Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Movies With Mark is one of my favorite smaller movie channels and he's done the horror satire classic The Stuff which feels like it 100 percent holds up today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfj6SAA_9ec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
I'm pretty sure fun hater has recommended that movie before. its perfect in every way.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Stuff is a true classic. Maybe Larry Cohen’s greatest. Definitely Michael Moriarty’s greatest.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz_JS-tcsKs
Oh didn't realize Trey the Explainer got to 1 million subscribers and did face reveal vid for it. Like how he seems like a good person because ancient history youtubers can be kind of sus.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

nobody who does a Face Reveal is a good person

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
What's a face?

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
One of the things I learned from shotgunning Knowledge Fight is that positioning oneself as the logical endpoint of YouTube's algorithm is very easily doable, and making videos that are comically long is one of the easiest ways to do that. Youtube's autoplay algorithm prioritizes showing a more intense version of whatever's in the viewer's recent YouTube history, so if you just leave YouTube on and let it play, eventually you'll start watching longer and longer videos. Alex Jones used this to make his millions; at the time he was deplatformed, InfoWars had about 20 YouTube channels daily uploading clips from his various shows of various lengths. By the end, random Fox News segments were three or four autoplay videos away from InfoWars.

Quinton and MauLer are absolutely playing the same game, only with video essays and media criticism instead of paranoid crypto-fascist ramblings. A 9 hour video is only going to appeal to someone that wants it as background noise, and people that want YouTube as background noise are also probably going to let the algorithm dictate what they watch, so autoplay will give them Quinton eventually.

Whether or not those videos are good is entirely beside the point. They're unreasonably long because being unreasonably long gets you clicks.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I AM GRANDO posted:

The Stuff is a true classic. Maybe Larry Cohen’s greatest. Definitely Michael Moriarty’s greatest.

I didn't realize until much later Cohen wrote some truly great blaxploitation flicks.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I didn't realize until much later Cohen wrote some truly great blaxploitation flicks.

he also wrote Phone Booth which is crazy lol

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
he wrote the best columbo eps too

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Larry Cohen made a lot of good stuff basically

E: special effects is one of his I consider underseen

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Kunster posted:

I wouldn't call Vinny bad, but the stream that made stop watching was one during his Skies of Arcadia playthrus where at some point, he tells me about the Norm McDonald 4/20 Hitler bit and he rambles about it, in half finished mushed up sentences constantly for nearly 2 hours, only stopping for around the end where he apologizes... over being stuck on a lil dungeon for like 20 minutes. He probably changed after like... 9 years? But that moment will be stuck to my mind any time I hear about him.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-dt9nZO9iew&pp=ygUXdHViYnkgY3VzdGFyZCB2aW5lc2F1Y2U%3D

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHakQgEoXd8

hey Warlockracy finally made a video about Age of Decadence

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kunster posted:

I wouldn't call Vinny bad, but the stream that made stop watching was one during his Skies of Arcadia playthrus where at some point, he tells me about the Norm McDonald 4/20 Hitler bit and he rambles about it, in half finished mushed up sentences constantly for nearly 2 hours, only stopping for around the end where he apologizes... over being stuck on a lil dungeon for like 20 minutes. He probably changed after like... 9 years? But that moment will be stuck to my mind any time I hear about him.

It's funny that's when you jumped off, 2014 is the year he quit smoking and his depressing job. Skies of Arcadia is like genuinely the turning point where he stops being so mumbly and tired.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

The best thing about Darth Icky is it is genuinely impossible to know if George Lucas suggest this so the Force Unleashed developers would leave him alone or if he thought it was a good idea.

it is because he thought their edgelord game character was extremely lame and didn't deserve a sith title. this comes through better in the full story where he tosses out 3 or 4 progressively worse suggestions as they sit there and squirm awkwardly

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jazerus posted:

it is because he thought their edgelord game character was extremely lame and didn't deserve a sith title. this comes through better in the full story where he tosses out 3 or 4 progressively worse suggestions as they sit there and squirm awkwardly

Thats a funny story, but the man who wrote Anakin Skywalker shouldn’t be judging anyone for the lameness of their characters.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
george lucas is cool as hell

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
making a dumb name canon on live television to annoy wookiepedia ftw

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Jizz music

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
The cowards changed the name to jatz music.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
george lucas bluntly saying star wars is for 12 year olds ftw

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes will always be jizz wailers in my heart.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i don’t like Lucas changing the movies

But I also think mcclunky is hilarious

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
needo the greedo

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think I rather have Lucas changing his film every release because he felt the compulsion than the "holy crap, it's Glupp Shitto!" nonsense it has devolved in to.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yoda met Chewbacca in the prequels, and Lucas was heavily involved in the 3D Clone Wars cartoon which has plenty of that stuff too.

Jazerus posted:

One of the key moments of the prequels involves the name "Darth Plagueis the Wise" being said casually and with a straight face.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jimbot posted:

I think I rather have Lucas changing his film every release because he felt the compulsion than the "holy crap, it's Glupp Shitto!" nonsense it has devolved in to.

I don’t want anything to be changed. I like how it was

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Elan Sleazebaggano.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Alaois posted:

Based and boomer coded

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Alaois posted:

Game owns, and breaks my balls every time I try to play it.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Miltiades is such a good character lol

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I AM GRANDO posted:

Q the Winged Serpent

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I found this Youtube channel of some people that still do the horror host schtick introducing movies of questionable quality with interstitial breaks/bits. (think Elvira or Joe Bob Briggs)

It's terribly cheesy but I'm glad there are people keeping that alive. Also, it got me to watch The Boneyard again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9H0OZBtL4U

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 31, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Unperson_47 posted:

I found this Youtube channel of some people that still do the horror host schtick introducing movies of questionable quality with interstitial breaks/bits. (think Elvira or Joe Bob Briggs)

It's terribly cheesy but I'm glad there are people keeping that alive. Also, it got me to watch The Boneyard again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9H0OZBtL4U

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhXxHLpp_rhFvDZMDRrgHRY-hZyj5cEsA&si=8kzF9CStCys9b6_E

Lenora’s Midnight Rental, created+hosted by Found Footage Fest collaborator Laura Wimbels (not sure if I spelled it right) is a video essay/discussion show but it keeps that framing/format, complete with the skits and breaks for commercial and all that. Really excellent series, currently on interseason hiatus, arguably the best thing FFF is publishing online right now.

She just did a two-part on Tales from the Crypt and got Bobcat Goldthwait (who starred in a notable ep) and John Kassir (the voice of the Crypt Keeper) on as guests.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Dec 31, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fun hater posted:

i seem to remember some weird dork acting like they knew vinny was bad all along and was going to share stories and then suddenly shut up when it turned out to be fake

e: redbard, whose videos were always barely tolerable lol

redbard made a video about THE WORST CON EVER recently and its like 90% the minutiae of the people who ran the con including personal details that are extremely not relevant at all and 10% stories about why the con broke down

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

do i need a video of this guy talking about his home gardening on facebook because he ran a bad con 15 years ago. are these carrots sinister.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

do i need a video of this guy talking about his home gardening on facebook because he ran a bad con 15 years ago. are these carrots sinister.

how else am i gonna justify this youtube thumbail where i mug at a turnip with the text "VEGETABLES of EVIL??"

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I tracked down the VappyVap \ Full Sauce playlist and heard it at 10x speed, skipping around to see if I could find the specific episode where this happened. The fact that it had a couple hidden videos in between +

Pigbuster posted:

It's funny that's when you jumped off, 2014 is the year he quit smoking and his depressing job. Skies of Arcadia is like genuinely the turning point where he stops being so mumbly and tired.

makes a lot of sense. There's no way Vappy or Vinny would have heard 2 hours of "........... oddd.... looooking....... duuuuuck.......... hitler............... sick.......joke" and thought that was worth perserving.

There's way more joy de vivre going on there. Yeah I've watched some of the recent video highlights and looks like I've missed quite a bunch these past 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

trilobite terror posted:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhXxHLpp_rhFvDZMDRrgHRY-hZyj5cEsA&si=8kzF9CStCys9b6_E

Lenora’s Midnight Rental, created+hosted by Found Footage Fest collaborator Laura Wimbels (not sure if I spelled it right) is a video essay/discussion show but it keeps that framing/format, complete with the skits and breaks for commercial and all that. Really excellent series, currently on interseason hiatus, arguably the best thing FFF is publishing online right now.

She just did a two-part on Tales from the Crypt and got Bobcat Goldthwait (who starred in a notable ep) and John Kassir (the voice of the Crypt Keeper) on as guests.

It’s really great. I want to put in a word for FFF’s Saturday morning cartoon series as well, which has the terrible title Shaturday Morning Cartoons. The FFF guys are the least interesting part, but Caitlin McGurk of the Ireland cartoon museum at Ohio State is a frequent guest and is extremely knowledgable about comics and cartoon history, and sometimes she gets a second guest who is an actual cartoonist. The episode where they watch the Swamp Thing cartoon has Steve Bissette, for example, who drew Swamp Thing when Alan Moore was writing it. I’ve learned a lot from watching it.