/underlit cyclists in december. Be the change you want to see in the world etc.

Best interaction was a young dude going "Obviously, can't you see?" when I asked if he didn't have lights, only to light up in an awesome smile when I passed him a set.

You nerds stay safe, gently caress cars forever.

Cool post

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Cyclists shouldn't count as pedestrians

they don't! they're literally in vehicles!! they can get DUIs!!! the Illinois thing is going to have some weird implications, unless cars are also "permitted, not intended"

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

how do you not see that lol

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

more important to scroll Facebook than look out the windshield. it's a parking lot after all, what could happen?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
some people don’t update their glasses when they really need to

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

Elderly, demented drivers.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

lmao the wikipedia-style popup begging the reader to donate to a for-profit enterprise

twist: wikipedia wants $2.55/yr. the sun times wants $150/yr.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the drivers could have thought the post was a small child and rammed it intentionally

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

i say swears online posted:

they don't! they're literally in vehicles!! they can get DUIs!!! the Illinois thing is going to have some weird implications, unless cars are also "permitted, not intended"

My commuter bicycle is more of a sport utility vehicle

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Greg12 posted:

lmao the wikipedia-style popup begging the reader to donate to a for-profit enterprise

twist: wikipedia wants $2.55/yr. the sun times wants $150/yr.

CST is actually owned by the local PBS station so they're not even for profit. I don't understand the block they do.

ed: https://apnews.com/article/business-media-chicago-philanthropy-public-radio-6a7f53e0665c71c1ca06cecd7bdee749

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

lobster shirt posted:

A lot of those signs are flimsy plastic paddles and you can effortlessly drive over them with your car. Cities won't put up any infrastructure that might damage a car breaking the law, but I guess private lots do.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

you know, maybe it could be worse.

quote:

Seattle is averaging 28 traffic deaths a year, according to a February review by SDOT of the city’s “Vision Zero” plan, launched in 2015 with a goal of eliminating fatal and serious injury crashes. This year, 27 people, among them two bicyclists and 12 pedestrians, have died on Seattle streets.

quote:

King County's 2023 fentanyl deaths top 1,050, surpassing record
someone (not I) should start a fentanyl thread

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wow Austin's usually around 100 traffic fatalities

Twerk from Home posted:

Wait, Seattle only had 14 pedestrians die? What the hell, how is it so safe there?

Nashville is a smaller city with a hell of a lot fewer pedestrians and we had 49 pedestrians killed in 2022: https://wpln.org/post/nashville-set-another-pedestrian-fatality-record-in-2022/.

all the new suburb construction probably has lots of areas with no sidewalks

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 18:57 on Dec 31, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Wait, Seattle only had 14 pedestrians die? What the hell, how is it so safe there?

Nashville is a smaller city with a hell of a lot fewer pedestrians and we had 49 pedestrians killed in 2022: https://wpln.org/post/nashville-set-another-pedestrian-fatality-record-in-2022/.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Ensign Expendable posted:

A lot of those signs are flimsy plastic paddles and you can effortlessly drive over them with your car. Cities won't put up any infrastructure that might damage a car breaking the law, but I guess private lots do.

This is intentional because signposts aren't supposed to kill people. If you're being generous, someone might have lost control because brakes/steering failed or another car hit them (lol, no of course they were speeding in a parking lot), and even where the goal is to provide a real barrier you want to do it with as much give as possible to dissipate the force involved.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

wow Austin's usually around 100 traffic fatalities

all the new suburb construction probably has lots of areas with no sidewalks

Yeah, Nashville is the city that had its law that required developers to build sidewalks in most higher density places inside city limits struck down by the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.

https://www.planetizen.com/news/2023/05/123245-court-rules-against-nashville-sidewalk-ordinance

quote:

The Sixth Circuit court ruled against the city of Nashville’s effort to require developers to build or pay for new sidewalks on their projects or pay into a city sidewalk fund, reports Gabriel Tynes in Courthouse News. “On Wednesday, the Sixth Circuit ruled the city’s 2019 sidewalk ordinance leaves property owners vulnerable to unconstitutional takings under the Fifth Amendment and remanded the case for the district court to decide the appropriate remedy.”

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
haha yeah true i dont want bad drivers to be harmed by their own actions nor do i lust for their blood generally

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This is intentional because signposts aren't supposed to kill people. If you're being generous, someone might have lost control because brakes/steering failed or another car hit them (lol, no of course they were speeding in a parking lot), and even where the goal is to provide a real barrier you want to do it with as much give as possible to dissipate the force involved.

what if a pedestrian was standing behind the sign, do they deserve to die more than the bad driver? in 2024, try to think before you post, people.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

Nashville is the most pedestrian unfriendly place I've walked around, other than that one strip downtown. Unrelentingly hostile.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mawarannahr posted:

Sorry, but that is not a public health emergency of international concern.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Hell yeah looks like BUI is back on the menu!

quote:

Instead of a minimum $1,000 fine, HB 2316 makes BUI a minimum $500 fine. (But if the person is bicycling with a 0.15 blood-alcohol content or higher, they are fined the same as a driver.)

The bill does not apply to electric bikes. So if you’re on an e-bike, you’re treated just like you were driving a car.

Provisions in the law relating to suspension and revocation of a drivers license do not apply if you were riding a bicycle.

Judges will need to declare if a person was riding a bicycle or not. (This will give us better data in the future.)

The maximum sentence for community service would be 48 hours, compared to as much as 500 hours if you were driving.

People convicted of bicycle DUI will not be required to attend a victim impact treatment session.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Twerk from Home posted:

No loving clue because every time I visit I feel like I'm putting my life in my own hands by doing risky stuff like "walking on the sidewalk" and "crossing at a marked crosswalk."

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Hell yeah looks like BUI is back on the menu!

.15% is either completely blasted or hardened alcoholic levels of drunk. That's stonkingly drunk.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

you know, maybe it could be worse.

Yes, the only bad thing cars do is kill people.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BonHair posted:

Yes, the only bad thing cars do is kill people.

But did they die of car crash or with car crash?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Twerk from Home posted:

Like the Seattle Freeze, we have unique adaptations to people here to be more car aware and be ready to jump out of the way like gazelles.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

.15% is either completely blasted or hardened alcoholic levels of drunk. That's stonkingly drunk.
That's twice the level at which your reaction times are already doubled lol

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Platystemon posted:

But did they die of car crash or with car crash?

The cause of death was massive internal bleeding, possibly from a preexisting condition.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

That's twice the level at which your reaction times are already doubled lol

I can’t imagine trying to bike at that level of intoxication. I can barely walk when I’m that blasted (skill issue)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm going biking tonight to party but it would be very very difficult for me to hit .15% even with the strong intention to do so

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

There are few pleasures in life like a slow cruise with your pals and maybe a brew or 2.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

i'm going biking tonight to party but it would be very very difficult for me to hit .15% even with the strong intention to do so

Stay safe on the ride back, lots of drunks on the road tonight. That goes for everyone else. Let's have a safe and happy New Year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Albinator posted:

Nashville is the most pedestrian unfriendly place I've walked around, other than that one strip downtown. Unrelentingly hostile.

I picked a random part of the city to look at and lmao

https://maps.app.goo.gl/U5Sw9DC1w6MxSGiHA?g_st=ic