Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Speaking of file systems. Is there a way to be able to plug in a flash drive or external hard drive and be able to write to it or move/delete/rename files without having to go in the drat terminal every time? This happens with my NAS too and I haven't found a way to automatically chown/chmod the entire volume when it mounts.

I'm running Fedora and the flash drives and external HDs are fat32 or NTFS, the NAS is a Synology DS1515. My last windows computer only gets booted up to put music on a USB stick to play in the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

IME with base Fedora and RH, it Just works™

I plug in the drive and it mounts automatically.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SpeedFreek posted:

Speaking of file systems. Is there a way to be able to plug in a flash drive or external hard drive and be able to write to it or move/delete/rename files without having to go in the drat terminal every time? This happens with my NAS too and I haven't found a way to automatically chown/chmod the entire volume when it mounts.

I'm running Fedora and the flash drives and external HDs are fat32 or NTFS, the NAS is a Synology DS1515. My last windows computer only gets booted up to put music on a USB stick to play in the car.
Does Linux have a notion of usermounts?

On FreeBSD, I can set the vfs.usermount OID with sysctl(8), and mount_msdosfs(8) as an example lets me set both UID and GID using flags on the commandline or via automount(8).

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

SpeedFreek posted:

Automounting hot plug storage with write permissions for the user logged in at the console is one of the things systemd fixed.

It's also one of the ways malware spread on early Macintosh computers.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

SpeedFreek posted:

I think you want udisks2 and/or udiskie. I assumed fedora would have those set up.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Yeah Fedora has automounted usb drives for like, forever man. I can't remember the last time I needed to do it manually. If it is luks encrypted it prompts for the password.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I've never had to manually mount a USB stick on Fedora.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Does Linux have a notion of usermounts?

Sort of. You can twiddle permissions to make it work.

Plan 9 did user mounts in a totally kickass way, where even the editor provides a user mount. You can control the editor by writing to files in the mount with a shell script. It's really cool to like "echo 21 > ~/.acme/window12/lineno" (I made this up, but the real way isn't much different.)

The difference is that in Plan 9, everybody with an account gets to mount things, and in Linux, you need special permissions. I suspect that cgroups2 has a lot of untapped potential here, though.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Klyith posted:

I don't think I've seen a program gently caress up CR/LF in over a decade.

One app I use on linux fails on text files encoded in Windows-1252 if they have particular non-ascii characters. I had a lot of recipes saved with ° or ½ characters that it barfed on. But that is ReText, not a standard widely-used text editor like Kate or Gnome Text. Normal apps, no problem.

Steam wont see a shared game install if the app manifest isnt formatted correctly (or at least used to and i do it out of habit).

Every once in a while I install a game on linux and it (thankfully rarely these days) runs like poo poo, I decide to run it on windows. I mount my windows NTFS partition and move it and the app manifest file over into the steam directory and you just have to remove a couple of lines from the manifest that tell steam it was running on linux. You also have to convert the line endings or it want read it and when you boot up windows it'll start trying to download it (or just not see it at all, I forget).

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I am struggling with udev and I think I'm missing something really stupid.

I want it to set the number of virtual functions for SR-IOV on an Intel X520 via the sysfs interface. Following the guide here: https://access.redhat.com/documenta...pci_passthrough

What I can't figure out is why the rule works when the rules file is named after the device name (in this case, enp1s0f0). I have it named '10-test-nic.rules' right now and it just does not trigger.

Not that I'm changing / moving around PCIe devices that much in this box, but I want the most 'robust' rule in this case which is...

1. ixgbe driver gets modprobed
2. For each add action, check interface MAC and then apply the VFs setting.

Used udevadm monitor to watch what happens:

code:
UDEV  [3699.768168] add      /module/ixgbe (module)
ACTION=add
DEVPATH=/module/ixgbe
SUBSYSTEM=module
SEQNUM=15407
USEC_INITIALIZED=3699768092

UDEV  [3699.768187] add      /bus/pci/drivers/ixgbe (drivers)
ACTION=add
DEVPATH=/bus/pci/drivers/ixgbe
SUBSYSTEM=drivers
SEQNUM=15406
USEC_INITIALIZED=3699768100

UDEV  [3699.799883] add      /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.1/net/enp1s0f1 (net)
ACTION=add
DEVPATH=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.1/net/enp1s0f1
SUBSYSTEM=net
INTERFACE=enp1s0f1
IFINDEX=49
SEQNUM=15275
USEC_INITIALIZED=3699796177
ID_NET_NAMING_SCHEME=v252
ID_NET_NAME_MAC=enx0cc47a1df501
ID_OUI_FROM_DATABASE=Super Micro Computer, Inc.
ID_NET_NAME_PATH=enp1s0f1
ID_BUS=pci
ID_VENDOR_ID=0x8086
ID_MODEL_ID=0x10fb
ID_PCI_CLASS_FROM_DATABASE=Network controller
ID_PCI_SUBCLASS_FROM_DATABASE=Ethernet controller
ID_VENDOR_FROM_DATABASE=Intel Corporation
ID_MODEL_FROM_DATABASE=82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection (AOC-STGN-i2S)
ID_PATH=pci-0000:01:00.1
ID_PATH_TAG=pci-0000_01_00_1
ID_NET_DRIVER=ixgbe
ID_NET_LINK_FILE=/usr/lib/systemd/network/99-default.link
ID_NET_NAME=enp1s0f1
SYSTEMD_ALIAS=/sys/subsystem/net/devices/enp1s0f1
ID_RENAMING=1
INTERFACE_OLD=eth0
TAGS=:systemd:
CURRENT_TAGS=:systemd:
Currently, my test file is just:

code:
# Setup VFs for Intel NIC

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="net", ENV{ID_NET_DRIVER}=="ixgbe", ATTR{device/sriov_numvfs}="8"
What am I missing?? Above works when file is named enp1s0f0.rules but not when anything else. I could just "have" it work by naming properly, but I'd rather understand why...

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I may need to file a bug report for Debian, so I'm here asking for help for two things. First, if I have to file a bug report what all should I do? What information and logs and stuff about this sorta problem should I give them? And also, hell, what is even going on here? Because maybe it's not a bug and something is screwed up that's fixable.

I'm running Debian Testing
The only thing I did recently on that machine was an apt upgrade, and I did do one that day so that seems like it's the source of the problem. I don't think it updated qbittorrent, because the last update that got pushed to testing was almost 3 weeks ago, but something else might be the cause?

I had qbittorrent running, restarted it, and it crashes on startup now. I copied over my config for it and started with a new one, still crashes. I reinstalled qbittorrent, nothing. I run it as root and it doesn't crash. So, a permissions thing? But I havent changed any permissions to anything.

This is what it dumps in a terminal when it crashes, even though it says to file it with qbittorrent I think this is actually more the kind of thing I file with debian, right?
code:
Please file a bug report at https://bug.qbittorrent.org and provide the following information:

qBittorrent version: v4.6.2

Caught signal: SIGSEGV
```
 0# getStacktrace[abi:cxx11]() in qbittorrent
 1# 0x0000560295E89DD6 in qbittorrent
 2# 0x00007F714AC5A510 in /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
 3# nonstd::expected_lite::detail::storage_t<BitTorrent::LoadTorrentParams, QString, true, true>::storage_t(nonstd::expected_lite::detail::storage_t<BitTorrent::LoadTorrentParams, QString, true, true> const&) in qbittorrent
 4# BitTorrent::ResumeDataStorage::onResumeDataLoaded(BitTorrent::TorrentID const&, nonstd::expected_lite::expected<BitTorrent::LoadTorrentParams, QString> const&) const in qbittorrent
 5# BitTorrent::BencodeResumeDataStorage::doLoadAll() const in qbittorrent
 6# 0x0000560295ECB3D0 in qbittorrent
 7# std::__future_base::_State_baseV2::_M_do_set(std::function<std::unique_ptr<std::__future_base::_Result_base, std::__future_base::_Result_base::_Deleter> ()>*, bool*) in qbittorrent
 8# 0x00007F714ACAB267 in /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
 9# 0x0000560295ECB802 in qbittorrent
10# 0x00007F714B403505 in /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt6Core.so.6
11# 0x00007F714B470679 in /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt6Core.so.6
12# 0x00007F714ACA63EC in /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
13# 0x00007F714AD26A4C in /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
```

QObject: Cannot create children for a parent that is in a different thread.
(Parent is Application(0x5602977286c0), parent's thread is QThread(0x560297723470), current thread is QThread(0x560297897ed0)
^CCatching signal: SIGINT
(I have to ctrl+c out of it because its just a big crashed window that wont close otherwise)

I did an strace on it, too https://pastebin.com/raw/yMKWrbK6

None of this makes any sense to me, I cant even really tell what's crashing here and none of that gives any useful information to me. So, anyone have any idea what's going on? Does this look like a bug or like I just have something messed up? If it is a bug how do I file this as a bug report (like, what do I need to include or do to get more logs and stuff)

edit: Oh wait drat, I think it's this?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

BrainDance posted:

I may need to file a bug report for Debian, so I'm here asking for help for two things. First, if I have to file a bug report what all should I do? What information and logs and stuff about this sorta problem should I give them? And also, hell, what is even going on here? Because maybe it's not a bug and something is screwed up that's fixable.

I'm running Debian Testing
The only thing I did recently on that machine was an apt upgrade, and I did do one that day so that seems like it's the source of the problem. I don't think it updated qbittorrent, because the last update that got pushed to testing was almost 3 weeks ago, but something else might be the cause?

I had qbittorrent running, restarted it, and it crashes on startup now. I copied over my config for it and started with a new one, still crashes. I reinstalled qbittorrent, nothing. I run it as root and it doesn't crash. So, a permissions thing? But I havent changed any permissions to anything.

This is what it dumps in a terminal when it crashes, even though it says to file it with qbittorrent I think this is actually more the kind of thing I file with debian, right?
code:
Please file a bug report at https://bug.qbittorrent.org and provide the following information:

qBittorrent version: v4.6.2

Caught signal: SIGSEGV
```
 0# getStacktrace[abi:cxx11]() in qbittorrent
 1# 0x0000560295E89DD6 in qbittorrent
 2# 0x00007F714AC5A510 in /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
 3# nonstd::expected_lite::detail::storage_t<BitTorrent::LoadTorrentParams, QString, true, true>::storage_t(nonstd::expected_lite::detail::storage_t<BitTorrent::LoadTorrentParams, QString, true, true> const&) in qbittorrent
 4# BitTorrent::ResumeDataStorage::onResumeDataLoaded(BitTorrent::TorrentID const&, nonstd::expected_lite::expected<BitTorrent::LoadTorrentParams, QString> const&) const in qbittorrent
 5# BitTorrent::BencodeResumeDataStorage::doLoadAll() const in qbittorrent
 6# 0x0000560295ECB3D0 in qbittorrent
 7# std::__future_base::_State_baseV2::_M_do_set(std::function<std::unique_ptr<std::__future_base::_Result_base, std::__future_base::_Result_base::_Deleter> ()>*, bool*) in qbittorrent
 8# 0x00007F714ACAB267 in /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
 9# 0x0000560295ECB802 in qbittorrent
10# 0x00007F714B403505 in /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt6Core.so.6
11# 0x00007F714B470679 in /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt6Core.so.6
12# 0x00007F714ACA63EC in /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
13# 0x00007F714AD26A4C in /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
```

QObject: Cannot create children for a parent that is in a different thread.
(Parent is Application(0x5602977286c0), parent's thread is QThread(0x560297723470), current thread is QThread(0x560297897ed0)
^CCatching signal: SIGINT
(I have to ctrl+c out of it because its just a big crashed window that wont close otherwise)

I did an strace on it, too https://pastebin.com/raw/yMKWrbK6

None of this makes any sense to me, I cant even really tell what's crashing here and none of that gives any useful information to me. So, anyone have any idea what's going on? Does this look like a bug or like I just have something messed up? If it is a bug how do I file this as a bug report (like, what do I need to include or do to get more logs and stuff)

edit: Oh wait drat, I think it's this?
Debian -- Debian BTS - reporting bugs

mystes
May 31, 2006

just use debian's very modern bug tracking system. oh wait

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I just got a message from my partner back home, who thinks he has found a high-tech solution to his weird greyscreen crash problems:

He also managed to roll his Manjaro install back to a working btrfs snapshot, which is impressive given how thoroughly trashed the file system appeared to be.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

My 7900XT came with a support in the box, so it's not that much of a reach.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

AlexDeGruven posted:

My 7900XT came with a support in the box, so it's not that much of a reach.

Same for the 3090 and 4090 cards we bought at work, the MSI ones had a very nice stand. I wonder if anyone has thought about bringing back the old design where front of the card slides into a slot in the front of the case?

E: Actually, don't some of the brand name workstations have designs like that?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

What if they brought back the old design where you installed cards vertically instead of horizontally?

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I have an external NTFS hard drive that I'm trying to use for a homelab and it keeps getting mounted to a path I used on another linux machine, even though I've never used it with this machine before. I checked fstab and there's nothing in there.
Is this some systemd trickery? Or the mount paths are preserved on the drive itself somehow?

If I remember correctly all I did on the other machine was run mount for that disk

-edit-
Found it was systemd-mount by running systemd-mount --list

Still not sure why it's mounting the disk under my home directory, man page says it should be run/media/system :shrug:

I'll figure it out

neosloth fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 27, 2023

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

pseudorandom name posted:

What if they brought back the old design where you installed cards vertically instead of horizontally?

There are cases like that, and often they use a short riser cable to make the card parallel to the motherboard as well. No need to change the design, just rotate the regular motherboard clockwise.

The downside is that now you have all cables coming out of the top of the case, requiring extra space and a plastic cover to not look like a Predator with male pattern baldness. I guess you could have only the GPU flipped up if the riser cable could twist 90 degrees, but I suspect the specs of e.g. PCIe 5.0 make it hard to build a long/flexible enough cable without causing issues. Plus the CPU cooler would be in the way.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

You do know that they once made horizontal cases, right?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

There are also nothing that keeps you from laying a tower case on its side, except that they're typically huge.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

D'oh :doh: My last case was actually one such too, Core V1, and that style is still in production. But it was a mini-ITX case, which is the only reason it had a reasonable footprint (with the PSU stacked below the mobo).

We stopped plopping monitors on top of cases due to both weight and ergonomics, so if you wanted a mATX or ATX desktop case, I guess you'd need either a really large desk or one of those under-desk case holders, but horizontal.

e: I spent a fair bit of time looking at XTIA design cases when building my new PC last year, so that style was on my mind.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 27, 2023

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Is there a way to alt tab via the command line (on KDE)?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mr. Crow posted:

Is there a way to alt tab via the command line (on KDE)?

Give wmctl (Xorg) or wlrctl (Wayland) a try

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

mawarannahr posted:

Give wmctl (Xorg) or wlrctl (Wayland) a try

wlrctl doesnt seem to exist in fedora or work with kde from a quick search? I am on wayland though forgot to mention.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mr. Crow posted:

wlrctl doesnt seem to exist in fedora or work with kde from a quick search? I am on wayland though forgot to mention.

Hmm. Maybe wtype or ydotool? These are designed to send key combinations on Wayland. It looks like wtype is packaged for Fedora; ydotool, you must build from source.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

They still do, but 4U rackmount cases tend to be a lot more expensive than towers. Silverstone has a few HTPC models out there that are priced more like consumer cases though.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 29, 2023

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

mawarannahr posted:

Hmm. Maybe wtype or ydotool? These are designed to send key combinations on Wayland. It looks like wtype is packaged for Fedora; ydotool, you must build from source.

Nope, "doesn't support the virutal keyboard protocol".

God wayland is so annoying.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I am having some troubles identifying the source of input lag on my AMD laptop when playing Street Fighter 4 on Steam. I am getting 200+ FPS in the benchmark but I guesstimate the input lag to be in the 100s of milliseconds. In other fighting games, the input lag feels present, but not as bad as in SF4. I don't have a way to measure the input lag.

I'm running Fedora with Sway and a few sources say that Wayland introduces a lot of input lag, but those sources are not very rigorous. What is the best way to get to the bottom of this? I am willing to try X11, but I don't really want to do a complete OS reinstall.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I have no latency issues in Fedora using Gnome in Wayland. Though I've not tried that particular game.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I'm going to guess it's sway as I run fedora with KDE Wayland no issues and played Sf4/5 and 6 with minimal input lag. I've been playing fighting games across multiple platforms for 20+ years, so while I can't give you numbers I'm pretty confident I'd notice.

You should just be able to intall a window manager that supports x11 to test if it's Wayland or not though without switching distro. I3 or xfce would be the light options.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 30, 2023

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
In sway, there's also the "max_render_time" output config option, which can be tuned to reduce lag.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

what if they brought back the old design where GPUs took up a single slot and if you floated the idea of a 1000W GPU people would call you a moron

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Laughs in 3-slot GPU and 850W PSU.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

I'm going to guess it's sway as I run fedora with KDE Wayland no issues and played Sf4/5 and 6 with minimal input lag. I've been playing fighting games across multiple platforms for 20+ years, so while I can't give you numbers I'm pretty confident I'd notice.

You should just be able to intall a window manager that supports x11 to test if it's Wayland or not though without switching distro. I3 or xfce would be the light options.

It turns out the major source of input lag was my MadCatz TE fightstick, whether it was hardware or driver. For some reason when my stick was set to LS, there was a delay added to the inputs. Changing the stick to DP mode seems to have resolved the lag. I'm guessing it's a software implementation to simulate analog movement using a delay.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

Laughs in 3-slot GPU and 850W PSU.

I have a big PSU too but I also have a lot of expansion cards and my 2-slot RTX 2070 is as big a GPU as I would ever want.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I have had to finagle two 4090s into a single normal sized case, and I can not really recommend it. Great for machine learning work, though.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I would simply get a bigger case

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

ziasquinn posted:

I would simply get a bigger case

A bigger case won't get you a bigger motherboard with more slots to put cards in, the days of 7-slot boards are unfortunately long gone and even 5 slot boards are vanishing, so I'm probably going to have to ensure my next build has thunderbolt so I can mount PCIe cards externally. In the end I'll probably have to get a full tower case for my next build anyway because there's no other way to get 2+ external drive bays in a modern case and I use both my Blu-Ray drive and LS-120 floppy drive on a near daily basis.

That said, a lot of my expansion needs could be met with legacy PCI cards and there is an adapter for cases with a vertical GPU slot (my current case doesn't have one) that turns a single PCIe slot into two PCI slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

A bigger case won't get you a bigger motherboard with more slots to put cards in, the days of 7-slot boards are unfortunately long gone and even 5 slot boards are vanishing, so I'm probably going to have to ensure my next build has thunderbolt so I can mount PCIe cards externally. In the end I'll probably have to get a full tower case for my next build anyway because there's no other way to get 2+ external drive bays in a modern case and I use both my Blu-Ray drive and LS-120 floppy drive on a near daily basis.

That said, a lot of my expansion needs could be met with legacy PCI cards and there is an adapter for cases with a vertical GPU slot (my current case doesn't have one) that turns a single PCIe slot into two PCI slots.
A lot of newer cases will have two or three daughterboard slots mounted perpendicular to the motherboard but far enough away that you can put a GPU there using a PCIe extention cable, and still have room to add all the full-height daughterboards that the motherboard can fit.

I ended up putting my SAS HBA and 10G SFP+ NIC there using two PCIe x8 extention cables, because those slots on my motherboard have a redriver, and I couldn't find out if the PCIe 5.0 x16 that's directly connected to the CPU has one.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 31, 2023